PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #624 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2009-01-23, 07:20 AM
New comic is up.

I'm tempting fate putting the strip up during the morning, so don't be surprised if I have to take the message board down in order for people to read it.

Jan Mattys
2009-01-23, 07:21 AM
Go Vaarsuvius!!!

banjo1985
2009-01-23, 07:22 AM
Why do I continue to be amazed at the thousands of uses Bigby's Hand spells can be put to? :smallamused:

PhantomFox
2009-01-23, 07:25 AM
Nice work. Apparently Qarr isn't that good at tempting yet.

Jan Mattys
2009-01-23, 07:25 AM
Wasn't it Bixby in Origin of PCs (if I remember correctly) ?
(when V is kicked off the door by his elven teacher)

There's two mages specialized in hand-spells? :smallbiggrin:

Winged One
2009-01-23, 07:26 AM
*unable to move due to laughter* Nobody can tell a joke about flipping someone the bird quite like the Giant.

Mad Mask
Why is Qarr green ? :smallconfused:

The Giant
Qarr's speech balloon in panel 3 is the wrong color, fixing it shortly...

Supermagle
"Bugsby's" hand? I wonder if Giant is afraid of those pesky lawyers as well? :smallwink:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0065.html

Edhelras
2009-01-23, 07:27 AM
Is it a bug or why did he write "Bugsby"?

Man, I didn't know that hand could do all those things, though....:smallsmile:

Supermagle
2009-01-23, 07:30 AM

Qarr is green because he is "covered with a shimmering emerald field".
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionalanchor.htm

SPoD
2009-01-23, 07:32 AM

Because in Panel #3, Vaarsuvius casts Dimensional Anchor on him, a spell that prevents teleportation (and puts a "shimmering green field" around the subject.) The Giant is obviously showing this by making Qarr green thereafter, so we know he can't teleport.

Leewei
2009-01-23, 07:33 AM
Sadly, Vaar was just indicating the number of friends she had left, including her familiar.

Ancalagon
2009-01-23, 07:37 AM
New comic is up.

I'm tempting fate putting the strip up during the morning, so don't be surprised if I have to take the message board down in order for people to read it.

Comic strip > (message board) * 100,000

So feel free to take it down anytime you want. If it would mean you post a comic every day, you can actually take it down permanently. :)

C-Man
2009-01-23, 07:44 AM
Let's see how long it takes until someone comes up with house rules for "Bugsby's / Bigby's Flicking Finger" and "Bugsby's / Bigby's Expressive Single Digit".

carebearbecky
2009-01-23, 07:45 AM
Well I have to say that wasn't how most people (myself included) was expecting that first encounter to go.

Liking the fact that V used to go invisible to tease Belkar....

Kaytara
Pwn'd.

This is why I love V. :smallbiggrin:

SwordOfUriel
Not to be "That Guy", but in panel 1 I think the proper word would be "complement", not "compliment".

Starknight
2009-01-23, 07:47 AM
What a great way to wake up on a Friday Morning. Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit indeed. :smallbiggrin: Qaar got of very lucky. If he wants to convert/ or partner with V, He will need to start out with the Bait. ("I know why your spells have not worked").

Yendor
2009-01-23, 07:49 AM
It's the hand of a thousand uses!

And frustrating halflings is always fun, too.

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-23, 07:51 AM
Wow. Qarr's really not that good at tempting people. Well, people who absolutely refuse to be distracted.
I love the sound effect that goes with Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit. :smallbiggrin:

Robert Paulson
2009-01-23, 07:57 AM
Hilarious! :smallbiggrin:

Greyskull
2009-01-23, 07:58 AM
"It frustrated a halfling I once knew to no end."

Lol. :D

NotNale
2009-01-23, 08:01 AM
Bugsby's expressive single digit! Awesome.

Why do I think this isn't the last we'll see of the imp?

Oh, and I think there's an error in panel 1: compliment where complement was meant?

