PDA

View Full Version : Lost Tempers

Avor
2009-01-24, 02:13 PM
Have you ever lost your temper over D&D? Other Players. DMs, anything.

Personaly I've lost it over bad dice, and took it out on the dice. four 1's in a row is too much amd I hurled the d20 across the room. The other time I calmly gather my dice, excused myself from the table, went outside, then hurled my dice into the parking lot, returned to the table and asked if I could use another player's set.

MichielHagen
2009-01-24, 02:30 PM
Have you ever lost your temper over D&D?

Personaly I've lost it over bad dice, and took it out on the dice. four 1's in a row is too much amd I hurled the d20 across the room. The other time I calmly gather my dice, excused myself from the table, went outside, then hurled my dice into the parking lot, returned to the table and asked if I could use another player's set.

It seems to me you take DnD way too serious.

If this would happen to me i would find it amusing and i would try to roleplay a reason why he is fumbling so badly.

Alleine
2009-01-24, 02:43 PM
Have you ever lost your temper over D&D?

That is a silly reaction.
Everyone knows you're supposed to take the die that was rolling badly, put it in the microwave, arrange the others around the front of the microwave so they can see the other, and MELT IT!
The other dice will learn that failure is not tolerated. Mwahaha

I haven't ever lost my temper really. I got angry once in a 4e campaign because I wasn't hitting at all and there was basically only one attack per round which was frustrating, but 4e and I don't agree with each other so we've stopped seeing each other.
Usually I don't get angry, I just get filled with despair when the dice don't favor me. After all, its a lot of work to be angry.

Keld Denar
2009-01-24, 02:45 PM
I've never "punished" my dice, but I have put them on "time out". I believe it gives the die a chance to consider its actions, and how they affect others. When the die comes back into play, it is more willing to cooperate with me and my character, and we generally get along fine.

MCerberus
2009-01-24, 03:03 PM
I had a d20. It was clear plastic with some prismatic glitter stuff and made a distinct sound. It rolled 1's more often than usual, and I used it whenever the PCs were having too easy of a time. (spot checks etc).

My friend owns a sledge hammer.

I no longer have a clear plastic d20.

Artanis
2009-01-24, 04:43 PM
Yes and no. I have ADHD, and one of the symptoms that people like me sometimes have is that we can get rather...uh...grumpy. That's happened a couple times during RPG sessions, so technically I got upset over something in whichever RPG we were playing at the time, but there was a relatively high chance of it happening anyways :smallfrown:

Piedmon_Sama
2009-01-24, 04:45 PM
Once when I was 13, I was in an afterschool gaming group actually run by our school's Spanish Teacher (we were a small school for the "artistic" among the youth population...). My best friend was in it with me, and on one week where I was on vacation or something I let him run my character, a Lizardman Psion (this was 3.0, before the Psionics Handbook came out, so my DM actually custom-fitted a Psionics class for me which was pretty cool of her though I was too much of a brat at the time to appreciate it.) I was really into this character, in fact, and spent a lot of time developing his Lizardman society and then bugging my teacher about it.

So naturally, I was very upset when I came back to find out my friend had made my Psion touch a mysterious box, which teleported him into a locked coffin, and then in trying to "rescue" him my friend's Half-Orc Barbarian lit the coffin on fire. Still, screaming at my friend and chasing him into the hall while threatening to "punch holes in his face with a d4" was probably out of line. T_T

(Now that I think about it, the exact same thing happened a year later when I let the same friend take control of my Fighter for a week. When I came back, both our characters were both trapped in a hollow stone cube, and the campaign ended with them never being rescued. To add insult to injury, our DM told us afterwards the cube was illusory.)

KIDS
2009-01-24, 04:54 PM
Everyone knows you're supposed to take the die that was rolling badly, put it in the microwave, arrange the others around the front of the microwave so they can see the other, and MELT IT!

