PDA

View Full Version : Training a Roc?

PrGo
2009-01-21, 06:00 PM
In a 3.5 game my friends and I are running, we encountered a Roc, and after finding its nest we killed it and its young ones (half of our party is evil, and the other half was just plain hungry) except for one that the druid insisted we leave alive. He plans to train him to be a combat mount.

So my question is:
Can you tell me if it says somewhere about training a Roc for riding?
And if not, can you help me with the DC-s and the time for making it grow from a Small 3HD pigeon to the 18HD Gargantuan Killing Eagle of Doom?

Thanks in advance :smallbiggrin:

Temp.
2009-01-21, 06:08 PM
It's going to work just like it would with any non-animal with low Int: add 5 to the stock DC under Handle Animal in the PHB and run with it. This means DC 25 for the default "Combat Riding" package.

Aging is going to be up to the DM. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you, though.

Lycanthromancer
2009-01-21, 06:10 PM
The warbeast template, from MM2, will help with the training bit.

And if you can get it trained in a week or two, a well-placed bestow curse (with the options granted in the BoVD) will age it to Young Adult status instantly.

newbDM
2009-01-21, 06:11 PM
If I am remembering correctly, the Arms & Equipment Guide covers training magical beasts and even sentient creatures.

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-21, 06:23 PM
And if not, can you help me with the DC-s and the time for making it grow from a Small 3HD pigeon to the 18HD Gargantuan Killing Eagle of Doom?

"Small" describes a pidgeon the size of a greyhound, mind you. And if half your party is evil and the other half is cool with that, a bestow curse does sound like your best bet; barring shenanigans, it should take years for a bird that size to reach maturity.

bosssmiley
2009-01-22, 08:41 AM
Info on training monsters is found under Handle Animal in the Epic Skill use section of the SRD (link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#handleAnimal)). The DCs are - of course - completely pants-on-head-pencils-up-nose-and-say-"wubble!" insane.

PrGo
2009-01-22, 09:14 AM
Thank you a lot, fellas!
This will help quite a bit, but I gotta find my long-ago-misplaced Arms and Equipment guide.
Anyways, thank you again :smallbiggrin: