PDA

View Full Version : Druids and divine metamagic?

toddex
2009-01-24, 08:04 PM
Could a druid who took the variant where they gain the ability to turn or rebuke elementals, could he use divine metamagic?

monty
2009-01-24, 08:08 PM
From Complete Divine:

Divine Metamagic
Prerequisite: Ability to turn undead or rebuke undead.
Emphasis mine. So, no.

MammonAzrael
2009-01-24, 08:19 PM
Well, that was...efficient. I dunno, I guess I just feel like this thread deserves at least one more post. :smalltongue:

monty
2009-01-24, 08:27 PM
That's why you'd usually use the Simple Q&A thread for something like this.

Quick! Someone go off on a tangent from one of our posts so we have something to talk about!

Collin152
2009-01-24, 08:42 PM
What is this elemental rebuking variant? What do you give up for it?
Sufficient?

MisterSaturnine
2009-01-24, 10:15 PM
And you know, it would make sense to let turning or rebuking elementals to count for turning or rebuking undead. Or you could then replace elementals with undead. Neither options are RAW, but they're both pretty intuitive, I think.

The Glyphstone
2009-01-24, 10:22 PM
You could just dip one level in Divine Exorcist - it costs you a grand total of 1HD off your maximum Wildshape, since the animal companion is the same for a Druid 19 and a Druid 20, and it advances spellcasting.

Keld Denar
2009-01-24, 10:42 PM
Divine Exorcist

Clarification, that Sacred Exorcist from Complete Divine, and I don't think druids can qualify, since they gain neither Dissmissal nor Holy Smite as spells.

They also can't take Arcane Disciple, since they don't cast arcane spells.

So...some other way would be needed to add one of those 2 spells to your list. Extra Spell has been FAQed not to allow it as well.

I do remember a way, through casting a spell, a druid can gain TU for a short period of time, but under the rules, I guess you could use the ability to cast that spell for divine feats, especially DMM: Persist, because you could cast the spell, burn all of the TU attempts, and after it ends, you would still have the Persisted spells on you. I can't for the life of me remember the name of that spell though, though if someone searches the CharOp boards, I'd assume you could find it there. This method is highly cheezy though, I guess.

Animefunkmaster
2009-01-24, 10:54 PM
Cleric dip anyone? You lose the same thing, except you don't have prereqs.

The Glyphstone
2009-01-24, 11:37 PM
Clarification, that Sacred Exorcist from Complete Divine, and I don't think druids can qualify, since they gain neither Dissmissal nor Holy Smite as spells.

My bad, you're right. I guess a 1-level dip in Cleric will have the same overall effect, though this time it costs a level of spellcasting in addition to the Wildshape reduction. There's probably some odd Ebberon feat that adds Dismissal to a druid's spell list, but I can't think of any way for them to get Holy Smite.

Jack_Simth
2009-01-25, 12:11 AM
Clarification, that Sacred Exorcist from Complete Divine, and I don't think druids can qualify, since they gain neither Dissmissal nor Holy Smite as spells.If they exist in a Domain, a Druid could possibly get them by dipping into Contemplative (also Complete Divine).

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 12:21 AM
If they exist in a Domain, a Druid could possibly get them by dipping into Contemplative (also Complete Divine).

Good and Glory both have Holy Smite, which would qualify. That knocks out 2 levels though. I guess the return is probably worth it though.

Except the fact that its really hard to qualify for Contemplative as a druid due to the knowledge skill requirements. Planar Druid Sub would help you, as would taking Knowledge Devotion at 3rd level, I'd assume.

Jack_Simth
2009-01-25, 12:41 AM
Good and Glory both have Holy Smite, which would qualify. That knocks out 2 levels though. I guess the return is probably worth it though.

Except the fact that its really hard to qualify for Contemplative as a druid due to the knowledge skill requirements. Planar Druid Sub would help you, as would taking Knowledge Devotion at 3rd level, I'd assume.
Ah, right - Druids don't get Knowledge(Religion) as a class skill, so 13 ranks in Knowledge(Religion) is a bit tough to come by pre-Epic. Isn't there a regional feat, Educated or some such, that makes all Knoweledge skills permanent class skills?

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 01:30 AM
Yea, there is that, or Knowledge Devotion. KD is great because you only need 1 Knowledge skill to qualify, and you get to pick any other Knowledge skill to make a class skill....permanently. So, put your 5 ranks in Knowledge: Nature, cause you are a good little tree hugger, and pick up Religion with it. Now, any time you fight animals, fey, or undead, you get +1 to +5 to hit and damage against them. Its pretty much awesome.