Can you really melt dice in a microwave? What kind of a power setting would that take? Wouldn't it be dangerous, akin to turning it on while it was empty...? Just curious.

As for the thread, I've lost my temper over DMs or players being "holier than thou" types who constantly accused others of not playing this right, not playing alignments correctly, being powergamers or munchkins or whatever, and in general those people who just couldn't play a damn session without generalizing everything in a highly offending fashion. Over time I've learned how to not explode and instead just poke at it subtly, but those people still offend me a lot.

Alleine
2009-01-24, 05:30 PM
Can you really melt dice in a microwave? What kind of a power setting would that take? Wouldn't it be dangerous, akin to turning it on while it was empty...? Just curious.

I actually have no idea, as I doubt my parents would let me experiment with their microwave. I think you can though, people have mentioned it in a dice superstition thread and a few other places.
It's dangerous to turn on a microwave while empty? :smallconfused:

Tsotha-lanti
2009-01-24, 05:38 PM
I actually have no idea, as I doubt my parents would let me experiment with their microwave. I think you can though, people have mentioned it in a dice superstition thread and a few other places.
It's dangerous to turn on a microwave while empty? :smallconfused:

It probably won't have much of an effect, since most dice are plastic and don't contain significant quantities of water. (It's why you use a plastic cover over foods when microwaving them - it won't get heated.)

And it's not dangerous, but it's not good for the microwave oven, because there's nothing absorbing the microwaves before they hit the magnetron again. (A dice is pretty much the same as nothing, because it is so tiny.)

Prometheus
2009-01-24, 05:44 PM
I had the players of a paladin and a fighter get into a spat over taking each other's party roles (this party also has a monk and a rogue, so there was quite a lot of other melee-ers). It turned out to really be about some issues outside of the game, and they were fine by the next game.

Satyr
2009-01-24, 06:33 PM
I was once involved in a major battle about a roleplaying game; it wasn't D&D, but that's not important.

In the game, we had two characters who had started on the wrong foot. One of them, the party's intellectual was a priest of the setting's god of rightousness, law, sun, justice and the inquisition, one of the most authoritarian and therefore among players most unpopular cults in the game, the other character was a young hedonist rogue, who was in truth an incognito witch.
The priest and the swashbuckler argued while I was mastering the game; at one situation, the group came to the consent, that skill rolls on social skills were completely sufficient and did not needed to be roleplayed; I was against it but the majority - including the witch - was in favor of this rule.
Now, after a longer argument about what to do with some captured bandits (all of thev group with one exception were in favor of bringin them to the local noble, who should judge about them, the witch instead wanted to kill them, so they were no trouble anymore), the witch casted a sleep spell on the priest and cut the throat of the captives while the rest of the group were asleep.
On the next day, the priest decided that this was wrong and took the young witch for a lecture. More out of fun he meant that he tried to convert her by showing her the greatness of his god's way, rolled for his skill on this - and succeeded marvelously. In the rules we used, a magificient succes is absolutely rare. It is roling three natural 20's in a row, and I have seen it happen exactly three times. So, according to the rule, the witch was now converted - which lead to a fit from the player. She screamed at us - me and the priest's player - we would try to ruin her character and that it was completely intolerable that a palyer character's actions were controled by anyone else but the player, and then she stormed out.

The next day, I tried to get the group back together for a discussion about it; so we met in our favorite bar and tried to discuss it. The player of the witch came a bit late, so that we others had already talked about it a bit and came unisono to the opinion that she was using an enormous double-standard and was slightly annoying. When she came to the discussion, she screamed at the priest's player almost immediately and shouted several times - in a public place that he "tried to rape her character" and later and even louder "you tried to rape me." In a public place. Over a roleplaying character.
And then I got angry.

only1doug
2009-01-24, 07:22 PM
My wild dice for a star wars (WEG) game took a long jump off a short fire escape exit after consistently rolling 1's.

a player and i clashed over his wardrobe malfunction.

imagine a man who looks much like gollum (from lord of the rings), but dresses like a teenage girl (he's in his 50's and wearing clothes 2 sizes to small for him).

