PDA

View Full Version : Vote Up A Campaign Setting: Discussion Thread II

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

afroakuma
2009-02-23, 01:26 PM
I noticed, and it looks good! I'll refrain from posting such inane commentary in the thread until you've had time to put your content in.

Lappy9000
2009-02-23, 09:22 PM
This thread makes my brain 'asplode. But in the good kinda way. The only bad thing is that I can't keep track of it all...:smalleek:

afroakuma
2009-02-23, 09:26 PM
If only there was some sort of overarching conspiracy to cohesively tie it all together and present it in a comprehensible, clean manner.

Lappy9000
2009-02-23, 10:26 PM
If only there was some sort of overarching conspiracy to cohesively tie it all together and present it in a comprehensible, clean manner.If wishes were fishes, I'd have a lot of salmon.

LucyHarris
2009-02-23, 10:36 PM
So, Afro, any luck on the video-finding front? Or still nada?

afroakuma
2009-02-23, 10:50 PM
Still nothing, and not for lack of trying.

First person to find me one wins the prize.

Lappy9000
2009-02-23, 10:55 PM
Still nothing, and not for lack of trying.

First person to find me one wins the prize.Naturally it's been said already, but I have a hard time keeping up with this. What are you looking for exactly? It'd be nice to give you guys a hand for once.

afroakuma
2009-02-23, 10:58 PM
That marvelous cliché, the pillar of darkness. Or clouds of darkness, or lightning of darkness... anything dark, obscuring, sudden and quite blatantly a show of pure, undiluted evil power.

Essentially "Over 9000!!!" but for Evil level instead of power level.

Thane of Fife
2009-02-23, 11:03 PM
Do you want a transformation, or just evilness?

Lappy9000
2009-02-23, 11:04 PM
Essentially "Over 9000!!!" but for Evil level instead of power level.What a stunningly appropiate analogy. I'll get to lookin'.

afroakuma
2009-02-23, 11:13 PM
Do you want a transformation, or just evilness?

A transformation would be lovely, but unnecessary. I'm trying to be less particular, since... well, since this has proven so difficult. :smallfrown:

Thane of Fife
2009-02-24, 12:03 AM
Can you really do any better than Jafar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZJtBtGa9Dw)?

Or Maleficent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8OHgTzsUZA)?

afroakuma
2009-02-24, 12:16 AM
Ideally, yes.

Lappy9000
2009-02-24, 12:41 AM
IF I FIND ONE MORE SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG AMV, SO HELP ME I WILL DESTROY THIS WORLD AND ALL OF IT'S PITIFUL INHABITANTS BY THE SHEER MIGHT OF MY UNDYING WRATH!!!:smallfurious:

*Ahem* Yeah, I fear such a thing is going to be really hard to come by, afro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKAJWH5wMBI). <--Aside to the ending from Shadow of the Colossus, that's the best I could find :smallannoyed:

Now, do you need a movie to inspire you, or will a picture do? Because pictures, I can find you.

afroakuma
2009-02-24, 12:58 AM
Get me a pic, then; at this point, it will work just as well.

And no, I don't need one to inspire me, it's just that I had that over 9000!!! clip for Lever #1...

Lappy9000
2009-02-24, 03:01 AM
Cripes, forum up went and died on me, thar.

Wow, I didn't realize how long you've been searching for this, Afro. Here's a pic that may wet your whistle a little: [linky (http://fc63.deviantart.com/fs9/i/2006/060/6/3/Bloody_Transformation_by_humida.jpg)]

Keep in mind that the image is a DeviantART Print, so there may be issues if you want to use it.

Well you did say Over 9,000. [linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp7q2kpCtbE)]

Skip to 0:50 in for maximum effect [Warning: Gore]. [linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbusUyeBb3k)]

Parasite Eve is a goldmine for this stuff [Warning: Gore] [linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNL8b6Sm3SE)] [linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8CtaYfJAqM)] [linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLh4cOLrsKs)] [linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9-57xdnkaI)]

Hopefully those help a bit. Although most of them are more "Mutation" than "Final Climactic Transformation"

Shadow_Elf
2009-02-25, 10:29 PM
Cure Moderate Loss of Interest!

There. I have rectified the problem. This thread no longer resides on Page 2.

Juhn
2009-02-25, 10:55 PM
I blame the derailing.

Also, my genie question still hasn't been answered.

Zeta Kai
2009-02-25, 10:56 PM
In order to get this thread back on track, & generate some discussion, here's another leak.

Shadow_Elf
2009-02-25, 10:57 PM
I blame the derailing.

Also, my genie question still hasn't been answered.

What did you ask? Maybe I can help (though I doubt it - I tend to get lost in all this fluff...)

afroakuma
2009-02-25, 10:58 PM
Um... that was the cleanest leak I've ever seen.

And Juhn - what was the genie question? Repost, please: I'm busy and lazy. :smallbiggrin: Possibly far more of one than the other...

Zeta Kai
2009-02-25, 11:02 PM
Karkadan
http://images.elfwood.com/art/l/a/lauralee/karkadann.jpg
Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 8d10+40 (84HP)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 80’ (16 squares)
Armor Class: 22 (-1 size, +4 Dex, +9 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+18
Attack: Gore +13 melee (2d6+6)
Full Attack: Gore +13 melee (2d6+6) & 2 Hooves +8 melee (1d8+6)
Space/Reach: 10’/10’
Special Attacks: Heave, Improved Grab, Trample 1d8+9
Special Qualities: Darkvision 90’, Immunity to Charm/Compulsion/Poison/Sleep, Low-Light Vision, Magical Beast traits, Spell-Like Abilities
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +10, Will +7
Abilities: Str 23 (+6), Dex 18 (+4), Con 21 (+5), Int 14 (+2), Wis 21 (+5), Cha 24 (+7)
Skills: Hide +10, Jump +12, Move Silently +10, Spot +11, Survival +13
Feats: Cleave, Great Cleave, Power Attack
Environment: warm plains (Siraaj)
Organization: solitary, pair, family (1d4 adults plus 2d6 noncombatant young), or herd (3d6+12 adults plus 6d6 noncombatant young)
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: half standard
Alignment: usually Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: 9-16HD (Large), 17-32HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: N/A

The wooly beast is the size of a small horse, but that is the only similarity. Its well-muscled frame is spotted with chitinous plates, & is shaped more like that of a great cat. Its long tail is thick & bushy, like a fox’s, with dark stripes, which are unlike the rest of its drab dusty-tan fur, & its bright blue eyes regard you with surprising wit. But its most striking feature is the long curved horn jutting out from the center of its mane-topped head.

The peoples who live in the savannas have many beasts to fear. Some regard the lion as the king of the animal world. Some argue that the crocodile or the hippopotamus are superior creatures. But the wisest & most wary know that the mighty Karkadan (KAR-kah-DAHN) truly rules the plains.

The karkadan, also known as the Wooly Unicorn (or Sarqai Miratul), is a fiercely territorial beast. They will defend their vast domains with fierce vigilance, even from rival herds, & they often kill trespassers to make their point clear. Although they can be reasoned with, they have few needs beyond what they already provide for themselves, so they are reluctant to make deals with those seeking safe passage through their lands. Compounding their unfriendly attitude is the fact that their horns are valued for their supposed healing properties, & some reckless adventurers actually attempt to hunt them for their horns.

A karkadan is about 9’-12’ long, about 4½’-6’ tall, & weighs around 700-1,000 pounds. They seldom converse with other beings, but they do speak Common, Archaic, & Draconic.

Combat
Karkadani are temperamental creatures, & they are intensely territorial. They will protect their domain & their fellow herd members with extreme prejudice. That said, they are not unreasonable beasts; they can be negotiated with, to a certain extent. In a skirmish, though, they are violent combatants, charging into battle & attempting to Gore or Trample anything that moves. They will usually Heave smaller opponents out of their way, saving their spell-like abilities (such as confusion & fear) for larger foes.

Heave (Ex): The karkadan can throw a grabbed opponent of Huge or smaller size into the air by making a successful grapple check; once thrown, the opponent takes 1d6 points of falling damage, plus an additional 1d6 points of damage for each size category smaller than Huge the opponent is (for example, a Medium-sized creature would be 2 categories smaller than Huge, & therefore would take 3d6 falling damage); this is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the karkadan must hit with a Gore attack; it can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity; if it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold & can Heave.

Trample (Ex): Attack bonus +13 melee, damage 1d8+9; Reflex save (DC20) for half damage; the save DC is Strength-based.

Magical Beast traits: All creatures with the Magical Beast type possess the following traits:

Darkvision out to 60’.
Proficient with its natural weapons only.
Proficient with no armor.
Magical Beasts eat, sleep, & breathe.

Spell-Like Abilities

At Will: detect magic, endure elements (DC18), flare (DC17), longstrider
3/Day: bear’s endurance (DC19), greater magic fang (DC20), see invisibility
1/Day: confusion (DC21), fear (DC21)
Caster level 9th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Karkadan Lore
Characters that have ranks in Knowledge (Arcana) can learn more about karkadani. When a character makes a successful skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DC’s.

DC20: “A mighty creature rules the sun-baked savannas with more strength than an entire pride of lions.” A character making this check recalls all magical beast traits.
DC25: “The powerful beast is called a karkadan, & it can stomp creatures into the ground with its great hooves.” A character making this check knows the workings of the Trample ability.
DC30: “Despite their wise natures, they are stubborn & dangerous, for they can fling their enemies into the air with their vicious horns.” A character making this check remembers the mechanics of Heave.
DC35: “They are also able to use magic to defend the lands that they claim.” A character making this check is familiar with a karkadan’s spell-like abilities.

Thane of Fife
2009-02-25, 11:31 PM
It seems like being wooly would be really inconvenient in the desert, and I'm curious why it's immune to charms and compulsions and such, but otherwise it looks like a solid monster.

afroakuma
2009-02-25, 11:40 PM
It seems like being wooly would be really inconvenient in the desert, and I'm curious why it's immune to charms and compulsions and such, but otherwise it looks like a solid monster.

They live in warm plains, not in the desert.

Its immunities derive from its supernatural stubbornness.

Thane of Fife
2009-02-25, 11:50 PM
They live in warm plains, not in the desert.

Its immunities derive from its supernatural stubbornness.

Warm plains, desert, whatever. Most animals from warm climates aren't what you would describe as 'wooly.'

And it's so stubborn that it's immune to poison? Or is that bit because of its horn?

afroakuma
2009-02-26, 12:04 AM
Warm plains, desert, whatever. Most animals from warm climates aren't what you would describe as 'wooly.'

And it's so stubborn that it's immune to poison? Or is that bit because of its horn?

