PDA

View Full Version : Skins

LukeSimm
2009-01-22, 02:10 PM
New series of Skins tonight for people in the UK. Anyone else here looking forward to it? I'm quite curious as to what the cast they've put together will be like, and a bit bemused at how they are gonna put Effy in the spot light. I still remeber the first series where she didn't talk.

--- Luke

Jibar
2009-01-22, 03:17 PM
I'm hoping one of the twins turns out to be gay.
Because that would be hilarious.

Yeah, can't wait to see how it all works out. Still sad I missed the competition deadlines, but chances come and go.

Serpentine
2009-01-22, 11:00 PM
Great show. I like it much more than Shameless. Haven't seen very much of it, though, unfortunately.

LukeSimm
2009-01-23, 06:49 AM
Hmm, I didn't think the first eposide was that good. Maybe it was because it was just an introduction eposide, but still...

Pandora just annoyed me, and I felt it lost it touch without the eposide being centred around a character. I'm just hoping next eposide will carry on with that tradition.

Effy lit up every scene she was in though. Captivating.

--- Luke

Oregano
2009-01-24, 06:46 AM
Don't really like the new cast, especially not the guy who we're supposed to thinks cool(the one who pretended to be hit by Harry Enfield). or JJ, it's like wow, could you get any more stereotypical?

The twins aren't that annoying but they didn't really do anything but their little brother(or whoever he is) is a right weirdo.:smalleek:

Was some of this episode written by the people in the competition because it seemed a lot more juvenile than the first two series.

Kaelaroth
2009-01-24, 06:54 AM
*nodnod*
I very much enjoyed it, and, thankfully, wasn't put off by the cast change nearly as much as I thought I would be.
I like Emily, Effy, Naomi, Freddy, and Kieran. Not so sure about the others, yet.
I think Emily's going to be gay. As Jibar said, if not for the
blatant chemistry between her, Naomi, and Effy, but also for the clip they showed of her and Naomi riding bikes together in the sun.
And, yeah, Oregano, I thought the same about the juvenile state of it - but it was still good, as we must note that, in comparison to the second series, the first series of Skins was somewhat juvenile.
Looking forward to more.

Jibar
2009-01-24, 12:36 PM
And now having watched it proper, I think the new cast could shape up to be pretty cool. JJ is going to be a total Woobie, the good twin (God I'm crap with names) is so sweet, Effy is just plain delightful and Freddy could do well as the everyday nice guy.
Of course, this all depends on how later episodes pan out. This one, while not of a particularly high quality, was a good starter and a good introduction.

So, yeah, loving it.

(Someday I'll get an awesome Credit's name like "Teacher On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown)

Kaelaroth
2009-02-19, 06:10 PM
... Today's episode made me want to curl into a ball and cry. Admittedly, I was feeling pretty bad prior to watching it, but it helped.

madmotoristmonk
2009-02-19, 06:23 PM
I'm lucky to get the first season episodes "rarely" from bbc america here in the states. I discovered this show when the channel was promoting it through one of those succesive late night marathon things.

I've heard lots of complaints about this cook character, is he that bad?

I loved the first season so much i'm getting the dvd.

Shame on you UK for hiding this gem of teen drama, every time i watch it I'm reminded of how tame American television has become. *(HBO and Comedy Central don't count)

Kaelaroth
2009-02-19, 06:27 PM
Cook's horrible. Especially so tonight. He's evil incarnate. *shudders* But, yeah. This series started off being rather bad. And then jumped at the end of Pandora's episode straight onto the road of horribleness (but still excellent televisual entertainment) that series 2 evoked.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-02-19, 07:00 PM
Cookie you legend! Did not see that comming. I hope he does get off with Niome next episode

Oregano
2009-02-19, 07:14 PM
I don't like him but I think we're supposed to think he's a rebel and a genuine cool guy, I hope Thomas batters him when he finds out about Pandora and I hope Naomi doesn't sleep with him as well, he's probably spreading diseases.

Kaelaroth
2009-02-19, 07:17 PM
I don't like him but I think we're supposed to think he's a rebel and a genuine cool guy, I hope Thomas batters him when he finds out about Pandora and I hope Naomi doesn't sleep with him as well, he's probably spreading diseases.

I think he's spreading BABIES.
Think Panda might find a BABY. In herself, obviously. Not on the floor, or anything. That'd be different. And a bit odd.
E'en though a pregnancy storyline a pregnancy storyline has already been done, it'd still work, if written as well as they can write it, methinks.

madmotoristmonk
2009-02-19, 09:06 PM
Just saw a thing on youtube about the new cast, on the subject of Cook....does the term "douche" carry the same connatation over there?