Ted The Bug
2009-01-23, 08:01 AM
"And you do NOT want to know what s/he used that hand spell for when s/he was alone!"

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-23, 08:06 AM
I wonder what V's been doing about food? I'm guessing that fishing wouldn't be that preductive unless V has a boat or something which would allow him/her to said out from the island. Whether V feels there's even time to cook things properly is debatable as well.

chiasaur11
2009-01-23, 10:25 PM
So, V is currently "merely" incredibly irritable rather than evil, and still very, very good at (pronoun) skillset.

Good to know.

Lira
2009-01-23, 10:26 PM
Great strip, just what I needed today. :smallbiggrin: I love how V so easily caught and then got rid of Qarr.

DrivinAllNight
2009-01-23, 10:27 PM
I know V doesn't have to sleep, but are their actually rules on hunger in D&D? Unless the hands been doing the fishing? Who knows?

RebelRogue
2009-01-23, 10:29 PM
Good one. Gotta love those Bugby punchlines :smallbiggrin:

JeminiZero
2009-01-23, 10:30 PM
I expecially like the bit on turning invisible to frustrate the halfling.

Which of course implied the regularly halfling followed V into the bushes for a peek. :smalleek:

Of course, given the existence of seperate Male and Female toilets, they might have just tried to figure out which one V went to but I'm guessing that V of course refused to use these and opted for the bushed instead.

RE Food supply: She might just have a ring of sustenance.

Alysar
2009-01-23, 10:31 PM
Ok, Rich, now you're just messing with us? Aren't you? You're knocking down forum theories just for the fun of it, just like the arrow thing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0436.html).

Still funny as hell, though.

Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit *FLIP* BWA! HA! HA! HA!!

Assassin89
2009-01-23, 10:37 PM
Quar's attempt at tempting V has been denied especially since V gave Quar the finger. I doubt that Quar will tempt V unless V says "Yes, leave me alone".
Leave me alone are three words that everyone wishes they could say to telemarketers.

Zolem
2009-01-23, 10:37 PM
Wow, so V's useing Harkle HArpel's Bigsby's Snapping Didgit spell to doink Quar off the island. It's still just as funny as in Passage to Dawn.

Magothys
2009-01-23, 10:38 PM
Very funny. I've noticed a possible graphic error though; the hand has four fingers throughout the comic, but the second to last panel shows five?

Alysar
2009-01-23, 10:41 PM
Very funny. I've noticed a possible graphic error though; the hand has four fingers throughout the comic, but the second to last panel shows five?

Bugsby wasn't too keen on consistency between different spells, apparently.

Roc Ness
2009-01-23, 10:45 PM
I like vaarsuvius even more now

Selene
2009-01-23, 10:51 PM
Ok, now that was truly funny.

Starscream
2009-01-23, 10:52 PM
Love this strip. Love the telemarketer gag, the Expressive Digit spell, and even the revelation if V's bathroom habits. Here's hoping V has it in him/her to keep that devil in his place.

Natural20
2009-01-23, 10:57 PM
Damn that's good. It's like every cast member got an extra dose of sheer awesomeness lately.

Traker
2009-01-23, 11:03 PM
V really needs to get some sleep.

Zevox
2009-01-23, 11:04 PM
Oh, excellent. V handling Quarr so handily was awesome enough on its own, but the invisibility joke and "Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit" were hillarious jokes.

So much for Quarr easily and predictably popping in to "tempt" V somehow. He's still around, but it looks like he's going to need to think outside the usual Devil's MO to get anywhere with V. I look forward to seeing how this unfolds with great expectation.

Zevox

Enlong
2009-01-23, 11:05 PM
Heh. Nice application of Bigby's Middle Digit (http://www.geocities.com/whoisceres2/dndquotes.html)
Nice comic, looks like Qarr has his work cut out for him.

RosesOnConcrete
2009-01-23, 11:07 PM
Bahahaha! V needs a nap (or a solid week of trance, for the purists) but ze is still triple-distilled awesome. Must remember the expressive-single-digit bit for future use.