Tell that to sheep on the Iberian peninsula.

And don't blame us... we got that out of myth.

And... yeah, let's blame the poison immunity on its horn.

LucyHarris
2009-02-26, 09:01 AM
Ooooh, yay! The middle-eastern unicorn! I was wondering if you guys had them in your campaign (would be silly not to, like an Asian-themed universe without a ki-rin).

And re: the horn--myth says it could both detect poison and cure it, as well as clearing out befouled water if dipped into it. So it's not unreasonable to think that the beast itself would be immune to poisons.

paddyfool
2009-02-26, 11:15 AM
Very nice beasty. However, I have one suggestion:

their horns are valued for their supposed healing properties

How about a low passing score on the knowledge check recollects this myth, and a high passing score makes the character aware that this is, in fact, just a myth (assuming it is)?

afroakuma
2009-02-26, 11:29 AM
But it isn't! :smallwink:

Siraaj is a world ruled by superstition and myth. It's only fair that most of these are utterly true.

Juhn
2009-02-26, 12:28 PM
And that is part of why I'm so very excited about this setting.

And here:

So... new stats and abilities you say? Same alignment? Different alignment? How do their cultures differ from efreeti culture? Djinni culture? Each other?

Thane of Fife
2009-02-26, 12:44 PM
Tell that to sheep on the Iberian peninsula.

If I lived on the Iberian Peninsula, I'd do just that.

And don't blame us... we got that out of myth.

Very well.

Siraaj is a world ruled by superstition and myth. It's only fair that most of these are utterly true.

I liked the way that you left it ambiguous as to whether it worked or not. That's good monster writing in my book.

And out of curiosity, what kinds of groups do they travel in? Are the groups mostly one gender, or mixed, or what? (i.e. Are they like elephants, or lionsm or...?)

And finally, if it's called the Wooly Unicorn, then I assume that the setting has regular Unicorns as well?

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-26, 12:49 PM
Any information about various organizations? What about the one I posted an idea for, WAAAAAY back?

afroakuma
2009-02-26, 12:55 PM
So... new stats and abilities you say?

I do!

Same alignment?

No, two different alignments, silly. No two genie races have the same alignment. :smallwink: Clearly, I am out to annoy you.

How do their cultures differ from efreeti culture? Djinni culture? Each other?

Nicely veiled way of saying, "Explain every single genie culture to me. Except Janni."

Nice try. :smallamused: Now I remember why your questions didn't get answered. Shenanigans!!!

If I lived on the Iberian Peninsula, I'd do just that.

What, it's hot there. And they have sheep there.

And out of curiosity, what kinds of groups do they travel in?

It says: solitary, pair, family (1d4 adults plus 2d6 noncombatant young), or herd (3d6+12 adults plus 6d6 noncombatant young)

Are the groups mostly one gender, or mixed, or what? (i.e. Are they like elephants, or lionsm or...?)

Mixed, clearly. Pair might not necessarily be mated pair, but it's likely.

And finally, if it's called the Wooly Unicorn, then I assume that the setting has regular Unicorns as well?

There might be one or two kicking around in some far corner. Speaking of kicking... ZETA...

Thane of Fife
2009-02-26, 01:13 PM
It says: solitary, pair, family (1d4 adults plus 2d6 noncombatant young), or herd (3d6+12 adults plus 6d6 noncombatant young)

Yeah, I noticed that bit, hence the next sentence.

Mixed, clearly. Pair might not necessarily be mated pair, but it's likely.

But it's not clearly:

The social lives of male and female elephants are very different. The females spend their entire lives in tightly knit family groups made up of mothers, daughters, sisters, and aunts. These groups are led by the eldest female, or matriarch. Adult males, on the other hand, live mostly solitary lives.

If the creature appears sometimes solitary and sometimes in herds, then it's not at all unreasonable to wonder if maybe the solitary ones are different than the others.

I don't know - just a thought.

afroakuma
2009-02-26, 01:19 PM
But it's not clearly:

Family and herd suggest mates. Children suggest both genders.

If the creature appears sometimes solitary and sometimes in herds, then it's not at all unreasonable to wonder if maybe the solitary ones are different than the others.

I don't know - just a thought.

I think you might be overthinking this.

Fine, they're like... whatever animal. Lion, let's say. Satisfied?

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-26, 01:47 PM
Any information about various organizations? What about the one I posted an idea for, WAAAAAY back?

Ahem....I hate this character limit BS

afroakuma
2009-02-26, 01:57 PM
Any information about various organizations?

Of what nature? Religious? Academic? Martial? Arcane? Illicit?

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-26, 02:03 PM
Acadmeic/Arcane/Illict, with an emphasis on field research. I'm especially interested in assasin's guilds, planar travellers, and nonstandard wizard's guilds.

afroakuma
2009-02-26, 02:16 PM
Acadmeic/Arcane/Illict, with an emphasis on field research.

Well, the Society of the Cartographers has already been mentioned in lore, so let's start there.

The Cartographers are four societies whose mission it is to map the great lands, indicating where "there be dragons," so to speak, as well as working to establish political boundaries and create a unified map of trade routes.

I'm especially interested in assasin's guilds

There are some, yes.

planar travellers

There are no organizations devoted to planar travel.

and nonstandard wizard's guilds.

There are none, not after what happened last time.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-26, 02:21 PM
You're telling me that wizards, who are by nature different from the rest of society and inclined to tell everyone to go screw their rules, don't have any secret guilds floating about?

vegetalss4
2009-02-26, 02:24 PM
ooh what happened last time? not that i expect you to answer the question, but it can't hurt to ask

afroakuma
2009-02-26, 02:31 PM
You're telling me that wizards, who are by nature different from the rest of society and inclined to tell everyone to go screw their rules, don't have any secret guilds floating about?

Why do I get the feeling that you're the one I had this debate with last time?

Sorcerers got their magic through blood. They probably have a family member or two to guide them, educate them and show them how to channel and direct their native power... but then again, they might have the kind of "family" where that's just not gonna happen. They might rely on one another, find each other by chance or through kin and support one another. Due to superstition, public fear and their own well-founded concerns about the kind of attention they attract, sorcerers aren't likely to reach out beyond that.

Wizards aren't trusted by anyone, including one another. They get their magic by delving into myth, superstition and history and coming back with shovelfuls of metaphorical filthy lucre. Wizardry is a lonely, academic profession, and few among them aren't looking for quick advancement at the expense of another. They may be different, but with that difference comes knowledge of certain truths of the world that set them back on their heels.

Juhn
2009-02-26, 02:32 PM
Nicely veiled way of saying, "Explain every single genie culture to me. Except Janni."

Nice try. :smallamused:

Who said anything about "veiled"? I was clearly going for "blatant". And you said to ask about genie culture, so I did. Now you're refusing to answer the questions you said to ask. :/

afroakuma
2009-02-26, 02:33 PM
Who said anything about "veiled"? I was clearly going for "blatant". And you said to ask about genie culture, so I did. Now you're refusing to answer the questions you said to ask. :/

To be fair, I was only trying to get people to stop asking about... something else.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-26, 02:36 PM
Alright then, how are the following classes treated/considered -

Spelltheif
Duskblade
Hexblade
Warlock
Warmage
Dragon Shaman

afroakuma
2009-02-26, 02:57 PM
Alright then, how are the following classes treated/considered

They're considered not part of the setting, but I doubt you're going to let me get away with that simple truth.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-26, 02:59 PM
Hell no I'm not. Wizards updated Grayhawk when these classes came out, you can pull some things out of your ass :p

afroakuma
2009-02-26, 03:05 PM
:smallsigh: Assuming they were in the setting,

Spellthieves have a deficient magical bloodline. Though some can supplement the abilities of family with their unusual predilection for arcane thievery, most end up being dabblers who never get the opportunity to practice their art, and multiclass out as soon as possible. A very few are trained by those who believe in and fear sorcerers to hunt and destroy them, essentially acting as specialized assassins.

Duskblades technically cannot exist, since there are no elves in the setting. Assuming they did, they would likely have inherited an Admajai weapon or piece of armor, and discovered themselves tapping into arcane prowess as a matter of course. Through studies of the ancient magic as well as practice of a warrior's rituals, they slowly gain an understanding of both the sword and spell.

Hexblades are often ghul-descended or have a heritage born from Najmah. Their powers emerge by accident, and soon develop to where the hexblade gains valuable control over them. The cursed nature of hexblades means that very few can remain in place long, and they must keep themselves hidden even more than sorcerers. As such, they become adept survivors and combatants.

Warlocks, similar to wizards, were not born with arcane power. Unlike wizards, however, they have not sought out ancient writings and relics, but rather made a pact with some magical being. Usually, the erratic powers that result are sufficient for both the warlock and his patron, but the bared power of magic that a warlock wields is likely to incite more panic than either wizards or sorcerers.

Warmages are very rare; war magic is pursued, in the main, by demons on Najmah. Those mortals who practice it delve into the quickest, shortest routes of study, developing shortcuts and ignoring the more complex learnings in favor of simple, rote study and pattern analysis. Though powerful and capable, warmages are even more fearful than wizards, as they eschew the subtleties and copy only the macroscopic details of a wizard's practices. As such, many are either cautious or outright envious, and tend to keep to themselves.

Dragon Shamans would of course mandate dragons be in the setting. Other than that, not much different than warlocks.

vegetalss4
2009-02-26, 04:18 PM
any chance you would answer my question?

for easiness of reference it where what happened last time the wizards joined together

afroakuma
2009-02-26, 04:33 PM
Meh. Nothing big. An entire empire may have been erased or something like that.

Now ask me something I'm more likely to answer. :smallamused:

Zeta Kai
2009-02-26, 06:06 PM
Dragon Shamans would of course mandate dragons be in the setting. Other than that, not much different than warlocks.

There are dragons in this settings, just not any that people are familiar with.

afroakuma
2009-02-26, 06:08 PM
Spoilerface. :smallyuk:

Zeta Kai
2009-02-26, 06:42 PM
Spoilerface. :smallyuk:

Well...

If you'd make a list what I can't/shouldn't say, it'd be much easier.
If we don't spoil anything, then there will be nothing to discuss.

afroakuma
2009-02-26, 07:12 PM
Well... If you'd make a list what I can't/shouldn't say, it'd be much easier.

1) Everything!!! :smallbiggrin:

Alright, I was just trying to bug Gareth for pestering me about other spellcasting classes.

LucyHarris
2009-02-26, 08:03 PM
There are dragons in this settings, just not any that people are familiar with.

Nice! While I love them, the dragons in the MM are all based off the basic European dragon model. And they're cool, but it's always nice to see something different (like the Lung dragons in Oriental Adventures).

afroakuma
2009-02-26, 08:09 PM
I have bad news for you then.

