PDA

View Full Version : the Crimson Gale IC

Vox Clamantis
2009-01-22, 10:17 AM
'Call her 'the Gale' and treat her fancy.'
- Captain Meroveus' formula for welcoming new hands

It was a bitter cold winter, with frequent storms to freeze the rigging and slick her deck with frost any ship who chanced a voyage. Few merchantmen would dare to sail far from land in such weather, and few pirates would dare to berth too long for fear of the bounty upon their heads. So the pirates froze and starved at sea and the sailors of the merchant marine grew fat and disorderly in seaside taverns, each yearning for the end of the season and the resumption of their turbulent affair with the sea.

The Crimson Gale, her crew more daring than most, settled into a smuggler's cove and let anchor for the duration. There she sat with a skeleton crew in her hold while the remainder enjoyed the respite and counted their shares. Some took their chances on the open road and were caught and hung, while others made their way in from the coast to barter and trade in the cities that knew nothing of piracy. Members of the crew came and went at whim, there being no contract to honor or break. A pirate sails for his own reasons and at his own discretion.

Throughout it all, the Captain stayed aboard ship, locked in his cabin or taking his ease upon the polished deck, eager to make for open waters. A quarter century at sea had conditioned him too well to the roll of the waves and the salt of the sea breezes. Dry land was foreign to him, and upon it he trespassed infrequently and with strange formality.

---

The end of the season has come, and what members of the crew intend to set sail again are returning to the hidden berth of the Crimson Gale. A shallow inlet protects the Gale from coastal currents, and a small shack with a trap door under the rug has enough room in its basement for supplies and several long tables. It is customary for pirates to decide matters of a voyage ashore, where the captain holds no authority. 'Tis morning of the day before you've agreed to meet, but only the captain and a handful of the crew have yet returned.

Introduce yourselves by making an appearance in what manner and at which time you deem fitting. If you have never sailed with this crew before, include some reference to how you discovered the location of the secret cove.

Polymath
2009-01-22, 02:17 PM
Alluvial

The old Illumian grinned with satisfaction, snapping his compass shut and stowing it in his pack with a practiced motion. It had taken more than a month of research, rumor-mongering, and exploration, but at last the winter port of the near-legendary Crimson Gale was before him--the fact that it had been so difficult for even one so well-versed in legend and lore to find was a testament to the crew's clever choice of a hiding spot, a fact which the scholar took as a favorable portent for the voyage to come. He started down the steep sandy path leading from the ridge to the beach below, carefully using his staff to probe the steps just ahead of him for stability, then levering himself down the slope with surprising agility.

Of course, the tale of Captain "Lighthouse" and the Crimson Gale was well known even to those with a passing interest in such stories, but this hidden cove's location had been significantly more difficult to discern; Alluvial had never been one to shy from an exploratory challenge, though, and now his research had paid off. The thought that the Gale's crew might not welcome him as an addition never even crossed his mind; aside from the matter of the heritage shared by him and the captain (a fact which mattered little to Alluvial and, he suspected, just as little to the veteran pirate), the old man was possessed of an unshakable confidence in his own worth that was born of long years of self-sufficiency on the road. He had used the time of his search to absorb all he could about the ways of the sea, devouring tome and treatise alike until he felt comfortable enough with the necessary skills (at least in abstract).

He crossed the beach toward the small cabin (and great ship beyond), leaving an odd, three-legged trail of step-limp-staff in the sand behind him. The faintly glowing Illumian sigils danced their slow waltz around his head, their soft gray light matching the slate color of the pounding, late-winter sea almost exactly. Another few minutes of slogging through the deep sand, and Alluvial found himself at the door to the abandoned-looking shack.

Seeing the shack empty so far, he eased himself down on the sand, propped his staff up against the wall of the shack, and waited for an existing member of the crew to come along. His search for the lost civilization of Truenamers--their island having vanished from the seas almost 1,000 years ago, so the legends whispered--had been decades long, and another few hours would not make the difference. Besides, the idea of bursting uninvited into a pirate gathering did not particularly appeal to him; he had far too much work left to do to have it all ended at the point of a cutlass. Removing a wicked looking tangle of knotted rope from his bag, he set about untangling and retangling it, idly waiting for someone with the authority to invite him below to happen by...

DJDeMiko
2009-01-22, 03:52 PM
Renato

Renato flew through the air borne aloft by what looked like a great cloak of darkness and carefully watched the night. As he approached the cove he slowed and landed softly in a large tree. He pulled a weathered looking glass from a pouch at his waist and scanned the boat, shack and sou rounding area. While the dark landscape was lit only by the moon, his keen eye was able to pick up enough detail for him to feel safe. He carefully placed the looking glass back into his bag and jumped back into the air.

Renato dropped low, only a few feat above the swells and hurtled towards the ship. It will be good to be back, he thinks as he pulls one of the many permanently lit objects he carries from the pouch at his waist. The small item, shaped like a baseball cut in half, emits light only from the flat side. As he flies towards he boat he begins flashing the light, covering and uncovering it with his hand in a series of long and short flashes that would let anyone watching on the boat know that he was one of their own.

He alofts softly on the boat, nods to the few on watch who call out "Ho Renato" and exchanges hand shakes and small jokes with them. one of the men calls out "Quit wasting time Renato, where's the loot you promised us."

Renato laughs and reaches into his bag. he begins to hand out the items he had promised those stuck caring for the boat. The items are small and basic, but for each man represent a luxury that they had long ran out of. Chocolates for one, a pack of letters for another, a dirty picture book for another and so on. Each thank him and he exchanges a few words with them and calls out "Now get back on watch before the captain notices and skins my hide for distracting you all."

Renato heads to his bunk and stows his gear, happy to be back home. The first ship he had been on in years that did not shun him as demon spawn just because of his abilities.

AmberVael
2009-01-22, 04:02 PM
Asuya

Surprisingly enough, Asuya is one of the first to return, a whirring of air and huge leathery wings announcing her arrival at the designated shack. As she lands, the magic that allowed her flight fades, the wings merging into her back smoothly. She has a happy grin on her face and a haversack over her shoulder, and overall looks like she has recently had the time of her life. With a careless flick of her hand she brushes her teal hair back, then starts moving towards the building before her with long strides.

She gives Alluvial a curious glance as she approaches, certain that she didn't recognize him from any previous venture... but then again, a crew always needed new hands, so it wasn't completely surprising to see someone there. Without much more thought on the matter, Asuya greets him with a wave, and when she's close enough to where she won't have to raise her voice too much, she addresses him.

"Hello there! Not many venture to this cove who have not seen it before; are you joining the crew, or have you some other purpose for being here?"

Asuya's words and voice are curious. There is a hint of a sailor's accent to them, but the majority of her speech seems influenced more by the speech of nobility, even if it was less flowery. Though Asuya has had kinship and had spent the majority of her life with the common folk and the men who sailed the sea, her childhood was longer than most, and the noble influence impacted her to an extent that might not be entirely unexpected. Still, it is no doubt strange to hear among pirates, especially if one does not know her past.

The sorceress moves the rest of the way to the shack and pauses, looking down at Alluvial. Her smile is friendly enough, and after but a moment she offers her hand to him in an amiable fashion.

"Asuya, Master Gunner of the Crimson Gale. Beautiful ship, isn't she?" Asuya remarks, glancing back at where the vessel is anchored.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-22, 04:40 PM
Renato

The next day Renato heads up to the shack to meet the others and finds Asuya and Alluvial.

"Ho Asuya," he says pleasantly. "It's good ta see ya again. I hope ya enjoyed ya winter travels."

He looks to the man with the staff, "And who is this newcoma?"

Polymath
2009-01-22, 04:41 PM
Alluvial

Looks up from his knot as Asuya's figure emerges over the hilltop, watching with bright eyes as she glides gracefully to a landing in front of him. He accepts her outstretched hand readily, and leverages himself up with her help and support from the wall behind him. Taking his staff in hand, he looks her over, nodding.

Going places that few have seen is something of a hobby of mine; you might call me a collector of experiences, I suppose. Your powers of reason quite astute: I am indeed here to seek a position aboard the Crimson Gale.

He affects a shallow bow, grimacing as a few of his joints pop with stiffness from the cold morning air and his long sit.

I am called Alluvial, and like yourself I intend to seek my fortune on the open ocean. Perhaps less like you--though I shall not presume to make assumptions as to your motivations--the fortunes I seek are less material and more insubstantial. To use the popular parlance, I am a scholar, a seeker of knowledge. Your speech patterns mark you as one of noble heritage, or at least formal education; I shall admit that I am surprised and delighted to be first introduced to a sailor with something of a pedigree--I have harbored a secret fear for some time now that my more complex locutions might go uncomprehended.

He turns with Asuya to look on the Gale, nodding with appreciation.

Beautiful, yes. A masterful piece of craftsmanship. I am something of a boatwright myself--no more than a hobbyist really--but I can certainly appreciate the depth of skill that was required in its construction. A fine ship, yes.

Alluvial turns back to Asuya, and gives her a quizzical, searching look for a moment, then with characteristic open curiosity asks

If I may be so bold, that display there he nods toward the sky suggests that you may be of partially draconic heritage. It was a wyrm who gave me this scar--Alluvial thumps his left leg with his staff--though rest assured that I bear your ancestors no generalized malice, if indeed I am correct in my assessment. The gunner you say? Marvelous! Might I ask the constitution of your cannon powder? I have read that sulfur is the common reagent used for its synthesis, yet such material has intrinsically corrosive properties that make its long term storage problematic; I shall be quite intrigued to see how you have solved this problem.

Alluvial continues to chatter in this vein, following Asuya without prompting if she continues into the shack, otherwise simply continuing to speculate aloud to himself.

Whiplord
2009-01-22, 05:12 PM
Lucivar

Lucivar walked down the forest path at a slow and measured gait, taking his time to reach his destination. As his feet tapped out there natural rhythm on the dirt path, small whirlwinds and clouds of dust rose up just as his feet fell. Some might have considered it an annoyance, for assuredly, his boots and clothes were now covered in the stuff, but Lucivar took a certain pleasure from it.

Only weeks earlier, there would have been no dust, as the ground would have been too frozen, or too damp. Lucivar despised the Winter season above any other. On the island where he had been born, snow was so rare as to be non-existent, and having never been conditioned to the frozen droplets of water, he wasn't about to try and start now.

Although it was not the snow that bothered Lucivar most about the Winter. It was the bone biting chill that came with it. So cold as to make one's very bones ache from it. It made any sort of thinking or planning a very difficult task indeed.

But now, spring was here at last, and he could get back to a normal routine. The smile became slightly wider as he thouht on just what exactly his normal routine was now. If someone had told the young boy in the temple of Fharlangn that he would be one of the most formidable pirates on the sea when he grew up, he would have laughed in their face.

Or, considering the boy in the temple, he would have respectfully honored their opinion, and then ask if they wished to see Father Ryan. Father Ryan was most skilled at dealing with disease of the mind.

Lucivar spit over his shoulder. The gesture had a dual meaning. One was an expression of distaste for the naive boy he had been, and the other a superstitious warding of bad luck he had picked up from one of his crewmates.

It was silly, and yet it made him feel better. His thoughts returned to the present as the path opened up to a small inlet beach. He sighted the Crimson Gale out on the water, and then his attention shifts to the small shack with it's impromptu gathering of people out front.

He allowed himself another small grin as he teleported the remaining distance to the group, and clapped his sister on the shoulder. "Good to see you again Asuya, Renato." He looked over at the rambling old Illumian. "And you would be...?" He trailed off leaving the question plain in his speech, not bothering with any sort of formalities.

Lucivar had always loathed formalities and the intricate dance of speech that many performed in circles around their speech. Better to get to the point. If he offended someone, it wasn't his problem.

His speech, like that of his half-sister carried more than a small trace of the nobility to which he had been born too. Although he had left that life at a very early age, some combination of childlike nostalgia, and an adolescent arrogance had led to him keeping it. He had barely any trace of a common brogue to his elocution, and still remained somewhat proud of this fact.

Although he considered himself a pirate, Lucivar couldn't quit bring himself to adopt many of the habits of speech and behavior that many of his comrades had.

He gave his half-sister a brief one armed squeeze that might have been his idea of a hug, and then relinquished his grip, waiting for answers to his questions and greetings.

You might say he expressively enunciated with elusive elegance. :smallwink:

He approached by walking close and then using Abrubt Jaunt to cover the final distance. If that doesn't work, we'll say he used Dim Door spontaneously from Travel domain.

AmberVael
2009-01-22, 05:27 PM
Asuya

Asuya listens to Alluvial with what appears to be a bemused smile- though not an unkindly or distant one. Indeed, Alluvial may sense that her amusement stems from familiarity with his personality... and if he doesn't, he'll no doubt understand her amusement soon enough. With a soft chuckle, she remarks on his fears.

"Scholarly learning and knowledge are not areas of expertise for me, but I am not unused to them. Blame it on my brother- he's the scholar between us."

Asuya turns to Lucivar and gives him a full hug which makes his gesture look pathetic in comparison. She reaches up and ruffles his hair- which looks really quite odd. It's the type of thing one might do to a younger sibling that one teased, but considering that Lucivar was no less than three inches taller and looked to be about ten years older than his sister, it seemed out of place. Perhaps it was just Asuya's personality coming into play.

"It's been a little while! Didn't get yourself into too much trouble without me, I hope?" Asuya winks at him, knowing that Lucivar's trouble could never compare to hers.

After greeting her brother, the half dragon grins down at Alluvial and makes a gesture that displays her form, which may lead to a little staring, considering her exotic and yet beautiful nature. She doesn't seem to have any shame over it, but instead just draws attention to the various vestiges of draconic heritage on her- scales, strange eyes and hair, claws...
...a large, obvious tail.

"As for your observation, you don't need to see me summon wings to realize that more than a little draconic blood in me."

She nods and waves a greeting to Renato pleasantly enough.

"Renato, Lucivar- this is Alluvial. Apparently he's looking to join our crew." Asuya smiles, apparently not thinking it the least unusual that a strange, random scholar would show up and try and gain a place aboard the Crimson Gale. Or, if she does, she's not showing it.