Bernemer
2009-01-23, 11:20 PM
Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit

Just wondering - that's four words, just like... well...http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html ....

Winged One
2009-01-23, 11:45 PM
Just wondering - that's four words, just like... well...http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html ....

Well, I guess it qualifies for the right 4 words to the right being(it's generally a good idea to tell devils that are trying to tempt you to GTFO, both in alignment and common-sense terms), at the right time(easier to say no if you don't listen to their offer), and for the wrong reasons(that he's bothering V instead of to avoid temptation), but I don't see how a one-off gag, however hilarious(:smallbiggrin:), could result in ultimate arcane power.

hajo
2009-01-23, 11:49 PM
Handsome, and awesome :smallbiggrin:

Considering how many spells were cast, I doubt
that much power is left over for doing research.

Also, I wonder how V transports all his stuff -
all the bags of holding mentioned so far were Haley's :smallconfused:

Alysar
2009-01-23, 11:53 PM

No! Bad Bernemer! We're not going down that road!

::Pelts Bernemer with d30s::

AceOfFools
2009-01-24, 12:00 AM
"My molecules are still attached to my other molecules" might just be my favorite assessment of one's health in comic history.

gamephil
2009-01-24, 12:18 AM
Considering how many spells were cast, I doubt
that much power is left over for doing research.

I count a second, a fourth, a sixth, and two unknown level spells. I'm guessing that the Expressive Finger is a cantrip, the Flicking Finger is maybe a 3rd but possibly lower. Barely scratches the surface of V's power, even if V is 11th.

Also, I wonder how V transports all his stuff -
all the bags of holding mentioned so far were Haley's :smallconfused:

Well, V lacks a lot of the spells that would help with this because of V's prohibited schools, but that doesn't mean V has not purchased some bags or gotten some spells that would allow it.

David Argall
2009-01-24, 12:25 AM

Noooo! We are seeing one of those ideas die from it being at least 4 days since V said those "4" words, and now we get a new version of the same folly?

Of course, we also seem to be seeing the death of the idea that Qarr had any interest in the ship instead of in V. Spending 4-5 days watching him makes it clear Qarr is interested in her, not in Hinjo or his ship.

It does look like it will take several strips for Qarr to sign in blood.

Lunaya
2009-01-24, 12:37 AM
And that, my friends, is why I shall ever remain a Vaarsuvius fan. :smallamused:

Heehee.."expressive single digit". :smallbiggrin:

Boogastreehouse
2009-01-24, 12:37 AM
Alright, I hate it that I am That Guy, but I have to point out that the hand V uses to grab Quaar is a left hand, and it becomes a right hand while it's flicking him away.

I hate it when people are this nit-picky, but this time I just can't seem to help it...

Orzel
2009-01-24, 12:39 AM
Funny stuff.
My wizard already knows those spells under different names.

Sergeantbrother
2009-01-24, 12:45 AM
Alright, I hate it that I am That Guy, but I have to point out that the hand V uses to grab Quaar is a left hand, and it becomes a right hand while it's flicking him away.

I hate it when people are this nit-picky, but this time I just can't seem to help it...

Also, in the bottom middle panel the hand seems to have 4 fingers where as in the others it has only 3. Perhaps the flicking finger hand is different from the grasping hand.

Querzis
2009-01-24, 12:46 AM
I expecially like the bit on turning invisible to frustrate the halfling.

Which of course implied the regularly halfling followed V into the bushes for a peek. :smalleek:

Of course, given the existence of seperate Male and Female toilets, they might have just tried to figure out which one V went to but I'm guessing that V of course refused to use these and opted for the bushed instead.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0087.html

Its not like it happened often since V is half-camel. In fact, I'm kinda surprised it became a habit when V might have had to pee like a dozens times or so since the start of the comic.

