PDA

View Full Version : Spellscale Half-dragon Were-baboon

Dyllan
2009-01-23, 11:17 PM
Okay, one of my players posed a very interesting question... and unless I can answer it in a way he accepts, he's unwilling to play this character.

He's planning to play a Spellscale Half-dragon Battle Sorcerer, and I was planning to infect the entire party with Lycanthropy. But, if I made him into a Spellscale Half-dragon Were-baboon, what would he look like in hybrid form?

If there are any artists out there who could draw one, I'd be VERY appreciative.

-Dyllan

newbDM
2009-01-23, 11:21 PM
Um, that seems like a stuck-up/fussy player.

Ins't that the point of pen & paper games, to use one's imagination?

Iku Rex
2009-01-23, 11:36 PM
(Dragons can't be infected with lycanthropy.)

Dyllan
2009-01-23, 11:37 PM

You may have missed the part where I said I was the DM...

While I wouldn't let a full-dragon be infected with lycanthropy, I have no problem doing it to a half-dragon. Except that we're having trouble visualizing exactly what that would be.

Iku Rex
2009-01-23, 11:51 PM
You may have missed the part where I said I was the DM...No, I got that. I missed the part where you explained that in addition to significantly changing the PCs against the will of the players, you were also changing the agreed upon rules to do it...

Bandededed
2009-01-24, 12:16 AM
No, I got that. I missed the part where you explained that in addition to significantly changing the PCs against the will of the players, you were also changing the agreed upon rules to do it...

Except then you missed the part where he says "we," as in, he and the players; obviously they know about this 'unwilling transformation' and have no problem with it.

Now, I forget exactly what spellscales look like, but I doubt they are quite as hairy as a baboon, or have arms in proportion with a baboons. Or a bright red rear-end. So tack a couple of features your player finds cool about the baboon (if he knows it's a baboon), or whatever you find cool. Have him keep scales in some places, and the wings, etc.

... Make babies cry when he comes around >_<

Lycanthromancer
2009-01-24, 12:17 AM

Well, if both the half-dragon status and the lycanthropy were natural, rather than inflicted...

Iku Rex
2009-01-24, 12:36 AM
Except then you missed the part where he says "we," as in, he and the players; obviously they know about this 'unwilling transformation' and have no problem with it.What?

Dylan is "planning to infect the entire party with Lycanthropy". No mention of "we".

He explicitly states that barring a good answer from him, the player is "unwilling to play the character".

If this is all being discussed during character generation it would probably be better to just tell the players it will be a monkey-freak themed campaign, and to make were-baboon characters from the start.

Lycanthromancer
2009-01-24, 01:06 AM
Why not make him a were dinosaur, rather than a baboon? He should keep the half-dragon template in both forms. (For that insane amount of LA and racial HD, he'd better keep its benefits. :mad:)

Fleshraker would be nice.

He'd more than likely appreciate the awesome factor considerably more.

BobVosh
2009-01-24, 01:13 AM
What color dragon? Acid spitting lizard-baboons for the win. I want a tribe of this now in my game...hmm.

Too bad the only game I'm running is paranoia. Hmm...R&D, eh?

Limos
2009-01-24, 01:32 AM
Ask him what physical traits he gets from being a half dragon. Then apply those traits to the Were-baboon. If he is covered in scales, so is his Hybrid form. If he has wings, so does his hyrbrid form.

The only diffference is now he has a big scary monkey face and a lot more hair. Also his butt is now bright red.

Nohwl
2009-01-24, 01:37 AM
maybe its just the animal he doesnt like. does it have to be baboon? if i had to have a character infected with lyncanthropy i would want something a bit more awesome.

dinosaur doesnt sound too bad. or maybe shark. except you would have to be near water every time you would transform, so that might not be the best idea.

Alleine
2009-01-24, 01:40 AM
Fleshraker would be nice.

I don't think he wants the game balance to be horribly murdered.
:smalltongue:

Lycanthromancer
2009-01-24, 01:58 AM
I don't think he wants the game balance to be horribly murdered.
:smalltongue:

Considering how far behind the character will be due to LA and racial Hit Dice (which tend to be overinflated anyway), there needs to be some sort of compensation.