Asuya leans up towards Lucivar to whisper in his ear.
"He's a scholar- maybe you two would have things to talk about and discuss during our voyages? That would be a change of pace for you."

Whiplord
2009-01-22, 05:55 PM
Lucivar

Caught slightly off guard by Asuya's exuberant display of affection, Lucivar stiffened at first, but relaxed a second later.

Lucivar turned back to the jabbering scholar, and looked him carefully up and down once again, paying closer attention this time.

He bent slightly downwards so as to whisper back to Asuya. "What discussion? It would be me listening to him run his mouth."

KevLar
2009-01-22, 06:41 PM
Shael

Sheal nears the cove in an obviously good mood, humming a tune and gazing at the sea, taking deep breaths of the morning breeze and seeming to burst with pride as soon as the Gale's sails come into view.

It was a long winter and a long wait, but she hadn't wasted a minute of it. She had swam in refreshingly cold waters, explored the northern coasts, discovered an underwater cave, and made friends with a venerable sea-turtle who had seen a lot in her life. She had also ventured inland, usually disguising herself as a fey who looks much like a handsome young man, stocked up supplies, learned a dozen tales, spread two dozen more, learned the usual gossip, and narrowly escaped capture - a night she forgot herself and her disguise ended while she was in the wrong, wrong company. Perhaps she should be cautious to not spread tales of her own deeds from now on, but it was too tempting. All in all, she couldn't complain. But she wouldn't stand another week on dry land either.

Now the nixie treads softly on the sand, and waves when she spots her shipmates from afar. There's the siblings and Renato...and an old man she's certain she's never seen before. From a distance, he doesn't look like a sailor.

"Way-hey there! Delighted to see y'all here." she says cordially as she approaches. "Oh I know the likes of you, I bet you can't wait to set sail again. Well neither do I!" she adds, smiling like a maniac, and then turns to the newcomer. Now that she's close to him, he still doesn't look like a sailor.

"And hullo, young man!" she exclaims, and stares thoughtfully at the sigils circling his head. "Hmm... now, you wouldn't be another o' the Captain's offspring by any chance, would you?"

She grins broadly.

@polymath: All aboard the Crimson Vale! That's actually an ingenious ship name. If you can't beat them, confuse the hell out of them. :smalltongue:

Polymath
2009-01-22, 06:45 PM
Alluvial

The old man grins widely, seeming not to notice the aside between the two siblings.

Your brother! Yes, fantastic--the quintessential sibling team! Wonderful! Excellent teleportation trick there; quite an expedient way to move around, I'd say. You shall have to teach me how you pull it off when we are underway. He bows his stiff little half-bow again to the two newcomers, the tip of his forehead passing through the symbols circling his head, which vanish momentarily with a small puff of smoke, then reappear as he straightens again.

I am Alluvial, as your gunner here indicated, and I am quite pleased to become acquainted with all of you. It has been quite some time since I had any interlocutors, and I think ever so much better aloud than in my own head.

He turns to Lucivar, still grinning widely, and obviously pleased at the prospect of another scholar aboard.

Ah, another intellectual; it has been far too long. Tell me, what is your area of specialty? Are you familiar with Barnard's Beasts of the Briney Deep? I studied it extensively in preparation for the voyage, but I would be quite keen to hear an account first hand.

Alluvial looks up, his sharp eyes darting over yet another newcomer.

A nixie! This is shaping up to be even more of a fascinating voyage than I hoped for. Offspring of the captain you say? No, no, in fact I am several years his senior; I take it from your phrasing that there is a first offspring aboard? My sources never indicated a child--interesting. Your captain and I share a heritage, which I would be happy to go into further, you see..

He stops, blinking behind his spectacles, and looks around at the growing crowd.

I do not intend to expedite this happy reunion, but might we move indoors? This cold wet air wreaks havoc on my rheumatism, and it seems counterintuitive to remain out doors when we have such a clearly hospitable meeting place at hand.

Haha! I didn't even notice that I'd done that! Thanks--though I think that sounds like a damn good policy :D

Whiplord
2009-01-22, 07:14 PM
Lucivar

Lucivar sighed inwardly. He may as well try and get used to the prattling. On board the Gale it would be impossible to distance himself completely from the incessant stream of speech.

"Barnard? He's a hack. I think there was perhaps one correct item in there, concerning the movement habits of certain fish, but the rest was entirely drivel." His lip had curled up slightly in a sneer, expressing his distaste just as well as his statement itself did.

"As for my own studies, I am primarily concerned with the nature and study of magic, and similar such phenemona. Regardless, I imagine we will have many...exhaustive conversations."

At the mention of going inside, Lucivar nodded. "I suppose there is a slight chill in the air... I see no reason why we can't migrate." Saying so, he grasped the handle of the shack's door and pulled, entering in first, and giving the door a gentle shove with the heel of his hand so it would stay open enough for the next person.

@polymath: I love your character.

AmberVael
2009-01-22, 07:39 PM
Asuya

"Lucivar! Be nice." Whispers Asuya to her brother reprovingly. She gestures for Alluvial to enter first, then she will follow after, taking up the conversation again since Lucivar has proven himself incapable of being sociable with others. Again. One of these days, Asuya swears to herself, one of these days she'd find someone for the man to talk to besides herself.

"The Captain's daughter is his pride and joy, and the crew loves her too. But you say you're related to the Captain?" Asuya eyes Alluvial, finding that rather difficult to believe. "Distantly, perhaps?" A cousin perhaps, she could see. But not anyone very close to him- the Captain was far more serious, terse, and commanding than this man was. If they were closely related, then Asuya bet they had very different upbringings. The thought leads her to glance at her brother before she looks back at Alluvial, realizing that maybe there was a possibility after all.

KevLar
2009-01-22, 08:28 PM
Shael

Shael has no idea who this Barnard is, but is pretty sure that he and his ilk wouldn't know to tell head from tail if they ever saw a "beast of the deep" up close. Not to mention they'd soil their pants.

She also wants very much to know how often, if at all, this Alluviar fellow has sailed in the past, and what exactly he could do on the Crimson Gale. But is afraid to ask. We'll sort it out later.

Before entering the shack, Shael tugs Renato's sleeve.
"Love, I have a proposal for ya. If we end up with'im on the Gale, find somethin' else to occupy yourself on your watch, and we assign him to be the lookout. We may all die horribly in a surprise attack, but it's worth the risk, eh?"
And she's doing the grin thing again.

Once inside, she goes straight to the trap door and raises her voice. "Come on, come on! We have plans to make, a course to set, jobs to assign! Hop in! Young man, you too!" And with that, she disappears to the basement.

UglyPanda
2009-01-22, 09:08 PM
Vinnie

"Love of mine, someday you will die
but I'll be close behind.
I'll follow you, into the dark.
No blinding light or something something Argh."

"How was that, big guy? Am I even near the start of a new song?"

A halfling carrying a baroque guitar enters the cove. He is wearing a straw hat with a fur parka and fur pants. He is followed by a spiky reptile with a collar and a young troll carrying his personal effects.

"Hello, ladies and gentlemen! Performing tonight for your enjoyment is everyone's favorite entertainment duo, Vincent Nolast and Krag!"

Polymath
2009-01-22, 09:10 PM
Alluvial

Reshouldering his small leather pack, Alluvial follows the group inside, nodding in thanks to Asuya.

Why thank you, young lady--and to think they say pirates lack manners. Ha! When this is all over, I shall have to publish a treatise on my experience, and I will endeavor to correct this misconception of course!

The Illumian is visibly distressed at Lucivar's reprobation of Barnard.

Do you really say so? Oh dear, oh dear--I do wish the peer review process for such texts was more rigorous, I've been saying that for years. There's far too much room for fabrication.

He considers for a moment, then seems to brighten, a smile once more gracing his lined and weathered face.

Ah well, I suppose it is just one more error that I shall have to set right in my own account of the ocean's dangers. I shall have my work cut out for me, it seems.

Falling into step beside Asuya, he pauses for a moment to consider before answering her question.

Illumian society is...rather unusual. Your Captain Meroveus and I share a cabal--what your might consider a very extended family--in common, though we both have long since left it behind. In fact, I had long since struck out on the road to continue my studies in a more practical setting by the time he was born. Undoubtedly we share an ancestor several generations back, but that is all--still, there are few of my people, and I must confess that it warms my hear to know that the Captain has produced an heir.

Alluvial looks down the ladder for a moment, seeming to consider his options. He nods to himself and, without any further hesitation, drops his staff down through the hole. In the same fluid motion, he lowers himself onto the ladder, braces his hands and feet against the sides, and slides rapidly to the bottom, catching his staff neatly as he lands.

So then, what business must we attend to?

There's no DC for sliding down a ladder that I can find, but Alluvial can take 10 on the climb check for a total of 26--that seems like it would be enough to do it.

Whiplord - Thanks, I like him too. Everyone seems to have a great character here.

Copacetic
2009-01-22, 09:13 PM
Denomer

Denomer floated in midair, His spectral wings hidden with the rest of his body by the ring around his finger. Oh, how he enjoyed the ability to disappear and appear at will. It gave him a rush of power, a thrill of excitement to vanish from sight. He glanced at the pirates below, their lanterns and cave quite obvious from a hundred feet up and over the sea. But not that anyone else had his unique vantage point.

Soaring silently, he swiftly droppped from the sky, leveling out only a few feet from the dark ocean. Gliding towards the motley sailors, he spotted quite a few individuals amoung, promanently a Mix of dragon and man, and a glowing man with sigils around his head holding a cane. Floating over the heads of the ignorant seamen, he landed behind the the group, and slpped behind them as they entered the shack.

Taking this chance to speak, he very softly whisered. Pirates. I wish to join your voyage. Answer.

Yay IC thread. Also, Polymath, love your character. Keep in mind Denomer is invisible when replying. :smallsmile:

GrassyGnoll
2009-01-22, 09:32 PM
Krag

"Real prutty, dat 'un," Krag nods over a cradle of instrument cases. The troll has a haversack slung across his back and a rhythm to his step. On the halfling's stage call he takes a modest bow.

UglyPanda
2009-01-22, 09:41 PM
Vinnie

"Yeah, but I'm not going for pretty. I'm trying to go for creepy. I can't do 'V, Lord of the damned' without some creepy depressing song with idealistic undertones. In other words, it's supposed to be scary."

"No cheers for your navigator over here? I've been with you guys for years!"

OOC:
Vincent is a halfling. He was originally a gnome, but I changed it a day after the chart was made and it wasn't updated.

Polymath
2009-01-22, 09:46 PM
Alluvial

The old man's eyes widen as the invisible speaker makes his presence known. With a speed that belies his age (and limp) he is on his feet, staff in hand.

Fyaruchia-ta'alzaitanizath-duorzeinp!

The words ring even in the small shack, seeming to come from almost everywhere at once, and resonating with a deepness that Alluvial's normal tone lacks entirely. His eyes glow brightly golden for a moment, then fade to his normal emerald green again. He looks around again, eyes finally locking on Denomer.

It would seem we have a visitor--an air goblin, if his appearance does not deceive, and rather adept in The Art. While I am not one to eschew caution, I would suggest that your optical occlusion is not altogether necessary here--these pirates have shown themselves to be far more genial than rumor might have it.

He looks to Shael, then back to the goblin again, waiting for the already-enlisted crew members to respond to the newcomer as they see fit.

Taking 10 on the truespeak check for Vision Sharpened. That yields a 56, which is more than enough for him to affect himself (DC 41 for the first time today). He gains the ability to see invisible creatures for 30 seconds.

Whiplord
2009-01-22, 09:46 PM
Lucivar

Although the man's constant stream of consciousness is without a doubt annoying, he can't help but smile slightly at the Illumian's clear enthusiasm. He quickly smooths his face though.

As the voice sounded from out of nowhere, Lucivar instantly snapped to a state of extreme alertness. With a split second of concentration he saw the location and identity of the speaker. Making eye contact, he speaks. "Reveal yourself this instant before I incinerate you where you stand. Has no one told you the proper way to make an introduction?"

Burn 5 PP to manifest Psionic True Seeing.

Copacetic
2009-01-22, 10:10 PM
Denomer makes no notice of their easy piercing of his illusion. With a mental command Opaqueness spreads from his ringed hand.

You

Denomer points a long finger at Alluvial.

Shut up. You

Denomer shifts his finger to Lucivar

You have not answered. May I join your crew.

Whiplord
2009-01-22, 10:18 PM
Lucivar

Lucivar gave a sneer that could only be described as ugly. And then he laughed. Doubled over, in fact. "It is not my place to accept or deny you. And for that you should be thankful, because if it was I'd boot you out on your behind this very instant."

He attempted to quell his laughter which had started up again. "I can tell you right now your rudeness and your petty, useless tricks have done nothing to help your chances."

Copacetic
2009-01-22, 10:24 PM
Denomer stands stock still, his face expressionless.

You are intresting. Now, if you are feeling up to it, could you tell me where the captain is, Please?

The Sarcasm in his voice is subtle, but noticable.

Whiplord
2009-01-22, 10:30 PM
Lucivar

Lucivar stares right back. "No."

Turning to the others, "What arrangements still need to be made?"

I'm not going overboard (pardon the pun), am I? I don't want to portray him as a complete jerk, but it seems like what the situation calls for.

AmberVael
2009-01-22, 10:41 PM
Asuya

Asuya sighs and raises her hands to try and gain a little attention from the group, deciding they needed to be called back to civility and reason. "Quiet now- the Captain decides who comes on board, and if our opinions matter to him, he'll ask for them. I advise we keep our tempers, as the last thing we need to do is start off a voyage with bloodshed; do you think that would be a good omen?"

She raises an eyebrow and looks over them, then looks towards the vague direction Denomer is in. "Now, you're making a rather poor impression here, and I have no doubt that if you repeat this performance the Captain will be most unimpressed. Posturing cannot gain his respect.
"However, as he isn't here yet, you still have a chance. Reveal yourself and join us respectfully and you may save a little face."

Asuya's tone isn't demanding, just reasonable and logical, calling them all to think sensibly.