Normally i tolerated him, even with his lack of RP skills (and i do mean complete lack of any ability to give his character any... well character really) but when he sat opposite me one week in a fluorescent green t-shirt that left his belly exposed (as in: an inch too short to meet his trousers) I felt it impolite not to remark upon his wardrobe.

He was un-impressed with my sartorial advice and suggested that i should keep my opinions to myself, I replied that i would be glad to if he would just stop attacking my eyes.
He said that he didn't come here to be insulted and i answered that he should choose his clothing more carefully if he was sensitive about criticism.
He remarked that I wouldn't enjoy being insulted in a place where i go to relax, I recounted the years of comments I have received in that very establishment from other patrons. He left.

In e-mail we continued the discussion, he asked me to be more tolerant in future and i replied that I would be happy to as long as he also mended his ways slightly and just avoided bright colours.

I never saw him again.

skywalker
2009-01-24, 11:08 PM
I was once involved in a major battle about a roleplaying game; it wasn't D&D, but that's not important.

In the game, we had two characters who had started on the wrong foot. One of them, the party's intellectual was a priest of the setting's god of rightousness, law, sun, justice and the inquisition, one of the most authoritarian and therefore among players most unpopular cults in the game, the other character was a young hedonist rogue, who was in truth an incognito witch.
The priest and the swashbuckler argued while I was mastering the game; at one situation, the group came to the consent, that skill rolls on social skills were completely sufficient and did not needed to be roleplayed; I was against it but the majority - including the witch - was in favor of this rule.
Now, after a longer argument about what to do with some captured bandits (all of thev group with one exception were in favor of bringin them to the local noble, who should judge about them, the witch instead wanted to kill them, so they were no trouble anymore), the witch casted a sleep spell on the priest and cut the throat of the captives while the rest of the group were asleep.
On the next day, the priest decided that this was wrong and took the young witch for a lecture. More out of fun he meant that he tried to convert her by showing her the greatness of his god's way, rolled for his skill on this - and succeeded marvelously. In the rules we used, a magificient succes is absolutely rare. It is roling three natural 20's in a row, and I have seen it happen exactly three times. So, according to the rule, the witch was now converted - which lead to a fit from the player. She screamed at us - me and the priest's player - we would try to ruin her character and that it was completely intolerable that a palyer character's actions were controled by anyone else but the player, and then she stormed out.

There was really no good way for that to end. I agree with her, you cannot force "conversion" on her. If her character is being forced in a direction she doesn't want to go, she has every right to leave. That's not a double standard. That's standing up for your own roleplaying. I think the whole thing should've been dealt with sooner, tho.

Anyway, I have nearly gotten into fisticuffs before over D&D. Admittedly, there were some outside issues, but the DM and I got into an argument over me using some language at the table that he apparently wasn't comfortable with. I'm not sure what ended it, but I do know that after that night, we didn't play D&D together for a very long time.

Knaight
2009-01-24, 11:46 PM
There was really no good way for that to end. I agree with her, you cannot force "conversion" on her. If her character is being forced in a direction she doesn't want to go, she has every right to leave. That's not a double standard. That's standing up for your own roleplaying. I think the whole thing should've been dealt with sooner, tho.

Honestly, its the second part that bothers me, sure the guy playing the priest was a bit off in game, but her reaction was just out of line, and for that matter illegal (slander). Not to mention extremely immature.

I'm lucky enough to not really have much. Someone threw my dice once, after rolling two -3s in a row. This is in a dice system that goes from -3 to +3, on a parabolic curve, where -3 has a 1/27 chance of happening. We just collected them up afterwards, although one of them was hard to find, and removed the players Fudge Dice(+, -, blank dice, a bit hard to find) privileges and just had them use easily replaceable d6 dice. And there was a lot of screaming over a Cities and Knights of Catan game, due to the duplicity element involved in the game(its not quite Diplomacy, but its close), and it being really, really effective. Same person.

cupkeyk
2009-01-24, 11:51 PM
Before I read the other posts, I'll tell our story first.