A) Zeta lied.

B) New dragons follow the same model.

LucyHarris
2009-02-26, 08:10 PM
Noooo! *throws a tantrum*

afroakuma
2009-02-26, 08:19 PM
*Catches it.*

Clearly, there is only one way to rectify this.

*goes off thinking*

LucyHarris
2009-02-26, 08:34 PM
Darn, that was my last tantrum for the day. Now I'll have to rest for 8 hours to regain my 2/Day Tantrum ability.

Clearly, there is only one way to rectify this.

*goes off thinking*

....ohhhhhh? *perks up*

Juhn
2009-02-26, 10:05 PM
To be fair, I was only trying to get people to stop asking about... something else.

I take your word as your bond, Mr. afroakuma. Now make with the goods. :smalltongue:

Also, I distinctly remember there being dragons. You indicated back in the voting thread that even if Dragons weren't voted on as the main threat, they'd be there. Much to my chagrin.

afroakuma
2009-02-26, 10:07 PM
What, you wanted Dungeons and No Dragons? Heresy

Thane of Fife
2009-02-26, 10:12 PM
What, you wanted Dungeons and No Dragons?

Dragons are actually terrible at this sort of thing. Even when they call a strike (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8LBpMuSTrQ), some of them insist on going to work anyway.
See how I made a pun off of Dragonstrike?

More seriously, when you say none that people are familiar with, I assume that you mean people in-setting?

afroakuma
2009-02-26, 10:19 PM
Your poor puns are simply heinous.

LucyHarris
2009-02-26, 10:28 PM
What, you wanted Dungeons and No Dragons?

This, on the other hand, is a GOOD pun. :smallwink: No, I'm not kissing up.

Thane of Fife
2009-02-26, 10:33 PM
Your poor puns are simply heinous.

You're right, that was terrible. And not in a good way.
But I will not rest, I will not sleep for an instant, until more people have watched that video!
I'll work on some better ones.

afroakuma
2009-02-26, 10:34 PM
No, I'm not kissing up.

Lies. :smallwink:

LucyHarris
2009-02-26, 11:10 PM
Slander! I swear, it was, uh, internet gremlins that put that there! Yeah, that's it...

paddyfool
2009-02-27, 03:07 AM
The old model of dragon is a classic, and I see nothing wrong whatsoever with a few more riffs on that theme. But if you want to create some genuinely novel Arabian mythic dragons... :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

.. well, I'm not quite sure how I feel about that.

:smallbiggrin:

Athaniar
2009-02-27, 06:46 AM
We already knew there were dragons, Ak-Khyriash II (as I named him) defeated one in the official story he appeared in.

vegetalss4
2009-02-27, 08:08 AM
do Genies eat different kinds of food than everyone else? if yes what kind?

Llama231
2009-02-27, 10:28 AM
It has come to my belief that Dandan is a salmon.

Back on topic now, can you tell us about the different types of genies?

LucyHarris
2009-02-27, 10:45 AM
!!! He said the dread word! *hits the alarm*

...but yeah, in all seriousness, I'm curious about zee genies. More specifically the Dao.

Zeta Kai
2009-02-27, 10:46 AM
do Genies eat different kinds of food than everyone else? if yes what kind?

Genies are extraplanar outsiders from Najmah, so they breathe, but do not need to eat or sleep (although they can do so if they wish) while on Siraaj. On their home plane, they are considered native outsiders, & thus must breathe, eat, & sleep. Their diet on Najmah consists of normal fare: mostly grains & vegetables, with meat & wine as occasional indulgences. Since genies are closely tied to their elemental composition, they sometimes develop a dietary affectation wherein they habitually consume material that is of a purer elemental composition (dao may chew dirt; marids may drink more water; efreeti may swallow burning coals). This may progress to a full-blown eating disorder in some genies, if allowed to continue unchecked.

Half-djinn are less prone to this condition, & is very rare in genasi.

Juhn
2009-02-27, 10:48 AM
That game mechanic translates very strangely. "I am not on my native plane, suddenly I do not require food!"

Zeta Kai
2009-02-27, 12:30 PM
That game mechanic translates very strangely. "I am not on my native plane, suddenly I do not require food!"

Take it up with WotC; that's RAW for Outsiders.

paddyfool
2009-02-27, 12:38 PM
Is there anything on Siraaj that has such particular value on Najmah that it particularly draw the acquisitive attention of the Genies, maybe to the point of inspiring trade and/or raiding? (Thinking anything from rare magical materials to basic foodstuffs/minerals to slave labour, since I can't really see genies wanting to do the kind of work that gets their hands dirty).

Juhn
2009-02-27, 12:39 PM
Hey, I wasn't blaming you. I just said that the game mechanic as it stands translates to in-game in a very strange manner.

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 12:47 PM
No questions while I can't answer!!!

Magnor Criol
2009-02-27, 12:51 PM

That's not really what would happen, though, is it? If you simply picked yourself up and traveled to another plane, you wouldn't become an outsider; you'd become a Human (Extraplanar). Whereas before, on the material plane, you were a Human (Native), though the (Native) template is dropped because it doesn't really have a value on the material plane.

Outsider simply refers to someone - or something - who come from some plane other than the material plane, directly or indirectly. Their very essence is made up of stuff not native to the material plane.

So genies are Outsiders (Extraplanar) when on Siraaj and Outsiders (Native) on Najmah. A human would be a Humanoid (Human, Native) on Siraaj and Humanoid (Human, Extraplanar) on Najmah. So I think by RAW genies wouldn't need to eat or sleep or such even on Siraaj, since they're Outsiders, not just (Extraplanar).

At least, that's how I understand the outsider, native, and extraplanar subtypes interacting by RAW. But there's no reason I couldn't be wrong, and no reason you can't treat genies however you want if I'm right.

(Sources - outsider type (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType), extraplanar subtype (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#extraplanarSubtype), native subtype (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#nativeSubtype))

Zeta Kai
2009-02-27, 02:26 PM
My understanding is that for non-outsiders, Native doesn't really count for creatures on their home plane. A creature of any type can gain the Extraplanar subtype if they leave their plane (transitive planes don't count for this, but our setting doesn't have any transitive planes, so that's not relevant). Since we're discussing genies/half-djinn/genasi, which are all outsiders, both Native & Extraplanar subtypes apply, just never at the same time, obviously. All of the monster entries for this setting specify in the Environment line exactly what plane a creature is native to; on the listed plane, the creature is considered Native (not Extraplanar), regardless of the listed subtype above.

And yes, it is kinda wierd that outsiders have different physiological needs on their home-plane than they do elsewhere. But outsiders are not normal creatures; they aren't like us Humanoids. They are not made of flesh, blood, & bone. They have more in common with elementals (especially pure-blooded genies), & therefore have unusual biological functions.

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 02:43 PM
slave labour, since I can't really see genies wanting to do the kind of work that gets their hands dirty

Actually, genie slave labor uses enslaved genies.

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-27, 02:46 PM
Hey Afro, more organizational questions:

Druidic Organizations - How are people interpreting oneness with nature in a world where the stereotypical forest-y things don't exist? What about the class feature(s) linked to the fey?

Academics - What is primarily studied? Is anyone studying exotic races/beings (the rare few fey, unique-seeming monsters, et cetera)?

Ancient Evil Survives - Or does it?

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 03:20 PM
Hey Afro, more organizational questions:

Druidic Organizations - How are people interpreting oneness with nature in a world where the stereotypical forest-y things don't exist?

There are still marshes and jungles, as well as those who devote themselves to savannah or desert areas. I call them "Masters of the Wastes."

What about the class feature(s) linked to the fey?

I count only the one, which will likely remain untouched. Screw you, druids. :smallamused:

Academics - What is primarily studied?

Alchemy, archaeology, textiles, agriculture, religion, craftsmanship, metallurgy, art, architecture, food science, mythology, apothecary...

Is anyone studying exotic races/beings (the rare few fey, unique-seeming monsters, et cetera)?

It's hard to make a thorough study of something when every single topic has to have its veracity questioned before the fact. A rare few document "real" mythical beasts and note their gleanings from encounters, but it's quite rare.

Ancient Evil Survives - Or does it?

I don't follow?

Lord_Gareth
2009-02-27, 03:27 PM
*Sigh* Ancient evil conspiracies, in the line of the Blood of Vol or the Republican Party.

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 03:37 PM
Not really, barring certain religions. The only real consistent evil plot has been for the demons to break through into Siraaj en masse.

And yes, there is a good reason that there are no long-running evil conspiracies. Apart from religious ones, of course.

Also, Llama: you're getting shot now, firstly for mentioning salmon yet again, and secondly for bringing up Dandan, who is entirely uninteresting.

For the sake of efficiency,

http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/cardart/AN/dandan_640.jpg

There. Dandan is a giant fish of comparable power to the tarrasque, who is utterly unimportant to the setting. He has no place in the overall story and doesn't interact in any meaningful way with anything. Exactly like the tarrasque. Now drop it.

Juhn
2009-02-27, 03:41 PM
Demons want to break through to Siraaj? Why? And do the genies care about this?

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 03:45 PM
Demons want to break through to Siraaj? Why?

Easy prey? Oodles of trapped genies who could be squeezed into doing their whims?

Also the standard D&D motives of demons, plus two that are specific to the setting, one of which I will quasi-reveal:

They don't get the same right that other inhabitants of Najmah do.

And do the genies care about this?

Of course they do, but they've got ghuls and mortal wizards to contend with.

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 03:56 PM
I'm in a generous mood: first reasonable question, on any topic, that I see here, I'll answer. Watch someone waste it on "what do you consider reasonable?"
:smallsmile:

Juhn
2009-02-27, 03:56 PM
Are the genies the authority/dominant race(s) in Najmah? I just realized I've been assuming this without confirmation.

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 03:57 PM
They are not. The genies largely departed Najmah ~400 years ago, explaining why half-genies and genasi are a fair portion of Siraaj's population.

Juhn
2009-02-27, 04:01 PM
They're mostly in Siraaj? That's news to me.

Which is the dominant race in Najmah now that the genies left?

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 04:05 PM
There is no "dominant race." The devas, devils and remaining dgenies have a dubious detente, while the demons defiantly develop designs against everyone.

Oh yes, and houris form the plurality of the population.

Since Juhn seems to have missed my offer, his questions don't count. Next one will, though.

Fax Celestis
2009-02-27, 04:27 PM
dgenies have a dubious detente, while the demons defiantly develop designs against everyone.