Polymath
2009-01-22, 11:12 PM
Alluvial

Alluvial's sharp, birdlike green eyes search Denomer's face intently as he listens to the exchange; he seems to be trying to take a measure of the goblin. He nods intently as Asuya speaks.

Our lady dragoness is quite correct, in my assessment: while I am admittedly a novice vis a vis the practicalities of seafaring, my years on this plane have imparted on me at least a few lessons--one of those lessons is that while caution is often warranted, one must show a willingness to trust before one asks for the trust of another. In other words, endeavoring to become the trusted companion of a group to which you will not reveal yourself seems a rather quixotic task.

The old Illumian gently lowers himself to his seat once again, removing his spectacles and polishing them with his linen shirt. He holds them up to the light, nods in satisfaction, and replaces them on his nose.

Now, I suggest that we begin this conversation anew, as we are now on more equitable perceptual terms--we can all see each other.

GrassyGnoll
2009-01-22, 11:24 PM
Krag

The troll looks between Vincent and Lucivar quizzically. He settles on the familiar and addresses the halfling.

"Oy Vinnie, wot 'bout Vino da Wil' Boy un Vin-Vine da bloind un Viksta da Tricksta?"

UglyPanda
2009-01-23, 12:30 AM
Vinnie

With a tip of his hat, Vinnie turns into the guise of Joseph Vanderhouse, cut-throat talent agent.

"We have to pay attention to the trends. We've oversaturated the market with these 'nice guy' acts. Now people just want to feel bad about themselves and wear dark colors. Are you any better at juggling knives yet? We need a literal and figurative edge if we want to beat the competition."

DJDeMiko
2009-01-23, 01:05 AM
Renato

Renato spots Denomer when he is about 60 feet away and watches in curiosity as he approaches the group.

He chats quietly with some of those present until he hears' Denomer's comments.

Renato steps towards Denomer and extends a hand in a friendly manner. "The captain oft be lookin for new crew after a winter such as this, though like the others I can't speak for him, but I must warn ya friend, he is not the type to take people who so obviously would cause dissension among the crew. We aren't a family, but we are tight with each other. I know how it is, round a new group of people, ya feel your nerves, ya feel ya gots to show us how tough ye is. Ya don't need to worry bout it, if ya good enough for the captain then yas good enough for us."

sidhe_blooded
2009-01-24, 12:04 AM
Faolan

Faolan made his way steadily to where he had left the Gale and her crew at the beginning of the season. I wonder how many of us will return? he thought to himself as he swam through the chill waters. It will be good to be back, I've missed the adventure.

As he drew near to the cove Faolan decided he'd show up with a flourish (as he usually did, he didn't really expect to surprise anyone.) It was nearing dusk when Faolan arrived at his destination, and his excitement about seeing his old crewmates again was rising.

When he finally made it near to the shoreline, Faolan leaps from the water with quite a splash and 'ports to the shore, behind anyone who happens to be present.
Greetings my friends! How have the winds treated ya?
He not quite shouts with a huge grin on his face.

GrassyGnoll
2009-01-24, 12:22 AM
Krag

The troll nods eagerly.

"Dat we do, an dat Oi ain't," Krag raises a punctured hand.

Krag turns to Faolan, "Gud, Oi s'pose."

Ennui
2009-01-24, 07:17 AM
Shearan

On deck, Shearan was going through her combat training routine when Renato returned to the ship. Mumbling a short "thanks" she catches the brush and paint he'd gotten her, places both items on the deck and returns to her training. The sun is starting to rise before Shearan has finished her exercises.

Half an hour later, below deck starts reeking of fresh paint as the bright blue and red banner of the king on Shearan's shield is replaced by black. Leaving the shield to dry, she takes the small chest she usually keeps stowed away above deck. Having found a reasonably comfortable place to watch what is going on at the shack Shearan sits down and starts to inspect her treasures. Once in a while she takes a glance at the shack, but most of the time she only has eyes for the glittering jewelry before her. Apparantly lost in memories and thought she barely moves for hours.

KevLar
2009-01-24, 04:55 PM
Shael

The nixie moves to the nearest table and takes a seat. "Now, now, no reason to get exited", she says kindly, "everything can be arranged in the meeting tomorrow." She turns to the goblin and the illumian, and smiles reassuringly.

"Alluvial, goblin, I am Shael. As past and probably future Second Mate of the Gale, I welcome you and have three questions for you. Have you sailed before? Would we regrettably have to hogtie you and throw you overboard in the open sea, upon discovering you've done something to offend Her in the past?" Despite the content of her words, her voice drips with honey. But then she turns to the goblin and stares at him, as if her last question addresses him and him only.

"...And can you reliably swab a deck?" This time she sounds rather wry.

Vox, I really really hope that the "refer to the sea as She/Herself" clause in the Manual of the Superstitious Pirate applies only to sentences where it actually makes sense, and doesn't completely ban the word from the vocabulary. That would be... unpractical. ("A smooth She never made a skilled mariner!")

DJDeMiko
2009-01-24, 05:14 PM
Renato

Renato takes a seat at a table near Shael and says "She's not jokin, I once pissed the sea off mightily, said she wasn't as pretty as the sky . . . . just as a joke mind ya, and she up and sends me to the moon! I had ta live there for three months fore she let me back down!"

Anyone who has sailed with Renato before (which includes the crew of the ship) knows that Renato loves telling ridiculous and tall tales and will probably guess this to be on e(unless your naive:P)

And anyone who doesn't know Renato should have no trouble figuring out from his tone that he is joking. Unless you want to think he's serious which might create some amusing opportunities for running gags.

Whiplord
2009-01-24, 05:21 PM
Lucivar

Lucivar simple sniffs and ignores the goblin. He nods in the general direction of all the new arrivals, in way of greeting.

Seemingly done with interaction for the time being, he heads over to a relatively empty spot of the basement, pulls out his spellbook and begins going over it carefully.

Realized I hadn't posted any kind of prepared spells. I'll put a list up in OOC.

Copacetic
2009-01-24, 05:54 PM
Denomer

The Goblin nods at Renato. I see. Thank you. He then turns and answers the Nixie. No, I have not been this close to open water before. So that also means no to the sceond. And Yes, I suppose I can scrub. The Goblin merely casts a glance at the new arrivals.

Vox Clamantis
2009-01-24, 07:01 PM
For anyone who's outside the shack but not aboard the Gale:
From a ways off you hear what is unmistakably the voice of a young woman singing a ballad. You catch only one full verse before she comes into view, striding along at an even, measured pace:

’Twas broadside to a broadside then,
And a rain and hail of blows,
But the salt sea ran in, ran in, ran in,
To the bottom then she goes.

Somewhat taller than other women her age, the young lady makes good time closing the distance. Unburdened as she is by pack or satchel, only the smudges of dirt on her face and the wear of her clothing suggests that she's been on anything more than a morning stroll. One hand casually steadies the hilt of a long, thin silver blade swinging in a baldric by her side as she comes to a stop and gives a smart half-curtsy.

Top of the morning to you! Faolan. Krag. Vincent.

A shy but charming smile matches the humor in her eyes. Somewhere in the background you notice a dwarf trundling in her wake with a sack over one shoulder, grumbling and muttering darkly to himself.

You are Krag and Vincent today, I hope?

((You don't have to reply in spoilers, I'm just doing that to affirm who exactly is witnessing these goings-on. I assume that everyone reads spoilers regardless, and that's fine so long as you can resist the urge to metagame.))

UglyPanda
2009-01-24, 07:23 PM
Vinnie

"My name is Joseph Vanderhouse and my client Vincent isn't here at this moment. Could I take a message for you?" Vinnie isn't the type to break character, much to the detriment and annoyance of everyone and everything around him.

Polymath
2009-01-24, 07:38 PM
Alluvial

Alluvial nods at the nixie, clearly relieved that the tension has gone out of the room (or at least lessened).

Well, now that the first of what I suspect will be a multitude of crises has passed, I suppose we should return to the matter at hand.

He pauses, seeming lost in thought for a moment, then answers her questions:

I have not yet had the pleasure of sailing on open waters, though like all of my brethren I received some basic training in aquatic and oceanographic arts from a young age; we consider it a matter of utmost importance to instruct our youth in a wide variety of topics so as to ensure minimal competence in any arena.

He pauses to take a breath, then continues.

Still, I suspected that such a modicum of knowledge would be insufficient given the context and company in which I sought to insinuate myself, so I have endeavored over the past few months to instruct myself in the ways of seamanship and its associated disciplines. I am confident that my studies have equipped me to handle most challenges that may arise. Additionally, I am very well-versed in matters arcane, geographical, historical, and academic generally, a fact of which I am certain you will be appreciative eventually.

While I have never swabbed a deck--or anything at all, if recollection serves--I suppose it is feasible that I would be able to should the necessity arise. Still, I suspect that my talents would be best suited to application elsewhere: I imagine that individuals in this line of work frequently encounter situations in which their vessel may become damaged, and I have no small skill in designing and repairing sailing ships. Of course, I am more than pleased to contribute in whatever manner the Captain deems necessary.

He pauses for breath again, then concludes:

As to angering the sea, I do not recall having ever done anything to incur the wrath of any divine beings associated with it, and I am skeptical as to whether or not the ocean itself--which, by all accounts, lacks consciousness and intentionality--is capable of any kind of emotion, negative or otherwise. Still, I have no intention of testing this hypothesis while traveling upon Her, and thus am willing to observe any customs or rituals suggested by those more acculturated to such existence.

The Illumian then falls into (temporary) silence, seemingly pondering this latter point.

sidhe_blooded
2009-01-24, 07:42 PM
Faolan

Greetings m'lady, how may I be of service?
Faolan says with an exaggerated bow and a wry grin.

KevLar
2009-01-24, 08:35 PM
Shael

Sitting as comfortably as possible on a chair that's not quite intended for her size, Shael nods curtly to the yet unnamed goblin, and turns to the Illumian, smiling encouragingly. She seems immensely amused by his account, until he says:

I am skeptical as to whether or not the ocean itself--which, by all accounts, lacks consciousness and intentionality--is capable of any kind of emotion, negative or otherwise.
To that, she raises both eyebrows and lets out a short laugh which isn't entirely mirthful. "You have a lot to learn, young man." she says calmly when his speech is over, and promptly resumes her carefree expression. This time she turns to the more experienced sailors in the room.

"Well then! Let's hear it from everyone. Any particular goals for this voyage? Do any of you know something worth hunting? Do you fancy a certain course? Or are you happy to sail where the wind blows?"

Knowing better than to disturb Lucivar while he's studying, Shael looks at Asuya and Renato. She does this every time - fishing for the crew's intentions before the official meeting, just to know where they stand. Who knows, she might need to sway a vote later.

I wonder if it's allowed/logical/useful to roll a random Gather Information check (supposedly from the days before) for... anything interesting really. New merchant ships, change of trade routes, developments in the Royal Navy, the recent appearance of Nessie... In short, possible targets and possible enemies.

If so: [roll0]

GrassyGnoll
2009-01-25, 02:12 AM
Krag

The troll shrugs.

"Dat we iz. Well, dat Oi iz. Haf o' dat, wot iz we. Krag an'... V."

Satisfied with his answer, Krag nods.

Polymath
2009-01-25, 02:53 AM
Alluvial

The old man nods earnestly at Shael.

Oh yes, my dear, I certainly do! I most certainly do indeed! I would be the first to admit how much there is I need to learn, which explains my motivation for joining up with you all, in a circuitous sort of way.

He removes a white handkerchief from his pocket, and wipes at his bald head. He carefully yet rapidly refolds it into an intricate pattern, then stows it away again.

I have some knowledge of these lands and the waters beyond; give me a moment to consider, and I shall tell you whether or not I can recall anything interesting which might require our specialized intervention.

Alluvial will use his Factotum ability to augment a knowledge (local), a knowledge (history) and a knowledge (geography) for rumors, routes, legends, or other information that might be of interest his newfound crew.

Local: [roll0]
Geography: [roll1]
History: [roll2]

Vox Clamantis
2009-01-25, 03:53 AM
Nodding her head in approval, the young woman absently waves the dwarf towards the Gale.

That was a very quick rhyme, Krag. I do believe you're getting better at it. But with Mr. Vanderhouse as an exemplar, how could you not be?

She mimes sweeping a hat off her head and bowing deeply. All of you recognize this as a favorite mannerism of her father. She looks at Faolan.

You can tell me where my father is, and if anyone interesting has come in yet. Not that pirates are known to be punctual.

AmberVael
2009-01-25, 04:40 AM
Asuya

Asuya leans back in her chair, trying to get in a more comfortable position- specifically attempting to find a place for her tail. Chairs were always so tricky in that way.
"Nothing immediately comes to mind- though perhaps the captain has a few ideas. I mostly stayed out of the coastal areas: I'm too easily recognized where pirates are known, after all."

sidhe_blooded
2009-01-25, 10:05 AM
Faolan

Alas m'lady, I have only just arrived myself and greeted these two fine gentleman, I have yet to even set foot on the Gale. Perhaps you would do me the honor of accompanying me on a search for him?

Polymath
2009-01-25, 02:14 PM
Alluvial

Alluvial seems lost to himself for a minute or so, apparently calculating in his head. As usual, his reverie breaks with an abrupt stream of speech.

While my own inquires have not been keyed to the varieties of information that would be of perfect relevance to the discussion at hand, I may be able to shed some light on the general status of the area, from which we might be able to extrapolate a promising course of action.

He slides his pack across the table, removes a quill, ink, and roll of parchment, and begins to sketch a rough and rapid map of the region.

As you may recall, the winter came quite early this year; consequently, the agricultural harvest season has been particularly difficult, especially for these areas here:

Alluvial circles the areas to the north and south of the Gale's current location.

Of course, the populace in those locales has not had its need for consumables reduced consummately, so they will be particularly reliant on imports from these more fertile areas that we not as badly affected:

He draws a large box around the heartland area of his map.