Elfey
2009-01-24, 12:47 AM
Noooo! We are seeing one of those ideas die from it being at least 4 days since V said those "4" words, and now we get a new version of the same folly?

Of course, we also seem to be seeing the death of the idea that Qarr had any interest in the ship instead of in V. Spending 4-5 days watching him makes it clear Qarr is interested in her, not in Hinjo or his ship.

It does look like it will take several strips for Qarr to sign in blood.

I don't know, I think those 4 worlds make sense. 'Devil Get behind me' of a sort, and not for noble reasons. But only time will tell, and I'd make an idiot out of myself if I pretended I was sure in any way.

Martok
2009-01-24, 12:53 AM
Another great laugh-out-loud strip, Rich! In the future, I think I'll want all my arcane magic users to possess "Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit".... :smallbiggrin:

kamuishirou
2009-01-24, 01:20 AM
Awesome! V is great. Though I'm not a fan of the overly 'tired' look. The veins are just bothering me a bit. I'm hoping s/he gets some real rest soon.

Covenantwgw
2009-01-24, 01:53 AM
The devil just got owned! I love me some V!

Kish
2009-01-24, 02:05 AM
Just wondering - that's four words, just like... well...
...just like every other time Vaarsuvius has said four words since that prophecy was made.

And if no one on the forum had pointed and said, "Those were the words!" it would have been dramatically different from every other time Vaarsuvius has said four words since the prophecy was made. Really, the prophecy doesn't say "and until such time as this prophecy comes true, your normally excessively verbose speech patterns will be distorted such that you will never speak more than three words together unless they are the four words of this prophecy."

factotum
2009-01-24, 02:44 AM
Besides, I think we pretty much concluded after the LAST massive argument that casting a spell is not saying four words TO anybody, unless it's to the laws of physics to tell them to sit down and shut up! This particular instance is a case in point--presumably "Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit!" is, if anything, a command to the hand spell to make the appropriate gesture. How anyone can assume it's being said to Qarr is beyond me.

Oh, and the people who asked if the Giant is worried about lawyers--almost certainly yes. If you look on the SRD the spell we're discussing is just called Grasping Hand, because the "Bigby's" part is WotC copyrighted and not released to the SRD. Therefore there are potential issues with using it in a work ultimately designed to make money.

One last thing: can I engage smug mode and say that certain theories about Qarr wanting to return to the ship and kill Hinjo are clearly blown out of the water by this strip?

Ricky S
2009-01-24, 03:04 AM
OMG I LOVE V EVEN MORE !!!! lol I hope this means that V will finally be able to finish and then get some rest. Also could you imagine what would happen if this was a real party and V ran off to some abandoned island. How would you DM that? (rhetorical question, well not really but dont answer it)

Majorman
2009-01-24, 03:07 AM
I didn't like V much... until now! That strip was awsome.
"It frustrated a halfling I once knew to no end." :smallbiggrin:
Which reminds me. It seems that V's gender has already become the most pressing qustion of the century. And I found the answer. It's "42". Yeah!:smallbiggrin:

dps
2009-01-24, 03:53 AM
A very funny strip.

Tundar
2009-01-24, 04:17 AM
Bugby's Expressive Single Digit (flip) - that was hillarious!

Great comic, but sad that V is all alone now.

Hamilkar
2009-01-24, 06:08 AM
I simply love V even as s/he is getting a bit mad. Go V! :smallbiggrin:

King of Nowhere
2009-01-24, 06:35 AM
BEST. USE. FOR BIGBY'S HAND. EVER!!!!

it's just me, or V is becoming more awesome every time we see he/she/it?

ref
2009-01-24, 06:48 AM
Oh, excellent. V handling Quarr so handily was awesome enough on its own, but the invisibility joke and "Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit" were hillarious jokes.

Pun intended?

OK, V's back, but man is she annoyed. We'll see where all this takes. And Vaarsuvius owns Belkar once again! Yay!