We had a surge of players for a VtM campaign one time, I think 14 players. Everybody was basically just doing their own thing, letting the storyteller lead us along.

The story teller, however, at the third session, posted a table on the club's board, A list of all the players characters ranked by power. The number 1 guy was a city gangrel, a lasombra antitribu, then myself a brujah brawler, then a nossy brawler. The nossy brawler, true to his nossiness approached me and the lasombra to start a coterie and the two of us agreed. we approached the city gangrel and threatened him to join our coterie. Just because he was first in the ranking, doesn't mean he can face ranks, two three and four at the same time. At this point, rank five, who was a giovanni ritualist with a wraith, had already joined our coterie. We agreed to let him join. Then another brujah who was ranked at 7 started getting pissed off so he and a bunch of toeradors banded the rest of the vampires into their own coterie. The Nossie and the brujah were shouting it out in a coterie rivalrie war and eventually the game split into two where the two rival factions would only occassionally meet to thwart each other's plans.

This was all masterminded by the storyteller, who thought that a fourteen player group was too big but two rivalling smaller groups would be twice as fun. Stroke of Genius.

Kaolins
2009-01-25, 12:57 AM
While I have never directly lost my temper in relation with DnD, (I choose who I play with, and if I choose to play with a group I don't know, for example; a group from the PBP boards, I tend to to allow far more leniency then I would in any real situation.) I -have- gotten upset to a discomforting factor several times.

Like anyone, I detest rolling horribly over and over. Let's face it, few people develop purposefully -bad- characters. Players in the fantasy world trying to be uncool, who never miss, and generally we as players tend to think of our characters as slightly more B.A. then they really are. So it turns our cranks when our Epic Tier Warlord who should be in control of small armies... Misses an attack several times over.

I DM far more then I play, something that kinda breaks my heart, but the real reason for that is I come from a not-so-large community and the gaming pool to draw from isn't exactly perfect. Our group, although we love the game, doesn't have a lot of "DM-friendly" people.
That said, when it is time for someone else to DM, their choices can either irritate or infuriate me.

Example: Running a fresh group of 4E characters from level 1, a DM of ours, fairly new, choose to not really come up with any material beforehand. Not a big deal, but he made some horrible choices in encounter groups. We spent a bit of time dealing with 200xp (Tops) Encounters, and when he decided those were way too easy, we concluded with a 2,000xp encounter, all monsters on a flat playing field. Not very fun.

Example2: Later on in the same adventure, we had a quest to free a prisoner in a Bugbear encampment. Not very original, but it was fun... Until we had explored the place through and through and not found her. The party decides to go back to town and explain this to our employer, but before we go, the DM tells us "No no, she's here. Look harder"

Turns out she was behind a secret door, in a hallway in the middle of the 'dungeon', that required our Elf to get 19+ on his perception roll to see.

Not 'cause the Elf had the highest perception, but because ONLY he could see the glyphs on the wall.

DM made us search and roll in every room. Several times. We got bored and frustrated quickly. :/

And as a DM? I've gotten upset over a few things.

Our transition to 4E was a bit hellish. Our group of 7 (Me, 6 players) should have been able to get it quite quickly you'd think... 7 PHB's there, my DMG, and a MM. I had an adventure ready and everything, granted it was TKOS, but hey.

Only 2 of the 6 had written up characters before the game... (They had two weeks) and the other 4 had barely touched their books. We took almost the whole session writing up their character sheets. And even before we started, we still had to order and eat Pizza. >_<

LATER in that same game, the Penny-Arcade nut in the group, who had listened to all the Podcasts already (Although I'd asked the group to try to avoid them...) decided to point out almost everything he remembered, from traps to character names and such. It was rather frustrating.

tl;dr - Nothing that made me lose my cool in a funny fashion, but a lot of small story-esque situations that anyone would find upsetting.

xanaphia
2009-01-25, 01:05 AM
One time a guy in my group, when I was DMing, said "Who votes I take over as DM?"