You mean "djinni". :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 04:29 PM
Of course I do. :smallwink:

Mercenary Pen
2009-02-27, 04:29 PM
You mean "djinni". :smalltongue:

Nope, I don't think he does... I suspect he was using genies as a catch-all term, but with minor modification for the purposes of alliteration.

Llama231
2009-02-27, 06:36 PM
http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/cardart/AN/dandan_640.jpg

There. Dandan is a giant fish of comparable power to the tarrasque, who is utterly unimportant to the setting. He has no place in the overall story and doesn't interact in any meaningful way with anything. Exactly like the tarrasque. Now drop it.

Dandan looks orange...

Szilard
2009-02-27, 07:33 PM
No it doesn't. It looks more like grayish-blue with black stripes.

Alteran
2009-02-27, 07:56 PM
I see some orange stripes around the face.

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 08:18 PM
Enough with the fish.

I picked the default image from the M:tG card of the same name. Nothing more.

:annoyed:

LucyHarris
2009-02-27, 08:44 PM
Yeeesh. Even I'm getting tired of it, and I wasn't here for the start of the whole s**mon mess.

Hmmm...I do recall someone bringing up Janni earlier, and one of the homebrewers saying they didn't have much on those? Did you guys come up with a place for them?

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 08:54 PM
Yes indeed. Turns out Zeta's been slipping them in while I was looking the other way. We're all good.

Since this seems to be consistently ignored:

I'm in a generous mood: first reasonable question, on any topic, that I see here, I'll answer. Watch someone waste it on "what do you consider reasonable?"

Vadin
2009-02-27, 09:04 PM
Yes indeed. Turns out Zeta's been slipping them in while I was looking the other way. We're all good.

Since this seems to be consistently ignored:

What is an average adventure in the setting like?

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 09:07 PM
:smallannoyed: How the censored should I know? I haven't run one yet!

...*sigh* explain what you mean, and I'll try to answer.

Vadin
2009-02-27, 09:11 PM
:smallannoyed: How the censored should I know? I haven't run one yet!

...*sigh* explain what you mean, and I'll try to answer.

What are common goals for low-, mid-, and high-level adventurers in the setting? What are some of the challenges each tier faces on a regular basis? How do these groups most commonly meet (in normal D&D, this would be "a tavern"- it might be that here, too)?

Zeta Kai
2009-02-27, 09:28 PM
How do these groups most commonly meet (in normal D&D, this would be "a tavern"- it might be that here, too)?

Now, that's a good question. Afro? :smallcool:

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 09:30 PM
What are common goals for low-, mid-, and high-level adventurers in the setting? What are some of the challenges each tier faces on a regular basis? How do these groups most commonly meet (in normal D&D, this would be "a tavern"- it might be that here, too)?

:smallannoyed:
Always with the longform questions whenever I offer...

Low
Basic goals; protect a trade caravan, catch a thief, defend an outpost, rescue slaves, hunt mundane predators, join a rescue party.

Basic challenges; mundane animals, minor exotic nuisances (div, peri), brigands, slavers, thieves, poisons, pit traps.

Medium
Advanced goals; hunt a mythical creature, seek an fabled remedy, smoke out a cultist of Maqur among the nobility, find a trapped genie, defeat an evil sorcerer, discover a secret paradise, delve into a forgotten ruin, push back the depradations of an invading enemy, slay a demon

Advanced challenges; mythic beasts (sphinx, roc, naga), genies, demons, clerics, wizards, enchantments, warlords, fanatic cults, evil races, shadowy organizations

High
Epic goals; slay a dragon, prevent a terrible ritual, engage in a sacred duel, trek across the Satha Laylanuha, infiltrate Martuakh's incursion force in Najmah, liberate a prisoner of Sergala, seek a Master of the Wastes, overthrow a Pharaoh, defeat a risen mummy lord, smite an archpriest, challenge a Djinn Lord, participate in the intrigues of the underwater Shahs, explore a mirage city, claim a djinn's ancient palace, descend into the Pit of Fates to protect an innocent soul, stop the revival of a centuries-old evil.

Epic challenges; sorcerers, high priests, fiends, demigods, dragons, ghuls, guardians, divine birds (homa, samadar), devas, genie lords, liches, pharaohs, assassins

As for how adventurers meet; usually on the job, whether joining a caravan or signing on for a hunt. Former soldiers going mercenary, devotees to the same temple on a sacred mission, creditors of an unscrupulous merchant dragged into affairs beyond their knowing... any number of ways.

Zeta Kai
2009-02-27, 09:44 PM
They often meet over a hookah. :smallwink:

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 09:48 PM
I was not going to say it. :smallsigh:

Vadin
2009-02-27, 09:54 PM
:smallannoyed:
Always with the longform questions whenever I offer...

FACT: You are a magical wish-granting djinn
FACT: Genies are tricky and will distort wishes
SOLUTION: Be very specific if they forget their job and ask for an explanation :smallbiggrin:

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 09:56 PM
FACT: You are a magical wish-granting genie (ala Robin Williams)

Oddly, I have in fact performed that song in Disneyworld. A man of many talents am I.

FACT: Genies are tricky and will distort wishes

Constantly, as the many I have thwarted shall attest to. Guilty as charged. :belkar:

SOLUTION: Be very specific if they forget their job and ask for an explanation :smallbiggrin:

Fine. Were you satisfied with your explanation?

Vadin
2009-02-27, 09:58 PM
Very much so. I'm sure those lists will entice other people to question all those other things you listed (secret goal...achieved!).

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 10:00 PM
No doubt. :smallsigh:

Alteran
2009-02-27, 10:11 PM
They often meet over a hookah. :smallwink:

If I hadn't recently read a book with that term, I would be quite confused right about now.

Llama231
2009-02-27, 10:23 PM
Satha Laylanuha?
Ghuls are epic? Ghuls>Genies?
No wizards, but lots of sorcerers?
Shahs?
Pit of Fates?
homa, samadar?

LucyHarris
2009-02-27, 10:26 PM

Cool! :smallsmile:

They often meet over a hookah.:smallwink:

In an Opium Den, right? :smallbiggrin:

I'm in a generous mood: first reasonable question, on any topic, that I see here, I'll answer. :smallsmile:

Hmmm...damn, I can't believe I'm drawing blanks. Urgh.

Oh, wait, I know!

Now, don't get mad, because I haven't been with this project from the beginning so I'm likely missing things...where do Rakshasa fit into all this?

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 10:33 PM
Satha Laylanuha?

Yes indeed.

Ghuls are epic? Ghuls>Genies?

The standard ghul is of a higher CR than any standard true genie.

No wizards, but lots of sorcerers?

Dramatic phrasing. There are both, I was simply selecting synonyms.

Shahs?

Look it up.

Pit of Fates?

One of the worst places on Siraaj to make an extended stay.

homa, samadar?

Divine birds. It says so.

Now, don't get mad, because I haven't been with this project from the beginning so I'm likely missing things...where do Rakshasa fit into all this?

Rakshasas, in the main, live on Najmah, where they are adversaries of the houris. Many have traveled to Siraaj. The unique thing about rakshasas is that they, out of all creatures, have the easiest time passing between planes.

LucyHarris
2009-02-27, 10:43 PM
Hmm....I wonder why the Rakshasas have an easier time?

Ohhh...considering the nature of magic in this setting, how is the Rakshasa's magical nature handled? How do people view them? (especially genies...I'm curious how these two powerful, otherworldly beings would view each other)

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 10:52 PM
Hmm....I wonder why the Rakshasas have an easier time?

They're certainly not telling. :smallcool:

Ohhh...considering the nature of magic in this setting, how is the Rakshasa's magical nature handled?

Most people have never even heard of them.

How do people view them? (especially genies...I'm curious how these two powerful, otherworldly beings would view each other)

Rakshasas view the genies as being large, squabbling cultures that could be their equals if they but developed some independence.

Genies view rakshasas as dangerous wielders of chaotic magic.

There are reasons genies left Najmah, you know.

Lappy9000
2009-02-27, 11:00 PM
The standard ghul is of a higher CR than any standard true genie.This comment terrifies me, somewhat (reflecting back to my previous wet-pantsness regarding the ghul pictures posted on the last thread)

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 11:01 PM
Ghul fights will be terrifying until you're close to their CR. Which is when you'll probably start seeing them with class levels.

LucyHarris
2009-02-27, 11:03 PM
They're certainly not telling. :smallcool:

DARN. :smalltongue:

Most people have never even heard of them.

Ahhh. I can imagine how some poor, regular Joe might react to seeing one of those things.

Rakshasas view the genies as being large, squabbling cultures that could be their equals if they but developed some independence.

Genies view rakshasas as dangerous wielders of chaotic magic.

There are reasons genies left Najmah, you know.

ORLY? So were there hostilities in the past? Did it ever actually break out into confrontation?

Lappy9000
2009-02-27, 11:05 PM
Ghul fights will be terrifying until you're close to their CR. Which is when you'll probably start seeing them with class levels.If you were seeking to assuage my terror then you have failed miserably :smallannoyed:

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 11:06 PM
No, the rakshasas are far too smart for that.

They just incited the feuds between the various genie races, enslaved the first tasked genies and retreated to malign debauchery for the next century or so.

Alteran
2009-02-27, 11:06 PM
If you were seeking to assuage my terror then you have failed miserably :smallannoyed:

Maybe they've taken levels in Healer!

Or, you know, Dread Necromancer? Probably something more like that.

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 11:07 PM
If you were seeking to assuage my terror then you have failed miserably :smallannoyed:

Yeah, cause, you know, that sounds like me. :smallamused:

Go play my Conjuring game. You know you want a terror of your very own. All it costs is the distillates of nine great evils. :smallsmile:

gabado
2009-02-27, 11:09 PM
:smalleek:....you could always try an Egyptian old kingdom game...where players tried to rob the tombs of the Pharaohs, it would be fun....

afroakuma
2009-02-27, 11:12 PM
I refer to this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105783) Conjuration. A dark prize to the victor! :smallamused:

Juhn
2009-02-28, 12:31 AM
If I had the time and resources to solve those, I would. Believe me. I want my Nightwalker.

Thane of Fife
2009-02-28, 12:45 AM
Are you still looking for evil clips, afroakuma?

The standard ghul is of a higher CR than any standard true genie.

And half-ghul are a no LA race? Or do they have some?

Zeta Kai
2009-02-28, 12:50 AM
And half-ghul are a no LA race? Or do they have some?

LA+2, just like the half-djinn.

vegetalss4
2009-02-28, 06:30 AM
about needing to eat on other planes and not on your own

Take it up with WotC; that's RAW for Outsiders.

actually it doesn't work that way, Native is a subtype that outsiders with a bond to the martial plane have, as an example tiefling have it, Devils do not. the only subtype that you get/lose when you shift from one plane to another is Extraplaner.

afroakuma
2009-02-28, 08:18 AM
Are you still looking for evil clips, afroakuma?

