PDA

View Full Version : Mechanika Shockblade

largertyler
2009-01-25, 12:17 AM
I'm having DND tomorrow and need to hammer out some details.

Whats better a Great axe plus 1 or a Longsword that deals and extra 1d6 electrical damage? (pg 334 Iron Kingdoms handbook)

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 12:27 AM
The greataxe +1 is better for 2 reasons.

A) As a melee, you typically want to be using a 2hander and PAing. If you PA for that +1, you'll net +3 damage, while the 1d6 nets you 3.5 average. The damage is better though, since its not subject to elemental resistances, and probably won't be subject to DR, since your base damage +1.5 str should overcome the DR already.

B) The +1 weapon overcomes DR/Magic, the shocking sword does not. Thats the only DR you'll come across before about level 5, when you might need Cold Iron, Silver, and Adamantine.

Asbestos
2009-01-25, 12:28 AM
Greataxe
+1 to hit
1d12+1 damage + 1.5 str

Shockblade
1d8+1d6 damage + str

The +1 Greataxe is strictly better I believe, but... if this is IK... where did you manage to get a +1 anything?!

largertyler
2009-01-25, 12:31 AM
i'm trying to give them some magic Items cause the Witchfire trilogy books give really ****ty gold and wealth and stuff.

And yes it Is iron Kindoms. why do you say plus 1 like its crazy?

Surudoi
2009-01-25, 12:52 AM
Greataxe
but... if this is IK... where did you manage to get a +1 anything?!

Masterwork is +1 in itself so it is not it doesn't have to be magical, and with a black market arms dealer who knows where it came from.

[Edit] Nevermind i reread the craft skill MW != +1

The Glyphstone
2009-01-25, 12:53 AM
I'm guessing because IK is probably a "low-magic" setting in that actual enchanted, non-mechanikal items are hard to find. I don't actually know that much about the RPG side of IK though, so I could be wrong.

xanaphia
2009-01-25, 12:55 AM
Don't magic items have to have a bonus, as well as abilities?

The Glyphstone
2009-01-25, 12:58 AM
IK does weird stuff like that, the sword isn't actually magical, it has what amounts to a big arcanomechanikal battery strapped onto it that makes an electrical current flow through the blade and zap people.

largertyler
2009-01-25, 01:03 AM
well to balance out this wealth issue I'm having a curtain chr give them each an item. My gunmage is getting a magelock military pin box pistol but my elven cleric, Palidin and Arcane mechanic need something to.

largertyler
2009-01-25, 01:07 AM
well to balance out this wealth issue I'm having a curtain chr give them each an item. My gunmage is getting a magelock military pin box pistol but my elven cleric, Paladin and Arcane mechanic need something to.