Myou
2009-01-24, 06:50 AM
That was a great comic (best since the start of the celia arc I'd say). :3

Quarr was very cute for the first time, and V didn't kill him needlessly or anything like that! I like where things are going.

Lokasenna
2009-01-24, 08:17 AM
That was nice.

I can't decide if "a halfing I once knew" means V thinks Belkar(and possibly by extension Haley) is dead, or that so much time has past since they parted company that V refers to him in the past tense.

Veriella
2009-01-24, 09:04 AM
Finally! Some V - time. :vaarsuvius: Funny!

Belkar and V are my favorite characters and I`m glad to see something from V again.:smallsmile:

Kaytara
2009-01-24, 09:11 AM
Yep.^^ Leave it to V to indirectly do a rude hand gesture and do it with style.

Vaarsuvius4181
2009-01-24, 09:37 AM
Bigsby/Bugsby/Bixby,Bigby=WTF??

Pronounceable
2009-01-24, 09:39 AM
V has always been awesome. This is but a drop in the bucket. And surely we'll see much more very soon...

And here's hoping V will NEVER say those four words in the comic and will attain ultimate arcane power after OotS is finished. Just to spite all these forumites. This is getting far too annoying.

Fitzclowningham
2009-01-24, 10:04 AM
I like that V obviously prepared these spells specifically for dealing with the imp.

Azazel
2009-01-24, 11:11 AM
New comic is up.

It worked out fine. No worries.
Thank you for the lovely new spell to memorise and love. :)

Shatteredtower
2009-01-24, 11:31 AM
And here's hoping V will NEVER say those four words in the comic and will attain ultimate arcane power after OotS is finished. Just to spite all these forumites.

I can't see the Giant doing something so pathetic. Besides, we all know the real four words and their recipient:

"Make me a sandwich. " Said to Belkar.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-01-24, 11:50 AM
Nice. V is FAR to smart to accept Qarr's offer. No "I accept your offer" being the four words, at least not now.

Still, Why did V hold Qarr on this plane, if all V wanted was for Qarr to leave him alone? That's kind of contradictory. True, he had to hold Qarr down to deliver the beating, but now Qarr is only a short swim away...

Estelindis
2009-01-24, 11:59 AM
Brilliant strip. V's no-nonsense attitude excludes malicious imps as well as well-meaning friends. It's an equal opportunities annoyance. :smallamused:

Really, the prophecy doesn't say "and until such time as this prophecy comes true, your normally excessively verbose speech patterns will be distorted such that you will never speak more than three words together unless they are the four words of this prophecy."
It would be hilarious if it *had* said that, though. :smallbiggrin:

StingerUT
2009-01-24, 12:05 PM
Brilliant strip. V's no-nonsense attitude excludes malicious imps as well as well-meaning friends. It's an equal opportunities annoyance. :smallamused:

It would be hilarious if it *had* said that, though. :smallbiggrin:

that would make quite some spells impossible to use. no more Bugby (sp?) spells for instance. that would suck indeed

apart from that, great strip, cant wait for the next one.

Kaytara
2009-01-24, 12:05 PM
Nice. V is FAR to smart to accept Qarr's offer. No "I accept your offer" being the four words, at least not now.

Still, Why did V hold Qarr on this plane, if all V wanted was for Qarr to leave him alone? That's kind of contradictory. True, he had to hold Qarr down to deliver the beating, but now Qarr is only a short swim away...

Vaarsuvius made his point pretty clear. He's shown that he's fully capable of dealing with Qarr should the imp attempt to return. The implication is that if the imp returns, he WILL deal with him.
Dismissing or Banishing the imp would've been more permanent, but can be considered overkill if all V wants is for Qarr not to disturb him and if that end is just as easily achieved by intimidation.