Always. :smallsmile:

Zeta Kai
2009-02-28, 09:28 AM
actually it doesn't work that way, Native is a subtype that outsiders with a bond to the martial plane have, as an example tiefling have it, Devils do not. the only subtype that you get/lose when you shift from one plane to another is Extraplaner.

Yeah, well, I like my interpretation better. :smallbiggrin:

vegetalss4
2009-02-28, 10:06 AM
well it certainly is funnier:smallbiggrin:

LucyHarris
2009-02-28, 01:57 PM
No, the rakshasas are far too smart for that.

They just incited the feuds between the various genie races, enslaved the first tasked genies and retreated to malign debauchery for the next century or so.

Niiiiiice. So, do they do subtle manipulation of things? Some puppet-mastery, perhaps? Look out, I think I found my pet "race" in the setting.

Juhn
2009-02-28, 02:44 PM
Well, he did just say that they managed to incite a feud between four other races. I'm assuming being able to do that without being found out and turned against would require some subtle manipulation.

Llama231
2009-03-01, 05:37 PM
Well, he did just say that they managed to incite a feud between four other races. I'm assuming being able to do that without being found out and turned against would require some subtle manipulation.

This^ would be interesting.
Me support.

afroakuma
2009-03-01, 05:55 PM
Er... there's nothing to support. It happened. :smallconfused:

Juhn
2009-03-01, 07:43 PM
So, then. More genie questions. Which genie races have which alignments? I know at least a couple of them were changed.

Also, how are Janni viewed/treated by the other four races?

afroakuma
2009-03-01, 08:15 PM
So, then. More genie questions.

Yay!

Which genie races have which alignments?

No.

Also, how are Janni viewed/treated by the other four races?

For the most part, janni stayed in Najmah, where they live with houris or as second-class citizens among the remaining genie cities. On Siraaj, it's a different story.

You see, janni didn't get bound like the other four races, which has engendered a suspicion in the rest. The Heed is the result of this suspicion, a contract between leaders of the four true races to give cautious respect to the janni while watching ever for a clue as to how they got out of it.

Dao still have a cultural trend to treat janni as inferiors, and this is barely restrained by the Heed, though they do defer to it when they feel they are skirting too close to the edge. Younger dao, and some leaders, take more readily to the Heed.

Djinni follow the Heed the most thinly, and are generally rather tolerant of janni.

Efreeti follow the terms to the letter, often making janni rather uncomfortable with the formality and open disquiet.

Marids are outwardly welcoming of the janni, and treat them as favored guests. However, they are the most wary and probing signatories to the Heed, since between the binding and the loss of one of their greatest factions, they have been the most injured since coming to Siraaj.

Intrigued?

LucyHarris
2009-03-01, 11:26 PM
Dao still have a cultural trend to treat janni as inferiors, and this is barely restrained by the Heed, though they do defer to it when they feel they are skirting too close to the edge. Younger dao, and some leaders, take more readily to the Heed.

Djinni follow the Heed the most thinly, and are generally rather tolerant of janni.

Efreeti follow the terms to the letter, often making janni rather uncomfortable with the formality and open disquiet.

Marids are outwardly welcoming of the janni, and treat them as favored guests. However, they are the most wary and probing signatories to the Heed, since between the binding and the loss of one of their greatest factions, they have been the most injured since coming to Siraaj.

Intrigued?

VERY intriguing! So, why do the different genie kinds treat them in such varied ways? Did the Janni do something great for the Marids, to make them so welcoming?

Oh, and a question I forgot when asking about Rakshasa--are there different races of them, like there is of genie? I wonder because I recall seeing Rakshasa that are not only tiger-headed, but also wolf and other animals. Is that so with this setting?

afroakuma
2009-03-01, 11:30 PM
VERY intriguing! So, why do the different genie kinds treat them in such varied ways? Did the Janni do something great for the Marids, to make them so welcoming?

The marids more than any of the other three want to figure out how the heck the janni escaped being bound, since they have taken the greatest hit to numbers and raw power since coming to Siraaj. They're nice to them because they have the most to gain.

Oh, and a question I forgot when asking about Rakshasa--are there different races of them, like there is of genie? I wonder because I recall seeing Rakshasa that are not only tiger-headed, but also wolf and other animals. Is that so with this setting?

One race only, though some tribes might resemble panthers or cheetahs. Tiger is still the default and most common.

Juhn
2009-03-01, 11:47 PM
I notice we've got a new term that's important enough to be capitalized.

afroakuma
2009-03-01, 11:52 PM
...your reaction to my impressive fluff spill is... underwhelming.

LucyHarris
2009-03-01, 11:56 PM
Awesome...this paints an interesting picture of genie politics, and social interaction.

And, ah, cool. I figured that even if Rakshasas were different races, they'd still have a catlike appearance.

afroakuma
2009-03-01, 11:57 PM
Glad you enjoy.

Juhn
2009-03-01, 11:59 PM
Well, it would have been longer, except I'm going to sleep in roughly now or so.

I just felt the need to point out that your answers caused further questions.

afroakuma
2009-03-02, 12:07 AM
Don't they always? :smallamused:

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-03-02, 01:49 AM
Which genie races have which alignments?
No.

This no here, is it "No, I´m not going to tell you the alignments of the genie races" or "No, genie races don´t particularly favour any alignments"?

afroakuma
2009-03-02, 08:14 AM
That no there is "No, I'm not discussing genie alignments in any way, shape or form."

These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Move along.

Lord_Gareth
2009-03-02, 08:24 AM
How do genies treat their distant descendants (the Genasi)? How are planar travellers generally recieved by the nations on the other plane? Do the genies worship anything/one?

afroakuma
2009-03-02, 11:29 AM
How do genies treat their distant descendants (the Genasi)?

What genasi? There aren't any genasi. What a strange notion.

How are planar travellers generally recieved by the nations on the other plane?

You and your planar traveling. How often do you actually think "traveling" takes place?

Do the genies worship anything/one?

Yes.

Lord_Gareth
2009-03-02, 12:38 PM
What Genasi, you say? Those would be the ones we voted into the setting - check your own first post. My question still stands.

Now - what do the genies most commonly worship? How do they generally treat religion (Western fanatacism? Japanese casual?) and religious people? How do genies view being summoned?

On the subject of planar travel - it doesn't have to happen often for there to be viewpoints on it. In the Bartemeus Trilogy, for example, only two humans ever travel to the other realm, and both are accorded respect and reverence by the denizens thereof who know what that means.

Juhn
2009-03-02, 12:53 PM
*cough* I believe he meant that genies refuse to acknowledge the existence of Genasi.

afroakuma
2009-03-02, 01:09 PM
What Genasi, you say? Those would be the ones we voted into the setting - check your own first post.

I assure you, there is no such thing as a genasi anywhere in this setting. there certainly cannot be, as they are not OGL and we are attempting to behave ourselves.

Now - what do the genies most commonly worship?

Aspects of Zihaja, of course. And a few other things you're not familiar with yet.

How do they generally treat religion (Western fanatacism? Japanese casual?)

Very casually for the aspects. They tend to be a little bit more serious about something else.

and religious people?

What, like missionaries? I don't follow what you're trying to get from me.

How do genies view being summoned?

It's pretty hard to summon a genie, since they can't be brought in via summon monster spells. As for the few spells that can bring them across the veil, well... the genies recognize stolen genie magic when they see it. People who try that stunt on them are treated slightly less harshly than djinn lords, unless the genie is paid very well for its services. Other genies might get a chuckle out of it, but the general opinion among the Najmah genies is that those spells need to be blotted out of existence.

On the subject of planar travel - it doesn't have to happen often for there to be viewpoints on it.

True, but here's what you seem to be ignoring:

On Najmah, a majority of the sentient population can change their shapes or otherwise use magic to disguise themselves. On Siraaj, anything mythical is always treated as just that.

In summary: I'm not going to answer that question. Select another one.

Lord_Gareth
2009-03-02, 01:17 PM
Well, how do they view human religion? For example, in the United States, people are often very respectful/nervous around priests and preachers, and one's religion colors a lot of social interaction.

afroakuma
2009-03-02, 01:19 PM
They share certain human religions; they're just less thorough than humans at the "religious" part. With a few exceptions..

I checked that first post, by the way, and I don't know what you're talking about. I don't see "genasi" anywhere.

Juhn
2009-03-02, 01:25 PM
I see what you did there.

Although, I did like the previous name better as it sounded like it could have evolved from the word "genie".

afroakuma
2009-03-02, 01:31 PM
So did I. Sadly, genasi are not OGL, so we had to rotate it.

On the bright side, each subrace now has its own unique name, derived from "Sabi." And since I know someone's going to ask, no, I don't know what they are. I deleted that PM. The only one I remember is masabi, for the descendants of marids.

Juhn
2009-03-02, 02:21 PM
...Rotate? You guys have a list, or something?

Lord_Gareth
2009-03-02, 02:24 PM
Okay, fine - how do the pureblood genies view the Sabi, who are barely (but quite noticeably) related to them?

afroakuma
2009-03-02, 02:56 PM
Okay, fine - how do the pureblood genies view the Sabi, who are barely (but quite noticeably) related to them?

They generally don't view them at all; most sabi reside in mortal lands.

Again, since you will refuse to let me get away with simple truths:

Dao view them as weaklings, largely unworthy of notice except where they clearly demonstrate their merit.

Djinni view them as curious byproducts of their tenure on Siraaj, and tend to patronize them.

Efreeti allow them into society, ignorant of their distilled bloodline.

Janni consider them much the same as mortals.

Marids view them as a completely separate race and treat them as such, though they are permitted into marid territories.

You didn't comment on the other arcane casting classes, by the way.

Lord_Gareth
2009-03-03, 07:57 AM
*Ponders*

(On the subject of the other arcane classes - you do know Warlocks are the descendants of people who made pacts, right? The person who made the pact to begin with got MUCH better crap than some class features and counterspell cheese.)

What genies are most inclined to have *ahem* relations */ahem* with mortals? Are genies inclined to keep said mortals around afterward?

Are there any permanent or semipermanent links to the other plane (a la Ravenloft)? Are locations that lead to the other plane considered 'haunted' or maybe 'cursed'? Is there a cow level?

afroakuma
2009-03-03, 08:10 AM
(On the subject of the other arcane classes - you do know Warlocks are the descendants of people who made pacts, right?

Meh. I've been staring into the 4E void too long.

What genies are most inclined to have *ahem* relations */ahem* with mortals?

Djinni.

