PDA

View Full Version : Vote Up A Campaign Setting: Discussion Thread II

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 07:01 PM
Welcome back, folks! The discussion of Hourglass of Zihaja has grown beyond the confines of two threads now, so I've had to craft a third!

And what did I uncover...

http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq194/afroakuma/waharim2.png http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq194/afroakuma/pahati.png http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq194/afroakuma/adimas.png http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq194/afroakuma/johoum.png http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq194/afroakuma/sidaru.png
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq194/afroakuma/umaj.png http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq194/afroakuma/limalia.png http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq194/afroakuma/daq-2.png http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq194/afroakuma/qirus.png http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq194/afroakuma/maqur.png

Also, in case you missed something, the collective Lore so far:

Results of the Vote
Genre: Arabian Nights/Desert Fantasy
Thematic Priorities: Mystique/Travel/Tradition/Multiculturalism/Classic Threats/Fate & Destiny
Magic Level: Moderate
PC Races: Human, Half-Djinn, Lizardfolk, Sabi, Half-Ghul, Kobold & Gnoll
Human Percentage: 50%
Primary Antagonists: Use of Magic
Geography: Few Large Continents
Primary Religion: One Single God (Zihaja)
Cosmology: Yin/Yang Planes (these have been named Siraaj as the Yang plane and Najmah as the Yin plane)
Politics: City-States
Advanced Classes: Alchemist, Dervish, Geomancer, Djinn Lord, Master of the Wastes, & Pharaoh
Setting Title: Hourglass of Zihaja

Lore of the Races
Kobolds
Kobolds are canny and entrepreneurial. This small, reptilian people have a nose for opportunity, a zest for living and a heritage of talent. Though less numerous than other peoples, their long history and prolific spread has led to their traditional tongue becoming the common trade language.

Lizardfolk
The reserved lizardfolk are a conservative race, deeply community-oriented and sensible to the world around them. Preferring a slower-paced lifestyle, lizardfolk have taken a corner of the world for their own, from which they may spread to sample or integrate with members of other cultures. Though more devoted to art than to science, lizardfolk have taken to the seas with aplomb, and are experts in the art of sail.

Gnolls
The hyenalike gnolls are massive, powerful and sociable. The greatest mercantile race, gnolls are present in urban and rural areas as well as in nomadic groups. Gnolls are the finest and wisest traders and put their weight fully behind the causes they love.

Sabi
The children of the dancing blood, sabi are the heirs of genie bloodlines, and feel the allure of their sorcerous ancestry heavily. Though many choose to hide these traits, blending in to be merely elite citizens of their lands, some tap their racial power with great zeal. Descended from four disparate races, sabi nonetheless come to know their own and have banded together in many areas, whether openly or no.

Half-Djinn
Born of a genie and a mortal, half-genies are often identified as such eaqrly on in life. Whether this leads to glorification or ostracism is dependent on the circumstances of their birth, but it is said that mortal culture is not ready for the power and exotic nature of these people. Too, genie culture is fickle and may alternately include or deride them, leaving them to find their own place as leaders among sabi and those who work with the mysterious and exotic.

Half-Ghul
Scarred by the act of conception, the half-ghul's soul is restless. Living concealed almost everywhere they travel, half-ghuls have no links and no home. Few mortal parents willingly care for their offspring, and their dark parentage offers few comforts either. As such, many strike out alone, infiltrating the cities of mortals in an effort to find acceptance or lashing out at the world that has no shelter for their blood.

Of Our History: Meeting the Humans
In the middle time of our people, the two-legged ones from the eastern desert came to sit and share our shade. These humans called themselves teachers, holy men, and they told us their stories of right & wrong, of their ways and laws.

Now in those days, we had no tongue to share with the two-leg men. Two moons came twice before we began to speak as one. They praised a spirit they called Johoum, and wished to tell our young ones of Johoum. We did not understand what they meant. We tried to tell them our secrets, of the fruit that hides water, of our conflicts with the cold brothers, of the birds of the light and the scavenging beasts that are the enemies of all, but we had no understanding.

They showed us their secrets then, and we asked them, why do you carry with you a symbol of evil? for they bore a red rock with the face of the sun. The humans told us, this is the symbol of Johoum.

The wisest withdrew, and at last came back with an answer. Our sage pointed to the sun, saying, That is Johoum? Yes, they told us.

Afraid now, we tried to reason with them. What do you call an enemy, we said, who has immortal power, who seeks to harm and kill without question, and hates the people? They told us, we call it demon.

And we said, we call it Johoum, and now we understand one another. But the humans said no, and they left and did not come again.

The Fall of the Tower of Dust
Those ruins that we pass twice every year, have we ever told you their story?

That is the Tower of Dust - the home of a terrible wizard, the master of a genie bound to a rod of lapis. The wizard sent his slave to destroy a town and build on its foundations from the sand of the desert.

The wizard and his dao terrorized the land, until one day a hermit came to this pass. This hermit was master of these wastes, and had felt the dao's powers from miles away. Now he came, and stood in the court of the wizard, and told him to leave his lands be. The wizard laughed, and cast forth a horrible killing magic.

The treacherous powers of the dao's student washed over the hermit like a gentle breeze. As the hermit advanced, with a heavy staff in hand, the wizard struck again, summoning the poison of a thousand scorpions.

Again, the hermit did not even flinch. He struck his staff once, twice, three times against the floor, and millions of insects rushed into the tower, overwhelming the vile wizard and preventing his sorcery. As the master of the waste left the tower, a great wind rose up and tore apart the dust of the tower, casting it around the desert.

The wizard has died, but some believe his dao remains, trapped in the rod in the ruin. The master of the waste did not want it, and rightly so.

Now you know why we stay on our course, and tread lightly on these sands. Wish not to go to those ruins, and ware the man who walks alone in the desert.

Excerpted from the Second Travels of the Cartographers
...over the Bridge of Bone, we tracked down the broken temple we had searched for. Under the fullest light of a blazing sun, we observed three nearly intangible beings treading upwards to the top of one particular ziggurat. The indented stone they pressed opened a secret shaft, into which descended the light of the sun. As they passed within, we quickly followed after, finding in the heart of the building a gently coruscating pool.

Azhmad, the lizardman, stepped in first, plunging through almost as fast as thought. Feeling the liquid mildly cool to the touch, I decided to risk entry as well.

What I saw on the other side, I may only begin to describe. I have heard tales and rumors and secondhand incidents of this place; but now it was in front of my eyes.

We stood on a beach of whitest sand, facing a dense growth of exotic trees. Luminous birds flew above, in a sky of blackest night, though festooned with brightly shining stars. In the sweet-smelling air we basked, walking along the shore until we came to a vessel of rich, dark wood, piloted by a creature much like a deva, carrying as passengers the most beautiful beings I will ever see. Lizardman, she-gnoll, kobold child, all were to me more perfect than the whole of the harem of the Sultan of Ostaz himself.

The Arrival of the Pharaoh
Decades past, our town saw the arrival of a terrible desert dragon. Harsh as a sandstorm, fearsome as a master ghul, wicked as a dao, the beast slaughtered our animals, despoiled our water and laid waste to our shelters.

A contingent of warriors arrived, pursuing news of the creature. Lizard men bearing long, pendulous, bladed chains. A furman in a dervish's tunic. Two blue-skinned women who carried pure water in midair. All of these paled in comparison to the one who led them.

Though shorter in stature by far than they, and ridiculous perhaps to a child's eye, the kobold who led them radiated competence and power. His brow held high, his eyes outlined in kohl and gold, his teeth sharpened and bold, this was a one to be feared and loved.

The beast came, and the pharaoh's men set out, the lizardfolk binding it with lengths of chain, the genasi chilling it with their mysterious genie-spell. As the beast raged, the gnoll spun, dancing with twin sabers between the crushing claws.

At last, the beast was laid low. The whole city came to see the bound dragon. A murmur rustled through the crowd, as the warriors kneeled in reverence. I was a child then, and I remember seeing those before me step aside or fall to all fours, making way for this small, scaly man. As he came to me, I myself understood his glory, and would have fallen in awe had I not had a sudden insight that I should follow him.

Indeed I did, and with several others, many of us children, we trailed him to the head of the dragon. Standing atop it, he drew forth a golden sword and removed the beast's head with one fell swoop. And at that moment, the crowd was his, adoring him completely.

That day, I understood why we follow a pharaoh. Never will I doubt the power and strength of our great and glorious ruler.

Snippets From A Bazaar I
Get away, boy - he's a sorcerer. See his beard smolders?

Our lord welcomes you to the Middle Way - the way of Daq...

The Zihaja Thesis? I hadn't heard...

A trio of dervishes? Just how big was this asp cult?

Asp-men? Not here, we won't see them. They can't touch us.

Is that actually an aazlai? I've never met one before.

I understood that there was a bidding war between Rasalhague and Rasaljathi.

The City of Gates closed? What will that mean for the orange trade?

Two more children gone? It was half-moon still last night, yes? Somebody must tell the imam...

Not really a ghul? So their hearts were truly eaten, then. We'd best be cautious.

I never mind the gnoll customers as much as the rest.

Take it to that merchant there. He's a kobold, you know. For a rayseed he'll stitch it closed better than the flyson who made it.

...yes, down by the Sufa Madraba - below Darb and Naranj.

...the slavers from Ustaz? I'm not certain they should be allowed until evening.

A true deva? Not here, certainly.

You idiot! You brought back a peri! Get it away from us!

A Shadowy Conference In Agni
From the annals of scribe Al Alu, archon serving most holy Jayyamaha

The trio of lords sat, with the greatest at the head of the mat. Caliph Sauyyid took the left seat, and Tyrant Akshaya was permitted to join at the right.

My lord Jayyamaha, the sacred and great, proposed a sortie by a fast fleet joined from the forces of all three lords. This fleet would enter the southern sea, where the waters run fierce with red, bronze & gold.

Akshaya agreed, but the Tyrant wished to lead the fleet personally. Understandably, my great and radiant master could not permit the devil lord to captain our cause. Thankfully, the djinni Caliph, seeing the marvellous wisdom of my lord, volunteered a mariner in his service, one drawn from the bright world.

The fleet was of the utmost necessity, however, as our cities faced the common enemy -

Record ends.

Excerpt From the Quest for the Ring of Bones
Imam Efar, I am, and I write this forty-fourth day of our quest to find the ring of bringing life to the deceased. Loremaster of the City of Bridges, I cross over boundaries to link truths. This writing I prepare as is decreed by Those Who Join The Ways.

On this our four and fortieth morn, the sun, Johoum as our southern companion called it, was especially cruel. Still far from the Satha Laylanuha, our caravan numbered now twelve, as the bearded one had left us in Qulzai, and our maned companion lay dead in the Narrow River.

We pressed forward under the leadership of the self-styled Emir, who went shirtless and shoeless in the fierce heat. No longer under disguise, his skin and blazing eyes told him to be efreeti-born. I, of course, am familiar, as my mother's second husband (now dead to a curse of wrath) was himself fathered by a djinn, and my sister of mother's blood shares that heritage. But I wander...

Our alchemist, a sallow, terrifying man who wore his hood up at all times, did not seem bothered by the heat. It was believed that he, the Emir and the kobold shaman Araz had scheduled the original caravan. Brothers Joined, I toil still to bring this document to our annals, but the veracity has not been confirmed of yet.

In a dust bowl littered with harpy fallen, we met the master of the trail, a clay-colored lizardwoman of flaked scales and brown eyes. She sat with two earth diviners, who spoke to the stone below and paid us no heed.

I rendered our discoveries unto the Emir, who negotiatied with the master. It was told to him that indeed we had reached our goal, midway between Blood Rock and Stabbing Rock. Now, their speakers would open our path.

A great shaking was called by the diviners, and the tremor revealed a new ground below, verdant, but laced with a blood crimson. The sky itself seemed to give way to a pristine darkness, and the smell of ash rose to greet us.