SteveDJ
2009-01-24, 12:19 PM
Having not yet read the previous posts in this thread, I'm just going ahead with my comments -- I have a new proposal for V's famous 4 words: "Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit!". :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Having now read the earlier posts, I see that this idea was already mentioned - but it was taken far too seriously. This is a joke, people... :smallsmile:

Janmorel
2009-01-24, 12:31 PM
V continues to be awesome, but I hope the others find hir soon, so the scary "Dark Willow" face can go away. Eep!

David Argall
2009-01-24, 01:15 PM
Bigsby/Bugsby/Bixby,Bigby=WTF??

A serious? reason: Our writer may be worried about copyright laws, which might be violated by use of Bixby.

Less serious: How many of us know the correct spelling without looking it up? Also, the variations may be a rib of the oddities of copyright law.

Why did V hold Qarr on this plane, if all V wanted was for Qarr to leave him alone? That's kind of contradictory. True, he had to hold Qarr down to deliver the beating, but now Qarr is only a short swim away...

V could not be sure of Qarr's intent. While he was likely just a bother, if he merited action, he merited investigation. He did summons Mr. Statue after all.
And if Qarr teleported away, he could teleport back. V wanted him gone permanently, whether in the form of scattered dust or just moving away. Scaring him was unlikely to work for long.
Of course, Qarr is going to try again, maybe with an offer to be V's familiar or helper.

MadScientistMat
2009-01-24, 01:49 PM
Bigby's Expressive Single Digit was funny, but compared to some of the earlier spell subversions, possibly a sign V is starting to slip from a lack of trancing. Then again, it's going to be very hard to top his twist on Evard's Black Tentacles; that one set the bar very high.

hamishspence
2009-01-24, 01:52 PM
R.A. Salvatore did Bigby's Snapping Digits for Harkle Harpell, in Passage to Dawn

Bigby's Insulting Hand is out there on at least one person's list of silly homebrew spell names.

Still, I like to see silly versions of existing spells.

Taekwondodo
2009-01-24, 01:57 PM
:smallbiggrin:Visit BUGSBY'S for all your gesture related spell needs!!!!:smallbiggrin:
:smallbiggrin:(Also useful for grasping and flicking!!):smallbiggrin:
nice one Rich!!

[sWc]Konman
2009-01-24, 05:09 PM
bugsby's expressive single digit. i dont remember that being a core spell! lol

I loved the comic. great job!

Ceric
2009-01-24, 05:30 PM
So is that what s/he's been researching lately? :smallbiggrin:

Rotipher
2009-01-24, 05:57 PM
And if no one on the forum had pointed and said, "Those were the words!" it would have been dramatically different from every other time Vaarsuvius has said four words since the prophecy was made.

:smallsigh:

That prophecy's going to be teasing us for a loooong time, yet. Heck, at this rate I'm half expecting V's predicted statement to be as follows:

The right person at the right time: "So, just what was it you were supposed to say to someone, to win ultimate arcane power?"

V: "The right four words".

ZZZAAAAPPP!

Elan: "Duh-duh-DUH! Hey, V, you're glowing!"

Roc Ness
2009-01-24, 06:55 PM
ZZZAAAAPPP![/I]

That is quite plausible, given how ambiguous the oracle's predictions are. (I still think Elan might die laughing as a "happy ending")

moxproxy
2009-01-24, 06:59 PM
Who said wizards were useless in hand-to-hand combat? :P

Impressive!

itsmeyouidiot
2009-01-24, 07:25 PM
"Bugsby's Single Expressive Digit!"

Heh, it took me a couple seconds to get that one.

At least it wasn't "Chester's Inappropriately Massaging Hand." That one still gives me nightmares.:smalleek:

Vectner
2009-01-24, 07:32 PM
Talk to the hand!

Kilarny
2009-01-24, 08:34 PM
Is the next one ready yet? *bounce*

TheBST
2009-01-24, 08:39 PM
Hmmm.. is it realistically possible (ok, ok for a fantasy comic) for Qarr to be able to get a word in edgeways without being nuked by magic? I mean, V threatened Elan for being a 'distraction', I'm not sure an imp who's tried to kill V is going to get a second chance to make his pitch to him/her.

multilis
2009-01-24, 09:08 PM
Still, Why did V hold Qarr on this plane, if all V wanted was for Qarr to leave him alone? That's kind of contradictory.Warning shot. This way Quar knows at V's mercy, so risky to bother V later.