Are genies inclined to keep said mortals around afterward?

Largely a personality thing. Djinni and marids, probably not that commonly. Efreeti would probably only mate with a mortal for love, so they will stay with a mortal for the remainder of his or her natural existence. And possibly a bit more than that...
Dao would have to really respect a mortal to engage in... so yes, the mortal would probably get to stick around.

Are there any permanent or semipermanent links to the other plane (a la Ravenloft)?

Yes.

Are locations that lead to the other plane considered 'haunted' or maybe 'cursed'?

Often, yes. Some are considered sacred, though.

Is there a cow level?

No.

Lord_Gareth
2009-03-03, 08:50 AM
Random NPC is a vain, pompous aristocrat with way too much money and a need to impress people with his power. What would he display to show that society his wealth and power?

Jane is researching supernatural creatures such as the wooly unicorn, the fey, and various genies. What sort of gifts does she bring to appease them, and what does she take to defend herself?

Small Town X has cornered a wizard. What do they do with him?

afroakuma
2009-03-03, 09:06 AM
Random NPC is a vain, pompous aristocrat with way too much money and a need to impress people with his power. What would he display to show that society his wealth and power?

No. Nothing involving wealth or currency.

Jane is researching supernatural creatures such as the wooly unicorn

You should be able to answer that yourself, seeing as how you were given the entry.

the fey

You're big on the wishful thinking, aren't you? To my knowledge, there is only one creature of the Fey type in the entire setting. And that one is new.

and various genies. What sort of gifts does she bring to appease them

Genies? Rare stuff. Riches. Jewels. Recovered genie lore.

and what does she take to defend herself?

An armed escort?

I'm not entirely certain what you're looking for, here. Are you looking for information that would be specific to a researcher?

Small Town X has cornered a wizard. What do they do with him?

Well that depends on his spell selection, doesn't it? :smallamused:

*shrug* There's no mandatory answer. But you just want to see me make a few up, don't you?

Lord_Gareth
2009-03-03, 09:12 AM
Bah. I demand Ruin Chanters, damnit!

The Researcher Question: I'm just looking for what the 'average' field researcher lugs about with them when they're looking for supernatural beings - y'know, kinda like how the average adventurer has a ranged weapon, a slashing weapon, a club, some form of fire, and rope.

The Noble: I was actually thinking of the displays - think the Prince Ali sequence from Aladdin.

Small Town X: Just wanna know what happens to wizards stupid enough to get caught.

afroakuma
2009-03-03, 09:27 AM
Bah. I demand Ruin Chanters, damnit!

Wasn't it you who said they'd impose a problem on our cosmology? Way to bat for your team, champ.

The Researcher Question: I'm just looking for what the 'average' field researcher lugs about with them when they're looking for supernatural beings

A team, for starters. Journal, of course. And whatever Myth X says about what she should bring. Other than that, it wouldn't be too much different than scientists in our own time searching deep corners of the wild for new species.

The Noble: I was actually thinking of the displays - think the Prince Ali sequence from Aladdin.

*shrug* so go with that. Less the balloons and the blatant sorcery, of course. I really have no comment.

Small Town X: Just wanna know what happens to wizards stupid enough to get caught.

I assume this is a fairly superstitious town? Death or dismemberment.

Lord_Gareth
2009-03-03, 10:32 AM
Ruin Chanters can't mess with cosmology; they're fey who are attached to ancient ruins as their guardians and caretakers. You've got 'em confused with something else.

Are societies divided racially? If so, are there any that are more cosmopolitan? How do you plan on adapting certain classes/templates that don't quite fit the cosmology (alienist, for example)?

How many moons does the world/each plane have? What kind of legends are associated with mirrors?

afroakuma
2009-03-03, 10:44 AM
Ruin Chanters can't mess with cosmology; they're fey who are attached to ancient ruins as their guardians and caretakers. You've got 'em confused with something else.

Ah. Yes, I am thinking of some other Ruin thing. At any rate, we're ignoring everything except the MM1 as far as inclusion and exclusion, but we'll post guidelines.

Are societies divided racially?

Hmm? Explain.

How do you plan on adapting certain classes/templates that don't quite fit the cosmology (alienist, for example)?

Very rapidly! :smallbiggrin: In this fashion, to be exact. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6ma15o_E1s&feature=related)

How many moons does the world/each plane have?

For the ten thousandth time, they each have one and they share another one.

Lord_Gareth
2009-03-03, 10:48 AM
Well, in some settings each race has more or less their own nation, except the humans (as the whores of the universe, we let anything with legs join our society). That is to say, Nation A is "human", then Nation B is elf-exclusive, Nation C is dwarven, et cetera. How do societies/nations integrate different races in this setting?

Still waiting on the mirror question.

afroakuma
2009-03-03, 11:05 AM
Well, in some settings each race has more or less their own nation, except the humans (as the whores of the universe, we let anything with legs join our society). That is to say, Nation A is "human", then Nation B is elf-exclusive, Nation C is dwarven, et cetera. How do societies/nations integrate different races in this setting?

There are only three largely race-centric city states. Rasalhague, Rasaljathi and Naraldikh.

Rasalhague is a lizardfolk city state and the heart of their quasi-nation. It does incorporate other races, but runs on the lizardfolk social, political and judicial systems. The major religion (which most peoples in the region subscribe to anyway) is the worship of Pashati.

Rasaljathi is a little more strict, being a lizardfolk city state with very human political and judicial systems. Here the societies are less integrated, and members of other races need permission to access certain areas and privileges. The major religion is Sidaru.

Naraldikh is a gnoll city state, but it's a sprawling, open affair. Gnoll culture isn't even very dominant, save that from a historical and population basis, gnolls tend to be the civic leaders and so the culture tends to swing that way.

Other than that, life between the four mundane races is actually fairly well integrated. The kobolds have a history that simply puts them in that role, the lizardfolk integrate themselves like the classic portrayals of immigrants and the sociable gnolls tend to fit society the way mortar fits bricks. As an example, a visitor to Naranj from the far east would be more likely to be mocked as a "sandman" than a gnoll from the area would be.

Now, there are some city-states where this isn't the case. There are places where kobolds are treated like alley rats. There are places where humans are treated like wastrel peddlers. There are places where lizardfolk are excluded due to their musk. There is one city-state that is highly racist, which still participates in the slave trade.

Lord_Gareth
2009-03-03, 11:37 AM
I can't access Youtube, for future reference.

War - good gods ya'll, what major ones have happened recently in the setting? How is war fought ("modern" war with divine magic in place of technology, or more high-fantasy fare?)

afroakuma
2009-03-03, 11:52 AM
I can't access Youtube, for future reference.

Tsk. And after all that effort finding the right clip.

Fine, I'll respond the old fashioned way. :smallyuk:

For prestige classes that would require elements not present in our cosmology (you gave alienist as an example): They don't exist. Jettisoned. Abandoned. Cast into the abyss. Sorry, no alienist for you.

War - good gods ya'll, what major ones have happened recently in the setting?

Recently? None on Siraaj. They've been a bit busy.

On Najmah, there was one ~350 years ago. The Event, as it is now referred to, was a major conflict that resulted from the genies going to Siraaj. It is not discussed among the devas, and the devils only bring it up when necessary, as it is not considered polite.

How is war fought ("modern" war with divine magic in place of technology, or more high-fantasy fare?)

Divine magic above 2nd or 3rd level rarely plays a role. Normally it's warriors and fighters, with a sprinkling of paladins and battle clerics. Occasionally one side or the other will contract a sorcerer for aid... in these instances, one of two things happens:

1) One spell dissuades the attackers or forces the surrender of the defenders.

2) Arcane magic causes escalation that ends with a mages' duel, the fleeing of the weaker party or the retreat of both casters if their is enough mutual fear or respect.

Fax Celestis
2009-03-05, 06:03 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaafro, can I spooooooooil something? :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2009-03-05, 06:10 PM
Sure, Fax! What would you like to spoil? :smallbiggrin:

Fax Celestis
2009-03-05, 06:22 PM
...the d20r Half-Ghul or Half-Djinn. Your call as to which.

afroakuma
2009-03-05, 06:29 PM
I liked half-ghul better. Go with that.

Although I think your stating that itself constitutes a bit of a leak... :smallwink:

Magnor Criol
2009-03-05, 06:36 PM
Damn, I was hoping you'd say half-djinn.

afroakuma
2009-03-05, 06:39 PM
Why? :smallconfused:

Fax Celestis
2009-03-05, 06:42 PM
d20r: Half-Ghul
Half-ghul males range in height from 5’7” to 7’5”, & in weight from 184 lbs to 468 lbs. Half-ghul females range in height from 4’7” to 6’5”, & in weight from 129 lbs to 413 lbs. Half-ghul speak Ghul & Common.

No Stat Adjustments: Half-ghul do not receive stat adjustments without taking levels in their racial class.
Medium: As medium creatures, half-ghul do not receive any special bonuses based on size.
Speed: A half-ghul's base land speed is 30 feet.
Native: Half-ghul are creatures of the Outsider type with the (Native) subtype. As such, half-ghul are not subject to spells or effects that affect humanoids only (such as charm person or dominate person). They can, however, be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be, and they need to eat and sleep.
Ghul Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-ghul is considered a ghul.
Elemental Resistance: A half-ghul is resistant to fire and cold damage: they ignore the first 2 points of damage from those types each round.
Natural Magic: A half-ghul has a small pool of magical charges they may tap into daily. A half-ghul has one charge per three class levels, minimum one. A charge may be spent to activate one of the following spell-like abilities or to power a feat with the [Half-Ghul] descriptor: detect magic, obscuring mist. Caster level equals the half-ghul's class levels.
Automatic Languages: Common, Ghul. Bonus Languages: Archaic and Gnoll.
Favored Class: Sorceror.

{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special | Spellweaving
1st | +1 | +1 | +1 | +1 | Stat Increase, Improved Elemental Resistance | -
2nd | +2 | +1 | +1 | +1 | Stat Increase, Improved Natural Magic | +1 level of existing class
3rd | +3 | +2 | +2 | +2 | Stat Increase, Natural Spellweaving | +1 level of existing class[/table]

HD: d8

Skills: 4+Int, 1 set

Prowess: 4 per level

Proficiencies: Half-ghul are proficient with simple and martial weapons. Half-ghul gain no proficiencies with armor or shields.

Stat Increase: At first level, a half-ghul permanently increases their Strength by two. At second level, a half-ghul permanently increases their Constitution and Charisma by two. At third level, a half-ghul again permanently increases their Strength by two (for a total of +4).

Improved Elemental Resistance (Su): A half-ghul adds his levels in this racial class to the amount of energy resistance provided by his Elemental Resistance racial feature.