I didn't become his friend.

skywalker
2009-01-25, 01:53 AM
Honestly, its the second part that bothers me, sure the guy playing the priest was a bit off in game, but her reaction was just out of line, and for that matter illegal (slander). Not to mention extremely immature. Yes, the second paragraph was incredibly different. Totally not cool on her part. But the whole situation should've been avoided. I should've made my self more clear.

I'm lucky enough to not really have much. Someone threw my dice once, after rolling two -3s in a row. This is in a dice system that goes from -3 to +3, on a parabolic curve, where -3 has a 1/27 chance of happening. We just collected them up afterwards, although one of them was hard to find, and removed the players Fudge Dice(+, -, blank dice, a bit hard to find) privileges and just had them use easily replaceable d6 dice. And there was a lot of screaming over a Cities and Knights of Catan game, due to the duplicity element involved in the game(its not quite Diplomacy, but its close), and it being really, really effective. Same person.

I've never seen the reason to even own Fudge dice... Altho it makes me think of dice made of fudge... I can think of a reason to own those. Mmm, fudge...

Anyway, I'm curious what duplicity was involved in Cities and Knights? I mean, beyond the normal "you don't know what my cards are, I don't know what yours are" stuff? I actually find Cities and Knights less duplicitous than normal Catan, because you have to turn over Victory Point cards as soon as you get them... Altho it does kinda suck to have someone else win moments before you were about to enact your glorious, 6 VP maneuver for victory.

LATER in that same game, the Penny-Arcade nut in the group, who had listened to all the Podcasts already (Although I'd asked the group to try to avoid them...) decided to point out almost everything he remembered, from traps to character names and such. It was rather frustrating.

See, that is frustrating, except there is something even more frustrating: There are no traps in KOTS, except for the obvious ones.

Avor
2009-01-25, 03:03 AM
That is a silly reaction.
The other dice will learn that failure is not tolerated. Mwahaha

I know what my problem is, I betrayed my original dice. They were put in storage two years ago, and I haven't rolled decent since.

So naturally, I was very upset when I came back to find out my friend had made my Psion touch a mysterious box, which teleported him into a locked coffin, and then in trying to "rescue" him my friend's Half-Orc Barbarian lit the coffin on fire. Still, screaming at my friend and chasing him into the hall while threatening to "punch holes in his face with a d4" was probably out of line. T_T

That's why I like DMs who controll away PCs, or say something like "Fighter bob disapears in a puff of green smoke" and then the next time the player is back, he magicly appears in the exact same fashon.

Turns out she was behind a secret door, in a hallway in the middle of the 'dungeon', that required our Elf to get 19+ on his perception roll to see.

Not 'cause the Elf had the highest perception, but because ONLY he could see the glyphs on the wall.

DM made us search and roll in every room. Several times. We got bored and frustrated quickly. :/

Your DM didn't allow you to just take a 20, look all day untill you find it?

Satyr
2009-01-25, 05:53 AM

The problem is, that it was absolutely no problem for her, to constantly enchant the other player characters, and the only reason why she didn't put a geas on everyone was that she wasn't good enough in that specific spell. I have no problem to play in a group where every player character is sacrosanct. I have also no problems with the other side, where characters are only pawns and chewtoys of fate, even though I am slightly prefering something inbetween these extremes.
The group had beforehand discussed what kind of style it wanted to follow; and had agreed on most of the stuff before it ever happened. Normally, I wouldn't try to enforce those rules either, but magnificient successes are so extremely rare in the game, that I felt that ignoring it would be cheating the priest for his throwning moment of glory. That wouldn't have been fair, either.