The door to Najmah had been propped open for us. Sirngaveram awaited.

Notes From the Records of Calal the Fortuitous
(Note: some passages have been damaged by various dyes, chemicals and other substances)

It is in my fourth year as a master of the Craft that I have finally succeeded in transmuting base tin into splendid gold, using a - food stains obscure text - and buttermilk. Now, if only I could remember how; perhaps with more work, I shall be able to replicate my success!

It is now my fifth year practicing the great Craft, and I have created a univ - this page as well as several others through the back of the manuscript has a large hole burned through it, as though by a caustic fluid - hand. On the bright side, I now have a new idea for a tincture to heal my injuries.

Testimony of Ashrah the Earthbound
...ultimately, I slew my mother. It was a cold-blooded act, to be sure, but I didn't care then and I care less now. Father was still alive, and I managed to smuggle him past that harlot's phantoms to a lizard shanty, where I expect they took good care of him.

- Describe the battle with your mother.

Mother was a terror - I couldn't pin her down, try though I might, for she was wreathed in a blinding fog and in the shapes of man and beast. This scar, here, came from her bared claws. Wicked wound, that.

She was fearsome, my mother. An unearthly blackness seemed to follow her about, and creatures of phantom darkness came to her aid, snatching at me uselessly. Myself, I employed a relic sword from the old empire, and though a few strikes glanced off of the wicked matriarch, most of my hits told, and dearly.

- Open combat, then. So she knew it was you she fought?

I don't think she even cared. If anything, it probably just fed her bloodlust. My mother was freakish and horrific.

That said, in her last moments, I looked into her feral eyes and saw a glimmer of... not understanding, since she would never stoop to interpreting the actions of a lesser creature, but maybe... acceptance. Relief.

Racist Joke
A lizardman, a furman and a half-djinn are shopping in the bazaar. Each of them is looking for the perfect gift for his mother.

The lizardman chooses a fine glass ewer with a porcelain base, to hold cool water. The furman and the half-djinn nod their heads.

The gnoll chooses a fine dreadwood chest, banded with red steel. The lizard and the half-djinn nod their heads.

Now the half-djinn looks all day, through piles of exotic fruits, jewels and precious art, then at last chooses a dented tin snuff-pot. His companions can't figure out why he would buy such junk for his mother.

"What do you mean, junk? We've been looking for Father for the past five years!"

The Devotion of Skartoth
It was in the first century of Babalarud, before it was the City of Gates. Now at this time, the city was small and without walls, and its warriors had gone south to the Sufa Madraba.

The city was under the protection of Johoum, and his temple held a lone, mad hermit pledged to the fierce, punishing sun god. When warriors from the west came, they sought to sack the city and deliver it from Johoum to the worship of their blood goddess.

The goddess' warriors approached as one, twenty men and four priests, astride steppe-bred horses of Yan. As they came to the first of the adobes, delivering the message of the blood goddess, the disciple of Johoum stepped forth.

The first rider came fast - and was blown away with a swish of the hermit's morningstar. Two more came forward, screaming a fierce battle cry - and fell screaming to deft blows.

Then Johoum's priest started his stride of slaying, and the cruel flames of his lord whipped the onrushing warriors and scoured the flesh from their bones. The priests of the blood goddess grasped at him with hands of flensing blight, only to be torn apart by the rending spikes of Johoum's fist.

Finally, only the archpriest remained, and he summoned the wrathful blood of his dead slaves to wake them from the Judgment to take vengeance. But the authority of dread Johoum went with his servant, and as the morningstar struck, the archpriest died instantly.

In less than two minutes, it was done. The blood goddess faltered and fled the West, and from the iron of the foemen's weapons did Johoum raise the first gates of Babalarud.

The Sage's Story
Rasal Alfoz walked down the Way of Figs, enjoying the little clouds of dust left by his shuffling feet and tail. His old scales, a lively lime at birth, were now dun, cracked and sparse.

A waterkeeper called good morning to him, and an eggwatcher, and a passign hunter. Children came out to greet him, and by the time he reached the fountain wall the aggregate mass of hatchlings, yearlings and youths climbing on his legs and shoulders forced him to sit for a story.

As he weaved his tale, passers-by paused to listen, with questions on their tongues. Rasal Alfoz spoke through his characters, instructing his neighbors on their needs without disturbing the children.

At last, the tale ended, and a lizardwoman came around the corner to lead the children away. Rasal Alfoz glanced at her, looked into her eyes, then suddenly sprung forth.

Casting off his old, drab robe to reveal well-worn leathers, the sage struck out at the lizardwoman with his staff once, twice, thrice. Her scales crumbled under his blows, revealing dead black flesh. She tried clawing at the children, but could not strike even close to Rasal Alfoz.

At last, one final blow sent her crashing into a nearby adobe, where her scales shed and her form bent, revealing a terrible creature beneath. Rasal Alfoz sent the children to gather priests and priest-warriors to cleanse the beast's taint, then continued along.

Excerpted from the Kiss of the Pahari
We had not believed in the marid until we stood in his court. Now, dazzled by the court of the Northern Shah, we were borne below by his invisible agents, given breath through the grace of Limalia.

Through the darkness we could see the iridescent forms of the swimming pahari. Concealed still by the banks of hard, plantlike clay, we waited for our magician to wrap us in a sorcerous veil.

Ahead in the center of the pahari city, we saw the palace of the Western Shah. The shining light radiating from the tunnels we knew to be the fabulous pearl we sought: the Kiss of the Pahari. However, we feared the warriors of the Shah, who we were warned bowed to the leadership of his son, a mortal man. As well, we could not speak with and did not trust the bearers sent by the North.

The greedy light in the sorcerer's eyes worried me, for I feared that he was desirous of the Kiss himself. Legend said that it was a jewel of magical power, perhaps even the home of the Padishah himself!

The Witch of Zanzalar
The people of Zanzalar had never encountered so much as a genasi's hair, for all of their superstition. Their youths would travel to one of the larger towns and come back with tales of great beasts that walked through wide rivers, blazing genies on the backs of striped lions and enchanted jewels that danced about the heads of blue-skinned sorcerers.

I knew better. I had met the son of a dao once, and knew the feel of the extranatural. I had fought in Turzech againt the vulture-women and seen the trail of a sandworm. I knew that there were real monsters in the world.

When the youths of Zanzalar began to sicken, the people were quick to blame their misadventures in the foolish cities of the scaled folk. One woman berated a local village girl as a sorceress, claiming she had cursed her boy. Though certainly reasonable, one jilted lover could not have caused the sickening of seven young men.

The rumor caught, though, and soon the town was up in arms over an unidentified "witch." I took a night watch, and kept count of the folk going back to their homes.

I saw it then; a tall creature, dark in figure. It was not one of us; my count was flawless and this was one more. I followed it as it stalked among the huts, keeping a safe distance.

Suddenly it vanished, leaving no trace of movement. I ran to where the thing had stood and looked around frantically. There - through a window! I had no time to guess how. I jumped through and brandished my sword against the creature, now with wings spread, loomed over a sleeping youth. I could see its soft mouth draw up in a smile, and was suddenly drawn in a fit to leave it be, to relax and go about my business. This mood passed quickly, however, and I struck swiftly with my saber.

The blade skidded against the dark thing and left not a trace of a wound. It hissed at me and knocked me to the floor with a vicious blow, then was gone.

To this day I know not what the witch was, only that it is something to be feared and not seen again. The people of Zanzalar have a different opinion, since now they are the ones with a story of the fantastic.

The Child of Paradise
In our village, we have strict traditions about the lake. Other villages believe differently, but our rules stand firm. We are proud of them.

This I am taught, as a woman-child of water: that my mother, a daughter of the pearl, went to the lake on the night the moon was born while she awaited me, and my brother, and her man-child. So all women, daughters of the pearl or daughters of water or the dusty-skinned, go to the lake when they await the child in their womb.

This I am taught, as a child of the dancing blood: that I go to the lake when the moon bathes, when I am here of a decade, when I am here as a woman new, when I join my family to that of a worthy man, when I have children of my own - as when I was here of but one wet season. So too all.

This I am taught, as an ignorant child: that when the moon is born, it is the egg of Paradise, and Paradise sees it go, and that Paradise is a woman, who wishes for love, and strength, and growth, and her child. So for all, women or men, whether of the singing blood or the dancing blood or the blood that spills in the dust and cracks.

This I am taught, as witness from infancy who waits anew: that when the moon bathes, it ripens and parts, and births the life of Paradise: the birds of the radiant flame, the winged starlight that cavorts and sings, the feathered dancer that never rests upon the ground. Star-spun devas, with bridal coil, and the dreams of our greatsires, astride conquests most terrible to behold.

This I am taught, and this only as an heir of the old empires, the true empires: that the life of Paradise lives beyond the lake, and that we may visit, and see the bridesday of the deva, speak with the dreams of our grandsires.

I am a woman-child of water, born of a daughter of the pearl, and I shall one day swim to Paradise, following the bathing moon.

This I am taught.

The Scribe’s Journal
It was supposed to be a simple trading assignment, something to fatten the satchels of Aldurba, the merchant prince who commissioned this trip. It was supposed to be simple, boring, & profitable. We were supposed to survive.

We were barely 50 miles out from Zurqim, our starting point, when a mule broke its leg. The three clerics could not agree on whether to pray to Limalia, Umaj, or Adimas for a safe journey. I couldn’t care less which god they begged to, for I believed in none of them. The only thing I believed in was the fact that the mule had broken its left hind leg, & that was an ill omen for the whole caravan.

Sure enough, not a week later, a dust storm swept over us just after we left Dajajah. Sand storms are not supposed to be this strong so near to the coast, so its intensity caught us off-guard. The alchemist & his son were whisked away while trying to tie down their wares, & the alchemist’s wife screamed a vile curse at us before running into the tempest. We never saw any of them again.

The very next night, the dervish’s second wife was slaughtered by an almasti. It was I who found her empty body, & I still cannot speak of it. The dervish left to avenge his young wife & unborn child. He was gone for so long that we assumed he had been lost as well, but he caught up with us at the city of Mamluk. He claimed that he was victorious, & he had an almasti’s head with him, but he must have traded it for an eye & a hand. His victory was hard-won indeed.

After Mamluk, we were hit by another sandstorm, which drove us off-course, deeper into the Sahra Basit, the Arid Plains. We lost more water than we planned, as well as our best guide, for he was killed by a pair o–

NOTE: This portion of the journal is illegible, as the next several pages are torn to shreds.

I don’t know how we made it to Raqam. Nine men & four women have been lost, out of an original 45 caravan members. The merchants are determined to go on, despite the many misfortunes. I told them that I was not going to continue to Nahraldikh, our ultimate destination. The Red Sands are between us & Nahraldikh, & I doubt we will make it through the Ral Zadi alive. The merchants implored me to stay, & they offered to double my travel fee. I fear that I may have been a fool to agree.

Shortly after we set out from Raqam, another guide was killed. He was attempting to negotiate with the Camelotaurs, when he somehow offended them & was hit by several arrows. We think that he may have angered them by drinking from his water flask without offering them any, but we cannot be sure. Negotiations did not continue & we moved on swiftly.

NOTE: This portion of the journal is illegible, as the next page is missing.

The caravan is in disarray. The merchant prince is dead, & his fellow merchants are mad with fear & despair. Our remaining guides have left us, claiming that the caravan is cursed. We are low on food, our water is nearly gone, our last cleric killed himself, & the merchants wail about their profit margins. They are fools, & I wish them ill.

If we make it to Rizaj, I will leave this caravan. I no longer care how much they promise to pay me. A sultan’s treasures could not persuade me to –

NOTE: This portion of the journal is illegible, as the next couple of pages are stained darkly.

The ghuls said that they would return for the rest of us. There are only five of us left, after their last slaughter. I cannot hope to escape their wrath with my leg twisted & broken as it is. My death will be upon me soon, with red eyes & long teeth.