Spellweaving: At second and third levels, a half-ghul gains new seeds known and augments his spellweaving class feature as if he had also gained a level in whatever spellweaving class he belonged to before he added the racial class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that he adds the level of half-ghul to the level of whatever other spellweaving class the character has, then determines seeds known accordingly.

If a character had more than one spellweaving class before he took the level of half-ghul he must decide to which class he adds each level of half-ghul for the purpose of determining seeds known and the power of his spellweaving class feature.

Improved Natural Magic: At second level, a half-ghul adds the following spells to the list of spell-like abilities he may cast using his Natural Magic racial feature: darkness, gust of wind. The half-ghul also gains one additional natural magic charge per day.

Natural Spellweaving (Su): At third level, a half-ghul gains the ability to augment their spellweaving (if they have it) with their natural magic. By expending a natural magic charge when activating their spellweaving class feature, a half-ghul gains an additional number of Spellweave Points equal to their Constitution modifier.

Magnor Criol
2009-03-05, 06:52 PM
Why? :smallconfused:

I'm more interested in half-djinn than half-ghul. Not that half-ghul's bad, I'm quite interested in the ghuls in general, since I know almost nothing about them as creatures...but half-djinn incite my curiosity more. For some reason. =p

Looks good (as ever), Fax. I like it. And now I'm curious about this spellweaving stuff. Have we seen that somewhere before, or is that a new (and tantalizing) spoiler?

Fax Celestis
2009-03-05, 06:56 PM
Looks good (as ever), Fax. I like it. And now I'm curious about this spellweaving stuff. Have we seen that somewhere before, or is that a new (and tantalizing) spoiler?

Sorcerors use spellweaving.

LordZarth
2009-03-05, 08:08 PM
Wait... is d20r being supported?

Break
2009-03-05, 08:17 PM
Wait... is d20r being supported?

This looks like a job for Fax! Quickly, activate the Fax signal!

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7210/faxsymbolcopy.png

Fax Celestis
2009-03-05, 08:19 PM
Dana-nana-nana-nana dana-nana-nana-nana FAAAAXMAAAAN

Yup, d20r is being supported. Surprise! :smallbiggrin:

Thane of Fife
2009-03-05, 08:19 PM
Pardon me if this has been explained before and I've forgotten it, but is one of the reasons why magic is distrusted because Ghuls are apparently good at it?

afroakuma
2009-03-05, 08:26 PM
No, it's because everything that's more powerful than you use it. Natively. It's what they're known for.

More to the point, it's because a lot of bad people seek it out to do and do bad things with it.

And also because most superstitions are true. Like the one where your children were playing with two sticks at night and were never seen again. Or the one where your husband became weak as a kitten after crossing the doorstep of a black-haired virgin. Or the one where the local lothario's skin burned to a crisp as blood cascaded from his mouth and nostrils - in broad daylight - and a mark of fangs appeared on his neck.

Magic is frankly terrifying in this setting.

Also: yes, we're supporting d20r. Yay for partnerships! :smallsmile:

Zeta Kai
2009-03-05, 08:45 PM
Yes, my children, afroakuma, Fax Celestis, Shadow_Elf, & myslef have formed a dark alliance. Our POWER has increased tenfold.

You are all doomed.
:amused:

afroakuma
2009-03-05, 08:54 PM
I sense presumptions regarding the equal distribution of POWER in this arrangement. :smallannoyed:

Back to your cavern, slave!

Shadow_Elf
2009-03-05, 08:56 PM
I sense presumptions regarding the equal distribution of POWER in this arrangement. :smallannoyed:

Back to your cavern, slave!

No! Our combined POWER will be enough to overthrow y-

... yes afroakuma...

Lappy9000
2009-03-05, 09:04 PM
Yes, my children, afroakuma, Fax Celestis, Shadow_Elf, & myslef have formed a dark alliance. Our POWER has increased tenfold.

You are all doomed.
:amused:Meh. I've seen doomier.

Juhn
2009-03-05, 09:20 PM
This project is gonna be even more epic than previously thought.

I cannot wait for the release - but now I am thinking it is most certainly not being released before the completion of d20r, and this is somewhat disheartening.

afroakuma
2009-03-05, 09:37 PM
but now I am thinking it is most certainly not being released before the completion of d20r.

Lies. Deceit. Slander.

Lappy9000
2009-03-05, 10:07 PM
Lies. Deceit. Slander.Only if I beat you to it :smallamused: Gwahar!

paddyfool
2009-03-06, 07:56 AM
I like the half-ghul. I'm curious about the spells they get - obscuring mist and gust of wind in particular, since they suggest an aspect of these creatures I hadn't previously guessed at/noticed - some kind of dark & warped link to nature, perhaps in a wicked witch kind of way. It'll be interesting to see the full skinny on ghuls themselves. Also, that size range is bordering on Powerful Build territory - are Ghuls themselves Large, perchance?

Lord_Gareth
2009-03-06, 08:02 AM
I would like to point out at this juncture the hilarity that Fax Celestis is in on this; he has, after all, invented D20R, a self-proclaimed 4e replacement. Y'hear that? That's the sound of a million 3.5 players laughing their asses off.

Juhn
2009-03-06, 11:19 AM
I thought it was intended as an alternative, not a replacement.

afroakuma
2009-03-06, 11:45 AM
Correct. It's essentially a third edition.

Lord_Gareth
2009-03-06, 12:31 PM
Okay, but I am still laughing my ass off.

Magnor Criol
2009-03-06, 12:58 PM
Sorcerors use spellweaving.

Somehow your creation of d20r sorcerers completely eluded my notice. Damn.

Also: Totally not surprised (but no less happy) that d20r and VUACS have intertwined. I actually had a feeling that at the very least you'd include hardwired support for d20r conversion, if not wholesale integration.

(Fax, afro, Shadow, and Zeta...Now let's just see about getting Vorpal and Demented One in here and we can have some sort of ungodly perfection in DnD form.)

afroakuma
2009-03-06, 01:04 PM
We'd still need Krimm. :smallsmile:

LucyHarris
2009-03-06, 01:16 PM
*Grumbles about unreliable internet connections cutting her off from posting*

Anywho, I'm still here, and still intrigued by the setting. Love what I've seen so far of the genies.

And, I recalled something I didn't ask in regards to Rakshasa: what is their religious outlook? Are they especially pious, not so, indifferent? What do they most commonly worship?

afroakuma
2009-03-06, 01:51 PM
Rakshasa worship nothing. They acknowledge the divine beings they are aware of, but have no reverence for any of them. They would love to cast down Zaia, because they think great things await beyond the boundaries of the world, but they're realistic enough to get that that won't happen.

LucyHarris
2009-03-06, 02:24 PM
Awshum. For some reason this makes me like them even more.

Juhn
2009-03-06, 03:21 PM
Zaia? Do we have an inclusive name for the two planes now?

afroakuma
2009-03-06, 03:26 PM
We do, yes - and that's not it.

Kamala is the twin planes' collective name.

Lord_Gareth
2009-03-06, 03:29 PM
Do genies commonly (or at least in common knowledge) enter into arrangements with mortals that can include their summoning? A prime example would be the genie that worked with Halaster in Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark; three times a day, Halaster (or someone else) could rub a lamp to summon the genie. If he liked the person doing the rubbing, he'd offer to barter with them, or just converse with them. If not, tough sh*t.

afroakuma
2009-03-06, 03:35 PM
Do genies commonly (or at least in common knowledge) enter into arrangements with mortals that can include their summoning?

No. ..........................

Lord_Gareth
2009-03-06, 03:38 PM
What about the summoning of the mortal? :p

How do genies (generally) get on with fiends? How about with celestials? Do genies consider the two groups to be societies of their own, or are the Outsider nations more cosmopolitan?

afroakuma
2009-03-06, 03:46 PM
What about the summoning of the mortal? :p

No.

How do genies (generally) get on with fiends?

That entirely depends which race of genie and which race of fiend.

How about with celestials?

See above.

Do genies consider the two groups to be societies of their own, or are the Outsider nations more cosmopolitan?

The deva nation is the most cosmopolitan; even stray mortals pop up from time to time.

The demon nation is the least cosmopolitan. Inasmuch as it could be called a "society," yes, the genies (and everyone else) consider it to be insular and unique.

paddyfool
2009-03-06, 04:41 PM
Any replies to my earlier suppositions on Ghuls?

afroakuma
2009-03-06, 05:02 PM
I like the half-ghul. I'm curious about the spells they get - obscuring mist and gust of wind in particular, since they suggest an aspect of these creatures I hadn't previously guessed at/noticed - some kind of dark & warped link to nature, perhaps in a wicked witch kind of way.

Nope.

It'll be interesting to see the full skinny on ghuls themselves. Also, that size range is bordering on Powerful Build territory - are Ghuls themselves Large, perchance?

I do not have that information available.

Zeta Kai
2009-03-06, 06:08 PM
Also, that size range is bordering on Powerful Build territory - are Ghuls themselves Large, perchance?

Yes, the Ghuls are Large. Large, Evil, & CR12. You puny humans are screwed.

Juhn
2009-03-06, 10:23 PM
Puny humans? The existence of three part-human races would indicate that there are enough non-puny humans to make up for this.

afroakuma
2009-03-06, 10:26 PM
*shrug* Things can change. Rapidly. There were very nearly no humans left at all.

Juhn
2009-03-06, 10:36 PM
No humans left?

What?

afroakuma
2009-03-06, 10:41 PM
Huh? What? Of course there are humans left.

Juhn
2009-03-06, 10:49 PM
Sorry, "very nearly" no humans left.

And now I wait for you to edit out that white text and deny any knowledge of it.

afroakuma
2009-03-06, 10:55 PM
What on Earth are you talking about? 50% of Siraaj's anthropomorphic sentient mortals are humans.

Juhn
2009-03-06, 11:00 PM
I notice the white text is gone now.

Shame I never bothered quoting it.

afroakuma
2009-03-06, 11:02 PM
I notice the white text is gone now.

Shame I never bothered quoting it.

I notice you don't bother checking your facts, pal.

I never touched it. You just guessed I'd pull a stunt.

Juhn
2009-03-06, 11:16 PM
Oh, sorry, apparently that was just my Firefox being screwy and refusing to highlight things again. I tell you, it makes wasting hours on TVTropes significantly more aggravating when you have to try highlighting spoilers five or six times before it actually works.

Would you happen to know offhand where I could find the original teaser released for this setting? I'm attempting to explain HoZ to someone and I figure that'd probably help. I'm currently trawling through the last two threads with little success.

There. Right thread this time.

afroakuma
2009-03-06, 11:17 PM
Page 40, original thread.