Naturally, the quickest way to export any goods is via boat, so the shipping lanes will be rife with merchantmen hoping to capitalize on the hard season. Most will undoubtedly remain close to land in hopes of avoiding...well, those in our line of business. It is reasonable to assume that the towns and cities along the coast will have made this deduction as well, so shipping lanes will be well patrolled--perhaps more so than your crew is accustomed.

He looks around briefly at the assembled pirates before continuing.

One other natural consequence of this is...somewhat more personal. With increased pressure on the shipping lanes--both from privateers and merchants looking to make a profit--we can almost certainly expect to see an increase in...ahem...bounties, especially along the coasts. There is, however, one other advantage we might exploit.

He draws a line through the straits and up into some of the heartland territories.

There is a river here that flows inland, and--if my calculations are accurate--should be deep enough to carry the Vale comfortably. The food shortages will have likely made boarder relations rather tense between some of the nations, meaning that weapons sales will proliferate and be particularly profitable. Sailing inland is not an ideal solution for any of us, but it is an option to keep in mind, should the situation become overly complex along the coasts.

He spends a few more moments labeling the map and detailing it with his notes before passing it to Shael.

Knowledge (geography) check to create a map that will convey the information I know from the other knowledge skills:

[roll0]

Copacetic
2009-01-25, 02:40 PM
Denomer

The goblin looks straight at the Nixie while he asnwers. Wealth. Money. Power. This I want, and these I will follow where ever they may take me.

UglyPanda
2009-01-25, 02:55 PM
Vinnie

"Pay me no mind and make yourself comfortable rather than verbose. This spoiled princess routine of yours must be hard to keep up."

Vinnie hands his guitar over to Krag and walks over to the ship to see why he is being ignored.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-25, 07:37 PM
Renato

Renato shrugs.

"I don't care much where we go or why . . . . long as there's adventure, wealth and women to be had."

KevLar
2009-01-25, 09:30 PM
Shael

Shael listens carefully to her shipmates' suggestions - or mostly lack thereof. She nods to Asuya and Alluvial's enthusiasm makes her smile, though she already knew most of it. She's also discretely impressed. Well I'll be damned, even I hadn't thought that we could take the Gale up the river.

"Good suggestions, young man, you are wise beyond your years. That's a decent map you made. Goblin, you've come to the right place. But remember that the surf won't just bring treasure chests to your feet, we have to work in a certain manner and with a certain code. You'll learn quickly. Renato, you handsome devil, I envy the ladies already."

She then lands from her chair to the floor and stretches. "And now, friends, I think I'll go greet our gallant ship. I've missed her, and I've missed our good captain." And steps outside, whistling.

Whiplord
2009-01-26, 01:54 AM
After approximately two hours, Lucivar unfolds his legs and stands, stretching slightly. He closes his spellbook and stows it away in a pocket in his coat.

His eyes blink a few times as they attempt to focus on something larger than the tiny print he had been staring at for so long.

Walking towards the door, he calls over his shoulder to anyone still in the room, "I'm going outside to get a breath of fresh air."

Climbing up the ladder, he eases open the trapdoor, and is soon outside, where he simply leans against the wall of the shack, silently staring out at the Gale.

Polymath
2009-01-26, 01:41 PM
Alluvial

The old Illumian beams at Shael, clearly pleased with the praise.

Oh, it's no large thing, really--nothing that anyone couldn't have figured out with a little bit of careful thought. Still, I must say that it is nice to be appreciated--it is rare enough to encounter company which is capable of comprehending by locution, much less appreciative of its content.

He watches as the rest of the group slowly drifts back outside, then heaves himself up from his chair with an audible sigh and follows the group upstairs and outside, talking all the way.

Very well then, let us see if the proceeding day has warmed the air appreciatively. I must say that I share Shael's desire to meet both the Gale and her captain--I have heard much grandiloquent description of both, and am anxious to ascertain reality's degree of parity.

Vox Clamantis
2009-01-26, 02:51 PM
Nodding in agreement, the young woman steps lightly to where the dwarf is waiting in a longboat that has been tied up nearby. Taking a seat at one end, she waves Krag and Faolan over.

Alright then, come on! My father's probably anxious to have his sword back, anyway.

If nobody has any objection, we'll fast forward to the pirates' convention underneath the shack. We'll assume that anyone who wants to can visit the Gale, but the Captain is locked in his quarters and won't admit anyone but his daughter. If you're going to do anything interesting, make it known.

sidhe_blooded
2009-01-26, 04:12 PM
Faolan

Of course m'lady, let us make haste, I believe I'd like to take to the skies unless you need a hand there.
Faolan says, slowly rising into the air.

Polymath
2009-01-26, 05:21 PM
Alluvial

Alluvial prefers to spend the next few hours in the company of one of the more intelligent characters--he'd like to try to get to know Lucivar, but will probably be put off by the mage's brusque demeanor. If the rest of the crew is off on their own, he'll spend the rest of the day wandering around the ship, getting to know its layout and mechanics. Around sunset, he'll return to the shack on the beach and attempt to draw up some primitive blueprints of the ship from memory for future reference.

After that, he'll pull out a fishing net, set it up in the shallows, and attempt to drive a school of fish into it for dinner.

To draw up some blueprints for future repairs (why not?). He's feeling inspired, too:

Craft (Boatbuilding) [roll0]

Fishing, with inspiration

Survival: [roll1]

Polymath
2009-01-26, 05:24 PM
That should be enough to feed him and four others. He'd be delighted to have anyone join him for dinner, otherwise he will be content to eat alone in the shack and then sleep there for the night.

Whiplord
2009-01-26, 05:37 PM
Lucivar

Lucivar must have stood against the wall for a fair part of the afternoon, simply watching and thinking.

When Alluvial came out, he took the opportunity to study him once again. He was certainly older than most the crew. The human ones at least. Although if he was related to the captain, he wasn't human himself. Illumians... Lucivar had read several books on the cabals of the Illumian people, but overall there was little information to be had. Alluvial was only the third member of the race he had met after Captain Meroveus and his daughter.

It seemed that the man had no small amount of skill at various things. Although the distance had been to far to see much, Lucivar had noticed the Illumian studying the Gale, and it was clear he had an idea of what he was doing there. And then there were the maps he had drawn. Even though Lucivar had not had the chance to see them closely, the small glance he did get, combined with the way Alluvial had spoken--at length, as seemed to be the normal case--of the area was more than enough.

And then there was the fishing. Lucivar was fairly sure that his knowledge in certain areas far outweighed the man's own (although he was no longer so sure--a disturbing thought indeed), the sheer breadth of what the man knew made Lucivar feel slightly envious. As with anyone who had spent time at sea, he knew the basics of fishing.

Alluvial knew far more than the basics.

Lucivar definitely wanted to know more about the man. If only he didn't talk so much.

Lucivar would be interested in joining Alluvial as well, but is unlikely to do so unless asked.

Polymath
2009-01-27, 01:50 AM
While we're waiting for the DM to bring the hammer down... :P

Alluvial

Alluvial's spine pops audibly as he twists rapidly to the left, pulling the net closed behind him. Four large fish thrash futilely in the rapidly disappearing water as the old traveler hoists the net over his back and begins slogging back toward shore.

He steps back onto dry land, and neatly kicks his cane up from the sandy beach and into his outstretch hand--four quick motions later, the fish in the net are no longer flopping. Turning back toward the shack, he notices a tall figure framed against the fiery sunset, standing at the edge of the surf and staring thoughtfully out to sea.

Hello there! he calls, waving his cane in the air in an exaggerated fashion as he approaches. Young man! Lucivar, if I am not mistaken? I could not help but noticing you immersed in what looked like a sizable tome during our meeting earlier today. A spellbook, if I'm not mistaken? I'm nothing more than a dabbler in the arcane arts myself--never rely on magic to solve a problem when you can solve through pure cognition, I always say--but I certainly find myself intrigued by magical matters of all kinds.

He reaches Lucivar, and thumps the net--and fish--down on the ground before the shack. I must confess that I am guilty of several errors in my fishing technique, and thus my bounty is not as large as it could potentially have been, but if my calculations are accurate there should be plenty for both of us with quite a bit to spare.

Alluvial pauses, removing his spectacles and wiping the salt water from the lenses with his shirt.

Will you join me for dinner? I would relish the chance for conversation, especially with a fellow intellectual. Tell me, what is your background in The Art?

An untrained craft (cooking) check to try to prepare the in a delicious way:

[roll0]

Whiplord
2009-01-27, 02:01 AM
Lucivar

Lucivar stood in slightly stunned silence for a second. Part of it was the sudden and jovial greeting, which he had not been expecting, and the other par was the sheer verbosity of the greeting. Which he had been expecting, but that had aided him naught under the vocal tidal wave.

He coughed lightly as he attempted to gather together the shattered pieces of his composure.

"I, um, yes, well, er..." This wasn't working. He closed his eyes for a second. "Yes, I think I will take you up on your invitation. Those fish look good." He paused again, considering. "My history with The Art... A long story to be sure. It started when I was sent to the temple of Fharlangn..."

Lucivar, sensing a willing audience, gives a slightly cut down version of his time in the temple, and his self-tutored drive to learn.

"Of course, to limit oneself to only the Arcane Art, is foolhardy. Those who dismiss other avenues of knowledge are fools."

DJDeMiko
2009-01-27, 10:20 AM
Renato

In the time that passes Renato pulls out a deck of cards and invites anyone who wants to join him for a game.

"Who of you is up fer a game a cards? Nothing serious, lets say a silver coin fer ante and no raisin higher en 3 gold. Friendly like."

Just for flavor and rebonding with out crew mates and bonding with new potential crew. Lets not worry about the actual gold passing hands.

AmberVael
2009-01-27, 01:14 PM
Asuya

Seeing everyone else leave the shack, Asuya hums to herself and follows the general drift outside, and then decides to move off to the ship. After all, she hadn't seen anyone but the people at the shack since she arrived back from her trip- it would be good of her to remedy that. As she starts off at a quick and cheerful pace, Asuya shakes her head at herself. No, it wasn't people in general that she was thinking of, now was it? With a smile, she leaps into the air, resummoning her wings and directing her flight to the Crimson Gale. For a while she enjoys the feeling of the wind and the air beneath her wings, but eventually she drops down towards the deck in a steep dive, pulling out nicely and alighting on the ship. With a shrug of her shoulder she adjusts her haversack, then begins searching for Annaliese.

GrassyGnoll
2009-01-27, 07:54 PM
Krag

Krag lugs along. His mood is noticeably brightened at mention of the ship.

"'Ow's da ship bin, Annie? Don' moind V, eh's juz suhfrin' from uh bout o' da ahtis' blokk."

Vox Clamantis
2009-01-27, 08:20 PM
As Krag steps onto the longboat it dips slightly in the shallows, eliciting a fresh bout of muttered swearing from the dwarf. Despite his apparent disaffection for the idea, the burly little man pushes the boat away from shore and jumps in, seizing the oars and beginning to row out towards the ship with an ease born of true expertise.

The young redheaded woman waves at Faolan as he begins to fly towards the ship and then smiles wider at Krag's question and settles herself back against the sack of goods sitting at the front of the boat.

We can be sure the decks aren't up to your standards, but to tell you the truth I haven't seen the Gale in about a month. My father sent me to visit some of my mother's family a ways inland.

Her expression sours a little.

Bloody waste of time. What he thinks I'm going to learn from a bunch of stuck-up Illumian academics, I'll never know.

True to form, she perks up again almost instantly.

But what have you been up to?

If the conversation hasn't reached a natural conclusion by tomorrow, I may have to cut it short. I apologize in advance. :smallwink:

GrassyGnoll
2009-01-27, 08:50 PM
Krag

The troll huddles into the longboat's bench. Undeterred by the boat's proportions he answers.

"Plunty. 'Cept V sed not ta tokk bout it on accowntz uh wot 'e calls 'statues o' limuhtayshunz'. Oi don' know wot e's on bout, we wuz haf-inchun' jewlz off posh dinners, not statues."

Vox Clamantis
2009-01-27, 09:35 PM
Not bothering to conceal her amusement, the girl makes a show of looking to see if the troll's carrying anything noteworthy.

Buy anything interesting with your share? A magic cannonball, perhaps?

GrassyGnoll
2009-01-27, 10:10 PM
Krag

The troll nods and pulls an amulet hung from his neck by a length of rope. The trinket is a burnish gold, dwarfed by Krag's immense fingers, and without an inset.

"It wudn' be uh trikk ta juggle uh ball wot were magikked, Oi kept me da pruttiust o' da scrap."

Vox Clamantis
2009-01-28, 09:57 AM
The powerful strokes of the dwarf's oars have brought them nearly alongside the Gale. Netting along the side of the ship provides a ladder of sorts onto the deck.

Hey, not bad! But I still think flaming cannonballs would draw a bigger crowd!

Grabbing ahold of the netting, the girl pulls herself up with surprising ease and disappears out of sight onto the ship, leaving the now positively furious dwarf to somehow get his sack of mystery goods aboard.

Copacetic
2009-01-28, 05:19 PM
Denomer

Denomer avoids the rest of he crew, and diappears down the coast line for a few hours, re-appering later when Alluvial has caught his Fish. Floating down on his spectral wings, he speaks cautiosly. May I join you for Dinner?

Polymath
2009-01-28, 05:51 PM
Alluvial

Alluvial looks up from the fish--which he has been busy cleaning and preparing as he listens attentively to Lucivar's story--and smiles broadly as Denomer floats down out of the clouds.

Ah, our elusive air goblin friend! It would only seem appropriate that you join us, yes--Lucivar has just been telling the most fascinating tale about his past and his training in the arcane arts, and I would be delighted to hear a similar account of how such an unusual specimen as yourself came to be such an obviously skilled practitioner. I'm afraid I have little in the way of spices or seasonings with which to flavor the fish I managed to ensnare, but provided you are amicable to eating rather bland baked bass--ha, I do love alliteration--you are certainly welcome in our company! Tell me, Denomer, how did a member of your characteristically reclusive people come to seek a life of adventure on the high seas?

When he has finished preparing the fish, Alluvial carries them inside to the tables in the shack, where he serves his two companions as best he can, as they eat, he continues to prod and question both of them about their interests and training.

