PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]A kobold with an orc for a mount Ragnarok Online style?

newbDM
2009-01-22, 10:27 AM
So, my current character who is a Kobolds Ate My Baby styled kobold (my group calls them a subspecies named "dogbolds") joke character is currently on a little ego trip, due to both out-surviving the rest of the non-joke character party, and defeating/killing the half-orc bruiser PC last session who had been picking on him during the entire game.

During the trial over the "murder" in the town the PCs had a battle in, the judge semi-jokingly suggested that the little furball "become his own big-boss", after my PC used the fact that in kobold/dogbold society big creatures/bullies like the half-orc PC come in and take over all the time (leading to the kobolds either obeying, or getting the brutes when they don't suspect it like my PC did to the other one), and because my character has been forbidden to pull anything out of his backpack or anywhere else due to him having the Chicken Infested flaw from dragon magazine. This got the little hyperactive bugger thinking, and now he wants to be the "big-boss" of an orc (or similar creature). He wants it to be it's mount, as well as retrieve any items he needs, so not to PO the other by pulling out even more chickens while in the dungeon they need to restart.

I just reread the small entry for Humanoid-Shaped Mounts on p.91 of the Arms & Equipment Guide, but it does not say if this would work. It does have the ogre as a possible option, with both training/handle animal DCs and a market price for a young one (1,000gp). However, nothing for how this would work for an orc.

The dogbold/kobold is a small creature if that matters.

If anyone plays Ragnarok Online, you might know where I got the inspiration for this. There you can have an orc as a "pet", that follows you along in the game, which you need to feed, care for, and can buy items to decorate it.

Anyone have any ideas or advice for all this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Temotei
2009-01-24, 01:40 AM
I suppose it's up to the DM, really. He/she is allowed to do whatever he/she pleases, right? I think you could probably pull off the orc mount. Interesting concept, and I don't see why it wouldn't work, really. Or maybe if you aren't allowed by your DM, you could convince him/her to allow you to by selecting a feat, or by using a magic item/spell...although I have no idea if a magic item or spell applies to that. Or maybe just buy a very special saddle. :smallamused:

AslanCross
2009-01-24, 02:47 AM
I'm sure it's possible. Though it's a 3.0 book, Arms and Equipment Guide has some suggestions for using humanoid monsters as mounts. The example given was a goblin forcibly strapped to an ogre's back so he could act as a tail gunner with a crossbow. If the goblin's smart enough, he could probably manipulate the ogre into thinking the goblin's ideas were actually his.