HUMVEE Driver
2009-01-24, 09:44 PM
So what did Qarr mean by a 'cold call' in the last panel? Or was he trying to say a "close call'?

maxon
2009-01-24, 09:54 PM
So what did Qarr mean by a 'cold call' in the last panel? Or was he trying to say a "close call'?

He meant cold call - as in a marketing person cold calling on a potential customer they've never met before who has probably never even heard of the marketing person's company. Hence the title of the comic. And this does, indeed, mean that Qarr has something to 'sell' V.

Xorbon
2009-01-24, 10:06 PM

"Cold calling is the process of approaching prospective customers or clients, typically via telephone, who were not expecting such an interaction." - Wikipedia: Cold Calling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_calling)

That explains the title of the strip. :smallsmile:

Edit: beat while looking up the reference :smallsigh:

Rakim Avishot
2009-01-24, 10:08 PM
Besides, I think we pretty much concluded after the LAST massive argument that casting a spell is not saying four words TO anybody, unless it's to the laws of physics to tell them to sit down and shut up! This particular instance is a case in point--presumably "Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit!" is, if anything, a command to the hand spell to make the appropriate gesture. How anyone can assume it's being said to Qarr is beyond me.

I thought it was like telling Qarr: "F*** you!", except in four words, at the right time to the right person, and blah blah blah......

amuletts
2009-01-24, 10:34 PM
Dang! I was going to be the first to say that "Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit" was the four word, but the forum was on the fritz. Hmph. I feel so redundant.

HUMVEE Driver
2009-01-24, 10:56 PM
Thanks, maxon and Xorbon!

derfenrirwolv
2009-01-24, 11:16 PM
Hmmm.. is it realistically possible (ok, ok for a fantasy comic) for Qarr to be able to get a word in edgeways without being nuked by magic?

Talking is a free action, and may or may not be able to be said out of turn depending on your houserules. But if qaar wins initiative if can attack and talk at will.

I mean, V threatened Elan for being a 'distraction',

well, that was more to his world saving endevors, rather than his study. And he didn't realy mean it.

I'm not sure an imp who's tried to kill V is going to get a second chance to make his pitch to him/her.

I think the rule of funny will trump the "what would varsuvius do here". I think the imp will get a few funny rejections before being driven off for good, disintigrated, or becomming his familiar/leading him to a dark pact

silvadel
2009-01-24, 11:39 PM
V has some of the most unique spells...

Expressive single digit
Tenticales of forced intrusion
Distant Inferno

At any rate I am sure with V's penchant for spell research (I mean look at all the divination ones already made when that is not V's forte) I am sure there are more lurking there...

V has style.

----

Actually V and Redcloak could probably really get along under different circumstances.

eilandesq
2009-01-24, 11:48 PM
The real question is: should we consider the fact that V. didn't simply vaporize Quarr at the moment he became aware of him as a good sign, or an ominously bad one?

silvadel
2009-01-25, 12:12 AM
Just an efficient one. Why waste spells you dont need to waste.

The imp is just a flea and treated as such.

Prowl
2009-01-25, 12:18 AM
File "Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit" under spells I would like to have in real life...

David Argall
2009-01-25, 01:44 AM
The real question is: should we consider the fact that V. didn't simply vaporize Quarr at the moment he became aware of him as a good sign, or an ominously bad one?

Yes.
Or no.

It probably signals interesting developments.

factotum
2009-01-25, 02:40 AM
Just an efficient one. Why waste spells you dont need to waste.

The imp is just a flea and treated as such.