Lucivar, shortly before the arrival of the third member of our little dinner party here, you made a comment--which until now I have allowed to pass unremarked--to the effect that you found it foolhardy to place one's trust entirely in arcane power. While I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment, I must confess that I am somewhat surprised to hear my own opinions on the matter echoed in one so obviously skilled in the ways of the arcane. I would dearly love to hear an elaboration of the point, if you are willing!

Alluvial is keenly interested in the intricacies of psionics, as it is one class of power he has found himself unable to duplicate through sheer imitation, and will attempt to pump Lucivar for all the information he can about it.

KevLar
2009-01-28, 07:26 PM
Shael

Shael spends most of the day strutting like a peacock up and down the deck. She hails sailors, greets Krag, Shearan and Faolan, tells the tale of the Hellbent and how the Crimson Gale would surpass even her, praises every corner of the ship (the sails! the craftsmanship! the sturdiness! the curves!) and checks meticulously every inch of it for any sign of deficiency.

Meanwhile, she finds the time to play a game of cards with Renato, letting him win, she makes another short trip to shore where she declines Alluvial's offer for lunch even before he makes it ("These are cooked, young man! I eat my fish raw, thankyouverymuch.") and spends almost an hour just standing on the prow and gazing at the sea, as the sun sets and the night falls. Or listening to the waves, as she claims.

Proficiency (sailor) to check the ship: [roll0], though if I can take 20 for this specific task, I will.

AmberVael
2009-01-28, 11:24 PM
Asuya

Finding the object of her goals to be rather out of reach at the moment, Asuya hesitates, moves towards Annaliese's cabin, hesitates again, and then sighs to herself as she moves to her own living area, going off to put away her gear as she waits for either Annaliese to recover from the journey, or for the meeting to start.

((Waiting to fast forwards, I suppose. I've got nothing to do...))

GrassyGnoll
2009-01-28, 11:45 PM
Krag

Krag shoulders the dwarf's bag and climbs over the net one-handed. He hefts the sack over the railing and scans the deck for Anna or any signs of improper deck keeping.

And of course follows, contributing to the fast forwarding.

Whiplord
2009-01-29, 12:27 AM
Lucivar

Lucivar simply gives a shrug. "There are other things the mind can do."

I would like to apologize for this terrible post. I had a really nice long one written up, and then the forums ate it. I don't have the heart to type it up again. :smalleek:

Vox Clamantis
2009-01-29, 12:57 AM
'When everyone fears one thing, they call that unity.'
- Captain Njal of the Hellbent

Before dawn on the appointed day, the underground meeting place of the Crimson Gale's pirate crew filled to capacity with disreputable men and women of every breed and disposition. Although some had sailed aboard the Gale before, an equal number were present simply to bear witness to a dying ritual. It was said that Burnt Njal had once used the same smuggler's cabin to play host to the other captains every winter before the storms broke and the sea deigned to allow men passage across her once again. It was said that Lighthouse had sailed into a hostile port and stolen back the Hellbent's manifest for use upon the Gale, to legitimize his claim to that ship's territorial waters. And it was said that every new member of his crew was permitted to make their mark therein. These rumors and a hundred others circulated the room in coarse whispers, the collected villains strangely intimidated and subdued.

---

Spacious though it may be, the storage room beneath the run-down shack was never meant to house so many. Even the departing chill of winter can't keep the temperature down with so many warm bodies all together. The jingle of jewelry and the scent of rum fill the confined space.

There is an odd hierarchy of position among the attendant corsairs. Only the meanest-looking, the best-known, or the most violent buccaneers can take a seat at the short wooden table at the centre of the room.

By tradition the Cap'n shows up precisely on schedule and locks the trap door behind him. There are a few minutes to go, and the younger pirates are getting restless. A few islands of calm surround past crew whose places on the next voyage are all but guaranteed.

Those of you who have established nautical reputations will probably be able to get seats without too much trouble. Anyone new to the trade wouldn't be able to do so without fighting off the whole congregation, so you'll probably have to stand in the press.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-29, 01:24 AM
edit - damn ninjad

Renato

(the day before)

Renato quits playing once it becomes clear that Shael is letting him win.

He rolls his eyes at her "The game isn't fun when you don't win honestly."

On board he flies up to the crows next, inspects the boat from his view, then removes most of his gear and dives from the crows next (using his flight to give him enough range) and sinks deep into the water. Breathing easily with his fell-gills he begins inspecting the hull, scraping barnacles off here and there and taking mental notes of areas of the hull that may need maintenance.

He comes back out of the water, flies to the crows nest and pulls his gear back on, then flies to Shael and reports what he has seen.

(that morning)

Renato takes one of the seats at the table and leans back in it.

Whiplord
2009-01-29, 01:34 AM
Lucivar

When it becomes clear that the meeting is starting, Lucivar heads back to the basement room, which is quickly becoming packed. Pushing through the crowd of people, with very little care for the politer methods of navigating through a crowd, and casually takes a seat at the table in the center.

Once he gets as comfortable as he can, he idly scans the room. Lots of unfamiliar faces... But then I suppose it's like that every year. Familiar ones too, though.

Surveying the room he tries to size up the newcomers. Most looked as if they had no business aboard the Gale, simply being drawn by the promise of fame that a position aboard the ship gave... but having no skill to backup their claim. Then again, that was the majority every year. There were a few who looked like they might have a bite to their bark though.

This would be interesting, no doubt of that.

Polymath
2009-01-29, 02:25 AM
Alluvial

After dinner Alluvial excuses himself--

And now, gentlemen, I must bid you a good evening and take my leave of you; I suspect tomorrow will be a long day indeed, and I wish to be well rested and have my wits about me for its entirety. You have my thanks for the conversation and the company, and I will see you on the morrow, I am certain.

--and returns above ground to the beach, where the embers of the cooking fire still glow in the impromptu fire circle he constructed earlier out of smooth ocean rocks. Using the light wooden shield strapped to his pack, he shovels a layer of sand over the coals and, satisfied that he will pass the night warmly enough, removes his spectacles and falls fast asleep.

He wakes early the next morning as the beach starts to come alive with hopeful crew members. Hastily, he stows his possessions in his bag and taking up his walking stick, starts back toward the shack. He gait shows a slight limp--a combination of early morning stiffness and the damp air--that improves slightly when he enters the crowded (and significantly warmer) shack.

With the keen navigational eye of long experience--and the sort of maneuverability of which only an old man with a cane moving through a crowd is capable--Alluvial dodges his way as near to the front as possible, though he makes no attempt to get a seat at the table or otherwise distinguish himself, at least for the moment. A young looking pirate with a long, jagged scar running across his cheek gives Alluvial a nervous, sidelong glance as the overly close quarters cause the smoky runes slowly orbiting the old Illumian's head partially pass silently through the tip of his nose.

Patient as ever, Alluvial waits for the Captain to speak; the idea that he may not set sail with the Gale's crew has not even occurred to him as a possibility, and he idly scans the crowd for familiar faces from the day before.

Call that a tumble check to perform the Times Square-esque crowd navigation?

Tumble: [roll0]

Copacetic
2009-01-29, 09:11 AM
Denomer

Alluvial will feel a nudge around his waist. The Air Goblin speaks very quietly.

" I'm sorry I did not answer your question last night; there was not time. But I will answer it now before Lighthouse speaks. I am no Airgoblin, no Practicioner of any Art. I am, and once was, Denomer, The Feathered Darkness. Mighty was my kingdom and great was my rule. Common folk trembled in fear of my lashing claws, and teeth like swords. But then a wizard came, a sneaky, underhanded, sorcerous pest. And he tricked me, and trapped me in an acursed jar. But I freed myself, after many a century. I still need a form to posses, and this one does adaquietly."

sidhe_blooded
2009-01-29, 09:30 AM
Faolan

After waking in the shallows near the Gale Faolan made his way to the meeting. He was by no means the first person there, and seeing the gathered crowd he sighs.
Wonderful, a bunch of twerps who think they can sail.
He mutters to no one in particular as he looks around the room for any familiar faces. Not wanting to deal with moving through the crowd he teleports up to the table and takes a seat near Lucivar.
Good morning my friend, how has the winter treated you?
He asks as they wait for the captain.

Whiplord
2009-01-29, 11:13 AM
Lucivar

Lucivar nods in acknowledgement. "Well enough. Too cold by half though."

AmberVael
2009-01-29, 12:03 PM
Asuya

Asuya is one of the last to show up, arriving just before the Captain. However, despite this, she makes her way through the pressing crowd with extreme ease, people actually moving aside as she walks up to the table. After all, she's been a pirate for years, and she's earned her reputation. They all know who she is- her appearance is distinctive, and her name is connected to events and deeds that are quite well known in the area. After all, breaking ships in half with bolts of thunder and lightning tends to distinguish someone a bit. Not only is it flashy, but it's dangerous.

That said, she takes a seat and crosses her arms on the table, tail twitching back and forth as she glances over everyone gathered. She smiles reassuringly and grins at those who whisper behind her back and recognize her.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-29, 01:18 PM
Renato

Renato looks behind him at the table, nodding to the facts he recognizes from his past days on ships and likes and taking notes of the faces of those who had treated him poorly in the past.

He turns back to those of the past crew sitting at the table and speaks in a low but clearly humored voice, "Is it just me or do more people find this secret cove every year."

Vox Clamantis
2009-01-29, 05:35 PM
There is only a single pirate other than yourselves sitting at the table. An older man with extremely weather-beaten features and prematurely wrinkled nut-brown skin, he seems to have recently come off the worse in a fight of some kind. One hand, one leg below the knee, and one eye are missing and bandaged. A single crutch made of ivory leans against the table next to him, and despite his wretched condition he's wearing some of the richest clothing you've ever seen on a pirate. If he's carrying any weapons, you can't see them, but the riffraff are giving him more space than anyone else in the basement. Crippled pirates that keep sailing tend to get a lot of respect, and this man has clearly been through the wringer.

Standing near the head of the table, making a point of guarding the captain's chair, is a blond dwarf with pleated braids in his beard.

Even those of you with extensive piratical knowledge don't recognize the man, but with all the damage to his face that's not really surprising. Anyone who's sailed the Gale before knows the dwarf as Morgan, the cook.

GrassyGnoll
2009-01-29, 06:29 PM
Krag

The troll wades through the assembled corsairs with ease. He looms over the seats and table, but doesn't take a chair for himself. Krag leans in to get a closer look at the grizzled old man.

Polymath
2009-01-29, 08:27 PM
Alluvial

Alluvial studies the bandaged man carefully, mentally thumbing through his vast storehouse of knowledge. Surely something about him or his distinctive gear was familiar, but what...

This is clearly why god invented inspiration points. Let's see if this gets me anything...

Knowledge (local): [roll0]

KevLar
2009-01-29, 10:32 PM
Shael

Shael has taken a seat opposite of Faolan, and sizes up the convention. A riff-raff, through which she had navigated with little trouble despite her height. An ex-captain is still a captain, even if her ship lies on the ocean's bed, and certain feats she was not at all proud of were still remembered. Well, good.

Naturally, of all those present, the most interesting specimen is the old man who looks like he's been chewed and spit by a shark. It takes her quite some time to recognize him.

She turns and looks at Faolan intensely until she gets his attention, points discreetly to the one-armed, one-eyed, one-and-a-half-legged man, and mouths "Edmund Garry". Then she nods to him to spread the word to those near him. She'd rather not shout across the table.

I forgot to mention that Shael cast Glibness right before entering the shack.

sidhe_blooded
2009-01-29, 11:01 PM
Faolan

After Shael told him the name, Faolan turned to Lucivar and Renato.
Shael wishes me to inform you that the mangled gentleman over there is named Edmund Garry.
He says as quietly as he can against the backdrop of the crowd.
If you would be so kind as to pass the information along to any of our more discreet comrades I believe Shael would be most appreciative.
He finishes with a nod towards Shael.

DJDeMiko
2009-01-30, 12:18 AM
Renato

Passes the message along.

Whiplord
2009-01-30, 01:48 AM
Lucivar

Lucivar simply nods at the news. He had noticed the man, but having not recognized him had decided not to trouble himself overly much.

Vox Clamantis
2009-01-31, 08:17 PM
A loud thump reverberates through the underground chamber. The general ruckus dies down immediately as the collected corsairs strain to listen. The tap of boots on the wooden flooring of the shack echoes around in the silence. The trap door clatters open. A booted foot swings down to catch the rungs of the ladder.

The edge of a skirt drops into view.

Instantly the strained silence dissolves as the pirates fall over each other, loudly guffawing and wiping tears from their eyes. Even the grizzled old cripple sitting at the table parts his cracked lips to smile as a young woman with long red hair drops the rest of the distance and curtsies to the congregation. As the laughter begins to fade, Captain Meroveus climbs down the ladder after her and turns about to look around.

At a bit under two meters, Meroveus matches his reputation only in stature. His features are a bit plain, his clothing is well-made but weather-worn, and he has none of the interesting marks and scars that sailors and soldiers become known by. Even the distinctive racial runes slowly dancing around his head, casting a soft blue light across his face, somehow manage to look ordinary. His posture is straight but unassuming, and he's unarmed. A shock of dark red hair is pulled to the base of his neck, and a large and leather-bound book sits comfortably under one arm, as though in his scrutiny of the gathered pirates he's forgotten completely of its existence.

If Meroveus has any sense of the dramatic, he doesn't evidence it now. In the silence of the moment he simply looks from face to face all around the room, nodding at those he recognizes and noting those who're absent. His eyes are precisely the blue-green hue of tropical waters, and there is an uncanny quality to their focus, as though only whomever he's looking at truly exists in that moment.

Finally satisfied, he takes a few steps up the ladder and throws the dead-bolt, locking everyone in. Coming back down, he sets the book on the table and clears his throat.

My name is Tycon Meroveus.

This here's neutral ground, and I've come unarmed. I note the lot of ye ignored that rule.

A slight titter runs through the crowd.

I'm here about a crew. I have news -

He looks around the room to catch a few eyes.

to share with ye and suppose ye have some to share as well. Best that ye should know what you're getting yorselves into.