Alleine
2009-01-24, 02:09 AM
Hmm, good point. I'd still be a little leery of it just because when I look at fleshrakers I get so happy at their efficiency in the realm of reducing things to a fine bloody mist.

Lycanthromancer
2009-01-24, 02:17 AM
Hmm, good point. I'd still be a little leery of it just because when I look at fleshrakers I get so happy at their efficiency in the realm of reducing things to a fine bloody mist.

And any druid or wizard could be one with no problem whatsoever (the druid could even be two if he wanted).

Alleine
2009-01-24, 02:24 AM
Wizards usually have to wait till they get the spell though.

And druids... well there's nothing fair about them.

Lycanthromancer
2009-01-24, 03:04 AM
Wizards usually have to wait till they get the spell though.

Okay, remind me again...what level does a human half-dragon were-fleshraker start being 'playable'? :elan:

And druids... well there's nothing fair about them.

Agreed.

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-24, 03:15 AM
I thought you decided to have him not getting infected to avoid losing caster levels? (Unless he'd still get those as normal.) Making him into a Were Iguana would probably fit better (making him a were dinosaur may be too broken).

Quietus
2009-01-24, 03:22 AM
Why not let him describe it?

Dyllan
2009-01-24, 07:53 AM
Iku Rex - sorry about being a bit short last night. I didn't realize I was coming across that way (but reading it now, I very much was). I need to learn not to post when I'm that tired.

Yes, he knows about the transformation, and has no problems with it except that he can't really visualize it.

And we're still flipflopping on whether he becomes infected. The problem is, I don't know if the other players will be too pleased if he's the only one who doesn't get infected.

I thought about doing a were-dinosaur, but I really need a 1 HD animal so as to have minimal impact on his caster progression. Are there any 1 HD animals?

I'll look into were-iguana... I didn't realize there were stats for an iguana. Or, are you suggesting home brewing it? I could do that.

Edit: Oh, I see. The lizard entry is for small lizards "such as the iguana." But it's 1/2 HD... and tiny. Maybe I should make a dire iguana...

Edit2: Anyone wanna home brew a 1 HD Komodo Dragon for me?

-Dyllan

koldstare
2009-01-24, 08:11 AM
I thought about doing a were-dinosaur, but I really need a 1 HD animal so as to have minimal impact on his caster progression. Are there any 1 HD animals?

He is a caster and he CHOSE the half dragon template...? I understand the unwilling Lycanthrope froml but he actually chose to lose 2 spell levels over all?

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-24, 08:43 AM
I'd recommend just boosing the small lizard stats slightly (I was suggesting Iguana because it would fit his race).

Dyllan
2009-01-24, 09:22 AM
He is a caster and he CHOSE the half dragon template...? I understand the unwilling Lycanthrope froml but he actually chose to lose 2 spell levels over all?

Yes. He likes the theme of it, and he is going Battle Sorcerer so it's not a total waste.

-Dyllan

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-24, 09:25 AM
Now that I think about it, are you allowing LA But-Off? http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm . This could help a lot.

Dyllan
2009-01-24, 10:06 AM
Now that I think about it, are you allowing LA But-Off? http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm . This could help a lot.

I wasn't, but I think I will. Thanks for the link.

Leon
2009-01-24, 10:33 AM

Because there is more to a Character than Spell levels

Yes. He likes the theme of it, and he is going Battle Sorcerer so it's not a total waste.

-Dyllan

Good to hear

Dyllan
2009-01-24, 10:41 AM
So, how's this look as a creature to base his Lycanthrophy on?

http://www.oceanlight.com/lr/full/eb16b54d169166b5fd265e24afd9a60b.jpg

Dire Sungazer Lizard
Small Animal
Hit Dice 1d8 + 4
Initiative +2
Speed 20 ft.
Armor Class: 14 (+1 size, +1 natural, +2 dex), touch 13, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-3
Attack: Bite melee +2 (1d6 + 1)
Full Attack: Bite melee +2 (1d6 + 1), Tail slash melee -3 (1d4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Low light vision
Saves: Fort: +3 Ref: +4 Will: +1
Abilities: Str 12, Dex: 15, Con 12, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2
Skills: Listen +3, Spot +3, Climb +6, Balance +6
Feats: Toughness
CR: 1
Dire Sungazer Lizards get a +4 racial bonus to Climb and Balance

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-24, 03:00 PM
I'm pleased my link was helpful.:smallsmile: I'd say that lizard is a good base creature (it looks quite cute).

