PDA

View Full Version : SwordSage varient questions

RagnaroksChosen
2009-01-22, 08:38 AM
First of all has any one run a Swordsage variant that lets you cast spells? Or where you can cast arcane instead of the menuvers? How did it go was it unbalanced?

So I was thinking about asking my GM if I could use a different spell list with the varient swordsage.
I was thinking the ranger one and going for an archery root. 1. Is this to powerfull/underpowered? 2. Would you let it in your game?
Also do think using some of the other lists like paladin/assasin/hexblade so on and so on would be to powerful?

Dragonmuncher
2009-01-22, 09:55 AM
Hm... have you looked at the Duskblade, in the PHB 2? It's a mage/fighter class that is supposedly quite well done.

Not really sure what you mean by a "swordsage who casts spells," if that's not it.

Emperor Tippy
2009-01-22, 10:05 AM
Not really sure what you mean by a "swordsage who casts spells," if that's not it.

Arcane Swordsage is a swordsage variant listed in Tome of Battle. Instead of picking maneuvers you choose spells from the sorcerer/wizard spell list but you keep the regular recovery mechanic. Throw in Adaptive Style and you can recover all of your spells known as a full round action (and if the DM rules that that doesn't work you can still recover a spell per round).

Pick a spell without an expensive material or XP component, say teleport, and you can use it virtually all day without cost.

To the OP: Most any spell list you can come up with won't be enough to make the Arcane Swordsage not broken.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-01-22, 10:14 AM
Arcane Swordsage is a swordsage variant listed in Tome of Battle. Instead of picking maneuvers you choose spells from the sorcerer/wizard spell list but you keep the regular recovery mechanic. Throw in Adaptive Style and you can recover all of your spells known as a full round action (and if the DM rules that that doesn't work you can still recover a spell per round).

Awesome! Infinite Timestops! :smallbiggrin:

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-22, 10:21 AM
I thought it was limited to Evocation, Abjuration or Transmutation? (I think that's what someone said a while back anyway.)

RagnaroksChosen
2009-01-22, 10:26 AM

Pick a spell without an expensive material or XP component, say teleport, and you can use it virtually all day without cost.

To the OP: Most any spell list you can come up with won't be enough to make the Arcane Swordsage not broken.

Fair enough i wasn't sure.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-01-22, 10:29 AM
I thought it was limited to Evocation, Abjuration or Transmutation? (I think that's what someone said a while back anyway.)

Even if it is, Infinite Polymorphs/day would be pretty awesome.

Townopolis
2009-01-22, 11:51 AM
I'm pretty sure you can choose a combination of spells and maneuvers as an arcane swordsage. So if you have 7 maneuvers known, you could have 3 spells and 4 maneuvers or 6 spells and 1 maneuver, etc... etc...

Meat Shield
2009-01-22, 12:25 PM
Spells would certainly get around the limitation of most all maneuvers being melee only. Giving a swordsage some sort of effective ranged ability makes them even more uber.

FMArthur
2009-01-22, 01:37 PM
You can still only ready one usage of a spell at a time, though, so repeated casts of the same spell don't work unless you can spend a round in between recovering it.

wadledo
2009-01-22, 03:03 PM
But still, wow.
Especially if it allows you to get higher level spells at half-class like normal maneuvers.
It would be edging on broken, but not all the way there.
Very fun at least, kinda like playing a beguiler but without the focus on enchantment.

Hat-Trick
2009-01-22, 05:00 PM
The arcane swordsage isn't limited to any school of magic, it's just that spells from Evocation, Transmutation, and Abjuration are the best suited, at least that's my interpretation of the variant explanation. I also says touch and personal range spells are effective for an arcane swordsage, and that they should loose their light armor and to drop the HD to d6.

... You all probably knew the last bit.