Have any among ye news of the southern waters?

There is a moment of silence in which anyone might speak up.

-

Polymath
2009-02-01, 01:09 AM
Alluvial

Alluvial's mental deliberations about whether or not to approach the man he has now identified as Captain Garry--

His story could certainly prove useful in the future, but at the same time, he doesn't appear to be in the mood or condition to be interviewed; perhaps if I approach him casually--

by the sudden arrival of the Gale's captain and his daughter. The shock of so suddenly encountering two members of his race--even in his long years of wide travel, Alluvial rarely crossed paths with fellow Illumians--momentarily leaves the characteristically grandiloquent scholar speechless. For a few seconds, images of his life as a child and adolescent among the Wordsmith Cabal come rushing back to the old man's mind, and he is overcome with a profound sense of nostalgia and homesickness, the first he's felt in many decades. He shakes off the paralysis with the speed and focus of long years of training, though, and immediately begins to shove his way through the crowd when he hears Meroveus' question.

Captain! Yes, Captain! Oh, excuse me sir; pardon me; oh, that's quite a representative of the Ara ararauna species you have there, sir--remarkable coloring!; oh, my apologies, I didn't see your foot there; pardon me...

After a moment or two of crowd dodging, Alluvial returns to the rear of the room, and emerges from the crowd to come face-to-face with the Captain.

Yes, Captain Meroveus isn't it? I've heard such a great deal about you, and I must confess that it is very good to see a fellow member of the Word Made Flesh after all these years; you came from the Wordsmith Cabal, did you not? I'm not sure if they ever mentioned me--I didn't exactly part company with the Cabal elders on the most amicable terms--but, as I think I mentioned, I've certainly heard of you; I suppose I should feel a degree of racial pride that my research indicated you would be the most opportune choice of Captain under whom I might continue my exploration, but I've never been much of a jingoist. Alluvial, I am, at your service of course.

He takes a deep breath, regaining the air he expelled in that breathy rush, and affects the slight, awkwardly stiff bow some of the others had already seen; the morning stiffness hadn't quite worked itself out, apparently, despite the heat of the crowded shack.

In any case, I digress from the matter at hand--I do apologize for that, but it's an unfortunate habit I've developed over the years, and I cannot seem to stop it, no matter how stalwartly I endeavor--which, I believe, was news from the Southern waters? I'm not sure what counts as 'news' to your ears; that is, I don't know if what I have to tell you is unknown to you, as I can't read your mind, you know--well, I'm incapable of pseudo-telepathic contact currently, I suppose it would be possible in theory if I had adequate time to prepare, but I'm--

He stops rapidly, seeming to notice the strikingly beautiful Illumian girl with the Captain for the first time. He blinks a few times behind his silver-rimmed spectacles, then shifts his gaze back to the captain and takes a deep breath before continuing.

In any case, I'm sure that not all present know what I do, so it will be news to some at least. Captain, you may or may be aware that the Drow--the dark-skinned race which shares a common ancestor with both the terrestrial and aquatic elves with which most of the populace is more familiar--have recently been, well, I suppose the vernacular term would be "on the march." I have several reasonably reliable accounts attesting to the fact that they have been making a recent bid for oceanic dominance; that they are raising a fleet of warships seems all but certain, but I have also heard rumors suggesting that the fleet may be composed of warships that are, well...invisible. The drow are notoriously adept with magic, particularly that of deception and darkness, so that something like this would be the case is certainly not out of the question; visible or no, they have sunk approximately one dozen ships in the waters south of here. Their ultimate motivations are unknown--at least to me--but it certainly seems an inauspicious omen under which to set sail.

He pauses, then adds rapidly:

Not that you should take this to mean that I don't seek a position among your crew, of course; I've encountered the drow on more than one occasion, and their shadow is often far longer than their threat, if you follow my metaphor...

DJDeMiko
2009-02-01, 02:41 AM
Renato

Renato listens to the old guy, alluvial if he remembers right, interrupting the captain's rhetorical question with a grin. He keeps himself from laughing, knowing the older fellow means no harm.

He speaks up softly, "Captain, I heard em talk a spell earlier, I think he knows what he's talkin bout." Then shuts up to let the captain speak.

GrassyGnoll
2009-02-01, 02:56 AM
Krag

Krag listens intently to the captain's question. The answers he receives, not so much. The troll shakes off a diverting thought in time to hear the closure of Alluvial's speech. He offhandedly points to the scholar and adds, "Wot 'e sed."

AmberVael
2009-02-01, 09:45 AM
Asuya

Asuya doesn't laugh with the others as Annaliese arrives, but she does grin and wave cheerily to the girl while her father is occupied with coming down the ladder. She gives the Captain's book a bemused glance, wondering just what kind of reading had interested him, but then focuses her attention on his words. She's beginning to regret not having stayed by the coastline by now- this makes twice that she is going to be unable to provide any useful input. But, as it turns out, Alluvial apparently has enough words to make up for her lack.

Her lack and everyone else's, Asuya notes wryly. The man could talk the ear off a ship's figurehead, but his message was important. Mentally cutting through the rambling and blather, Asuya thinks about the heart of the message- drow in the nearby waters, trying to establish themselves as a threat. Now that doesn't sound good.

"If the drow are trying to take over our waters, they should be shown that the most dangerous ship in the sea sails under our flag!"

Says Asuya loudly, not so much intending to propose that they single-handedly run off to chase out the drow fleet as she is attempting to embolden and inspire those gathered in the little shack, reminding them of their reputation and skill in the face of a rather large threat.

Vox Clamantis
2009-02-01, 10:09 AM
A stunned hush from the assembly greets Alluvial's rambling monologue, but after the second pause they're no longer fixed on the elderly Illumian. To a man, the pirates are looking from the old man to Captain Meroveus with bloodthirsty anticipation in their eyes. Meroveus, for his part, manifests a nearly inhuman patience. Long after his daughter is rubbing her temples and Captain Garry is clutching a ten-penny that he's produced from under his cloak, Meroveus simply continues nodding at the appropriate times, never breaking eye contact. When the older man finally concludes, he takes his hands off the table-top and straightens up.

Mister Alluvial, need I remind you of that esteemed member of our own cabal who said famously, "brevity is the soul of wit, and tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes."

For the first time his brow wrinkles in slight disapproval.

Whether on my ship or no, you'd be well served to conserve the indulgence of your listeners.

Holding up his hand to forestall response, he leans in towards the unsightly cripple and speaks very softly -

Do ye have any news from the south, Edmund?

-

Copacetic
2009-02-01, 10:09 AM
Denomer

The Goblin Once again Remains silent in the discussion, instead preferring to hover a few feet so as to see past everyone's waists to the table.

Vox Clamantis
2009-02-01, 05:22 PM
Clearing his throat roughly and spitting to one side, the craggy old man nods and draws his crutch over, standing with surprising ease and casting about with a serious, bitter look on his face.

Edmund Garry, formerly of the Garry's Own. You see -

Without pausing, he begins to limp around a bit as though pacing.

Around about last summer my ship got sank by the drow. Sank her with all hands, myself excluded bless my luck and I was left to float along grasping a spar until picked up by a merchantman and nursed back to health praise be to merciful heaven.

But I had a lot of time to meself as I drifted on the waves -

Edmund...

I'm coming to it, Captain. I'm getting there. Pardon a man for dwelling on his misfortunes.

The long and the short of it be that the south's not safe to sail, nor profitable enough to warrant the danger. My problem, then -

He speaks quickly to forestall another interruption from Meroveus.

is that I have neither ship nor waters to sail her in.

Nodding his head in satisfaction at that, Garry limps with surprising speed over to the wall of sailors surrounding the table, the sailors silently making a path for him. Turning, he resumes speaking.

I'm thinking to take yours.

Those words hang in the air for a moment, and then the silence shatters. Over the hiss of drawing weapons, the click of cocked hammers, and the clatter of barrels and chairs as many of the gathered pirates point weapons at Meroveus, you can hear him calling out.

Garry! I'll have your skull for a figurehead, by god!

And then, even louder

Twenty thousand to whoever brings me the head of Edmund Garry! AND SOMEBODY GET ME A BLOODY WEAPON!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c149/mrgabest/Crimson%20Gale/PirateLair-Round1.jpg

Map should be fairly self-explanatory. 'Sh' is Shael, 'S' is Shearan. 'A' is for Asuya, 'Al' is Alluvial. The brown squares to the west are boxes of goods, the grey rectangles are cots.

Despite the color scheme, none of you are required or expected to fight for Meroveus or even to fight at all. You can even cast your lot in with Garry if you like. :smalltongue:

Initiative Order

Edmund Garry
Buckaneer 4
Buckaneer 5
Buckaneer 6
Buckaneer 2
Renato
Shearan
Corsair 2
Annaliese
Alluvial
Corsair 1
Corsair 3
Shael
Lucivar
Faolan
Buccaneer 3
Krag
Meroveus
Denomer
Buccaneer 1
Corsair 4
Sailor 2
Buccaneer 7
Asuya
Sailor 3
Corsair 6
Corsair 5
Corsair 7
Sailor 1

KevLar
2009-02-01, 06:21 PM
Shael

Shael doesn't need to think about her loyalties. Without Meroveus, she'd be dead by now - or insane. She shouts over the hubbub, her voice booming inside the wooden shack.

"Garry has sold us all, you fools! Side with him and you'll end up in the gallows!"

bluff: [roll0]

Vox Clamantis
2009-02-01, 06:23 PM
Almost before Meroveus gets the words out of his mouth, the older pirate with the gnarled and weathered face pulls a pair of fine percussion-cap pistols out of his coat and fires at him, the sudden blasts ringing throughout the chamber. Both shots impact on the wall far behind him in little puffs of clay and mud.

By god, somebody shoot the man!

Around the table a number of pirates, clearly in league with Garry, produce pistols of their own and fire at Meroveus in a piecemeal salvo, sending him ducking beneath the table to avoid their shots.

AmberVael
2009-02-01, 07:33 PM
Asuya

While the others shout, raising their voices to proclaim their displeasure and hate, Asuya stands. When they turn from their proclamations and bring out their weapons, Asuya makes her own statement and lets her voice be heard- but her voice comes not from her throat, but from the wrath of the storm, the boom of thunder and crack of lightning.
Sparkling energy coils around her arms, and she sends it writhing among all those who would fight against Meroveus, her captain. While a thunderous cacophony of sound rages about the room from her work, the true danger is from the potent electricity she is throwing about.

I'll stand from my seat as a move action.

Use a swift action to change from Presence Draconic Aura to Power Draconic aura.

Casting Chain Lightning. I have caster level 20- the main blast of the attack goes against Edmund, and I'll target the anyone who attacks Meroveus with my secondary attacks (up to a maximum of 20 people, but I don't think that'll come into play).
Damage: [roll0] lightning damage, (halved for secondary targets) and 6 extra sonic damage to all targets from my Thunderbolt ability (stormcaster).
Reflex save DC 27 for half damage.
All of those who take any damage from the spell must make a dc 27 fort save or be stunned. (This also comes from the Thunderbolt ability).

sidhe_blooded
2009-02-01, 07:54 PM
Faolan

As the commotion begins Faolan rises from his chair and draws his spear as he leaps onto the table and issues a growl one wouldn't expect to come from the throat of an elf.

I'm working under the assumption that standing up from the chair is a move action and not a swift action, if I'm wrong then I'm gonna bring the hurt to Edmund if possible and a corsair if not.

DJDeMiko
2009-02-01, 08:00 PM
Renato

ooc - I'm guessing the number of pirates with him are the 4 buccaneers. So if I'm wrong sorry about posting out of order.

edit - apparently I cheated :) I have learned that using flight to negate the required move action to stand from a sitting or prone position is a house rule. So editing to go invis for now.

Renato's mind races with things to scream and shout at the man, but he keeps his mouth shut. A scout knows when to keep quiet.

Renato Stands and then blinks out of existence.

move action to stand.
Standard action to activate walk unseen, 24 hours of invis.

Copacetic
2009-02-01, 08:16 PM
Denomer

Time to End this, I think. Cut off the Head of the Snake. With a thought, Denomer vanishes. A moment later, a burst of bright energy flashes from above the Mutinous cripple.

Free Action to Activate Ring of Greater Invisibilty, Then a move action to fly over Eddy, followed by a Sneak Attack Blast.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Oh, and if it hits, thats 2 points of Strength Damage.

Whiplord
2009-02-01, 10:16 PM
Lucivar
HP 62/62 AC 24 T 14 FF 23 2 Minds

Lucivar supressed a sigh. Was it really too much to ask for a peaceable meeting? Probably. Cursed pirates and their infuriating penchant for pointless squabbles. He briefly considered whose side he should take, but it was only briefly. He had known Meroveus for a few years, and respected him besides.

And of course the man Gerry had been part of a ship that had fallen to a drow attack. Besides being a poor omen by some sailors' standards, it was a rather poor indication of his skill, even if he had been the only one to survive. Likely it was only by come act of cowardice that he had survived in the first place. Lucivar was tempted to correct this personally, but the others seemed to have it all well in hand. He would be better served dealing with the smaller insects.

Lucivar concentrated, visualizing a tree in his mind, standing tall and powerful. In his minds eye a lightning bolt struck down from the sky and clove the tree perfectly down the middle. All this happened in little more than a second.

We should kill them. Strike now, strike fast, and crush them under our boot. Crush them utterly. You know this is the path to power. Hissed the sibiliant tones of the Lucivar's second mind.

Yes, yes. All will come in time. First things first though. The first mind answered exasperated.

Taking several large steps back, Lucivar threw out his arm, and his hand formed the proper arcane symbols with magically enhanced speed. A brightly glowing dust began to fall from the ceiling, drifting towards several enemy buccaneers.

All will come in time.

Full Round: N/A
Move: Move back 15 feet, in best manner to avoid attacks and stay removed from danger as much as possible.
Standard: Manifest Schism
Swift: Burn 1 charge of circlet, cast Glitterdust

Spend 4PP to Manifest Schism, then burn 1 charge on my Circlet of Rapid Casting to cast Glitterdust, after moving back. Glitterdust will target the largest possible group of enemy pirates without including any allies; 10 foot radius, DC 19 Will or become Blind.