I have a problem with people who gleefully try to backstab or control the other PC's regularly, but starting to break the game as soon as anything bad happens to them. That is tolerable with a five year old kid who loses a board game, but more or less adult persons should stand above this.

AslanCross
2009-01-25, 06:17 AM
I think the worst temper losses at my table happen not due to bad luck, but bad player interaction.

I used to run two groups in parallel instances of the same campaign. One is still running now, but another fell apart very quickly due to one player in particular who had a very good idea of what she wanted her character to be---but didn't bother to look up rules, spells, or learn how to actually build her character. (She was playing a sorcerer) She didn't even choose any feats, skills, spells or languages until DURING the session itself.

It blew up when this happened:

The party was clearing a platoon of hobgoblins that had mysteriously taken hold of a border garrison that belonged to the kingdom they were in (Cormyr in FR). As it turns out, they cleared out the ground floor pretty quickly, so that the troops on the upper floors had failed to notice the intrusion.

They decided to take a detour and try to loot the place for treasure first, and came up to a locked door.

Problem: No rogue in the party.
Potential Solution: Sorcerer has some cross-classed ranks in Open Lock.
Problem 2: She doesn't tell anyone that she can do it.
Potential Solution 2: The monk, having the highest strength, decides to bust the door down.

He rolls, and smashes it with a natural 20---and the sound echoes down the hallway and up the stairwell, to the guys on the second floor.

In three rounds, the party is trapped inside the treasure room (it was an armory), pinned down by a hobgoblin cleric and three fighters. They manage to win after a few tense rounds due to their tactical disadvantage, and all would be well except all of a sudden, the sorcerer's player (OOC) says that she allowed them to break down the door because she wanted to manipulate them into smashing the door.

Everyone then yells "YOU HAD OPEN LOCK?!?!" and the ranger, in particular, stands up, yells louder than everyone else, and storms out.
After talking to the players afterwards, I found that people got angrier that she wasn't willing to be a team player, and her lack of grasp of the rules made her useless in-game.

She did apologize, but the game didn't last much longer after that. (My own excuse was that it was taking up too much time for me to run two groups.)

Chrono22
2009-01-25, 06:37 AM
If by lose your temper, you mean "insult the other party in an argument" then I've been doing it on a regular basis with a friend of mine for years. I can only think of two instances where I was truly angry, though.
In one, it was the culmination of an hour and a half argument with said friend for why it is impossible to retroactively change your initiative after you've taken your turn in a round (he was citing some obscure rokugan supplement).

The other time, I was much more serious. I'd spent two weeks making a character for this guy's campaign (which he said he was excited to run). I assumed he put alot of effort into his campaign, so I was enthusiastic when we started. He had all of us start in front of the entrance to a ruined temple. He essentially told us "you know there is a hydra at the end, and a bunch of treasure". He didn't ask us who our characters were, or how or why we got there. So, my rogue decides to try to walk the perimeter of the temple (along with some others) to see if there are any alternate entrances or exits. The DM flat out tells us we can't. Nevermind the temple is aboveground, with no apparent obstacles to searching the exterior.
I let it slide, but ask if the roof is intact. The DM says it is. I then attempt to use a grappling hook to access the roof. I explain my plan to the party- "we know the hydra is at the other end of this temple. We can bypass many of the dangers of this temple if we simply walk to the other end, make a hole, and shoot it to death." He called that metagaming (despite telling us earlier that our characters know both the monster and its approximate location in the dungeon...)
Once again, I defer to him, and the party as a group enter the dungeon. The door leads to a hallway which splits in two directions ahead. Instead of allowing the party to choose which direction to go, he flips a coin, refers to his notes, and has us move forward. We come to another split. He repeats this process several times, with no input from the party, and no apparent result. When I asked him if I could map our progress (as my character had both ink and parchment) he told me to stop being disruptive.
At that point, I told the DM he was a d*** and a ****ty DM and walked out.

