PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Raise Dead Question

Crow
2009-01-22, 11:23 AM
Is there any way to regain the -2 Constitution a 1st-level character experiences from being raised from the dead?

Daefos
2009-01-22, 12:36 PM
If the subject is 1st level, it loses 2 points of Constitution instead (if this would reduce its Con to 0 or less, it can’t be raised). This level/HD loss or Constitution loss cannot be repaired by any means.

From the Raise Dead spell description. Unless your cleric has some third-party feat that I've never heard of, or your DM says otherwise, those points are gone.

Fax Celestis
2009-01-22, 12:39 PM
Try shelling out the extra cash for a true resurrection? Alternatively, gamble with reincarnate.

Glimbur
2009-01-22, 06:03 PM
Reincarnate also costs Con at first level.

Get Revenance'd and Revivified? Roll a new character? It's best to come from a large family for some campaigns, so your brother/sister can pick up where you left off.

Eldariel
2009-01-22, 06:05 PM
Well, the spell description for e.g. Raise Dead says that "this HD/Con loss cannot be repaired by any means". To be fair, I'd allow Wish and Miracle to work, but by the rules, nothing works. You'll have to use Revivify/True Resurrection to sidestep that.

Fax Celestis
2009-01-22, 06:08 PM
Reincarnate also costs Con at first level.

By "gamble" I meant, "try to pull a race with a higher racial Con mod than your current race."

Myou
2009-01-22, 06:14 PM
Well, the spell description for e.g. Raise Dead says that "this HD/Con loss cannot be repaired by any means". To be fair, I'd allow Wish and Miracle to work, but by the rules, nothing works. You'll have to use Revivify/True Resurrection to sidestep that.

I agree, it's a little cruel not to even allow Miracle/Wish to restore it, it's not like players can spam wishes at level 1.

Flickerdart
2009-01-22, 06:17 PM
I agree, it's a little cruel not to even allow Miracle/Wish to restore it, it's not like players can spam wishes at level 1.
You can use Wish/Miracle/Alter Reality to add yourself ability scores. It's 1/casting, I believe, but that or tomes is the only way.

Keld Denar
2009-01-22, 06:19 PM
Reincarnate Grey Elf into Dwarf results in

+2 Con, +2 In, -2 Cha

Hell yea for a caster! Try to find some way to rig the roll!

Myou
2009-01-22, 06:28 PM
You can use Wish/Miracle/Alter Reality to add yourself ability scores. It's 1/casting, I believe, but that or tomes is the only way.

That only gives an inherent bonus though (maximum +5) so it can't restore the lot Con.

MCerberus
2009-01-22, 06:31 PM
I believe that this was put in as a not so subtle way of saying "Make up a new character," and as such there isn't a workaround.

Myou
2009-01-22, 06:32 PM
I believe that this was put in as a not so subtle way of saying "Make up a new character," and as such there isn't a workaround.

After putting a lot of time and effort into a character it's pretty cruel to have to start over five minutes into the game.

Eldariel
2009-01-22, 06:37 PM
After putting a lot of time and effort into a character it's pretty cruel to have to start over five minutes into the game.

To be fair, this is why friends don't let friends start on level 1. Level 3 and the character deaths will be much more rare already.

Myou
2009-01-22, 07:07 PM
To be fair, this is why friends don't let friends start on level 1. Level 3 and the character deaths will be much more rare already.

Indeed, if there's no-one to true-res you (eg, a local temple) then starting at level one can be pretty tortuous.

Eldariel
2009-01-22, 07:22 PM
Indeed, if there's no-one to true-res you (eg, a local temple) then starting at level one can be pretty tortuous.

Very few local temples have level 17 Clerics. Very few of those that do can spare the 25000 to res you. So unless you actually have a divine patron of your own, say a Solar, True Res will be out of your hands until way high levels.

Myou
2009-01-22, 07:25 PM
Very few local temples have level 17 Clerics. Very few of those that do can spare the 25000 to res you. So unless you actually have a divine patron of your own, say a Solar, True Res will be out of your hands until way high levels.

Which is why dying at level 1 sucks so much. *Nod nod.*

Starbuck_II
2009-01-22, 08:09 PM
Reincarnate Grey Elf into Dwarf results in

+2 Con, +2 In, -2 Cha

Hell yea for a caster! Try to find some way to rig the roll!

More like +4 Con, but after taking in account the -2, it would end up:
+2 Con, + Int

Remember Reincarnate doesn't change mental bonus/penalties only physical penalties/bonuses.

Keld Denar
2009-01-22, 08:28 PM
Yea, I was talking about the end result, not the net difference.

PS, your turn mang!

Devils_Advocate
2009-01-22, 11:47 PM
Suggested houserule: A character who lost Constitution points to resurrection can spend 1000 XP to get 2 points of lost Con back.

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-23, 02:19 AM
I was thiking of houseruling that level 1 characters would get +1 LA until they reached level 2, but I like your idea as well, DA. Alternatively, you could allow Greater Restoration to work (I'm inclined to think the rules were designed like that to force you to roll up a new character considering how harsh it is).

tyckspoon
2009-01-23, 02:52 AM

Thus the fine old tradition of replacing character Bob with character Frank-who-is-suspiciously-similar-to-Bob. Low-level deaths, especially 1st level ones, are when that is most accepted; just scratch out the name, write in a new one, and sit out the party until the story hits a good point for the new guy to be introduced.

Crow
2009-01-23, 03:05 AM
Looks like I will just have to suck up the CON loss then. Thanks for all the replies. At least this represents an opportunity to work this traumatic experience into my character's personality.

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-23, 03:11 AM
How could you afford a Raise Dead at that level? Also, how did you get killed? Alternatively, you could ask the DM for a quest to get the Con back (perhaps if you fail the character's soul could be destroyed?)

Kaiyanwang
2009-01-23, 03:22 AM
Even if the spell says the constitution loss can't be restored, I think that Miracle or Wish can do it, because are spell trascending the normal rules, if DM allows it.

If you don't want to reroll (at first level, is the best thing to do - my players used the brother/sister thing too many times :smallsmile:) remember that yes, it's near impossible find a 17-level cleric at 1st level, and impossible find the money, but unless the consitution loss is too deadly, you ca simply WAIT.

One day, your powerful character will reach a level allowing to restore the loss.

If the DM allows it, anyway, he could meet a powerful entity able to restore the loss. More, is not mandatory that you know the exact nature of the entity in character, at least the first time. These things (dead PC and so on) can be annoying, but can be adventure and plot hooks, too.

And BTW, for what i said above, and because There is Nothing Like the First Level, friends let friends play 1st levels. There is nothing like be a commoner with some education (wizard), a city guard with some combat slkill (fighter) and so on.

Eldariel
2009-01-23, 04:30 AM
It's true that as has been said, it makes for a good level ~10 quest for your character. Something to do while the world isn't in acute need of saving. Some planar travel, meeting up with an extraplanar being of extreme power (I love having my PCs meet deities without knowing it - done it twice thus far), doing a service and getting your health back as a payment.

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-25, 02:31 AM
While I agree that a sub-quest to get the Con back would be a fun option, is there anything stopping you using the character in another game? (Ironically, this is why I'm not bothered about dying at level 1). Also, how did you get the funds for a Raise Dead spell at level 1?