The others blame the alchemist’s wife for cursing us, but I know the real reason for our bad luck. I should have read the signs better, & heeded them. A wiser man would have seen the mule’s broken leg as the portent of doom that it was. It was the beast’s left hind leg, after all. I should have turned back to Zurqim then & there.

I shall miss my wife, & my daughters as well. I love them, & hope that they may forgive some day for not returning to them.

I hear the ghuls. They have returned. I know that I will not be –

NOTE: The journal ends there. This book was found on top of a dune, tattered & worn, 20 miles west of Rizaj. No other items were found near the book, & no tracks led to or from the spot where it was recovered. Marqud the Scribe did not date his journal, so it is not certain when this ill-fate journey took place, but caravans have not come to Nahraldikh from as far as Zurqim in many years.

A New Moon, Part 1
I had finished my chores at the bakery, & had just changed out of my work clothes, when Ghalib stopped by the shop.

“What brings you this way?” I asked, genuinely curious. His father’s shop was on the other side of the bazaar.

“I have two extra tokens for tonight’s court,” he said with a grin.

“How did you get so many?” His family did not have enough money or influence to spend on so many court tokens.

“You know that new sub-minister? The scaley? Well, the sub-minister was dolling them out, & he dropped his bag. The vouchers went everywhere. I snagged a handful in the confusion,” he said smugly, his eyes wild in triumph. That sub-minister could be whipped for such carelessness, unless he can cover up his mistake. “I gave one to Alabi, & another to Qaj, so I thought you could use one, as well.”

“Well, thank you,” I said, taking the pair of round coin-like tokens. “But why two?”

“Well, I saw you & Jalil talking, so I thought…” he trailed off, still smiling.

My face felt hot. Ghalib was older than me by a year, & he was annoyingly perceptive. Jalil has indeed been hanging around the bakery, so we had talked a few times when I wasn’t busy kneading dough. She was pretty, & she said she didn’t mind the pervasive scent of yeast, so we got along rather well.

“Oh, uh, thank you again,” I said quickly, not looking at him directly. “I don’t think she’s ever been to court before.”

“Sabah’s never been, either. That’s why I’m doing her the favor of accompanying me,” he said with the wink of a conspirator. “Well I must go, for there is much to do before tonight. I hope to see you there. Bye!”

Ghalib turned & left, singing to himself. I was sure that he was quite pleased with his manipulations, his scheming to change the lives of others & garner favors along the way. I guessed that poor foolish Sabah would not stand a chance against his charms.

I hurried upstairs to change again. My drab tunic won’t impress anyone at court, & I would have to find Jalil before her sisters made plans for her that she could not escape. Tonight promised to be interesting. The night of a new moon was always worthy of note.

From the journal of Khart Rajiind, Banker.
I was going about my business as usual at the bank. I had just come from an argument with my parents the previous night. They had been fighting with me once again about my choice of profession. My people see no need for bankers. Their lack of organization often disheartens me.

Their squabble with me did not dishearten me as much as the events of this day, however. I had just finished counting the gold pieces of our great and wonderful pharaoh when the most unexpected event happened. A man, clad in gaudy clothing and wearing a foppish hat, walked into the bank. But he did not use the door. He walked in through the wall! I was immediately terrified. He asked my superior Amadj where the vault containing the money I had just so painstakingly counted was located. When the kobold refused to give him the information, a rapier materialized out of the sand on the floor by the door. It flew through the air and struck Amadj down in one fell swoop. It disintegrated back into a pile of sand.

The man reiterated his query to the staff at large. The two bullyblades we hired to protect the bank charged the man. He met their assault head on, rapiers materializing in each of his hands out of the sand around him. He parried the first man’s sword, then turned around him and used him as a shield to stop the seeking blade of the aazlai. The large man attacked him viciously and his aazlai companion moved around behind into a flanking position. The man struck the thief’s sword, which fell apart into nothing. Whooping in triumph, he struck again… only to find that he had impaled himself on a newly materialized dagger. The aazlai took the opportunity to drive his blade into the thief’s back. And caught nothing but sand. The man had dissolved into a pile of sand!

He soon reassembled himself behind the confused warrior and stabbed him viciously in the back. Dervishes from the local temple of Johoum arrived, noticing the catastrophe at hand. They drew their scimitars menacingly. And were promptly blasted to bits by a fireball launched from a wand the outlaw had magically procured.

“Where can I find the vault?” he asked once more, allowing his weapons to simply fall apart in his hands, thus cleaning them of blood. We all simultaneously pointed him in the right direction. As he headed down the hall I followed. And by the time I had arrived at the safe and opened it, he was gone… as were the twenty thousand, two-hundred and fifty three gold pieces I had so painstakingly counted.

Hero of the Serpent-Slaves
They were going to sacrifice my father. And my mother. And even my little sister. The asp-men had come in the middle of the night, and stolen then all away. Only I was left in the home, but I followed them out into the night. I came to their vile temple, full of the malignant power of their vile false god. If only Pashati could hear my prayers then. I was full of fear. Fear that I would be caught, fear for my family.

Until suddenly, everything changed. My father had been on the altar one moment, an asp-man’s sacrificial dagger raised in preparation, when the ground erupted. The altar was blown to bits and pieces, and a flying rock caught my air-borne father and laid him gently on the ground.

The asp-men swerved in unison, with a fluidity and synchronization that belied their evil souls. Before them stood a kobold. One of the smallest, weakest looking kobolds I had ever seen in my life. There were many kobolds in the cities enslaved by the asp-men, like ours, but never had I seen one so small.

The snakes hissed, which I guessed was their equivalent of mirth. They shot out like arrows from crossbows, speeding towards their new target. Until a sharp spear of stone erupted from the ground, impaling the front most one. The kobold began incanting, drawing a pair of wands covered in Archaic markings. With words of power laced with magic, the kobold shook the very foundations of the temple. The rocks around him came to life, suddenly sharp as shale, ad sped towards the evildoers, slicing into them easily. The high-priest of the false god stood alone then, his cultists vanquished.

I felt heavier, of a sudden. The kobold continued his chanting and dancing as fast as ever, but the high priest was slowed almost to halt. Then my hero shouted one last word, and the world went blank…

I awoke next to my family in a bright and comfortable home. Our wounds, minor and major, were being tended to by lizardfolk. I inquired in a small voice about the kobold I had seen. But none of our attendees knew who or what I was talking about…

Unsettling History Lesson (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=TUwzNuG5vLY&feature=related)

Llama231
2009-01-22, 07:06 PM
First post!

So, anyway, those pictures look strange...
The first two seem to have gems.
Third looks Egyptian.
No idea about four five, and six.
Seven looks like a flat world connected to something.
Eight looks like the two dimensions or alignment thing.
Nine looks like Donkey Kong's head, but orange.
And ten looks like a mood crescent necklace.

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 07:11 PM
...no, I think you'll find that I had the first post.

And don't be juvenile. :smallannoyed:

Llama231
2009-01-22, 07:13 PM
...no, I think you'll find that I had the first post.

And don't be juvenile. :smallannoyed:

Fixed that, and are you willing to tell us anything about these?:smallconfused:

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 07:57 PM
Oh come on, I left ten mysterious symbols up there and nobody's curious?

Llama231
2009-01-22, 08:02 PM
Oh come on, I left ten mysterious symbols up there and nobody's curious?

I yam!
How close is my first post?
The Zihaja Thesis?

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 08:05 PM
The first two seem to have gems.

Wrong on both.

Third looks Egyptian.

*shrug*

Seven looks like a flat world connected to something.

Nope.

Eight looks like the two dimensions or alignment thing.

Closest yet.

Nine looks like Donkey Kong's head, but orange.

I'm really not seeing Donkey Kong.

And ten looks like a mood crescent necklace.

It is a necklace or bracelet, yes.

Juhn
2009-01-22, 08:05 PM
Ah, I see my favourite lore post is up there.

"And we said, we call it Johoum".

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 08:07 PM
I thought your fave was "We've been looking for Father for the past five years!"

Llama231
2009-01-22, 08:09 PM
#9, the yellow dot is an eye.
The Zihaja Thesis? la li lu le lo la li lu le lo la li lu le lo

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 08:12 PM
Yes, the yellow dot is an eye.

...why do you keep shouting "the Zihaja Thesis" at me?

Llama231
2009-01-22, 08:15 PM
Yes, the yellow dot is an eye.

...why do you keep shouting "the Zihaja Thesis" at me?

It that a head, or a full body?
What is the Zihaja Thesis?
la li lu le lo la li lu le lo la li lu le lo la li lu le lo la li lu le lo la li lu le lo
la li lu le lo la li lu le lo la li lu le lo la li lu le lo la li lu le lo la li lu le lo

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 08:18 PM
That would be a head.

What do you think the Zihaja Thesis is?

Llama231
2009-01-22, 08:24 PM
That would be a head.
la li lu le lo la li lu le lo la li lu le lola li lu le lo la li lu le lo la li lu le lo
What do you think the Zihaja Thesis is?

Is it a monkey head?

An essay in Zihaja?

Juhn
2009-01-22, 08:27 PM
I thought your fave was "We've been looking for Father for the past five years!"

Heh, that one was funny.

But that first lore post was just powerful. It got me absolutely psyched for this project (I'd still been a little wary over the city-state thing before that).

I am going to lament the loss of the large amount of Lizardfolk information, as well as my character concepts (incongruous though they were.)

I'm curious, what are some other aspects of Zihaja? We know that he took Johoum's place, but that's only one aspect (and we also know that "Zihaja" is not one, because nobody knows he exists. He's a scientific theory as far as Siraaj and Namjah are concerned, and even then he's only that to a few).

Mr.Bookworm
2009-01-22, 08:27 PM
You used a slightly modified version of the three colored triangles one in answer to this:

Are there any areas of gray morality, or is it black and white?

Hmm...

Reverent-One
2009-01-22, 08:28 PM
Well the top left corner one looks like a representation of an oasis/fountain/water, and the one Llama said looks like Donkey Kong I'd guess is a lion's head.

Juhn
2009-01-22, 08:31 PM
Four looks a heck of a lot like a compass to me...

Wait, is it one of those sundial things?

Also afroakuma, you and your threads are terrible for my study habits. :smallmad:

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 08:31 PM
Heh, that one was funny.

I know. I feel so bad for reading it...but then I remember: you can't have fantastic racism without "fantastic!"

But that first lore post was just powerful. It got me absolutely psyched for this project (I'd still been a little wary over the city-state thing before that).

Thank you. I'd hoped it would be.

I am going to lament the loss of the large amount of Lizardfolk information, as well as my character concepts (incongruous though they were.)

Dig it up, I'll post it.

I'm curious, what are some other aspects of Zihaja?

We know that he took Johoum's place

You know, I bet if you quoted my post and checked the names of those images...

He's a scientific theory as far as Siraaj and Namjah are concerned, and even then he's only that to a few.

Religious theory, I'd say.

LordZarth
2009-01-22, 08:36 PM
http://s447.photobucket.com/albums/qq194/afroakuma/

Herez.

Juhn
2009-01-22, 08:36 PM
Oh. Duh. So #4 is not a sundial, it's Johoum's symbol. Well, at least I got the "sun" part right

Also, I note upon reading my last post that typing "sundial things" comes off less as "one of those fangled timekeeping devices" (which was my intention) and more as "I don't know what a sundial is" (which is untrue).

Thane of Fife
2009-01-22, 08:41 PM
and the one Llama said looks like Donkey Kong I'd guess is a lion's head.

My guess would be a gnoll's head, personally.

And I'm fairly certain that the one in the middle of the bottom row should actually be in the top left corner.

Juhn
2009-01-22, 08:41 PM
I note that the idea that all the gods are just various aspects of the greater Zihaja is very similar to a school of thought in Hinduism.

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 08:42 PM
My guess would be a gnoll's head, personally.

No, it's a lion's head. Sorry.

And I'm fairly certain that the one in the middle of the bottom row should actually be in the top left corner.