Studoku
2009-01-25, 06:53 AM
I haven't lost my temper, although I have put a die in a time out box before. It failed 3 saves, then rolled a 19 when I threw it across the room in annoyance.

Someday, I plan to drill a hole it and wear it as a pendant.

toddex
2009-01-25, 07:08 AM

Anyway, I have nearly gotten into fisticuffs before over D&D. Admittedly, there were some outside issues, but the DM and I got into an argument over me using some language at the table that he apparently wasn't comfortable with. I'm not sure what ended it, but I do know that after that night, we didn't play D&D together for a very long time.

Well she had AGREED and even was FOR these happening so its her own fault lmfao.

To satyr I really hope that woman was never involved in another game with your group again.

KKL
2009-01-25, 07:40 AM
And then I got angry.
And that folks, is how the comic book line The Incredible Satyr was made and discontinued in the span of thirty seconds.

I don't quite have the terrible experiences here because I mainly play IRC. But this one time I threw a huge massive b****fit over what basically amounted to an IRC typo, a string of bad dice from a dicebot, and my own headache due to the entire world being too goddamn loud. Lasted forever and once I was done venting I quit all communication with the group...and then returned in 10 minutes after one of the players rectified the error with diplomacy.

I admit, I can lose my temper at the drop of a hat but I can't maintain the actual rage for any significant amount of time.

I make a terrible barbarian.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-01-25, 07:45 AM
A player in the group I DM for once pulled a KNIFE on another player, for reasons I cannot remember. Thankfully I was able to defuse the situation before things got out of hand, (Well, more than they already had) but that incident has definitely stuck in our minds.

Saph
2009-01-25, 07:52 AM
I admit, I can lose my temper at the drop of a hat but I can't maintain the actual rage for any significant amount of time.

I make a terrible barbarian.

Clearly you need the Extend Rage feat. :P

There was really no good way for that to end. I agree with her, you cannot force "conversion" on her. If her character is being forced in a direction she doesn't want to go, she has every right to leave. That's not a double standard. That's standing up for your own roleplaying.

I think the point was that she was fine with forcing other players in a direction they didn't want to go in, then threw a fit when the same happened to her. At least, that was my impression from the story.

I'm completely on Satyr's side on this one. I've seen lots of players like this: they expect the exact letter of the rules to be enforced when it's to their advantage, but then expect the rules to be waived whenever it would mean anything seriously inconvenient for them. And then when you don't, they get angry. Very exhausting to DM for.

I had a case of this a few months back. One of the players in my game was being difficult (actually, with hindsight I think it was another player who was the motivating force, but that's another story). Every time anything happened in the game that didn't go the party's way, he'd cut in with a tone of outrage:

"What? How can they be alive? I just hit them with a fireball!"
(Looking over at my attack roll) "He's got a plus ten to hit?" (Said in a tone of angry suspicion.)
"That monster can't do that!" (pulls out the Monster Manual)

The final straw was when he cast a magic missile spell at the enemy spellcaster.

Me: "Your missiles impact on an invisible barrier in front of the bugbear. You recognise it as a shield spell-"
Player: "Oh, shield! Can I change my action?"
Me: "No. Next initiative is-"
Player: "But I heard him casting shield before!"
Me: "Yes."
Player: "So I would have known about it. I would have done something different."
Me: "I told you about it. You forgot."
Player: "My character wouldn't forget something like that! He's got a 19 Intelligence!"
Me: "No. You forgot, your character forgot."
Player: (raising his voice to a near-shout) "Okay, FINE! So my character does something COMPLETELY STUPID! Even though there's NO WAY he'd do it, but he ACTS LIKE A TOTAL IDIOT because he CAN'T REMEMBER THE SIMPLEST THINGS!"

(Conversation in the room stops dead for a moment as everyone else playing other games turns around to look at us. There's an uncomfortable silence for several seconds.)

That was probably the closest I've come to really losing my temper in a game. I managed to keep it under control until the end of the session, at which point I took the player aside for a private talk.

