PDA

View Full Version : Tips for running an Oracle

Ing
2006-10-08, 08:31 PM
In my Greek themed game I am dispointed with my first attempt to do the Delphi Oracle....it came out rather comical...

Does anyone have any sugestions for running a priest or sort of thing well?

SilveryCord
2006-10-08, 08:42 PM
Ironically, the solution is basically very similar to a professional negotiation. (Further info from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negotiations)
Phase 1: Before the Negotiation (Before you play)
Step 1: Preparing and Planning: Think the character out. How would she respond to basic events or happenings? What are her opinions on topics? Take some notes for your own reference, you'll forget easily when you're in the middle of a game.
Phase 2: During the Negotiation
Step 2: Setting the Tone: Use your notes about her opinions and reactions to set a tone. Perhaps when the players come to visit your Oracle, she's doing something peculiar that describes an aspect of her character. (Someone organized would be house cleaning, etc.)
Step 3: Exploring Underlying Needs: Listen for facts and reasons behind the other party's position, and have the oracle kind of be resistant to helping them. Don't have her say too much. You want to have set the tone for her so they already have an idea of her, don't set that idea in stone just yet. Don't give away too much.
Step 4: Think creatively to solve the conflict between the oracle and the party. What does she want? What do they want? Think of an acceptable exchange for her services/whatever.
Step 5: Finish it up. Have the Oracle make them sign something in blood if they're trying to get her to do something serious. Then they'll realize that there is something moofie/powerful about her.
Phase 3
Step 6: You're done! Think about how things went and how you can improve.

Beldak
2006-10-08, 09:37 PM
I would also make a parable to be the bulk of your advice to the players. For instance, in the story of Jason and Media the oracle of Delphi tells the king of Athens, "Do not unloose the wineskin's hangingfoot before you go again to the hearth of your father." The king of course was after the answer to why he couldn't seem to father an Heir, but the message was completly unrelated, and a warning. Unloosing the wineskin was a common day practice for swearing oaths, which the king didn't understand in time and swore Media a safe haven in Athens.

Bad move. . .

It dosen't have to be this complicated, but I would definitly give them something they aren't going to understand right away. If the oracle is quiet and contemplative up till her one line for the PC's it will make it more thought provoking when she finally gives the line.