Kaelaroth
2009-02-20, 07:28 AM
Just saw a thing on youtube about the new cast, on the subject of Cook....does the term "douche" carry the same connatation over there?

Yes, yes it does.

Oregano
2009-02-20, 08:58 AM
It's hard to believe he can actually chat up all the girls especially considering they say he's repulsive and everything(he is).

Kaelaroth
2009-02-20, 09:40 AM
It's hard to believe he can actually chat up all the girls especially considering they say he's repulsive and everything(he is).

Puissant and throbbing sexuality that we can't feel through our screens?

Oregano
2009-02-20, 01:07 PM
Either that or he's drugging them.

I do hope Johnny White or someone does him in, he's bang out of order and pretty much everyone puts up with it.

Kaelaroth
2009-02-20, 01:09 PM
I'm intrigued by how they're going to deal with him. I thought a nice way of getting rid of him would by having a bus smack him up.
But, hwait.
They did that already. And I'm thinking that perhaps an injury bridging the two series together would feel to derivative of the initial pair . . .

Jibar
2009-02-20, 01:26 PM
I get the feeling that this series' arc is sort of a Cook Hate focus. Every episode is gradually building up reasons for everyone to hate him, until he's ostracised from the group, or possibly killed by Johnny White. Some big confrontation with Freddy is also possible.

... Today's episode made me want to curl into a ball and cry. Admittedly, I was feeling pretty bad prior to watching it, but it helped.

Yeah. I was pretty much exactly the same.

Also, this show does not cease to amaze with the strength of its writing for a teen comedrama. Last week we had all the box jokes, this week the Hamlet analogy.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-02-20, 02:02 PM
Does JJ have a crush on Naomi? Just him thinking about her name backwards in the pub made me think so. Speaking of which, looks like it's their episodes next. It looks like Cook's gonna try and have it off with her, but she doesn't seem like the type of person to fall for it

Kaelaroth
2009-02-20, 02:05 PM
Does JJ have a crush on Naomi? Just him thinking about her name backwards in the pub made me think so. Speaking of which, looks like it's their episodes next. It looks like Cook's gonna try and have it off with her, but she doesn't seem like the type of person to fall for it

JJ's a boy. He fancies everything with breasticles. :smalltongue:
And judging from clips of next episode, I think there's a good chance that Naomi's going to be having relations of a possibly sexual nature with a great variety of folks. Definitely Emily and Cook, methinks, and possibly Freddie, Kieron, and Katie too.

Oregano
2009-02-20, 02:30 PM
I just have the strange feeling that the writers want us to like Cook. I can't explain it.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-02-20, 02:49 PM
JJ's a boy. He fancies everything with breasticles. :smalltongue:
And judging from clips of next episode, I think there's a good chance that Naomi's going to be having relations of a possibly sexual nature with a great variety of folks. Definitely Emily and Cook, methinks, and possibly Freddie, Kieron, and Katie too.

No JJ? :smallfrown:

Oregano
2009-02-20, 02:51 PM
No JJ? :smallfrown:

JJ's like Sid methinks, only one that's not getting any.:smalltongue:

madmotoristmonk
2009-02-20, 03:31 PM
Wait! Naomi? The pretty blonde one who's most likely to join the peace corps?
Sleeping with Cook........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-n-o-o-o-NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Needless to say, I'm quite pissed.

Kaelaroth
2009-02-20, 03:34 PM
That's her. In one of the trailers for next week, she seems to be having sex on a table with someone who resembles the fabled Cook(iemonster).

Mc. Lovin'
2009-02-20, 04:31 PM
Ty for the spoilers ^^ :smallyuk:

I just want JJ to get off with someone, and Katie's Gay, Emily's got a boyfriend (so's Panda), Effy? No. So that leaves Naomi

Oh, he did get off with that Ho though

madmotoristmonk
2009-02-21, 09:41 AM
Eh, I'm over it now. I think I'll give these kids a chance (cept Cook he sucks of course) they'll never be the first season cast and I'm quite tired of waiting for them to be.

Erstwhile we should start a pool on what'll happen, predictions and what-have-you.

Kaelaroth
2009-02-21, 11:35 AM
Well. Entirely prediction, so no spoilers.
I think Naomi's going to have misguided sex with Cook and/or Kieron, before falling back to Emily. Aaand I think the White gangstas will injure Cook.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-02-21, 02:20 PM
Yeah, you obviously aren't supposed to like the cookie monster, so he's gonna get his comeupance from either Naomi or Mcenzy Crook (Also a gangster having an eating contest? Come on)

I hope in JJ's episode he gets the courage to change to hanging out with Freddie, instead of Cook.