I don't follow.

Juhn
2009-01-22, 08:45 PM
Obviously the closest thing to Zihaja's true form that can be conceived by the citizens of Siraaj and Najmah is a triangle. :smalltongue:

Also, do we have a name to use when talking about both planes?

Reverent-One
2009-01-22, 08:46 PM
No, it's a lion's head. Sorry.

And my oasis/fountain/water guess?

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 08:50 PM
Obviously the closest thing to Zihaja's true form that can be conceived by the citizens of Siraaj and Najmah is a triangle. :smalltongue:

Not likely.

Also, do we have a name to use when talking about both planes?

That we do not. I'll get on that.

And my oasis/fountain/water guess?

Was utterly incorrect.

Juhn
2009-01-22, 08:51 PM
For posterity, the aspects, in order:

1. Waharim
2. Pahati
3. Adimas
4. Johoum
5. Sidaru
6. Umaj
7. Limalia
8. Daq
9. Qirus
10. Maqur

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 08:57 PM
For posterity, the aspects, in order:

1. Waharim
2. Pashati
3. Adimas
4. Johoum
5. Sidaru
6. Umaj
7. Limalia
8. Daq
9. Qirus
10. Maqur

Filename error.

Juhn
2009-01-22, 09:02 PM
...You just had to link that youtube video, didn't you?

So is Zihaja the little girl, or the Qidam?

Also, where is the initial teaser? That rhyme was apparently important.

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 09:06 PM
...You just had to link that youtube video, didn't you?

A) I like Cirque.

B) Cirque is awesome.

C) Cirque.

D) It's relevant. To my interests; which are Cirque.

So is Zihaja the little girl, or the Qidam?

Neither. The little girl's an ambitious, greedy moron. The Quidam is an emissary of Najmah.

It's the hat that's particularly important, here.

Well, the hat and the door.

Also, where is the initial teaser? That rhyme was apparently important.

You go dig it up, I'll post it.

Juhn
2009-01-22, 09:08 PM
...It was in the first post of the discussion thread, wasn't it? That's not much digging.

Also, I wish to hear more of Umaj. My reasoning for this choice is that I like that name the best.

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 09:09 PM
Sorry; I've been going alphabetically and I'm only done up to Maqur.

You'll have to wait a bit.

Juhn
2009-01-22, 09:16 PM
When you're done, can we get a list of portfolios andor domains for each aspect?

That is how you're handling domains, right?

Also, the lack of a slash is due to the fact that Vista keeps changing which buttons correspond to which characters.

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 09:24 PM
Perhaps.

For now, I will state that there are ten new domains.

Juhn
2009-01-22, 09:26 PM
Ten new ones? It's good to be a cleric in this setting.

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 09:27 PM
Depends who you're a cleric of.

It's very good to be a cleric of Adimas. I do not envy those who follow Limalia, however.

Thane of Fife
2009-01-22, 09:28 PM
I don't follow.

Because, you know, it's a triangle. Pointing down. And right under it there would be another triangle. Pointing up. Which would, you know, sort of, in a kind of abstract way, look vaguely like a....

Do you see it? Sort of?
My head cut off?

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 09:29 PM
Pair of triangles? Odd choice.

Umaj's mark is not a triangle, however; it is a forked branch.

Daq's symbol is a triangle, though.

Juhn
2009-01-22, 09:42 PM
I take it Umaj (forked road) has a lot of focus on making major or difficult choices?

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 09:44 PM
Not at all.

Juhn
2009-01-22, 09:49 PM
Wow. I did not expect to not even be remotely correct. What does his symbol, well, symbolize then?

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 09:53 PM
A lack of expectation. No set path. Being given no direction. Freedom.

Juhn
2009-01-22, 09:55 PM
...So then, if Bruce Lee was in this setting, he would follow Umaj.

All the more reason to give that aspect my endorsement.

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 10:21 PM
Amuse yourselves by guessing at alignments and portfolios.

There are... three evil aspects, I believe.

Juhn
2009-01-22, 10:23 PM
Is Zihaja-Johoum evil, or was that just Johoum-Johoum?

Llama231
2009-01-22, 10:23 PM
I have read this thread completely, and I still have no idea what is going on.
la li lu le lo la li lu le lola li lu le lola li lu le lola li lu le lo
So are the pictures of the aspects or something?
Where did this come from?

Juhn
2009-01-22, 10:24 PM
I asked about aspects. Afro said to look at the filenames of the pictures in his posts. Picture four is called Johoum. Johoum was previously established to be an aspect of Zihaja. Therefore, the pictures represent the aspects, near as I can tell.

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 10:25 PM
The pictures are the holy symbols of the aspects.

For all intents and purposes, an aspect has its own alignment independent of Zihaja's.

Llama231
2009-01-22, 10:29 PM
I asked about aspects. Afro said to look at the filenames of the pictures in his posts. Picture four is called Johoum. Johoum was previously established to be an aspect of Zihaja. Therefore, the pictures represent the aspects, near as I can tell.

Ohhh...
Postquote, those tricky little things.:smalltongue:
Missed it on my first read-through.
la li lu le lo
People don't seem to like quoting me.:smallfrown:
So each one is an alignment?

Juhn
2009-01-22, 10:33 PM
For all intents and purposes, an aspect has its own alignment independent of Zihaja's.

Figured as much. Zihaja is TN mostly because he doesn't care enough to be any other alignment, but he's also all-encompassing. It balances out to TN.

So, are there pseudo-Hindu Zihajites in this setting? "All gods are simply aspects of one greater unknowable force." The name obviously wouldn't reference Zihaja, due to "unknowable", but still.

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 10:40 PM
That would be no. Apart from the Zihaja Thesis, few are aware of the worship of more than three or four gods, max.

Juhn
2009-01-22, 10:41 PM
Remind me to form this movement at some point, then.

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 10:44 PM
I don't see how you'd do that.

Crabs Magee
2009-01-22, 10:46 PM
The pictures make me think of trippy album covers and the bands that used them...Pink Floyd being the first band to come to mind.

Sorry. Had to post that.

How close are you guys to being finished?

Juhn
2009-01-22, 10:49 PM
Judicious use of research and possibly the Pharaoh PrC?

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 10:58 PM
Judicious indeed, seeing as their worship spans the length and breadth of the continent and some of their churches are disinclined to others.

The Pharaoh... that could in fact help. A powerful Pharaoh can override the most devout priest.

Juhn
2009-01-22, 11:07 PM
Or he could dual-class Master of the Wastes and Pharaoh and explore all the various places himself.

But, that would head into epic levels long before it would be viable, so I don't think that would work.

afroakuma
2009-01-22, 11:28 PM
That's a...fairly random combo.

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-23, 04:40 AM
I'd guess Pharaoh/Master of the Wastes would be fairly MAD as well, considering that MotW seems to be a high to medium-BAB survivalist, as opposed to the outright Diplomancy of the Pharaoh.

Zeta Kai
2009-01-24, 12:33 AM
Well, considering that we haven't released the crunch on either class yet, there sure is a lot of technical discussion going on about the Pharoah & the MotW. I find it commendable that so much has been (semi-accurately) deduced about these classes.

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-24, 09:08 AM
Well, considering that we haven't released the crunch on either class yet, there sure is a lot of technical discussion going on about the Pharoah & the MotW. I find it commendable that so much has been (semi-accurately) deduced about these classes.

Well, bearing in mind the filled-out MotW character sheet Afro posted in the previous thread, and the fairly explicit fluff and answers given referring to the Pharaoh in places, should you really be all that surprised?

Juhn
2009-01-24, 02:04 PM
That's a...fairly random combo.

I suppose. I was just trying to figure out a way he could visit all these places himself, and then start a movement.

Also, my Johoum question seems to have been forgotten.

afroakuma
2009-01-24, 02:28 PM
I suppose. I was just trying to figure out a way he could visit all these places himself, and then start a movement.

Oh; well that would be impossible.

Also, my Johoum question seems to have been forgotten.

What was it? I'm lazy.

Juhn
2009-01-24, 02:52 PM
Is Zihaja-Johoum evil, or was that just Johoum-Johoum?

There you go.

afroakuma
2009-01-24, 03:09 PM
I could have sworn I answered that; something like aspects are functionally their correct alignment.

This.

Llama231
2009-01-24, 08:03 PM
Ohhh...
Postquote, those tricky little things.:smalltongue:
Missed it on my first read-through.
la li lu le lo
People don't seem to like quoting me.:smallfrown:
So each one is an alignment?

Questions answer?:smallconfused:

afroakuma
2009-01-24, 08:21 PM
The answer would be no, since I count ten.

Llama231
2009-01-24, 08:22 PM
The answer would be no, since I count ten.

Huh...
So what alignment(s) are duplicated?

afroakuma
2009-01-24, 08:27 PM
Well, logically I'm not telling.

Llama231
2009-01-24, 08:30 PM
:annoyed:
What can you tell us?

afroakuma
2009-01-24, 08:30 PM
Plenty.

Ask me your questions, bridgekeeper, I'm not afraid.

Szilard
2009-01-24, 08:41 PM
Do you have a full world map? (Of of Siraaj, or Najim the other plane)
If so, would you mind posting it for us?

Llama231
2009-01-24, 08:43 PM
What...Is your favorite color?:smalltongue:
Maps are always good.

Szilard
2009-01-24, 08:44 PM
His favorite color is either blue, orange, red, or purple. Maybe black or gray too. Though black might not be a color.

Lappy9000
2009-01-24, 08:44 PM
Unsettling History Lesson (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=TUwzNuG5vLY&feature=related)
Well it....is unsettling. I honestly have absolutely no idea what that was about. Oops, nevermind. You already explained that on page 2.

Anyway, I'm digging the list of stuff completed. It (obviously) makes things eaiser to keep track of.

Edit: Well my favorite color is blue. No...wait-! *flung off bridge*

Szilard
2009-01-24, 09:00 PM
Yellow then blue, but whatever.:smalltongue:

My favorite color is red.

To stay on topic, I shall say deserts are fascinating.

Llama231
2009-01-24, 09:03 PM
Blue-, No!-, Yellowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!......... (http://www.moviedeaths.com/monty_python_and_the_holy_grail/sir_galahad/)

Llama231
2009-01-24, 09:04 PM
Yellow then blue, but whatever.:smalltongue:

My favorite color is red.

To stay on topic, I shall say deserts are fascinating.

What sort of deserts will be in the setting?

afroakuma
2009-01-24, 09:06 PM
Do you have a full world map? (Of of Siraaj, or Najim the other plane)
If so, would you mind posting it for us?

I had them both, but now I do not. :smallfrown:

And my favorite color does happen to be black.

Lappy: I've got a treat for you.

What sort of deserts will be in the setting?

Baklava, honey bread, orange cake... few yummy ones.

Szilard
2009-01-24, 09:11 PM
Had? What happened?

afroakuma
2009-01-24, 09:21 PM
Had to make room in my inbox. :smallfrown:

Juhn
2009-01-24, 09:36 PM

But... but he spelled it correctly. You can't make jokes about his spelling errors unless he makes the errors.

afroakuma
2009-01-24, 09:38 PM
But... but he spelled it correctly. You can't make jokes about his spelling errors unless he makes the errors.

I'm the badguy. I think you'll find I can do anything I want.

EDIT: Sig Bait - the forum equivalent of Oscar Bait. :smallamused:

Juhn
2009-01-24, 09:43 PM
I don't know if that last remark qualifies as sig bait.

And on the subject of desserts, an inane question:

What is the most preferred desert for each race, generally?

afroakuma
2009-01-24, 09:54 PM
The one they currently live in.

Zeta Kai
2009-01-24, 10:07 PM
The world maps for both planes were completed, but are going though a minor revision phase this weekend.

Thane of Fife
2009-01-24, 10:36 PM
And on the subject of desserts, an inane question:

Desserts made me think about ice cream, which in turn led to thinking about cows, so:

1. Are there cows? Other herd animals? In all actuality, what are the main types of food here? What kinds of foods might I expect to see people eating for breakfast?

