PDA

View Full Version : BODYGUAD BASE CLASS!!!!!!!! YAY! (DND)

The Black Prince
2006-10-11, 07:41 PM
I was just wandering around when I came up with the idea for this class. Is it good? Unbalanced? Cool? Please Respond Peeps. The table progression is below. The body guard has good BAB, Good Will and Fort saves and many other abilities. So you might want to check the table.

Bodyguard
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Protect The Principle +1, +5ft. Stay Away From Him ¼

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Improved Initiative +2, Exotic Weapon Proficiency

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Protect The Principle +2, +5ft

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Stay Away From Him 1/2, Exotic Weapon Proficiency

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+5|Fighter Bonus Feat, Improved Initiative +4

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+5|
8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+6|Protect The Principle +3, +10ft

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+6|

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+7|Stay Away From Him 3/4

11th|
+11|
+7|
+3|
+7|

12th|
+12|
+8|
+4|
+8|Protect The Principle +4 +10ft., Improved Initiative +6

13th|
+13|
+8|
+4|
+8| Exotic Weapon Proficiency
14th|
+14|
+9|
+4|
+9|

15th|
+15|
+9|
+5|
+9|Stay Away From Him Full

16th|
+16|
+10|
+5|
+10| Protect The Principle +5 +15ft.

17th|
+17|
+10|
+5|
+10|Exotic Weapon Proficiency

18th|
+18|
+11|
+6|
+11|Fighter Bonus Feat, Improved Initiative +8

19th|
+19|
+11|
+6|
+11|
20th|
+20|
+12|
+6|
+12|Protect The Principle +6 +15ft, Stay Away From Him DR 1/4[/table]
Below are the Unarmed Combat damage (which is the same as a small Monk's) And the AC bonus (Which is also similar to the monk's)

Lvl. Unarmed AC Bonus
1 1d4 +0
2 1d4 +0
3 1d4 +0
4 1d6 +1
5 1d6 +1
6 1d6 +1
7 1d6 +2
8 1d8 +2
9 1d8 +2
10 1d8 +3
11 1d8 +3
12 1d10 +3
13 1d10 +3
14 1d10 +4
15 1d10 +4
16 2d6 +4
17 2d6 +5
18 2d6 +5
19 2d6 +5
20 2d8 +6
As long as there have been people to protect there have been bodyguards to protect them. They Are characters of simple intent, to protect their principle at all costs. A bodyguard can have Only 1 principle and 2 sub-principles at a time. (No excessive changing of Principles/Sub-Principles guys).
Adventures: Bodyguards go wherever their principles go, be it Asia, Africa or the Continent Down Under.
Characteristics: Bodyguards are defensive melee characters. They make their opponents bring the fight to them so they can protect their principle more effectively.
Alignment: Bodyguards can be of any alignment, but tend toward law over chaos as it gives them order to focus on protecting their principle to the utmost.
Religion: As in alignment bodyguards can worship any deity, but tend towards lawful deities over chaotic ones.
Background: Many bodyguards train as fighters until the need arises to protect someone, so their backgrounds vary considerably.
Races: Bodyguards are mostly humans because they are more paranoid and commonly opulent then most, but bodyguards can be any race as the need arises.
Other Classes: Bodyguards revere the Monk’s inner calm and sense of spiritual duty, and like the Fighter’s brute strength. Although they think Paladins are to much and Barbarians have to little self-control.
Role: The bodyguard is a defensive melee/ranged combat character and finds it helpful to stick around their principle protecting him as needed.

Game Rule Information
Bodyguards have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Strength is important for a bodyguard’s combat abilities and constitution for the same reason. Dexterity is important to a bodyguard’s AC and charisma is important as many bodyguard class skills depend on it. Wisdom is important for a bodyguard’s Heal skill and for his (optional) AC bonus.
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d10
Class Skills
The bodyguard’s class skills are: Appraise (int), Bluff (cha), Climb (str), Craft (int), Diplomacy (cha), Gather Information (cha), Heal (wis), Intimidate (cha), Listen (wis), Move Silently (dex), Profession (Bodyguard) (wis), Ride (dex), Search (int), Sense Motive (wis), Spot (wis), and Survival (wis).
Skills at first level: 4*(int modifier +4)
Skills at every other level: 4 + int modifier
Class Features
All of the following are class skills of the Bodyguard .
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A bodyguard is proficient with all simple and martial weapons. A bodyguard is also proficient with all armor and shields (including tower shields).

Special ability: At first level a bodyguard chooses a special ability either unarmed combat or an an AC bonus like the monk's. Unarmed combat works exactly as if the bodyguard were an equal level monk. The AC bonus is a dodge bonus which allows the bodyguard to add his wisdom modifier to this bonus. (NOTE: You only add the wis bonus if you choose the AC modifier, and if you chose AC you lose it if you wear Medium or Hevy armor.) This bonus can be transferred to a bodyguard’s principle or sub-principle as a dodge bonus only if the subject is adjacent to him.
Protect The Principle: Whenever a bodyguard sees his principle in danger he snaps into action. He gains a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls when he knows that his principle or sub-principle and a 5’ speed increase. The attack/damage bonus increases by 1 every 4 levels, and the speed increase becomes 5’ more every 8 levels.
Stay Away From him: A bodyguard can produce an effect like shield other on his principle when he is in danger. At first level a bodyguard that is adjacent to his principle can take ¼ of his damage for him (round down). Every 5 levels he can take ¼ more damage and at 20th level he can take all of his principles damage with a DR of ¼.
Improved Initiative: When in an encounter with an ally a bodyguard gains +2 initiative. This bonus increases by 2 at 6th, 12th and 18th levels.
Fighter Bonus Feats: Every 6 levels after 6th a bodyguard gains a bonus feat selected from the list of fighter bonus feats. For these bonus feats a bodyguard’s level counts as fighter levels for the purpose of overcoming feat prerequisites.
Exotic Weapon Proficiency: You gain the exotic weapon proficiency as a bonus feat.

Beldak
2006-10-12, 09:08 AM
I like the flavor and certain things are good, but:

A few things that I think need to be considered, the first is that a one level dip into Bodyguard comes with three new abilities and two or more exotic weapon proficienties, all martial, and all armor and shield. You run a heavy risk of having noone take this class for more then one level because of that. I think this could be fixed by bumping improved init and one exotic weapon proficiency up to a level 2 ability and puting other exotic weapon proficiencies on the table higher. If they are getting monk armor bonus, I would eliminate armor proficiencies, but keep the shield prof, those make sense.

Secondly, I think it has a lawful flavor and you should make it a non-chaotic class.

Thirdly, I worry about levels 2 and 13. I think you could spread the abilities out more to make these worth while.

Lastly, what exactly do you mean by &quot;choose either unarmed combat or AC bonus&quot;? Do you mean you get to choose between having the monk wis to ac or just the +to bonus AC? I would just reword that to be more specific.

The Black Prince
2006-10-12, 05:14 PM
I took into account your opinion. I really like the I dea of moving up some abilities, and you get the wis bonus as a package deal with the AC bonus.

Edit: I know people are reading this I have 104 reads! Please post your ideas. I uploaded this for a reason.