Zeta removed the original pic, though.

Zeta Kai
2009-03-07, 12:04 AM
Page 40, original thread.

Zeta removed the original pic, though.

I put the pic back. You're all welcome.

Juhn
2009-03-07, 12:06 AM
Well, it does look more impressive that way.

Lord_Gareth
2009-03-09, 01:24 PM
How do genies generally interact with their half-mortal descendants? How are the various types normally seen from a mortal point of view (i.e. is one reputed as kind, or maybe one is just more feared than the others, etc etc)?

afroakuma
2009-03-09, 01:29 PM
How do genies generally interact with their half-mortal descendants?

Someone's got a fixation, I think. :smalltongue:

How are the various types normally seen from a mortal point of view (i.e. is one reputed as kind, or maybe one is just more feared than the others, etc etc)?

Marids are the most mythical, since their kingdoms are in unusual locations. Djinni are considered the most unpredictable, and efreeti the most fearsome.

Lord_Gareth
2009-03-09, 01:34 PM
What can I say, I pick a topic and I run it to the ground. Now answer the question :p

Why are sorcerers more trusted than wizards? Are spontaenous casters in general treated better than prepared casters?

What domains are available to those who worship Zihaja directly?

And, yet again, are there any major myths or legends associated with mirrors?

You mentioned that Arabian Nights had robots in it. Are constructs such as golems or other invented beings common knowledge, or perhaps integrated into certain societies? Would the inventor(s) of such beings be stigmatized, or would they be treated more like bards ("Eh, he's magic, but he's also helping us/funny/harmless")?

Juhn
2009-03-09, 01:46 PM
I believe it was said that Sorcerors are largely more trusted because their magic comes naturally, while Wizards hunt down Terrible Dark Secrets which the general populace believes is lost/buried for good reason.

It's also been repeatedly said that nobody worships Zihaja directly. Such people do not exist. Zihaja is nothing more than a theological theory to a few people of this setting, blasphemy to others, and utterly unheard of to the rest. I'm thinking Zihaja doesn't care enough to grant spells/domains even if somebody found out about him and tried to worship him, either out of apathy or out of just being too busy keeping his pair of planes intact to bother with mortals.

Although, I note that you left out the Dao afro.

afroakuma
2009-03-09, 02:12 PM
What can I say, I pick a topic and I run it to the ground.

Evidently. It really leaves me wondering why. Has it ever occurred to any of you that a lot of the information you're seeking will never make it into the campaign setting

Why are sorcerers more trusted than wizards?

You think this is a terminology thing? Because it really isn't. Wizards are more likely to be cursed as "sorcerers" and "warlocks" and "witches" than sorcerers are to be cursed as "wizards."

Put simply: who's more disconcerting, the ordinary-looking person over there with the goatee, or the arrogant vulturelike person with arcane patterns hidden under his cloak, strange inks staining his fingertips and a host of bizarre and exotic implements hanging about him? Who's more easily trusted: the class clown with a secret talent for math, or the reclusive, spidery nerd with the breathing problem who goes everytwhere clutching his TI-92 to heart?

Are spontaenous casters in general treated better than prepared casters?

Because the public's really up on that distinction. :smalltongue:

What domains are available to those who worship Zihaja directly?

That would be the How The Hell Did You Get This Domain domain.

And, yet again, are there any major myths or legends associated with mirrors?

I understood that there was a legend whereby people who routinely asked the same question over and over again would be attacked by a tall, redheaded, evil muscular Asian man with an unusual hairdo the next time they looked in a mirror.

Do you honestly think I have an answer to whether or not there are myths on every single topic?

You mentioned that Arabian Nights had robots in it.

Yes it did. Sadly, someone killed them. It was MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Are constructs such as golems or other invented beings common knowledge, or perhaps integrated into certain societies?

No.

Would the inventor(s) of such beings be stigmatized, or would they be treated more like bards ("Eh, he's magic, but he's also helping us/funny/harmless")?

Loaded question, since I never said bards were treated that way.

It would be quite tricky to invent a robot, since no proximate technology exists to work from.

Lord_Gareth
2009-03-09, 02:39 PM
On one of the discussion threads I asked how bards were viewed, and you said they were treated as generally harmless.

Furthermore, I didn't say that robots would be invented technologically. All of my questions were about constructs, which may or may not be magical. After all, the Genies are highly magical, no?

And I was curious about the mirrors - after all, they are twin planes.

As far as Zihaja goes, my thought line was like this: Someone studying the thesis decides to test it. What's the only way to test a religious thesis in a world with confirmed miracles? Worship the deity and see what happens.

LucyHarris
2009-03-09, 04:50 PM
Someone's got a fixation, I think. :smalltongue:

Mine is Rakshasa. Kekekekeke.

Though, I am strangely without questions at the moment. Must ponder.:smallwink:

afroakuma
2009-03-09, 05:28 PM
On one of the discussion threads I asked how bards were viewed, and you said they were treated as generally harmless.

Sure, but I never mentioned "helping us" or "funny." :smallamused:

Furthermore, I didn't say that robots would be invented technologically.

Evidently, I didn't say that robots wouldn't be invented. It's very sad. I suspect that one member of the build team may have thought it was a rather silly idea and killed them all. It was MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

All of my questions were about constructs, which may or may not be magical. After all, the Genies are highly magical, no?

Fine. Then let's revisit:

Are constructs such as golems or other invented beings common knowledge, or perhaps integrated into certain societies?

No.

As far as Zihaja goes, my thought line was like this: Someone studying the thesis decides to test it. What's the only way to test a religious thesis in a world with confirmed miracles? Worship the deity and see what happens.

Miracles are still darned rare. And, uh, really... how do you hypothetically worship a deity? :smalleek:

Zeta Kai
2009-03-09, 06:34 PM
Furthermore, I didn't say that robots would be invented technologically. All of my questions were about constructs, which may or may not be magical. After all, the Genies are highly magical, no?

Lord Gareth, you see a sandy figure before you. Roll a Knowledge (Arcana) check.

afroakuma
2009-03-09, 07:54 PM
Oh, don't encourage him. :smalltongue:

LordZarth
2009-03-09, 08:05 PM
(1d20) 20

That would be (tots up modifiers) 43. Is it Dandan? :smallbiggrin:

Szilard
2009-03-09, 08:07 PM
Of course not, dandan's a fish.

afroakuma
2009-03-09, 08:13 PM
What he said. :smallannoyed:

Alteran
2009-03-09, 08:22 PM
Mine is Rakshasa. Kekekekeke.

Though, I am strangely without questions at the moment. Must ponder.:smallwink:

Mine is Rakshasa too! Well, also Mind Flayers, but it has been made perfectly clear that they do not exist in this setting. :smallfrown:

LucyHarris
2009-03-09, 10:04 PM
Awww...but yay at fellow Rakshasa person!

We should team up and bombard Afro with questions.:smalltongue:

afroakuma
2009-03-09, 10:24 PM
Try me. :smallamused:

Alteran
2009-03-09, 10:34 PM
Tag-team Rakshasa Ninj...never mind...

How do the Rakshasa treat wealth? I believe normally, (almost) all Rakshasa are assumed to be wealthy and powerful, does that hold true in this setting? Are there Rakshasa commoners?

afroakuma
2009-03-09, 10:41 PM
How do the Rakshasa treat wealth?

Big fans. Big, big fans. And yes, they also like fanning implements that are large. :smallbiggrin:

I believe normally, (almost) all Rakshasa are assumed to be wealthy and powerful, does that hold true in this setting?

Hells yes. :smallsmile:

Are there Rakshasa commoners?

Let's call them "middle-class." They're still rich as Croesus, but less of it gets to be spilling pearls, platinum silverware and high threadcount silk broadloom.

The rakshasa make up for being moderate-CR holders of preposterous wealth by being ridiculously dangerous.

LucyHarris
2009-03-09, 11:33 PM
Oooooo...shiny. Pun not intended.

What is Rakshasa government like? Are they ruled by council, do they have one guy who is in charge of everything, or maybe several princes/lords/whatever ruling over their own patches of Rakshasa lands?

afroakuma
2009-03-09, 11:35 PM
What is Rakshasa government like?

What is Billionaire government like? :smalltongue:

There's no such thing. They live individually.

Athaniar
2009-03-10, 07:19 AM
My fixation is kobolds. How are kobolds generally regarded by/how do kobolds regard the different kinds of genies? And the rakshasa? And Dandan?

Do different kinds of genies regard rakshasa differently?

What do the different kinds of genies think of Dandan? What do the rakshasa think of Dandan?

OK, so I guess I have minor fixations with genies, rakshasa, and Dandan, as well.

What would happen if Dandan ever grew wings?

Is Dandan a genetically engineered superweapon created by the rakshasa? Or the Marid? Or the kobolds? Is Dandan really Zihaja? Is Dandan a cursed Marid lord? Does Dandan have a demiplane in its gullet?

OK, major fixation with Dandan.

What is Dandan's Intelligence score? And other scores, for that matter? Who would win in a (hypothetical) battle between Dandan and the Tarrasque (let's say on the bottom of the sea, with th Tarrasque able to breathe water)?

afroakuma
2009-03-10, 07:59 AM
My fixation is kobolds.

No flippin' kidding.

How are kobolds generally regarded by/how do kobolds regard the different kinds of genies?

Same as everyone else.

And the rakshasa?

Don't give the time of day to anyone.

And Dandan?

Dandan sees them as food. Dandan sees everything as food.

Do different kinds of genies regard rakshasa differently?

No.

What do the different kinds of genies think of Dandan? What do the rakshasa think of Dandan?

I refuse. I flatly refuse to answer questions on Dandan. For the final bloody time, it's a GIANT FISH. THE END. IT HAS NO MORE RELEVANCE TO THE CAMPAIGN SETTING THAN DOES THE TARRASQUE IN FORGOTTEN REALMS. IT IS, IN FACT, COMPLETELY BLOODY IRRELEVANT - TO EVERYTHING - AND I WILL NOT DISCUSS IT AGAIN.

:furious:

Juhn
2009-03-10, 09:04 AM
...How many times must we hear "Dandan is just a very large fish, and that's really it" before people accept it? :smallsigh:

Everybody is asking questions about their fixations, so let's see. Lizardfolk questions...

Why do the Lizardfolk worship a Death god? Healing I can understand, but I am having a hard time seeing them as Death-worshippers.

Zeta Kai
2009-03-10, 09:08 AM
(1d20) 20

That would be (tots up modifiers) 43. Is it Dandan? :smallbiggrin:

I'm referring to Gareth; it's not your turn. :smallbiggrin: In the mean time, Zarth, update your character sheet.