Spells 'n StuffWizard

level 1
1 Grease
2 Enlarge Person
3 Nerveskitter

level 2
2 Glitterdust
1 Spectral Hand
1 Rope Trick
2 Alter Self

level 3
2 Haste
1 Phantasmal Strangler
1 Stinking Cloud
2 Unluck

level 4
1 Evard's Black Tentacles
1 Celerity
2 Assay Spell Resistance
1 Greater Invisibility

level 5
1 Greater Blink
1 Enervation
1 Flesh To Ice

level 6
1 Disintegrate
1 Freezing Fog
1 Globe of Invulnerability

level 7
1 Greater Arcane Sight

Cleric

1 Divine Favor
1 Blessed Aim
1 Ebon Eyes
1 Lesser Vigor
1 Sign
1 Bless
1 Cure Light Wounds
1 Divine Protection
1 Dark Way
1 Bear's Endurance
1 Bull's Strength
1 Shatter
1 Cure Moderate Wounds
1 Magic Circle Against Chaos
1 Dispel Magic
1 Summon Monster III
1 Stone Shape
1 Cure Serious Wounds
1 Air Walk
1 Divine Power
1 Magic Weapon, Greater
1 Cure Critical Wounds
1 Dragon Breath
1 Consumptive Field
1 Cure Light Wounds, Mass

Power Points: 114

Polymath
2009-02-01, 10:21 PM
Alluvial

Alluvial blinks rapidly as gunfire erupts all around him, pausing to consider his strategy for only a moment before his instincts kick in and he begins to move, all previous traces of limp and stiffness gone in an instant.

I see what you mean about not trying the patience of my audience, Captain, he calls, as Meroveus ducks behind the table, narrowly dodging a volley of shots. I shall certainly keep it in mind in the future, but I should think that you would like my voice to be heard quite clearly just now:

He closes his eyes for a moment as if calming himself and focusing his mind. When they snap open again a moment later, he is staring directly at Gerry with a gaze so focused that it seems to pierce directly into the man's soul...which, in a way it does.

Your facade may have fooled those here for a time, my dear former Captain, but I think you will find the Universe far less vulnerable to such subterfuge; it whispers your Name to me even now:

His next word echoes with power, momentarily cutting through the din of battle and seeming to speed across the room and slam into the pirate.

Iratha'alrish-yeropeen-duorzeileu!

Alluvial nods in satisfaction as Gerry begins to subtly falter, stumbling into effects he might otherwise have avoided as the Universe subtly reworks itself to ensure that harm comes to him.

Confident in his allies' abilities to see that matter through, Alluvial turns his attention to the young Illumian girl, who doesn't yet seem to have registered the sudden turn of events.

By the Gods, I'm getting too old for this...

Moving with a speed and grace that would have seemed impossible a moment before, he bounds across the room toward Annalise; as always, words pour from his mouth as he moves.

Foolish child! Our race is enough of a rarity without suffering unnecessary numerical reductions in such bar-room brawls as this; I suggest you follow your father's example, and take cover!

He slides into cover next to Meroveus, grinning wildly in spite of the circumstances, and shouts another booming word of power, this time directed at Annalise:

Aihcurayf-u'al'itep-duorzepot!

Beginning at the top of her head and rapidly descending, the girl vanishes from view--it is as if an invisible curtain has been lowered in front of her and now obscures her from sight.

This is reasonably complex and kind of conditional; I'm posting now so I don't have to keep hitting 'refresh' all night waiting for Annalise's action. As written, here's what's happening mechanically:

1. Standard action to recite a reversed Confounding Resistence on Gerry. Taking 10 on this yields a 56, which is enough to affect him unless he's 21st level or above (yikes).

This will affect him differently depending on how he works. If he's got Evasion, he loses it. If he's got Improved Evasion, he now only has Evasion. If he has neither, he takes a -2 on all saves. Regardless, this lasts for 5 rounds.

2. Move action combined with a tumble to get over to cover with Meroveus without provoking any attacks of opportunity. Again, I'll take 10 on the tumble check (if necessary) for a 25. I'll draw my shield (just so everything's nice and legal) as I move.

3. Free action to drop prone behind as much cover as I can get.

Now here's the conditional part.

If Annalise is out of harm's way by this point, I'll cancel that action. If she's still in danger (even moderately), I'll spend 3 Inspiration Points to take a second

4. Standard action to do a reversed Vision Sharpened on her, rendering her Invisible for 5 rounds. Again, taking 10 should be fine on the Truespeak check for this.

Once I see what she's doing, I'll edit the post appropriately (though they're close enough in Initiative order that most of it will probably still be appropriate.

Whew.

GrassyGnoll
2009-02-01, 11:44 PM
Krag

The troll turns on the impromptu firing squad, incensed by the attempt on his captain's life. He embraces the closest turncoat and pulls violently out of the corsair's back.

He towers over the man's shoulder, leaning out to gnaw at the closest buccaneer.

Full attack, 2 claws against C2/C3, or whomsoever falls within Krag's reach. Bite attack against B1/B2 if they're within ten feet.

Activate Rage. AC is now 26

Claw Attack #1: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Claw Attack #2: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
Rend: [roll4]

Bite Attack: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]

Edit: Since Bite is a secondary attack that is actually only +10 to damage. My mistake.

KevLar
2009-02-02, 04:48 AM
Shael

Shael mumbles a curse, leaps down from her chair and quickly scans the room. Such a small shack for so many pirates... Who's with them, who's against them, who's waiting for a winner to pick a side? But aiming pistols and drawn blades tell tales. You meant to surround the Captain, Garry? Let's see how that works for you.

Some people at least, Shael can trust for now. She turns to those near her, on the table, and points south.
"Leave this lot to me for now, and go get Garry." she says in obvious disgust, and makes a strange gesture accompanied by equally strange words. Sounding not like waves, as words from her mouth sometimes do, but completely otherworldly. She looks focused, determined and ready to do anything. Anything at all.

Immediately, the area south of her is filled by a music so cacophonous it hurts. At least, it hurts those inside.

Move action: Stand up (if I can also move, I move east near Meroveus, drawing the cutlass)
Standard action: casting Fugue, 30 ft radius, DC Will 24.
Details:
area: South sector, including as many hostile pirates as possible without anyone at the table getting caught. I'd guess C-5 or C-6 to B-7 if I knew the scale.
duration: concentration, from now on handled by the spirit guide (no more detecting spirits)

Those who save take a –2 penalty on attack rolls and skill checks as long as they remain in the affected area.

Those who fail, on their turn:

Denomer (sorry Frigs...) takes [roll0] nonlethal damage.
All non-hostile pirates are knocked prone.
If any of the hostile pirates is nearest to another hostile (and not someone from the visceral fluid :smalltongue:), he attacks nearest creature.
The tallest, most visible of them attacks nearest creature regardless. (Presumably one of the pirates who are not getting involved.)
The rest are stunned.

I didn't roll Perform checks for each, because the maximum check result needed is 40 and I have a +41 modifier.

"Told you they sold us all..." she says darkly as she watches the scene.

EDIT - OOC:
Everyone can judge the area of the Fugue by sound - and if people start dropping like flies, by sight too. All hear it, but only those inside are affected. Those who have fought with Shael in the past would know that it's best to avoid it. But if you need to enter it, there will be no harm done for you except -2 to attack (negated by the AC penalty of stunned people) if you save, or nonlethal damage if you don't.
The rest of you (Denomer and Alluvial)... you'll have to make a judgment call. :)

PS - I would honestly target the whole room with that thing, and serve a nice helping of nonlethal damage to the entire party for the advantage of a stunned Garry and his men - but being a group of bloodthirsty pirates and all, it really didn't seem appropriate to piss everyone. :smalltongue:

Vox Clamantis
2009-02-05, 11:34 PM
The pirate meeting dissolves into a mêlée of arcane blasts and slashing blades, violence nearly deprived of pattern or purpose.

Kicking back his chair and rising, Renato fades from sight.

A burly pirate who had clearly been waiting for Garry's signal lays into the troll, carving at him with a jagged cutlass in each hand. From the expression on his face, it's clear that he's desperate to put the creature down before it can get its claws on him.The dice gods are angry. Krag takes 66 damage.

Across the room, Annaliese curses eloquently in Dwarvish. It would appear that she lacks the common sense to get out of the way. As luck would have it, Alluvial bounds across the table with unseemly spryness and commands the universe to make her invisible.

The swarthy deckhand in front of Garry reacts quickly, stepping up to the table and slashing at the still-seated Lucivar. 9 damage.

Another one of the pirates near Krag joins the fight to bring him down before he has a chance to get angry, attacking with a blade with one hand and clutching a belaying pin with another. Another 12 to Krag.

Shael casts a spell that knocks the two usurpers farthest from the fight silly and causes havoc among those trying to keep out of the fight.

Lucivar casts a spell that seems to have no effect other than to shower a portion of the chamber with sparkling filaments. With DC 19, you can't have expected much.

Faolan engages the mutineer attacking Lucivar. PM me your actions and I'll retcon them into play.

A lanky sailor with a bad leg sidles up on Krag and slashes expertly at him with a simple belt knife. 27 damage. Wow, you must have done something awful recently.

Now surrounded by enemies, Krag finally gets a word in edge-wise. Ducking under one claw, a pirate catches the other across the top of his head and gets his skull caved in by the force of the blow.

Rolling out from his cover next to the table, Lighthouse cracks his fist across a pirate's jaw, knocking him unconscious but breaking his hand in the process. The snap of bones is clearly audible to those nearby, and Captain commences to curse at the top of his lungs in Aquatic. Multilingual vulgarity seems to run in the family.

Blink and Denomer is gone, reappearing a moment later to take a blast at Garry from nearly on top of him. Hit! But not as much damage as you'd think.

A pirate runs at and misses Lucivar. Another closes with Shael and takes a swipe at her with a heavy curved blade, barely missing her skull. Nearly a crit! :smalltongue: Only 10 damage.

One of the sailors near Garry turns at his master's cry of alarum, raising his hands and chanting a quick spell. Renato, Annaliese, and Denomer flash back into sight with startled looks on their faces.

Asuya calls forth the power of the storm, blasting two of the pirates into the afterlife but narrowly missing Garry himself and several others. Damaged them, tho.

A sailor with a panicked look on his face shouts a word in the language of dragons and disappears in a flash, seemingly convinced that the battle wouldn't end well. Those of you with Spellcraft easily discern that he cast Teleport.

A pirate each attacks Asuya and Shael, missing one but hitting the other. Asuya taking 27.

And finally, the last of the three professional-looking sailors near Garry raises his hands high and sends a positive swarm of blazing magics at Renato. Spellcrafty folk recognize Quickened and ordinary Magic Missile spells when they see them. Renato takes 34 damage.

NEW MAP
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c149/mrgabest/Crimson%20Gale/PirateLair-Round2.jpg

GrassyGnoll
2009-02-05, 11:59 PM
Krag

"Runty gitz! 'Arder! 'ARDER!," the troll bellows. Krag lashes at two more corsairs with his gnarled hands.

+26 temporary HP from Rage and 5 from Regeneration. Full attack against two different pirates (C3/B3 if they're still there), skip the bite.

Attack #1:[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Attack #2:[roll2]
Damage:[roll3]

DJDeMiko
2009-02-06, 01:50 PM
Renato

Renato barely manages to hold his tongue. First his invisibility, then they make him bleed . . . no one makes him bleed his own blood, no one! (ooc - sorry, couldn't help it). Silence is golden, best to draw as little attention to himself as possible. He summons his power and his wounds begin to close.

Renato kicks into the air and flies over the table with his sights on Edmund Garry. He raises his scepter, aiming it at Garry and a bolt of deep purple energy flies out of it straight at Garry.

Free action - activating fiendish healing, fast healing 2 for 2 minutes

Move action -
Renato moves over the table with flight. He plans to keep garry, S1 and S2 within 30 feet of him and he has to move over 20 feet.

Standard action
ranged touch attack using eldritch chain and vitrolic blast

ranged touch on garry
[roll0]
Sr if necessary [roll1]
If it hits [roll2] acid damage

Chain to S1 unless attack on garry missed
ranged touch to hit
[roll3]
Sr if necessary [roll4]
29 damage if hit

Chain to S2 unless attack on S1 missed
ranged touch to hit
[roll5]
Sr if necessary [roll6]
29 damage if hit

edit - wow bad attack rolls, luckily touch attacks though.

AmberVael
2009-02-06, 02:46 PM
Asuya

Asuya bites back a curse as the sailor swings at her, barely missing her throat. This wasn't exactly what she was wanting to accomplish... taking a few steps back, she sends a flurry of smaller spells at him before turning and flinging a blast of electricity at the sailor near Garry. Edmund didn't need to get help from minions.

Five foot step directly away from C5, who I assume was the one that attacked me.
I'll then use a charge from my Circlet of Rapid Casting to cast an Electric Loop on C5- I can also have it affect 5 targets as long as they are all adjacent. I think C4 and C6 might count, and possibly a couple of the nearby B's- if anyone moves up to me, just affect the closest six to me, starting with C5.

First, they all make a reflex save, DC 23 for half damage.
[roll0] electric damage, plus 2 sonic damage.
If they fail the reflex save, they have to make a will save, DC 23, or be stunned for one round.
No matter how they do on the other saves, if they take damage, they'll need to make a fortitude save, DC 23, or be stunned.

Next, Asuya will cast Arcane Fusion, shooting a Lesser Orb of Electricity at C5, using her 1st level spell slot.

Touch Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] electric damage, and 1 sonic damage.
He'll need to make a DC 22 fort save or be stunned from that.

Lastly, Asuya will use her 4th level spell slot from Arcane Fusion to cast Orb of Electricity at S1.

Touch Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] electric damage, and 4 sonic damage.
He'll need to make a DC 25 fort save or be entangled, and then another DC 25 fort save or be stunned.