- Saph

Satyr
2009-01-25, 08:51 AM
And that folks, is how the comic book line The Incredible Satyr was made and discontinued in the span of thirty seconds.

I am not sure that I understand what you mean.

RavKal
2009-01-25, 04:13 PM
A player in the group I DM for once pulled a KNIFE on another player, for reasons I cannot remember. Thankfully I was able to defuse the situation before things got out of hand, (Well, more than they already had) but that incident has definitely stuck in our minds.

Ah, reminds me of this time that one of my players brought this big bowie knife for no reason and used it for gestures and moving his mini, despite being told to 'Stop waving that ****ing knife around!'

As for actually losing my temper, I blew up on a fellow player and our DM during character creation, because the player wanted to use his own custom-made race (Anthro :smallfurious:) And the DM was fine with it. So his stats at level 1 were 18/16/18/15/16/15. And then he put a leather trench-coat into his inventory that had +7 AC and max dex +4. And an ancestral claymore (which he didn't have proficiency with) that had a 10' range. And the DM was fine with it. Said player was also the knife-waving maniac.

Heliomance
2009-01-26, 06:33 AM
Only once. One of the other players in the group is a LARPer, and she kept on throwing those little cloth packets that represent spells at me whenever I did something she didn't like, or she wanted me to shut up, or whatever. After a few sessions like this I snapped, hurled one back at her, and yelled to stop it. The DM sent me out of the room for five minutes, but she stopped throwing the balls at me.

KKL
2009-01-27, 08:25 AM
I am not sure that I understand what you mean.

You know, The Incredible Hulk?

I was referring to the line where you said "And then I got angry."

kjones
2009-01-27, 01:19 PM
Once upon a time, I was playing an antisocial character in a d20 modern campaign. My character had something of an ongoing rivalry with the boy-scout-ish member of the party.

At one point, while he was unconscious, I made a Sleight of Hand check to make it look like I was using First Aid when I was actually stealing his signature weapon. I didn't plan to keep it - I just wanted to taunt him for a bit. But I got spotted, and they made me give it back, to her chagrin.

Later on, as revenge for having to give back what I rightfully stole, I attempted to trip him while we were over a pit of lava. I failed, due to the judicious use of action dice. Maybe not the best of ideas on my part, and I was kind of being a jerk, but...

At this point, the other player jumped on me from behind and put me in a chokehold. I reacted by flipping her over my shoulder and onto the table.

The campaign ended after that.

I guess I didn't actually lose my temper - I did it out of reflex, not because I was angry - but it's the only time for me when in-game violence has ever led to real, physical violence.

Knaight
2009-01-27, 06:03 PM
I've never seen the reason to even own Fudge dice... Altho it makes me think of dice made of fudge... I can think of a reason to own those. Mmm, fudge...

Anyway, I'm curious what duplicity was involved in Cities and Knights? I mean, beyond the normal "you don't know what my cards are, I don't know what yours are" stuff? I actually find Cities and Knights less duplicitous than normal Catan, because you have to turn over Victory Point cards as soon as you get them... Altho it does kinda suck to have someone else win moments before you were about to enact your glorious, 6 VP maneuver for victory.

On Fudge Dice: Our group plays Fudge something like 98% of the time, and one of my players was having issues with the whole 1-2 is -1, 3-4 is blank, and 5-6 is +1, dice were getting rolled in together, and were all the same color, etc. etc. and eventually I just decided to spring for the GM pack. Short answer: They make Fudge, our favored system, slightly faster and easier.

On Settlers of Catan. It involved two players(Including myself) conspiring to keep the amount of knights just short of the necessary amount to defend Catan, after taking trades that were very oddly worded involving promising to build knights for defense, which took knight building resources away from one player causing them to lose two cities. Kind of mean, but most people I play with like this style, it keeps you on your toes. The player who lost two cities just blew up, which they have a habit of doing over games(the same guy threw my dice).