Kaelaroth
2009-02-21, 02:32 PM
Yeah, you obviously aren't supposed to like the cookie monster, so he's gonna get his comeupance from either Naomi or Mcenzy Crook (Also a gangster having an eating contest? Come on)
'twas meant to be funny, methinks. Skins does market itself as a teen dramedy, so laughs are meant to be had.

I hope in JJ's episode he gets the courage to change to hanging out with Freddie, instead of Cook.
I doubt it. The issue is that with Cook, Freddie's just a little more boring, and, without Freddie, Cook's just less restrained. Of course, Cook's dangerous, but just hanging out with Freddie might be a bit painful for JJ.

Oregano
2009-02-21, 02:37 PM
I think part of the point of Johnny White is that he keeps his word and he is a bit weird, like when he necked that boiling pot noodle.

I haven't like Cook since the first episode either, he's the type of guy that you'd end up battering. Well to be honest I don't he'd be doing English Lit at AS level, if he even got in college he'd be doing a vocational course.

Selrahc
2009-02-21, 02:50 PM
I haven't like Cook since the first episode either, he's the type of guy that you'd end up battering. Well to be honest I don't he'd be doing English Lit at AS level, if he even got in college he'd be doing a vocational course.

Because he's crude? People who are rude arrogant tossers don't get excluded from education. Generally there are less of them around when you get into sixth form, but I can say that even into university there will still be people like Cook around. Just because he isn't nice doesn't mean he isn't smart(Or at least smart enough to do well in A levels).

Kaelaroth
2009-02-21, 02:51 PM
Or at least smart enough to do well in A levels.

Or at least smart enough to pass GCSEs well enough to get into a state-run Sixth form college.

Jibar
2009-02-21, 02:56 PM
My group at 6th form has at least 1 heavy drug using rave club addict loose woman in it, too many sex addicts, an assortment of alcoholics and recreational drug users and God knows how many psychological disorders (hi there), plus a couple of drop outs now.
Yeah, I claim total moral high ground over all of them.
Trust me, Skins does not lie about its teenagers at any point, which is why it is a surprisingly realistic show.

And remember, I live in a rural area. These guys are city slickers.

Oregano
2009-02-21, 03:12 PM
It's not so much that he's not smart it's that he wouldn't have got in with his behaviour(and the vocational courses seem more likely to take on people like him, they did at my high school) and there's no one like that in my college.:smalleek: and I live in an inner-city rough area.

Kaelaroth
2009-02-21, 03:22 PM
There's no one like that in my college.:smalleek: and I live in an inner-city rough area.

Then I think your school may be the exception that proves the rule.

Oregano
2009-02-21, 03:25 PM
Then I think your school may be the exception that proves the rule.

Perhaps so because after that first day he would have been gone even if somehow made it in.

Kaelaroth
2009-03-05, 06:09 PM
On Naomi's episode:
Surprisingly touching. A lovely portrayal of budding romance, with confusion.
On JJ's episode:
... Wow. Wasn't quite so fond of how willing Emily was to ignore her sexuality, but loved how JJ's mental illness was portrayed. That sounds weird, but, yeah. He's adorable. :smallsmile: And the last scene was just lovely.

Kendrick
2009-03-06, 10:38 AM
I thought Emily was more experimenting, she's only young, and didn't she say she'd never had a boyfriend. I saw it as less ignoring her sexuality as trying to find out what she wanted while helping a good friend, it still didn't seem exactly right though.

As for the Cookie monster, he's from the same place as me, and he just seems like a more extreme version of the people I knew at school/college, maybe it's the accent but he doesn't annoy me half as much as he could.:smalltongue:

Mc. Lovin'
2009-03-06, 04:48 PM
I loooved JJ's episode, untill the very end when he had it off with Emily. It was still allright, I understand why she did it, but I think it was unneccesary. Also, it was nice to see JJ finally get involved in a fight! :smallbiggrin: Oh, and Katie showing she's not all that much of a ****, saving Emily from the Cookie monster and that

Oregano
2009-03-06, 04:54 PM
I think Thomas should have booted Cook in the head when he was walking past... what!?:smalltongue:

I don't think anyone liked the ending really, it's just as you said... unneccesary.

Kaelaroth
2009-03-12, 06:13 PM
Well. Effy's episode was brilliant.
And unexpected.

Oregano
2009-03-12, 06:50 PM
I loved the allusion to American Werewolf in London, doubt many people will get that.

Kaelaroth
2009-03-19, 06:31 PM
I loved the allusion to American Werewolf in London, doubt many people will get that.

I haven't seen it; but feel free to share?

And I loved Katie and Emily's episode. It must suck to play Katie, though. She doesn't get with anyone, has to wear nasty make-up, and is portraying a character whose redeeming features aren't remotely redeeming.