PDA

View Full Version : Picking feats for a Drow Beguiler? [3.5]

Zenos
2009-01-24, 09:06 AM
So, I am making a character for a War of the Spider Queen-inspired campaign. With lots of drow and 2 free LAs. This is the character (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=104513). Now, my problem is that I am not at all sure of what feats to pick. According to the DM, most sources are avaliable, except ToB. Not that I expect to use ToB for a beguiler.
Myself, I have Core, CAdventurer, CArc, CMag, CWar, Cdivine, CChamp and PHB 2.

Pre-emptive thanks for help given.

EDIT: Oh, and ECL 6.

JeminiZero
2009-01-24, 09:22 AM
EDIT: Oh, and ECL 6.

Is this before or after the LA? At ECL 6, a Drow would be level 4, whereas the sheet lists him as level 6. Never mind.

You don't seem to have assined all your skillpoints yet. If you are going to be the hidey type, get Darkstalker.

There is also feats to add to your spells known to boost reportoire, ranging from the simple Extra Spell known, to feats that grant a small list like Arcane Disciple, Mother Cyst, Air/Earth/Fire/Water/Penumbra/Axiomatic/Anarchic/Celestial/Fiendish Bloodlines.

Zenos
2009-01-24, 09:24 AM
I thought I said we had free LA. So basically LA +2 0 no adjustment, LA +3 = 1 level less...

Where's darkstalker from?

Oh, and how many skill points am I supposed to have then?

JeminiZero
2009-01-24, 09:33 AM
Opps, must have missed it.

Chronos has a nice Skillmonkey Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88715) you may want to read. Darkstalker is from Lords of Madness.

For Skill points, beguilers get 6 per level. Assuming you started with an Int of 20, thats 5 bonus points per level, for a total of 11. 5 beguiler will net you (5+3) x 11 = 88. 1 mindbender gets 2, so another 7 points on level 6. Total should be 95.

If you started with Int of 19, it would be 4 bonus till level 4, and then 5 on level 5 and 6, so minus 7 points from the above figure.

Edit: If you are facing other Drow, do consider Spell Penetration.

Zenos
2009-01-24, 09:37 AM
I don't have Lords of Madness.

And about skillpoints, how many are you saying I am not using? I typically count in terms of skills I can max, then when I have to break down skill points for useless skills I am not using but are required (like, intimidate) I break it up into their component skill points and assign those skillpoints to a skill I want to dip in.

Austran
2009-01-24, 09:39 AM
I would recommend Daylight Adaptation, you never know when you will need to go to the Surface or face a Daylight spell.

JeminiZero
2009-01-24, 09:42 AM
And about skillpoints, how many are you saying I am not using? I typically count in terms of skills I can max, then when I have to break down skill points for useless skills I am not using but are required (like, intimidate) I break it up into their component skill points and assign those skillpoints to a skill I want to dip in.

Hmm... it looks correct now. I must have mistaken some of the 9s for 0s. Dang Mythweaver small font. :smalltongue:

Zenos
2009-01-24, 09:56 AM
Okay, I looked at the guide and chose improved initiative, goes well with my Blooded feat to give me +9 to initiative.

I am still a bit fuzzy about what other feat to take, seeing as I am not very sneaky for a Drow Beguiler, and many of the skillmonkey guides feats listed are for stealth characters.

Keld Denar
2009-01-24, 12:26 PM
Unsettling Enchantment is pretty good for a Beguiler. It imposes some pretty neato penalties against someone when you use enchantments, which is like ~1/3 of your spell list. Its in Complete Mage.

Imp Init is good too, because of Cloaked Casting and whatnot.

Zenos
2009-01-24, 12:37 PM
That unsettling enchantment looks cool. Thanks for the advice you two!

Paul H
2009-01-24, 01:48 PM
Hi

Totally agree with Daylight Adaptation & Sf Enchantment/Unsettling Enchantment combi.

Have got a Beguiler of same level, though I took level of Warlock to go Mystic Theurge. (GM allowed Beguiler to be base class for Changelings in his Eberron campaign).

+19 Search at 7th level? (Beguiler 6/Warlock 1).
CM has Eldritch Essence that grants +6 Search/Spot, plus Comp Langs for written stuff. Lasts 24hrs.

When 5th lvl, Beguiler 'Blurred' up Barbarian & Glitterdusted 2 Giants. One Giant disabled, then used 'Whelm' to knock Giant's AC & attacks down by 2. (Unsettling Enchantment)!

Cheers
Paul H

Bulwer
2009-01-24, 10:07 PM
Since you went with the level in Mindbender (delay, delay, delay, the advanced learning), grab Mindsight. It gives you the ability to know the square and int score of anything with an int score in range of your telepathy.

Leewei
2009-01-25, 08:42 AM
I'm quite the fan of Spell Focus(Enchantment) and Greater Spell Focus(Enchantment). While these only work against a limited number of opponents, getting mind fog to stick to enemies makes practically every other spell you have stick to them as well.

Off topic, I like black karma curse a lot as an Advanced Learning option. I'm fond of popping it off in a fight against brute opponents such as Giants while saying "Why are you hitting yourself?" Chain Spell combined with this at later levels results in hilarity.

If you can find a way to deny a Rogue enemy Dexterity bonus, black karma curse arguably makes them Sneak Attack themselves. The problem is, making them blind invalidates them as a Sneak Attack target, and Improved Dodge negates flat-footed denial of Dex. Paralysis may disallow bkc from working altogether due to the spell's implied requirement of an opponent being capable of hitting itself.

An Extended incite riot can cause a crowd of opponents to tear themselves apart for two rounds. Pop some corn. This also lengthens the woefully short greater invisibility buff.

Zenos
2009-01-25, 08:49 AM
Since you went with the level in Mindbender (delay, delay, delay, the advanced learning), grab Mindsight. It gives you the ability to know the square and int score of anything with an int score in range of your telepathy.

Where's Mindsight from? Sounds like a nice feat, by the way.

Bulwer
2009-01-25, 09:58 AM
Where's Mindsight from? Sounds like a nice feat, by the way.

Lords of Madness page 126.

Zenos
2009-01-25, 11:49 AM
Gah, I need to get LoM. Ah well. I've already picked starting feats.