Darrin
2009-01-24, 11:44 PM
But, if I made him into a Spellscale Half-dragon Were-baboon, what would he look like in hybrid form?

I have no idea, but his buttocks would be absolutely *RESPLENDENT*. Save or be dazzled.

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-25, 03:18 AM
Wouldn't he still be wearing clothes in his half form, though?:smalleek:

Dyllan
2009-01-25, 11:25 PM
Wouldn't he still be wearing clothes in his half form, though?:smalleek:

You'd be surprised... ran it last night... ended up with a few nude scenes due to uncontrolled lycanthropy. And it turns out the half dragon is rather proud, and has very little sense of modesty.

Also, I had a lot of fun with a Gnoll NPC (the gnolls were the good guys, depending on how you define "good guys," in the adventure) who came upon the party bathing in the lake after waking up nude - trying to get the blood off. This particular Gnoll found the female catfolk rather appealing... had some fun roleplay creeping out that PC.

In the end, we had a Catfolk Were-leopard who doesn't think (in character) that she's infected, and a Goliath Were-Dire Badger and Spellscale Half-Dragon Were-Lizard who both think this is actually pretty cool.

Now they're headed off to desecrate the catacombs of Zodal and see if they can find any other artifacts of divine magic.

-Dyllan

Lycanthromancer
2009-01-25, 11:45 PM
I'm glad everyone's happy with the way things are going. You didn't (exactly) take my suggestion, but I'm glad I helped out anyway.

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-26, 03:29 AM
I always assumed that half forms would mostly be able to stay clothed due to their form not changing that much (apart from their tails being uncomfortable). Admittedly, you could argue that the transformation would be enough to completely destroy their outfits unless they are made of leather or something tougher then that. The lake story illustrates why all Arcane casters should have access to Prestigitation.:smalltongue:

Chromat
2009-01-26, 06:55 AM
Ok, if i assumed correctly you were asking for a picture or a sketch of possible form? If so i can exercise my meager artistic skills :smallbiggrin: to make a sketch or two. Is that ok?

Dyllan
2009-01-26, 08:17 AM
I always assumed that half forms would mostly be able to stay clothed due to their form not changing that much (apart from their tails being uncomfortable). Admittedly, you could argue that the transformation would be enough to completely destroy their outfits unless they are made of leather or something tougher then that. The lake story illustrates why all Arcane casters should have access to Prestigitation.:smalltongue:

The funny thing is, he DOES have prestidigitation... but it never occurred to him to use it.

Chromat - that would be cool, but as I've decided to make him a were-lizard, I don't really need it anymore.

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-26, 08:35 AM
It sounds like the biggest problem here is that you're player doesn't know how to use their spells properly. :smalltongue: I can't wait to see the pictures, Chromat. Good luck with them.:smallsmile:

Dyllan
2009-01-26, 01:29 PM
It sounds like the biggest problem here is that you're player doesn't know how to use their spells properly. :smalltongue: I can't wait to see the pictures, Chromat. Good luck with them.:smallsmile:

Either that, or he wanted to show off in front of the Catfolk (only female in the party).

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-26, 01:32 PM
I wonder what Half Dragon/Catfolk children would look like?:smalleek: Either way, checking that he knows how his spells work could be a good idea (especially when you look at how few spells Battle Sorcerers get).

Dyllan
2009-01-26, 01:57 PM
I wonder what Half Dragon/Catfolk children would look like?:smalleek: Either way, checking that he knows how his spells work could be a good idea (especially when you look at how few spells Battle Sorcerers get).

Oh, we've been playing together for years, and he's DM'ing the other game... I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing. :-)