On other subjects:

2. Do the words "Open Sesame" have any special meaning here?

3. Monkeys! Are there any monkeys?! Abu!

4. Will there be an official calender to go with the setting (i.e. have you set months and days and weeks and such?)

5. Is there a bright center of the world, and if so, what's the planet city it's farthest from?

6. Will there be plots and villains built into the setting (for example, the old FR Grey Box had big listings of rumors and such, most of which were nothing but plot hooks)?

7. Dragons. Are blues disproportionally represented, what with the whole 'desert' thing?

afroakuma
2009-01-24, 10:45 PM
1. Are there cows? Other herd animals?

I have answered this question with stabulous fury numerous times:

If an animal is native to the Middle East, then it will be native to Siraaj. If an animal is not native to the Middle East, then it will probably not be native to Siraaj.

2. Do the words "Open Sesame" have any special meaning here?

No.

3. Monkeys! Are there any monkeys?! Abu!

:smallannoyed: See above.

4. Will there be an official calender to go with the setting (i.e. have you set months and days and weeks and such?)

Not likely from where I sit.

5. Is there a bright center of the world, and if so, what's the planet city it's farthest from?

Yes. The settlement that is most remote from it would be a miniscule village in the far north of the eastern continent.

6. Will there be plots and villains built into the setting (for example, the old FR Grey Box had big listings of rumors and such, most of which were nothing but plot hooks)?

Yes.

7. Dragons. Are blues disproportionally represented, what with the whole 'desert' thing?

I haven't even confirmed that we're retaining any of the old dragons.

Alteran
2009-01-24, 10:47 PM

Are you going to change the cultural origins of Baklava? I figure you must, so I'll specify my question to "what are the changes to the cultural origin of Baklava?"

Also, honey bread! This implies there are bees in the setting. I'd like to know if the bees are any different from "normal" honeybees.

afroakuma
2009-01-24, 10:58 PM
Are you going to change the cultural origins of Baklava? I figure you must, so I'll specify my question to "what are the changes to the cultural origin of Baklava?"

:eek:

Wha?

I don't even know the original origins.

Also, honey bread! This implies there are bees in the setting. I'd like to know if the bees are any different from "normal" honeybees.

Yes; they have the Cold subtype, are Magical Beasts of Tiny size and speak Slaad.

Lappy9000
2009-01-24, 10:59 PM
Baklava, honey bread, orange cake... few yummy ones.Your desserts depress me :smallfrown:

Does Celiac (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeliac_disease) exist in your campaign setting? 'Cause it had better not :smallmad:
It really doesn't bug me; I just like pretending to raise a fuss when I read that wheat is one of the major crops in someone's setting =p
Edit: This setting's bees are dangerous indees.

afroakuma
2009-01-24, 11:03 PM
Apologies to the celiac community.

...are barley and flax acceptable for celiac sufferers?

Lappy9000
2009-01-24, 11:11 PM
Apologies to the celiac community.

...are barley and flax acceptable for celiac sufferers?

Well, before you start messing with the grains of your campaign setting I'd like to note (emphasis on the infamous white text):
Does Celiac exist in your campaign setting? 'Cause it had better not
It really doesn't bug me; I just like pretending to raise a fuss when I read that wheat is one of the major crops in someone's setting =p
Edit: This setting's bees are dangerous indees.
If you're just curious, the following are fine:
Amaranth, Arrowroot, Beanflour, Buckwheat, Chickpea, Corn, Flax, Lentil, Millet, Montina, Potato, Quinoa, Ragi, Rice, Sorghum, Soy, Tapioca, and Teff.

Barley, Bran, Couscous, Durum, Einkorn, Emmer, Farina, Faro, Grahm, Kumut, Matzo, Malt, Orzo, Panko, Rye, Seitan, Semolina, Spelt, Triticale, Udon, and Wheat are not.

...That would actually be an interesting disease to add in, if you could figure out some way to implement it.

afroakuma
2009-01-24, 11:12 PM
Good to know, as I have a friend with celiac.

Now go read the PM I sent you, then watch the vid again, then come back and tell me I'm a genius.

Go on. I'll wait. :smalltongue:

Alteran
2009-01-24, 11:16 PM
:eek:

Wha?

I don't even know the original origins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baklava
It seems to be Central Asian in origin, and I presume that Asia does not exist in this setting. Therefore, a new origin is required. I am curious as to what it may be. Perhaps it requires a new lore? :smallconfused:

Yes; they have the Cold subtype, are Magical Beasts of Tiny size and speak Slaad.

These are dangerous bees indeed. How does one safely harvest their honey?

Lappy9000
2009-01-24, 11:19 PM
Good to know, as I have a friend with celiac.

Now go read the PM I sent you, then watch the vid again, then come back and tell me I'm a genius.

Go on. I'll wait. :smalltongue:.....:smallcool:
You are, in fact a genius. Possible an evil genius. But a genius nonetheless.

And goshfreakindangit, I feel the irresistable urge to watch all of those videos on YouTube now.

afroakuma
2009-01-24, 11:19 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baklava
It seems to be Central Asian in origin, and I presume that Asia does not exist in this setting.

Shows what you know. :smalltongue:

Therefore, a new origin is required. I am curious as to what it may be. Perhaps it requires a new lore? :smallconfused:

Please tell me you're kidding me.

These are dangerous bees indeed. How does one safely harvest their honey?

Psionics. That should indicate the venomous sarcasm that infused the previous bee post.

afroakuma
2009-01-24, 11:21 PM
.....:smallcool:
You are, in fact a genius. Possible an evil genius. But a genius nonetheless.

And goshfreakindangit, I feel the irresistable urge to watch all of those videos on YouTube now.

Welcome to the POWER of the darkside.

So, with that in mind, are you excited?

Lappy9000
2009-01-24, 11:24 PM
Welcome to the POWER of the darkside.

So, with that in mind, are you excited?Schyeah I'm excited. Especially since that video just busted my writer's block! 'Means another all-nighter working on Lords of Mechanus for me, but that's what us hard-partying D&D nerds do on our Saturday nights, right? :smallbiggrin:

It's nice, having those awesome visuals to personify the setting.

Edit: Dude, just watched the intro with the German Wheel act. That is some hardcore stuff.

afroakuma
2009-01-24, 11:30 PM
Dude, if you want an inspirational Cirque video, look for the ZED (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=QVOI-K-krvM) promo, especially beginning at 1:30. I can't believe humankind has done something that looks like that live. I feel like jetting to Tokyo to see that; it looks like it might beat the tar out of La Nouba, and that was fantastic.

EDIT: I've seen it live. Aerial Silks is still one of the greatest things I've witnessed. But yeah, the German Wheel is awesome. If it could actually be a viable weapon, I'd have added it to the setting in a heartbeat.

Lappy9000
2009-01-24, 11:48 PM
Wow, just finished reading all the excerpts from the front page. Fantastic work all around! I really, really, want to see the Pharaoh now :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, I do have a question for you, Afro, although I imagine it's been asked already:

How well will Hourglass of Zihaja mesh with Sandstorm? Quite frankly, this setting mops the floor with Sandstorm fluffwise, but I wanted to know how well the mechanics for things like desert rules, feats, spells and the like would translate. (Of particular interest is the feat "Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu," giving the owner of the feat the ability to turn and rebuke hippos)

While I'm at it, are you guys going with the Eberron "All things have a place in this setting," or the "Some stuff really doesn't fit in here," approach? Judging from the fact that you've replaced all the core player races, I'd assume it was closer to the latter.

Alteran
2009-01-25, 12:01 AM
Please tell me you're kidding me.

Well, sort of. I am interested in where Baklava now comes from, but suggesting a new lore was a joke. Although...the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. :smallbiggrin:

Psionics. That should indicate the venomous sarcasm that infused the previous bee post.

I choose to meet your venomous sarcasm with unflinching literalism.

Judging by the fact that psionics are extremely rare in this setting (non-existent, I believe), is honey therefore extremely scarce and valuable commodity? Do honey-bandits commit honey-raids on the honey-storehouses of wealthy honey-merchants (who have chosen to make their living buying and dealing honey, you see), since honey fetches such a high price? I am intrigued.

REVELATION: Baklava is commonly composed with honey! Perhaps the origin of this flaky dessert should tie into the high value of honey? Indeed, one might consider that in such circumstances, Baklava may be a dessert only for the wealthy.

afroakuma
2009-01-25, 12:04 AM
Wow, just finished reading all the excerpts from the front page. Fantastic work all around! I really, really, want to see the Pharaoh now :smallbiggrin:

It knocked Zeta's socks off when he first saw it. He thought I was crazy too. :smallamused:

Anyway, I do have a question for you, Afro, although I imagine it's been asked already:

How well will Hourglass of Zihaja mesh with Sandstorm? Quite frankly, this setting mops the floor with Sandstorm fluffwise, but I wanted to know how well the mechanics for things like desert rules, feats, spells and the like would translate. (Of particular interest is the feat "Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu," giving the owner of the feat the ability to turn and rebuke hippos)

Hasn't been asked, actually.

Desert rules; probably very compatible. Many feats and spells will work easily with the setting as well, and I know the special sands may find a place.

And if you want to turn and rebuke hippos, be my guest. :smallbiggrin: You might find less of them than you'd like for that power, though.

While I'm at it, are you guys going with the Eberron "All things have a place in this setting," or the "Some stuff really doesn't fit in here," approach? Judging from the fact that you've replaced all the core player races, I'd assume it was closer to the latter.

Definitely the latter. Even in core, some things need to be removed. Certain spells, most obviously, but also things such as beholders, mind flayers, drow...

Llama231
2009-01-25, 11:50 AM
I have answered this question with stabulous fury numerous times:

If an animal is native to the Middle East, then it will be native to Siraaj. If an animal is not native to the Middle East, then it will probably not be native to Siraaj.

What about the other dimension?

Juhn
2009-01-25, 12:01 PM
The one they currently live in.

Dear God, did I actually make that typo in the same post as I pointed out the spelling difference?

Excuse me, I have to go bang my head against a wall to try to get the stupid out.

...There; that's better.

Also, what's all this talk of celiac? My aunt has it, actually.

And this vaguely-mentioned PM discussion intrigues me.

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-25, 12:08 PM
Let's make this official, shall we.

In what general way do the following differ between Siraaj and Najmah:

Flora?

Fauna?

Terrain?

Weather?

afroakuma
2009-01-25, 01:07 PM
What about the other dimension?

*sigh* Okay, let me put this even more flatly.

I will no longer answer questions about what animals may or may not be in the setting

Llama231
2009-01-25, 01:14 PM
*sigh* Okay, let me put this even more flatly.

I will no longer answer questions about what animals may or may not be in the setting

merceneryypensquestions

Juhn
2009-01-25, 02:04 PM
And that is why you need a word to use when referring to both planes.

afroakuma
2009-01-25, 02:45 PM

No, this is why I need people to stop asking questions that they should really be aware that there are no answers to.

Does anyone have any reasonable questions for me to answer?

Juhn
2009-01-25, 03:33 PM
If the Djinn Lord is still off-limits, then I can't think of any.

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-25, 03:55 PM
Let's make this official, shall we.

In what general way do the following differ between Siraaj and Najmah:

Flora?

Fauna?

Terrain?

Weather?

Considering Afro's recent announcement, scratch the question about Fauna. Would it be possible to have answers on the remaining questions in this list?

afroakuma
2009-01-25, 04:39 PM
Considering Afro's recent announcement, scratch the question about Fauna. Would it be possible to have answers on the remaining questions in this list?

Flora is under the same pronouncement.

Geography is totally different.

Weather is more varied on Najmah, but more extreme and severe on Siraaj.