He used Bugsby's Grasping Hand. Assuming that's the same as the core spell Bigby's Grasping Hand (with the names changed to protect Rich's lawyers :smallbiggrin:), it's a 7th level spell. V only gets one of those per day if he's 13th level (ignoring INT bonuses and the like), so by NOT killing the imp he's arguably used a greater portion of his arcane power than a simple Fireball to the face would have!

Tobimaro
2009-01-25, 02:54 AM
Let's see how long it takes until someone comes up with house rules for "Bugsby's / Bigby's Flicking Finger" and "Bugsby's / Bigby's Expressive Single Digit".

Well, I wanted to create such a spell for a home game some months ago. This would have been a cantrip level spell, if only to annoy some NPCs that we had to deal with. Rather unpleasant sorts, if I remember them.

And I would not be surprised if there were stats for this spell either. (Great minds thinking alike I say.) :smallbiggrin:

Manoftyr
2009-01-25, 03:15 AM
"Bugspy's expressive single digit" *flips*

V is made of win, damn I've missed him/her, him/her and Elan were the only saving graces of the dreadfully boring Azurite Fleet arc, at least imho.

I'm thinking the comic is probably going to segway into team evil for awhile after some time with V and then back to the fleet, which has probably 'or at least I hope' changed significantly by now to either make it a bit more interesting/entertaining or quickly lead to Durkon and Elan heading to Greysky to link up with Haley.

:shrugs: if I'm right, which there is no guarantee I am since this is Rich's comic and he's the mastermind after all, I think we may see a Roy resurrection around the 650s, unless some unforeseen element complicates the entire situation yet another step further for the poor OoTS.

Tashi
2009-01-25, 03:51 AM
Uhh...

What exactly does "expressive single digit" mean ?
English is not my native language and it isnīt even in the dictionary.
Please donīt use slang terms which arenīt described in dictionaries... :smallfrown:

RosesOnConcrete
2009-01-25, 04:16 AM
Uhh...

What exactly does "expressive single digit" mean ?
English is not my native language and it isnīt even in the dictionary.
Please donīt use slang terms which arenīt described in dictionaries... :smallfrown:

The gesture referred to involves facing the palm towards oneself, and lowering all but the middle finger. It's often referred to as "flipping someone off" or "flipping the bird". General meaning is "f*** you".

recluso
2009-01-25, 04:23 AM
Expressive single digit probably summons a giant fist with one digit (finger), the middle one, pointing up. A "F* you".

About V.

S/he is quite patient, waiting 4 days... Would V be lonely (in the Belkar style "I know I kept them around for something"), craving admiration, or bored?

V obviously wasted much more spell slots than killing Quarr would take. I think s/he silently/unconsciously hopes Quarr comes back for more playfulness.

Kaytara
2009-01-25, 05:43 AM
Expressive single digit probably summons a giant fist with one digit (finger), the middle one, pointing up. A "F* you".

About V.

S/he is quite patient, waiting 4 days... Would V be lonely (in the Belkar style "I know I kept them around for something"), craving admiration, or bored?

V obviously wasted much more spell slots than killing Quarr would take. I think s/he silently/unconsciously hopes Quarr comes back for more playfulness.

I don't think Vaarsuvius has any ulterior motives like that.
He did the smart thing. Had he killed Qarr right away upon detecting him, he wouldn't have known what Qarr had been up to, if someone had sent him and whether he should expect more company after vanquishing the imp. Far better to capture and interrogate the imp to make sure he won't cause trouble.

jmucchiello
2009-01-26, 10:45 AM
My home game has Bigby's Rude Gesture back in 1e and from what I understand similar Bigby cantrips were created by many people. Giant's take is only cool because of the name he chose.

ackmondual
2009-01-29, 12:37 AM
Why does V still look sleep deprived?. Is it b/c she didn't go through with a full trance, but just a partial one?

David Argall
2009-01-29, 02:31 AM
V has not tranced in 6-9 months. That is pretty sleep deprived, at least under OOTS rules.