PDA

View Full Version : BOOM! Headshot.

Jorgo Mono
2009-01-22, 07:45 PM
Not going to go into a lot of detail here, but I have a Resident Evil game I'm running coming up soon (based on the fabulous system hosted right on this very board) and I'm wondering how to implement attacks to certain area, specifically, the Head. Are there any rules in any books that cover this? If so, can you inform me of them, and, if not, could some develop a simple, balanced, way to work them? Earlier in my game, when someone called a head shot, they'd take a -4 to their attack roll, but crit range was boosted to 16-20 (On an only crit on a 20 weapon) But I feel this may be overpowered. Thanks in advance.

Zergrusheddie
2009-01-22, 07:55 PM
We were going to run a Zombie Apocalypse game once, but never went through with it. Here was the DM's idea:

Zombies have an AC of 16 and 45 HP. If you drop all their HP, the body is so damaged they are unable to do you any harm (they become 'twitchers'). If you hit AC 21 or so, you've hit the head. The head has 5 HP and once the head has dropped to 0, the Zombie hits the floor.

It's a little easier than having your players take -4 for such a huge extra crit range. It would make getting criticals more important than surviving, which shouldn't be the case.

Hope this helps.
-Eddie

Fax Celestis
2009-01-22, 08:03 PM
They make what are called target dice or location dice. Usually 12 siders with body parts listed upon them. Lemme see if I can find one... here (http://paizo.com/store/gameAids/dice/byManufacturer/koplow/specialtyDice/v5748btpy7uh6&source=search). Just roll one whenever you hit, and if it says "Head", then, well, you know the rest.

RTGoodman
2009-01-22, 08:30 PM
You could use the 4E rules - instead of being immune to critical hits, any successful critical hit against a zombie automatically destroys it. That's a very easy-to-implement system and doesn't require you to come up with complex "called shot" rules.

That said, I'm a sucker for strange and unique dice, so I like Fax's suggestion of "body dice," too. :smalltongue:

Prometheus
2009-01-22, 09:42 PM
My Vote: Either you give zombies a ton of life and have critical hits destroy them or you make them invulnerable to anything but critical hits.

Ascension
2009-01-22, 11:59 PM
They make what are called target dice or location dice. Usually 12 siders with body parts listed upon them. Lemme see if I can find one... here (http://paizo.com/store/gameAids/dice/byManufacturer/koplow/specialtyDice/v5748btpy7uh6&source=search). Just roll one whenever you hit, and if it says "Head", then, well, you know the rest.

They're also very good for determining what portion of your body to "shake all about" in a Hokey Pokey tournament. I mention this only because I know Hokey Pokey duels are a large part of most D&D settings, and it's nice to be able to cut out the lengthy tables. I never much liked the percentile dice method of Hokey Pokeying anyway. This makes it easy... just 1d12 to determine body part, 1d20 for your Perform (Shake All About) skill check. You can even roll them simultaneously to save time.