Zeta Kai
2009-01-25, 06:12 PM

I've just been calling the combined planes Zihaja, for Zihaja is all, & all is Zihaja. That probably isn't very helpful, though, in the scheme of things, because it is unlikely that it will be the official name for the collective 'verse.

afroakuma
2009-01-25, 07:59 PM
Ahhh, we'll figure it out.

Shadow_Elf
2009-01-25, 10:50 PM
Ahh, we'll figure it out

Indeed we will. I don't know that people in the setting would ever refer to them collectively though.

Szilard
2009-01-25, 11:01 PM
The hourglass? Nah, it's not like one flows into the other...
I'll let you guys keep brainstorming.

Llama231
2009-01-26, 10:46 AM
How many people know about both dimensions?
Which side knows more about the other?

afroakuma
2009-01-26, 11:07 AM
How many people know about both dimensions?

A fair number, all things considered.

Which side knows more about the other?

Siraaj.

Juhn
2009-01-26, 11:45 AM
You know, I noticed something recently. Most people who voted for monotheism did so because that was most true to the source material - everyone believed there was only one God.

While we technically have a monotheistic setting, as far as everyone knows there are several gods, and the idea that there's only one god is a crackpot religious theory.

I am liking the way this setting is shaping up, but that somehow seems incongruous to me. Hmm.

afroakuma
2009-01-26, 12:08 PM
You know, I noticed something recently. Most people who voted for monotheism did so because that was most true to the source material - everyone believed there was only one God.

Most still do. Since gods tend to be regional, most believe in only one; those who live in a region with more than one tradition enter into difficulties, as with the Romans and Christians, or the Crusades. Still true to the source.

While we technically have a monotheistic setting, as far as everyone knows there are several gods, and the idea that there's only one god is a crackpot religious theory.

Technically, the idea that my god is also your god, that my lord of the sun is your goddess of sin and treachery, is the crackpot heresy.

Thane of Fife
2009-01-26, 07:24 PM
I'd been meaning to ask:

Will there be a wiki? How are you planning on distributing this?

Juhn
2009-01-26, 07:39 PM
Eh... close enough I guess. Although, didn't the Christians and the Muslims believe in the same god in the first place (At least, as far as one part of the trilogy goes)?

Although, if this is verging too close to the "discussing real-world religions" taboo feel free to ignore it.

afroakuma
2009-01-26, 07:48 PM
Eh... close enough I guess. Although, didn't the Christians and the Muslims believe in the same god in the first place (At least, as far as one part of the trilogy goes)?

Well sure, but they'd often accuse each other of worshiping "that heathen god" so I assume they felt there was no comparison. We only really get that now that they're not trying to pulp one another because of bored European noblemen.

You really just want people worshipping Zihaja, don't you?

afroakuma
2009-01-26, 08:07 PM
Zeta's come forward with the best thing yet: the full map of Siraaj!

Enormous Map of the World of Siraaj

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s228/zetakai/HoZSiraaj9.jpg

Enjoy!

Juhn
2009-01-26, 08:13 PM
Well sure, but they'd often accuse each other of worshiping "that heathen god" so I assume they felt there was no comparison. We only really get that now that they're not trying to pulp one another because of bored European noblemen.

You really just want people worshipping Zihaja, don't you?

Not really, I was just thinking back on the voting process and went "You know, I don't think it really counts as monotheism if nobody realizes it."

That and I'd been curious from the moment I cast my deity vote as to how a setting that only had one god would shape up.

Thane of Fife
2009-01-26, 08:17 PM
Is the fact that there is no northern icecap significant?

afroakuma
2009-01-26, 08:19 PM
Not really, I was just thinking back on the voting process and went "You know, I don't think it really counts as monotheism if nobody realizes it."

It counts as monotheism if everyone follows a monotheistic religion. The fact that it's all the same god is just gravy.

That and I'd been curious from the moment I cast my deity vote as to how a setting that only had one god would shape up.

I'm sorry; what did you feel you've been cheated of?

Juhn
2009-01-27, 10:40 AM
I had a big fancy response to this all typed up, but then the forum went down. I saved it to the clipboard, but my computer's been shut off since then.

In short:

Umm, I certainly see a nothern icecap.

And afro, don't worry about it. You guys just keep doing what you're doing.

afroakuma
2009-01-27, 11:16 AM
Oh, well see now I'm curious. You can PM it to me if you prefer; I just want to know what you wrote.

On another note, how does everyone like the full map of Siraaj?
Because for all you eager beavers out there, I have the first teaser of Najmah for you! (http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s228/zetakai/HoZNajmah5.jpg)
Is it awesome or is it awesome? Zeta's work is fantastic. Props to him.

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-27, 01:33 PM
It's pretty nice.

Could easily have had the positions of the cities previously shown on maps marked on though... i.e. Rasalhague, Neraldikh, Albaluri

But that's just me grasping at straws. ZK has done a wonderful job creating it, it's just a shame about the lack of finishing touches with reference to what has already been revealed.

afroakuma
2009-01-27, 02:52 PM
Well yes, but it's a fair bit of work for him (or me) to segregate what's there from what isn't, especially on the big map. Of course, I suspect you're just fishing for the whole labeled map...

Zeta Kai
2009-01-27, 02:58 PM
For the record, I have worked out at least the rudiments of the wind patterns, the oceanic currents, the climate zones, & the environmental zones. Eventually, I'd like to have tectonics, an altitude map, & other such goodies. At least for Siraaj. Najmah, on the other hand, has less... logical landscapes, making such data difficult to reliably nail down.

afroakuma
2009-01-27, 04:43 PM
Yes, Najmah's landscape is truly wondrous. And marvelously bizarre.
And very much available for viewing! (http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s228/zetakai/HoZNajmah5.jpg)
It's probably my favorite map of anything Zeta's ever done.

Juhn
2009-01-27, 05:12 PM
Oh, well see now I'm curious. You can PM it to me if you prefer; I just want to know what you wrote.

Sorry, I lost it when my computer was shut off.

As for Najmah, it's certainly... colourful.

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-27, 05:23 PM
Of course, I suspect you're just fishing for the whole labeled map...

You can suspect all you like, my main concern was actually reminding people of information delivered in previous spoilers/teasers/etc. considering these things have been delivered over the space of more than 50 pages now, and that's a lot of text to trawl through for any specific piece of information.

afroakuma
2009-01-27, 05:24 PM
Sorry, I lost it when my computer was shut off.

Well, you must recall the gist of it, at least?

As for Najmah, it's certainly... colourful.

:smallconfused: You don't like?

afroakuma
2009-01-27, 05:25 PM
You can suspect all you like, my main concern was actually reminding people of information delivered in previous spoilers/teasers/etc. considering these things have been delivered over the space of more than 50 pages now, and that's a lot of text to trawl through for any specific piece of information.

Well, I left the majority of those in the Lore, which has been restored to the first page. As for the locations of a mere three cities, I hardly think that's relevant.

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-27, 05:32 PM
Yes, but haven't you noticed that the things you think are hardly relevant often turn into massive filibusters that go on for twenty pages or more? (for example: [NOUN] and [SPECIES OF FISH])

afroakuma
2009-01-27, 05:39 PM
Yes, but haven't you noticed that the things you think are hardly relevant often turn into massive filibusters that go on for twenty pages or more? (for example: [NOUN] and [SPECIES OF FISH])

No, those would be the things I think are completely irrelevant. The latter was a massive though uncoordinated attempt to get me to cave on something monumentally stupid, the former was a massive and fairly coordinated attempt (that I correctly predicted before it happened and told them not to do) to try to get me to cave on first an actual decent idea that simply didn't fit with the design and then escalated to ridiculous levels.

Those locations are on the final map, and I don't see that me surgically restoring them to an otherwise featureless map will be all that important. If you really feel the need to be reminded, Rasalhague is in the cusp of the northwestern lake, Nahraldikh along the southern edge of the eastern desert and Albaluri in the rough center of the northeastern cape.

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-27, 06:20 PM
Okay, bad choice of examples on my part, but I do recall a few pages worth of interrogation on the subject of Ghuls at one stage- even after you attempted to explain that Ghuls and Half-Ghuls would be significantly different.

Unfortunately, for as long as humans continue to be human, and the internet works the same way it always has done, you'll continue to get thread derails and filibusters from the people you least expect over the most trivial issues you care to mention.[/discussion of stuff blown out of proportion]

On a more-serious topic, what level of public hygiene (e.g. Sewers, Aqueducts, etc.) has been generally achieved in the setting? I assume public bath-houses styled on the arabic hammam are a given, but I have no idea on anything else

afroakuma
2009-01-27, 06:34 PM
Half-genies are cleanest as a general rule, followed by water and air genasi and then kobolds. Humans are the filthiest, ranking below lizardfolk (who generally feel water should be for drinking and bathing is a luxury). Latrines are still the rule, although in some areas they've put their... residues... to use as fertilizer. Chamber pots are occasionally in use, and there is a fair insect population (though few rats).

Among the rich, baths in fatty milk or oil are more common than baths in water. This practice is also enjoyed in the kobold and lizardfolk communities, although gnolls despise it. Gnolls use very long brushes and have developed a light, frothy soap that is hard on scales. Humans tend to prefer scented oils, but watery alkali soaps are available.

A proliferation of nuts and some abrasive oral fixations keep dental hygiene above par. Otherwise, expect people to be dirty and stink a bit, and the rich to be oily.

LordZarth
2009-01-27, 07:14 PM
May we see Najmah?

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-27, 07:16 PM
May we see Najmah?

Only if you know the password, and the special handshake and pick the right moment.

afroakuma
2009-01-27, 07:17 PM
Please tell me you found it, Merc. I know Juhn did, and I hid it twice.

I mean, of the two, it's just so much cooler to look at.

It's probably my favorite map of anything Zeta's ever done.

Llama231
2009-01-27, 07:22 PM

On another note, how does everyone like the full map of Siraaj?
Because for all you eager beavers out there, I have the first teaser of Najmah for you! (http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s228/zetakai/HoZNajmah5.jpg)
Is it awesome or is it awesome? Zeta's work is fantastic. Props to him.

Completely, utterly, totally, entirely, awesome-sauce-age.:biggrin:

Szilard
2009-01-27, 07:23 PM
Can you tell us what unit the scale uses?

afroakuma
2009-01-27, 07:26 PM
Centimetres.

Szilard
2009-01-27, 07:29 PM
Cool. I'm still not sure if that is sarcasm or not...

afroakuma
2009-01-27, 07:32 PM
That would be sarcasm. If that scale were centimetres, then that map would be, like, some rich guy's backyard. Seriously, that's only 90 m2 (~270 sq. ft)

I would assume it's closer to miles; we don't use Imperial here, but I'd say it's a fairer estimate than kilometres.

afroakuma
2009-01-27, 07:49 PM
Anyway. For those of you who still can't find my secret links to Najmah, I'll post the map shortly.

Expertly hidden; concealed the underline and everything. I am so good.

Juhn
2009-01-27, 08:32 PM
And apparently my edit did not go through, again.

I notice that the northern ice cap that Thane of Fife apparently missed is present on both continents. As it is the most easily recognizable common feature to me, is there any significance to the fact that it is present on both planes?

I was gonna ask what was up with that crazy technicolor spot in Najmah's southeast, but the link appears to be broken now.

Also, Lizardfolk bathe in milks/fatty oils? I assume they cannot use these for food, considering how extremely practical their society seems to be?

Llama231
2009-01-27, 08:55 PM
"This image or video has been removed or deleted."

afroakuma
2009-01-27, 09:08 PM
I notice that the northern ice cap that Thane of Fife apparently missed is present on both continents. As it is the most easily recognizable common feature to me, is there any significance to the fact that it is present on both planes?

I think you have the wrong idea. It's not in the same place on both planes, not by a few thousand miles.

I was gonna ask what was up with that crazy technicolor spot in Najmah's southeast, but the link appears to be broken now.

Someone used the link to go to Zeta's Photobucket and examine the undisclosed maps, so we removed them all pending discussion.

Also, Lizardfolk bathe in milks/fatty oils? I assume they cannot use these for food, considering how extremely practical their society seems to be?

