2006-10-08, 11:53 AM
Gila Hog
Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 2d8+11 (20)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 30 ft
Amour Class: 14 (+5 Natural, -1 Dex)
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+2
Attack: Bite +2 melee (1d6+1 plus poison)
Full Attack: Bite +2 melee (1d6+1 plus poison) and Tail Slap -3 melee (1d6)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Poison
Special Qualities: Scent
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +0
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 9, Con 18, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 11
Skills: Search +1
Feats: Toughness
Environment: Any Desert
Organization: Single or Pair or Herd (12-26 adults +30% immature)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Advancement: 3-7(medium)
Level Adjustment: -

This creature lumbers up to you, it is grotesquely fat, and it looks vaguely like a pig, but it has a mouth full of sharp teeth and scales with black and orange markings all over it.

This creature was created by the same wizard who created the Scorpiox (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11588124 39;start=0#0). After he created a beef source which could survive in the harsh desert conditions, he wanted more, and he wanted pork. So, after a long time of testing, he managed to cross a pig with a Gila Monster, and called it a Gila Hog, and sold it to the desert nomads, who keep large herds of them along with their Scorpioxes for food.

Combat

A Gila Hog dislikes combat, but if it engages, it tries to bit everyone to disable all of its enemies, and then devours them at its leisure.

Poison (ex) DC 15 Primary Damage 1d4 Con, Secondary damage 1d4 Con, Paralysis for 1d3 hours. Save DC is constitution based.

[hr]

Submitted to MitP (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11557461 87)

Abd al-Azrad
2006-10-08, 12:49 PM
I like the idea of this monster being created not to destroy all life (as is often the case for monsters created by wizards) but rather to solve world hunger problems.

CR seems a bit high considering its combat statistics. The only thing even remotely threatening that it possesses is its DC 15 poison that deals decent damage. Other than that, it seems to be a nice walking chunk of XP for any hunter that wanders by. I'd say anywhere from 1/2 to 2 (poison is a hard thing for me to calculate, I'd have to run this guy against a party).

Its stats are a bit off: HD 2d8 + 11 (+8 Con, +3 toughness), average 20; tail slap attack should deal 1/2 Str damage (or, in this case, rounded down to 1d6+0).

LordOfNarf
2006-10-08, 04:20 PM
Fixed those errors, I was still a bit sleepy when I submitted this, but its fixed now. I was wavering between CR 2 and 3 sice CON damage is a heavy price, and paralysis can be a pain, esecially at low levels, but I wanted to make the poison like that since Gila Monster Poision is one of the most deadly natural toxins in the world.