Oh, right, and from all that crazy casting, I'll regain 7 hit points via Draconic Vigor.

Polymath
2009-02-06, 07:54 PM
Alluvial

Alluvial ducks his head down below the table again as a stray blast of arcane energy scorches the air on its way by. He sighs in consternation as Annaliese pops back into view, still apparently not having realized that she's in mortal danger. He shouts at her in a complex, polysyllabic language that sounds remarkably like the words of power he has been using, though they don't echo with the same force.

Yelling at her in Illumian with the hope that it'll break through her shock.

Get down you foolish child! I have little doubt that Gerry's men would be only too happy to strike at your father through you, and it seems in the interest of all concerned that you deny them the opportunity!

He reaches out one hand, trying to clutch at her dress and force her to take cover. Simultaneously, he twists his neck around, peeking up above the level of the table again to take careful note of Garry's position and current actions. A bit of mental calculation and he hurls another throat-scorching word of power toward the pirate.

Orroni'varnath-yeroapaen-duorzeilesint!

Confident that his words have had the desired effect, he ducks down again, still gesturing wildly at the nearby girl to join him behind cover. The air around Garry begins to thicken at once, first imperceptibly but soon so much that he seems to be moving through a small bubble of viscous piratical fluid of his own, drastically slowing his actions.

Who knows it all this works, but here it goes.

I'm going to try to use the combination of my move and swift actions to get Annaliese's attention and drag her down to safety. I'm not putting enough effort into it to make a grapple check--more like trying to snap her out of it and/or lead her down in the direction of cover if she's still out of it.

Standard action to throw a reversed Greater Speed of the Zephyr onto Garry. He's Slowed for three rounds, giving him a -1 to AC, attacks, and reflex saves, halving his movement speed, and allowing him only a single move or standard action each round (no full round actions). That stacks with the Confounding Resistance still in effect.

Whiplord
2009-02-06, 07:56 PM
Lucivar
HP 62/62 AC 24 T 14 FF 23 DR 5/- 2 Minds

You call that crushing them? That was pathetic!

Shut up. It's your fault I couldn't do something more effective.

Lucivar holds up his hands and mutters something else.

Full Round: N/A
Move: Move back 15 feet, in best manner to avoid attacks and stay removed from danger as much as possible.
Standard 1: Manifest fully augmented Electric Energy Missile. 14d6 damage to 5 targets. Let's say C2, C3, S1, S2, B1. Provided they're all still alive when my turn comes. If not, any 5 will do, although one's who are closer take priority. Ref 31 for half.
Standard 2: Disintegrate on Gerry. Fort DC 23 (:smallfrown:)
Standard (Mental): Manifest Inertial Barrier via Schism
Swift: Use Belt of Battle to gain another standard action

So, I don't really know how Energy Missile works in regards to the multiple targets things. I think there's just one damage roll. If however, you want me to do it for each, I'll just roll that in OOC. I think I'm doing the rest right. But maybe not.

Screwed up rolls, in OOC

ALSO: Assume that Lucivar will use Abrupt Jaunt to move out of the way of future attacks. He has 6 daily uses.

Spells 'n StuffWizard

level 1
1 Grease
2 Enlarge Person
3 Nerveskitter

level 2
2 Glitterdust
1 Spectral Hand
1 Rope Trick
2 Alter Self

level 3
2 Haste
1 Phantasmal Strangler
1 Stinking Cloud
2 Unluck

level 4
1 Evard's Black Tentacles
1 Celerity
2 Assay Spell Resistance
1 Greater Invisibility

level 5
1 Greater Blink
1 Enervation
1 Flesh To Ice

level 6
1 Disintegrate
1 Freezing Fog
1 Globe of Invulnerability

level 7
1 Greater Arcane Sight

Cleric

1 Divine Favor
1 Blessed Aim
1 Ebon Eyes
1 Lesser Vigor
1 Sign
1 Bless
1 Cure Light Wounds
1 Divine Protection
1 Dark Way
1 Bear's Endurance
1 Bull's Strength
1 Shatter
1 Cure Moderate Wounds
1 Magic Circle Against Chaos
1 Dispel Magic
1 Summon Monster III
1 Stone Shape
1 Cure Serious Wounds
1 Air Walk
1 Divine Power
1 Magic Weapon, Greater
1 Cure Critical Wounds
1 Dragon Breath
1 Consumptive Field
1 Cure Light Wounds, Mass

Power Points: 95

KevLar
2009-02-06, 09:41 PM
Shael

Facing the blades of two pirates, the nixie seems to lose interest in fighting.
Shearan, don't let this scum of the sea get near the captain! she exclaims, and valiantly ducks. She slides under the tall - for her height, at least - table, draws her cutlass once out of sight, and ends up near the other corner, looking intensely outside and ready to spring back up again.

She mutters a word, and begins to sing a song Asuya in particular appreciates greatly, one about the strength of the dragons who dwell on the sea. She doesn't need to shout. In the horrible noise of the battle, her voice is subtle but somehow seems to reach directly the minds of all those who fight for her Captain, even though Garry's men fail to notice it.

Meanwhile, somewhere in her mind, an imaginary sea snake focuses on another song, a discordant one, which still fills the other side of the room.

Move action: move North (under the table), drawing the cutlass. 15 ft movement max, ending up at the corner, no more than a 5 foot step away from the North and West side of the table.
Tumble at half speed: [roll0]

Swift action: Inspirational Boost
Standard action: Activate Bardic Music with Subsonics, for Inspire Courage with Dragonfire Inspiration. From now on and until further notice, allies receive +5 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects, and +5d6 fire damage with weapons.

Free action: Spirit Guide maintains concentration on the Fugue, stunning all enemies.

OOC: Naturally, the call to Shearan happens out of initiative, before she acts.

Copacetic
2009-02-06, 09:57 PM
Denomer

The Goblin Floats upward, and takes and Fire springs from his Palms at the Mage who cancelled hs Invisibility.

[roll0]

[roll1]

Brimstone Blast Towards the Mage, and a Move Action to Float to the Top of Ceiling.

Vox Clamantis
2009-02-06, 10:13 PM
Swearing loudly through lips still slightly deformed by his ordeal at sea, Garry steps from under Denomer and lets him have it with both barrels of his silver flintlock pistols, coming within a hair's breadth of putting two holes through him. 20 damage after taking your DR into account. You're pretty ballsy for a guy with only 30-something HP... :smallfrown:
One of the pirates who'd initially fired at the Captain drops his pistol and tugs a rusty sabre from his belt as he sidles up alongside Asuya. Another, unable to get into close combat, moves away from the fighting and hurls his expended pistol at Renato, who is caught by entirely by surprise as the makeshift projectile nearly conks him on the head. Missed Asuya by a mile. Renato takes 4 damage. :smalltongue:
In the southern part of the chamber, the pirate not rendered senseless by Shael's spell charged Meroveus, coming so close to decapitating the Captain that his sword's curved edge passes through one of his smoky sigils.Threatened, didn't confirm. That would have been an interesting plot twist!

Vox Clamantis
2009-02-07, 08:26 PM
Renato moves to the northeast, taking a blast at Garry that blows chunks of clay over that side of the chamber when it impacts against the wall and then arcs around, causing havoc among his sailors. Hit, and arced.

Annaliese runs over to grab the pistol that had just recently bounced whizzed by Renato's skull, crouching down to reload it from her own powder belt. Alluvial's entreaties earn him a look that would curdle milk as she fumbles with the short ramrod.

Garry's actions slow to a crawl as the universe reorders itself upon hearing the language of creation.

In desperation, the pirate who had been attacking Luciver turns on Faolan, attacking him furiously but with little effect. 22.

Having just seen his comrade get ripped to shreds, one of Krag's attackers goes nearly berserk himself, slashing great rents in the troll's rapidly healing skin. 39 damage. Unless you have some objection, I'm going to describe damage to Krag as actually making contact. Since he's constantly healing back the damage, it makes more sense to have the attacks actually hurt him in the first place.

Shael begins to sing, but meanwhile her spell stuns both pirates still within its range.

Lucivar releases a coruscating sphere of electrical impulses that fries two of the mutineers on the west side of the room and bounces around among the others. Greased B3 and B4, damaged the others to varying degrees.

((And now we're waiting on Faolan's actions.))
NEW MAP
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c149/mrgabest/Crimson%20Gale/PirateLair-Round25.jpg

sidhe_blooded
2009-02-07, 08:49 PM
Faolan

Faolan makes a motion towards Garry and disappears only to reappear on top of him and make a pair of quick strikes with his spear before disappearing again and appearing again on the table.

sorry, was still confused about the last round, anyway crunchy bits-

teleporting behind Garry, making two attacks-
[roll0]
[roll1]

damage from attack 1-[roll2]
reave damage-[roll3]
skirmish damage-[roll4]
extra skirmish if he's more than 20 ft. away-[roll5]

damage from attack 2-[roll6]
skirmish-[roll7]
extra skirmish-[roll8]

if my first attack is a crit then the reave dice aren't doubled, but the +13 is.

if an attack hits he'll also take a point of constitution damage (or two if both attacks hit)

my AC increases by either 3 or 5 depending on how far I move.

sidhe_blooded
2009-02-07, 09:09 PM
rolling for whatever boost kevlar has going-
attack 1-[roll0]
attack 2-[roll1]

KevLar
2009-02-15, 03:13 PM
Shael

Still under the table and looking out, Shael stops her singing and mutters a curse. The spirits take you and drown you, Garry. She then turns around and moves back again, towards her captain. As subtly as before, the nixie begins another song on a different tune, one without dragons this time. But about the legendary pirate whom Meroveus is apparently trying to succeed.

"Go home, go home!" cried Burnt Njal, "and tell your king of me!
If he reigns king upon the land, I'll reign King on the sea!"

Free action: Stop singing. Rounds left for Dragonfire Inspiration: 10.
Move action: Move diagonally to SE, end up just north of where Shearan should be. Under the table.
Swift action: Cast Inspirational Boost for the next song.
Standard action: Activate Bardic Music with Subsonics for Inspire Courage without Dragonfire Inspiration.
Immediate action (right after my turn ends, counts as the swift action of my next turn): Activate badge of valor for another +1 to Inspire Courage.
From now on and until further notice, allies get +6 morale bonus to attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, and saves against fear and charm effects).
Free action: Spirit guide concentrates on the Fugue, stunning enemies within. Rounds left: 10.

OOC: Sorry for the erratic behavior and back and forths, it's just that the roster on the map keeps changing...

Vox Clamantis
2009-02-19, 08:25 PM
Seeing the troll's wounds closing, the doomed pirate endures only one moment of abject despair before his gets torn to pieces by the enraged monster.Very dead.
Across the room, Captain Meroveus curses his shattered hand at the top of his lungs and backs away from the pirate who's menacing him with drawn sword.

Denomer throws a blast at the magical-wielding sailor. Hit!
Near the table, a corsair catches Shearan napping and lands a clean thrust into her leg, opening the artery. A high scream dies as the leak of blood deprives her brain of oxygen.

Asuya toasts the mutineer nearest her in two strokes of lightning and then hurls a ball of crackling energy at the sailor nearest Garry, who dies as the brief current illuminates his bones.

Two pirates close in on the Cap'n, trapping him between them and tearing long rents in his clothing with their knives. Hit! Hit!
((Next Round))

Growing frantic at the sight of so many of his men falling so quickly, Garry takes one shot each at Denomer and Renato with his pistols, obviously hoping against hope to take them both out and even the odds. 9 damage to Denomer and 14 to Renato.
Another pirate runs over to join the crowd gathering around Meroveus, and two of the mob manage to tear a gash in his side!If you let my former-PC die in the first battle, I'm gonna get cranky(-er) :smallfurious: :smalltongue:
Map:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c149/mrgabest/Crimson%20Gale/PirateLair-Round3-1.jpg
((Renato's up.))

DJDeMiko
2009-02-19, 10:22 PM
Your maps been pulled, to much porn in it I reckon.

Working off the top of my head and without the map, renato will move 20 feet in such a way that leaves him with all 3 of the pirates on teh cap'n within 30 feet. Between his 60 feet of movement, base tumble of 17 and flight he shouldn't have to worry about attacks of op.

The first blast will be aimed at the most seemingly injured one and then to the other two.

combat stuff

Vitrolic blast with bouncing

attack 1 -
hit
[roll0]
damage
[roll1]

attack 2 -
hit
[roll2]
damage
25 damage

attack 3 -
hit
[roll3]
damage
25 damage

ALSO

All three guys I hit last time take
[roll4] acid damage from last rounds vitrolic blast.

ooc - im guessing that added applications of vitrolic blast dont stack and merely refresh the duration?

IE next round they won't take 4d6 instead of 2d6 even though I hit them twice with it, it just means that it will restart the 2 round duration.

Vox Clamantis
2009-02-19, 10:32 PM
((Huh. Re-uploaded and re-linked. Working now!))

((And you're right, the description of Vitriolic Blast states that they don't stack.))

DJDeMiko
2009-02-19, 10:39 PM
Clarification now that I can see the map

Renato will fly south east on the map and end up 20ish feet away from the capn.

Vox Clamantis
2009-02-24, 03:10 AM
Renato's blast hits three of the pirates who've swarmed around the captain, sending two of them to the clay floor screaming as the caustic liquid eats into their flesh.

Nearby, Annaliese finishes loading her pistol and aims at the remaining pirate near her father, apparently unconcerned about the trickiness of the shot. The ball flies so wide that none of you can even see where it impacted. Natural 1. :smallannoyed:

((Alluvial's up.))

Map:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c149/mrgabest/PirateLair-Round35.jpg

AmberVael
2009-02-24, 02:18 PM
Asuya

Seeing that her captain is being aided, and that the treacherous pirate is still at large, Asuya steps forwards and gestures at Garry, flinging two spheres of lightning and thunder at him.

Arcane Fusion. 1st level slot: Lesser Orb of Lightning.

Ranged touch: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] +1 sonic damage.
DC 22 save or be stunned for one round.

4th level slot: Orb of Lightning.

Ranged touch: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] +4 sonic damage.
DC 25 save or be stunned for one round.