Humans and kobolds use both; lizardfolk use oils only, and only for special occasions. These would be canola oils, corn oils, peanut oils and others that are extracted while preparing dried goods or meal. Never olive oils - those are for eating only. Rind oil, yes.

Juhn
2009-01-27, 09:22 PM
I think you have the wrong idea. It's not in the same place on both planes, not by a few thousand miles.

I didn't mean to say that it was in the same place, just that it has the same features.

Someone used the link to go to Zeta's Photobucket and examine the undisclosed maps, so we removed them all pending discussion.

That's... rather rude. Unless the person was just trying to see if they could manage it, and didn't actually intend to do anything with the information. Then that's slightly less rude.

Humans and kobolds use both; lizardfolk use oils only, and only for special occasions. These would be canola oils, corn oils, peanut oils and others that are extracted while preparing dried goods or meal. Never olive oils - those are for eating only. Rind oil, yes.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Oils that you can't use for more practical purposes (i.e. eating) would be the only ones I would think lizardfolk would use.

afroakuma
2009-01-27, 09:26 PM
I didn't mean to say that it was in the same place, just that it has the same features.

Could be random chance. I'll have to look over it again.

That's... rather rude. Unless the person was just trying to see if they could manage it, and didn't actually intend to do anything with the information. Then that's slightly less rude.

It was curiosity, from what I was told. However, the risk of further leaks has led us to pull the maps for the time being.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Oils that you can't use for more practical purposes (i.e. eating) would be the only ones I would think lizardfolk would use.

Well, I mean, peanut oil is certainly edible, but when it's out of the peanut they don't feel half so bad about it.

Thane of Fife
2009-01-27, 09:46 PM
And apparently my edit did not go through, again.

When I said ice cap, what I meant was how, sufficiently far to the north, the oceans freeze and there's just ice - you can't actually sail to the north pole. After thinking about it, I realized that this ice isn't actually depicted on modern maps of earth either, so never mind.

afroakuma
2009-01-27, 09:55 PM
Siraaj probably orbits slightly south-biased. Note the central location of most of the warm desert on all three continents.

Zeta Kai
2009-01-27, 11:16 PM
Tonight, a couple of forum members looked at the URL's for the images that were posted for everyone's benefit. They used that information to look at my PhotoBucket account, & specifically to view some unreleased content for the VUACS project. That content was not meant to be seen by anyone yet (other than the other two members of the Build Team), & I consider it to be a minor violation of my privacy. I am annoyed, & to remedy this problem, I have removed all VUACS-related material from my PhotoBucket account.

To the people who decided to do this, you have spoiled this for everyone else. I hope that you are happy. You have made my life more difficult & complicated, & I don't appreciate it.

Alteran
2009-01-28, 12:05 AM
:smallfrown:

It happened before I got to see the map, too. For the purposes of the build team, is there no way to password-protect the photos? Or is the easiest way to just not put them under one account? Either way, like you said, more complicated.

At least now I know there are more photos to be revealed later on!

As for questions, I'm wondering about how travel is treated. More than one of the lore posts involved travel over long distances, but it was for mainly business reasons. Do many people travel long distances for other reasons, such recreational purposes or religious pilgrimages?

afroakuma
2009-01-28, 12:12 AM
Recreational, not very often. It does happen, though.

Spiritual, yes. There are a few holy cities, and for those who believe in it and can make the journey, the Pit of Fate on Siraaj.

Travel for pleasure is much more common on Najmah.

LordZarth
2009-01-28, 12:14 AM
So what exactly is this Pit of Fate that keeps being mentioned?

afroakuma
2009-01-28, 12:17 AM
It's a massive pit on Siraaj. Where the dead go.

LordZarth
2009-01-28, 12:22 AM
Dundundun.

Does it lead somewhere?

afroakuma
2009-01-28, 12:26 AM
*shrug* bottom of the Pit of Fate?

LordZarth
2009-01-28, 12:27 AM
*shrug* bottom of the Pit of Fate?

So no... Underworld.

afroakuma
2009-01-28, 12:30 AM
There are only two planes; where would I put an underworld?

LordZarth
2009-01-28, 12:36 AM
Well, I was intrigued by talk of a Pit of Fate where dead people go.

I thought perhaps the pit was an opening into an underworld under Siraaj. Or maybe the underworld was simultaneously under Siraaj and Najmah, connecting them.

Or maybe not. How exactly do dead people 'go to the Pit of Fate'?

afroakuma
2009-01-28, 12:38 AM
Chance card, usually. Or landing on that stupid corner space with the cop.

LordZarth
2009-01-28, 12:41 AM
Chance card, usually. Or landing on that stupid corner space with the cop.

God, I hated that space. You should have gone to jail for evading income tax or something.

In related news, you absolutely. Must. Most definitely. But not actually must, just, you know, you know, should, kind of. I guess. Create Siraaj/Najmah/Zihaja Monopoly.

Just for kicks.

Zeta Kai
2009-01-28, 07:02 AM
For the record, the maps that have already been made public will be restored tonight. I should not have removed them in a fit of pique, & I should have privatized my PhotoBucket gallery prior to this incident. And so, for my contributions to this issue, I apologize to you all, as the original perpetrator has apologized to me. No hard feelings exist on my part, & soon all shall be well. :smallredface:

Now, I must return to my prison cell, where Afro has me chained to a desk, designing monsters. :smallsigh:

afroakuma
2009-01-28, 07:36 AM
Now, I must return to my prison cell, where Afro has me chained to a desk, designing monsters. :smallsigh:

Quiet, slave! Do not speak of your indenture to your betters! :smallfurious:

Mercenary Pen
2009-01-28, 09:13 AM
So, would that make ZK a Tasked Genie- RP Homebrewer then?

Did not originally notice Najmah, simply because I don't immediately look for white text at all times. I will however be examining things more closely when the map, etc. is restored.

Llama231
2009-01-28, 07:29 PM
Anyway. For those of you who still can't find my secret links to Najmah, I'll post the map shortly.

Expertly hidden; concealed the underline and everything. I am so good.

When are you planning to do this^?
Hopefully soon:smalleek:?

afroakuma
2009-01-28, 07:33 PM
*sigh* very well; you people are too lazy to search for my craftily hidden links.

Here it is:

The Teaser of Najmah

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s228/zetakai/HoZNajmah5.jpg

Szilard
2009-01-28, 07:47 PM
That would be sarcasm. If that scale were centimetres, then that map would be, like, some rich guy's backyard. Seriously, that's only 90 m2 (~270 sq. ft)

I would assume it's closer to miles; we don't use Imperial here, but I'd say it's a fairer estimate than kilometres.

That would be a cool backyard...

Thane of Fife
2009-01-28, 07:56 PM
There are only two planes; where would I put an underworld?

Bottom of the Pit of Fate?

Inside the hollow planet?

In the sky (so, technically not an underworld, I guess)?

Under the sea?

Inside a sack carried by some random man doomed to wander the desert for all eternity?

There are all sorts of fun places you could put an underworld.

afroakuma
2009-01-28, 08:14 PM
Bottom of the Pit of Fate?

Well that would be silly, given the staircase going up that's at the bottom.

Inside the hollow planet?

This isn't Mystara. :smallannoyed:

In the sky (so, technically not an underworld, I guess)?

The sky's got enough on its plate without adding a steady procession of dead things. A second time...

Under the sea?

Under the sea? When de sardine begin de beguine...

Inside a sack carried by some random man doomed to wander the desert for all eternity?

Relatively cool, but I think Masters of the Wastes generally have better things to do. Barely...

There are all sorts of fun places you could put an underworld.

That assumes I even need one.

Vadin
2009-01-28, 08:17 PM
Is it the moon?

Is it in the same place as the 'normal' plane, like the feywild/shadowfell in 4e?

afroakuma
2009-01-28, 08:22 PM
Is it the moon?

Is what the moon?

Vadin
2009-01-28, 08:28 PM
Is what the moon?

The underworld? Is this a question?

Llama231
2009-01-28, 08:31 PM
*sigh* very well; you people are too lazy to search for my craftily hidden links.

Here it is:

The Teaser of Najmah

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s228/zetakai/HoZNajmah5.jpg

Oh!
Those, are working now!
*Goes to look.*

afroakuma
2009-01-28, 08:32 PM
There is no underworld. The Pit of Fate is the closest analogue.

afroakuma
2009-01-28, 08:33 PM
Oh!
Those, are working now!
*Goes to look.*

What do you mean, "goes to look?" :smallannoyed: I put it right there.

Juhn
2009-01-28, 10:51 PM
I believe he meant that he was going to take a look at it and then, afterward, respond with his thoughts on it. It was an indication that there was not going to be a review in that post, but that one was coming. It did not mean that he was going to have to do any actual hunting.

As for my own thoughts: seriously, what is up with that crazy technicolor spot in the southeast? Is it supposed to be in thermovision, or what?

afroakuma
2009-01-28, 11:03 PM
Thermovision? No, that's just the sea. Why do you ask? :smallbiggrin:

Zeta Kai
2009-01-28, 11:09 PM
As for my own thoughts: seriously, what is up with that crazy technicolor spot in the southeast? Is it supposed to be in thermovision, or what?

1) It is the physical manifestation of the underlying metaphysical energies that pervade the Plane of Night.

2) It is an outcropping bay of the Sea of Golden Flame.

3) What until you see the rest of the map. This area is the normal part.

afroakuma
2009-01-28, 11:10 PM
3) What until you see the rest of the map. This area is the normal part.

The man has a point. When you consider that you're seeing land that is literally blue and turquoise and coastlines with pure white sand, a bit of colorful water is small potatoes.

Thane of Fife
2009-01-28, 11:19 PM
When you consider that you're seeing land that is literally blue and turquoise and coastlines with pure white sand, a bit of colorful water is small potatoes.

Are you sure it's not just bluegrass? :smalltongue:

But, for the moment at least, I'm mentally picturing something like this:

http://www.polartrec.com/ptrecgallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15159

afroakuma
2009-01-28, 11:20 PM
Pretty picture. Seems to be a bit too much sun and cloud, but very nice.

Any other questions for me?

vegetalss4
2009-01-29, 04:32 AM
The man has a point. When you consider that you're seeing land that is literally blue and turquoise and coastlines with pure white sand, a bit of colorful water is small potatoes.

does this mean that the blue area are land and not water?

afroakuma
2009-01-29, 07:21 AM
No, the dark blue area is the ocean.

Llama231
2009-01-29, 07:22 PM
The orange think kind of looks like a cloud or storm thing.

afroakuma
2009-01-29, 07:34 PM
Anyone have any questions currently?

Llama231
2009-01-29, 07:40 PM
Do the colors on both maps represent the same thing?
If so, what? (Like elevation, geography, environment, etc.)

afroakuma
2009-01-29, 07:54 PM
As a general rule of thumb, yeah. Those maps are mostly biased by terrain, not elevation.

afroakuma
2009-01-29, 09:41 PM
...jeez, awfully quiet today. What do I have to do to draw some fire?

Oh, I know!

Announce some domains!

Five New Domains
Of course, this isn't all of them - I'm not feeling that generous.

Betrayal Domain
Cunning Domain
Destiny Domain
Hardship Domain
Punishment Domain

Llama231
2009-01-30, 10:19 AM
...jeez, awfully quiet today. What do I have to do to draw some fire?

Oh, I know!

Announce some domains!

Five New Domains
Of course, this isn't all of them - I'm not feeling that generous.

Betrayal Domain
Cunning Domain
Destiny Domain
Hardship Domain
Punishment Domain

Pessimistic much?

You are slowly realizing that we get MORE information when we DON'T ask questions, than when we do.

Any case, are these generally evil or neutral domains?
What is the most broken class in the setting?

afroakuma
2009-01-30, 10:38 AM
You are slowly realizing that we get MORE information when we DON'T ask questions, than when we do.

I'd debate that. I leaked a whole five words. Big deal.

Any case, are these generally evil or neutral domains?

That's for you to guess.

What is the most broken class in the setting?

How should I know? I haven't seen anything get played yet...although it does give me an interesting idea.

Off the cuff, I would guess that the Pharaoh will be most abused.

Zeta Kai
2009-01-30, 01:06 PM
Off the cuff, I would guess that the Pharaoh will be most abused.

Yeah, as the Diplomancy-est of the advanced classes made so far, I'd say that the Pharaoh has the most potential for brokenness. Id like to see the creative ways that a Master of the Wastes will be played.

afroakuma
2009-01-30, 01:15 PM
Well, that's fairly rife for abuse too. Just stand there and have a gargantuan bird pick up your enemy and drop him a few times.

Zeta Kai
2009-01-30, 04:13 PM
I expect that a maxxed-out Djinn Lord will be similarly-cheap. A genie's powers should never be in the hands of a PC. :smallamused:

Llama231
2009-01-30, 06:56 PM
So are the prestige classes better to take than normal classes when possible?

afroakuma
2009-01-30, 07:04 PM
Well, that's more of a 3.X-wide standard; the general answer has always been "yes." I assume these will simply be more of same.

Llama231
2009-01-30, 07:55 PM
Do you have a date for when this will be finished yet?
How about for the next set of crunch?

afroakuma
2009-01-30, 08:17 PM
Do you have a date for when this will be finished yet?

No.

How about for the next set of crunch?

The word never comes to mind.

Juhn
2009-01-30, 08:18 PM
I've noticed a tendency on this board to try not to make PrCs any more powerful than sticking with base classes. This has always baffled me. Why bother aligning your build to meet something that has requirements if the reward for doing so isn't any better than just sticking with your base class?

afroakuma
2009-01-30, 08:42 PM
Well, I think our PrCs are definetely a step in the right direction. You saw the dervish.

Juhn
2009-01-30, 08:56 PM
Yeah; considering the recommendation you gave it with regard to my old character concept, I should probably have another look at it. None of the crunch is linked to in the first post, though.

I am also somewhat disappointed that nobody else came up with a character concept for this setting and felt like sharing it. I thought I was gonna start something going there.

afroakuma
2009-01-30, 09:08 PM
I still wish Zeta had approved the original Smite ability. "That chair was not designed in the style of Johoum. It is clearly a heretic and must be destroyed. SMITE!!!"

Juhn
2009-01-30, 10:50 PM
Now I want to do that in a game. Except it would probably have to be more along the lines of "I must now chop it into tiny pieces and burn it as a sacrifice to Johoum! Whirling Blades of Johoum's Fury!"

I'm assuming burning sacrifices is appropriate for a sun god.

xanaphia
2009-01-31, 05:08 AM
No, to sacrifice them to a sun god you leave them outdoors naked until they die from skin cancer.

Llama231
2009-01-31, 03:11 PM
No, to sacrifice them to a sun god you leave them outdoors naked until they die from skin cancer.

lqol!
(Laugh Quietly Out Loud!)

This would be very funny.:smallbiggrin:

What race would be the most likely to do this?

afroakuma
2009-01-31, 03:28 PM
Lizardfolk. Already stated.

Juhn
2009-01-31, 07:30 PM
Oh yeah, that was their ultimate punishment. I forgot about that.

afroakuma
2009-01-31, 07:33 PM
And they rarely worship Johoum.

Juhn
2009-01-31, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't think they'd worship Johoum, but you picked Johoum for your example so I ran with it.

afroakuma
2009-01-31, 11:09 PM
Well, I had limitations. Pashati's people aren't even likely to be dervishes; Maqur's have better things to do than worry about chair styles. Daq wouldn't have a chair style.

Alteran
2009-01-31, 11:24 PM
Do they not have chairs, or just have no particular style of chair?

afroakuma
2009-01-31, 11:26 PM
They have chairs.

Juhn
2009-01-31, 11:30 PM
What about Umaj?

Yes, I seem to be developing a favourite aspect, without knowing anything about any of them other than Johoum.

afroakuma
2009-01-31, 11:57 PM
...granted, Umaj probably doesn't have chairs.

Juhn
2009-02-01, 12:08 AM
Umaj does not believe in chairs?

How disappointing.

Zeta Kai
2009-02-01, 12:32 AM
Umaj does not believe in chairs?

Umaj might just chew on the chair's legs. :smallwink:

Or knock it over, sniff it, & mark its territory. :smallsmile:

Or look at the it quizzically, turn around three times, & lay down. :smallbiggrin:

afroakuma
2009-02-01, 12:52 AM
Or jump up on it, set its butt down and look up at you with an expression that says, "This is obviously mine. I don't see why you presumed otherwise. Now go fetch me my food."

Alteran
2009-02-01, 02:10 AM
Following in Juhn's footsteps, I have selected a favourite aspect based on extremely limited (read: nonexistent) knowledge! Tell me about Sidaru, if possible? If a more detailed answer is not possible at this time, could you please describe him in three words?

Zeta Kai
2009-02-01, 02:14 AM
Following in Juhn's footsteps, I have selected a favourite aspect based on extremely limited (read: nonexistent) knowledge! Tell me about Sidaru, if possible? If a more detailed answer is not possible at this time, could you please describe him in three words?

Sidaru (see-DAR-oo): a predictable, dependable, or resolute aspect.

afroakuma
2009-02-01, 07:57 AM
I love how that gives them absolutely nothing. It amuses me. :smallcool:

I'll leak some reasonable details about each as the time arises. Sidaru has not been fully fleshed out yet.

afroakuma
2009-02-01, 10:20 PM
I am pleased to announce that you may now start pestering me about the Djinn Lord.

Juhn
2009-02-01, 10:37 PM
Well, "dependable" certainly fits with that concept I posted, at least. I might have to take a look at Sidaru.

Also, Umaj is a dog? I don't remember dogs being particularly venerated in that area.

afroakuma
2009-02-01, 10:39 PM
Well, "dependable" certainly fits with that concept I posted, at least. I might have to take a look at Sidaru.

Definitely, since he's a major lizardfolk deity.

Also, Umaj is a dog? I don't remember dogs being particularly venerated in that area.

Hyenas, now... or wolves...

Seriously, did you not see what I just posted above? I thought I could bait you with that.

Mercenary Pen
2009-02-02, 03:56 AM
Okay, for some strange reason, I have decided to play Afro's games...

Why has the Djinn Lord taken so much time and effort?

Which race(s) are most likely to become a Djinn Lord?

What is the most blatantly obvious motivation for a Djinn Lord, whether they be hero or villain?

Is the Djinn Lord going to spend their wealth by level on anything out of the ordinary, and if so what might that be?

afroakuma
2009-02-02, 08:12 AM
Okay, for some strange reason, I have decided to play Afro's games...

Everyone always does. :smallamused:

Why has the Djinn Lord taken so much time and effort?

Because I hated every single concept design placed in front of me ([B]especially] my own) and couldn't determine a way to reconcile such a concept to crunch. Eventually I did, and Zeta and Shadow both drooled over it, so I guess I did something right?

Which race(s) are most likely to become a Djinn Lord?

Human. Sometimes gnoll. Ghul and half-ghul would not be out of the question. Kobold wouldn't be far off.

What is the most blatantly obvious motivation for a Djinn Lord, whether they be hero or villain?

Why, they want wishes, don't they? Of course, what one wants... (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=_0jyKabLHVc)

Is the Djinn Lord going to spend their wealth by level on anything out of the ordinary, and if so what might that be?

At some point in their careers, they'll need to drop a chunk of change on something to hold on to their genie with. Shouldn't be a major expense in the long run, but it will put a divot in the finances at that point in time.

afroakuma
2009-02-04, 12:20 PM
Really? Nobody wants to bug me about the Djinn Lord?

Juhn
2009-02-04, 12:25 PM
Been busy. School is taxing. Will get to it when I get a break.

Reverent-One
2009-02-04, 02:10 PM
Really? Nobody wants to bug me about the Djinn Lord?

Sheesh man, the forums have been down for the past two days, give them a chance to get back online.

Juhn
2009-02-04, 03:24 PM
That's also a good point. I have a hard time getting this site to load even when the forums are up.

Zeta Kai
2009-02-04, 06:45 PM
Anybody have any questions concerning the monsters? I just finished (what I hope to be) all of the monster entries, so if there are any queries, one of us should be able to answer them.

Llama231
2009-02-04, 06:49 PM
Do they become djinns eventually, or something?

afroakuma
2009-02-04, 06:50 PM
Not true, o Tasked one. You owe me one more.

Juhn
2009-02-04, 07:24 PM
I find your usurpation of this project inspiring, afro.

afroakuma
2009-02-04, 07:27 PM
I took levels in Djinn Lord. :smallamused:

shaddy_24
2009-02-04, 08:53 PM
Anybody have any questions concerning the monsters? I just finished (what I hope to be) all of the monster entries, so if there are any queries, one of us should be able to answer them.

Are there still demons, devils, angels, archons, elementals, other kinds of outsiders?

If so, which of the planes are they native to? Do they share the same plane, or are evil and good ones on opposite planes? How do elementals fit in to one plane or the other?

What is a common low level monster? Mid level? High level?

What's the coolest new monster, in each of your oppinions?

Are there a lot of monsters in the monster manuel that won't fit into this system? Any specific examples, or are you keeping that secret?

Can you tell I've been waiting for monsters? I didn't want to bother you with it until you'd finished.

afroakuma
2009-02-04, 09:13 PM
Are there still demons, devils, angels, archons, elementals, other kinds of outsiders?

Most of the above, yes.

If so, which of the planes are they native to?

Outsiders? Najmah. At least, those that are native to any plane. :smallsmile:

Do they share the same plane

I wouldn't call it sharing. :smalltongue:

How do elementals fit in to one plane or the other?

They're around. On both.

What is a common low level monster? Mid level? High level?

Got me.

I'm partial to the samandar, but then I always like high CR superpowered beasties.

Are there a lot of monsters in the monster manuel that won't fit into this system?

Hell yes.

Any specific examples, or are you keeping that secret?

How about a really extensive list?

Aboleth
Beholder
Cloaker
Deinonychus
Ethereal filcher
Formian
Gibbering mouther
Hobgoblin
I don't have one for this letter
Just in case you were wondering, none here either
Kuo-Toa
Leonal
Mind flayer
Nixie
Owlbear
Phantom fungus
Question my logic on not selecting a monster for this letter and you will be beaten
Red slaad
Svirfneblin
Titan
Umber hulk
Very likely there are some for these letters, but I'm simply uncertain at the moment
Worg
Xill
Yrthak
Z is the sort of letter that you can't even make a fun snide comment with

Shadow_Elf
2009-02-04, 10:56 PM

Ho-hum, this one's a toughie. I have to say that the Sarsaok is my favourite though.

Are there a lot of monsters in the monster manuel that won't fit into this system? Any specific examples, or are you keeping that secret?

I know Afro's spoken for the 3.5e MM, but I have to agree that a significant amount of 4e monsters don't fit the setting as-is. A few fluff tweaks and maybe half of the ones that don't fit can fit once again (except, for you know, stuff like Drow, Driders etc.)

Zeta Kai
2009-02-04, 11:18 PM
What's the coolest new monster, in each of your opinions?

Well, I love all my babies, so that's a tough question. If I had to say which HoZ monster is my favorite, then I'd choose the Pahari, because they open up the campaign setting in directions that would otherwise be completely unexplored. And you'll just never guess what they are. Good luck, googlers!

afroakuma
2009-02-04, 11:29 PM
And that picture was just awesome.

Now seriously, someone come bug me about the Djinn Lord.

Athaniar
2009-02-05, 06:06 AM
What, no crocodiles? Then we won't have any Crocodilopolis or Petsuchi. :smallfrown:

afroakuma
2009-02-05, 07:37 AM
That was... a rather bizarre error, since I was aiming for Cloakers.