PDA

View Full Version : Newest fan

Emilinah Adams
2009-01-25, 02:57 AM
I've always loved AD&D games and I only recently came across this comic strip. I started reading from the first comic and just couldn't stop. 624 strips later and I'm still looking for more. I signed up because I felt I just had to tell Mr. Rich Burlew how great I think his work is. I actually never really read web comics before and only came across OOTS because I was reading an article where a web comic was being bashed as the worst of all time called CTRL+ALT+DEL or something like that. They were not wrong about that comic being terrible and like its name it made me want to reset my PC. There was a link somewhere there to good web comics including your work which really is really, really good! I liked your work so much that I just ordered your first book "Origin of PCs" which I can't wait to see since I'm outta web OOTS to read!

I was checking out your forum and someone had a link to a survey about what kind of AD&D character you are. Turns out I'm a 5th level Paladin... Considering how things turned out for most of the paladins in the strip it was quite alarming. So far my legs are still attached to my torso however. Before I thought paladins were self righteous a--h---s. Then I found out I was one of them. :smallfrown:

Keep the comics flowing. Great work Mr. Burlew!

Optimystik
2009-01-26, 02:40 AM
I was checking out your forum and someone had a link to a survey about what kind of AD&D character you are. Turns out I'm a 5th level Paladin... Considering how things turned out for most of the paladins in the strip it was quite alarming. So far my legs are still attached to my torso however. Before I thought paladins were self righteous a--h---s. Then I found out I was one of them. :smallfrown:

Keep the comics flowing. Great work Mr. Burlew!

I wouldn't worry too much - Miko was Rich's example of how not to play a paladin. And though many of the rest perished, they gave their lives defending the world from evil, so they all had good endings too.

If you want a paladin to emulate that isn't a holier-than-thou stick in the mud all the time, try Hinjo or Lien.

kpenguin
2009-01-26, 03:00 AM
I'm not sure, but I believe your censored word is allowable on this forum. I mean, "SNEAK ATTACK, BITCH!" certainly is, so...

Anyway, welcome to the GitP community. We're a nice bunch, most of the time.

Liwen
2009-01-26, 03:18 AM
Welcome to our forum! Play nice of we'll kill you!

Nah not really. But that's was Ethan from Ctrl-Alt-Del it telling people on the forum's main page. Being a fan of said webcomic, I often wonder why so many people have expressed an extremely negative opition of it lately. I mean, sure it doesn't bests OotS by a fairly high margin, but I loled quite often when reading it. Of late, the author has insisted to add more drama to the story, keeping most of the jokes for what he call "sillies" (basically a visually simplified version of his art style in a three panel format) Those I enjoy much more than the actual main plot because they update each day and are often very funny. The more dramatic main plot ain't that good, I admit, but let the author give a solid shot at it bofore returning to pure comedy. It's his right after all.

madmotoristmonk
2009-01-26, 11:15 AM
I respectfully disagree, my first college roomate read said comic and three days later plucked his eyes out at the caf,

true story.

Vectner
2009-01-26, 01:23 PM
Welcome to the forums.
Oots is the greatest webcomic in the history of mankind, but you still shouldn't bash other ones, it's just bad form to gloat.

Moff Chumley
2009-01-26, 01:34 PM
Welcome to the playground!

Also, have you ever posted on the CAD forum? It's positively Orwellian! (sp)

Optimystik
2009-01-26, 01:41 PM
I respectfully disagree, my first college roomate read said comic and three days later plucked his eyes out at the caf,

true story.

CAD was good for a while. Sadly its Cerberus trend culminated in a strip that also jumped the shark in a very big way.

As for the "sillies," it just strikes me as condescending that TB considers humor to be so far beneath him now that he won't waste time drawing it well. I understand wanting to spend more time on the drama stuff, but he should either be making an effort at the funny strips or just discontinue them entirely.

Emilinah Adams
2009-01-26, 07:13 PM
It was not my intention to bash CAD. I was just telling the true story of how I found OOTS. I'm not a big web comic type of person. Someone was already bashing CAD and to tell the story truthfully I had to include the details. I can not lie about hating what I read of CAD and instantly liking what I read in OOTS and getting hooked on it. Sorry if any feelings were hurt it was not my intention. :smalleek:

HolderofSecrets
2009-01-26, 07:39 PM
Nice to meet you. I am surprised no one has addressed your much needed introduction to Web Comics as a whole. I recommend you head to that section of the boards and read up. I also recommend you learn some of the terms you might be running into around here. www.Tvtropes.org should be used to fully understand the posts by Optimystik. Beyond that you might also want to find "Start of Darkness" as well. Its the Origin book for the Evil folks of the comic. I hope from here others will point you towards a few good Web Comics.

Roc Ness
2009-01-28, 05:37 AM
Heh, I'm not really a "techno kid" either. This is my first (and probably last) webcomic, and I only found it thanks to a friend

Hey, and where did you get that survey thing

Berserk Monk
2009-01-29, 02:07 PM
Could you provide a link to the AD&D survey. I'd like to take it.

Emilinah Adams
2009-01-29, 09:33 PM
I had forgotten where I got it so I had to dig around a bit but it was in the sig of Kobold-Bard

http://easydamus.com/character.html <-- what kind of AD&D character are you?

Reminds me of a phycological profile exam I had to fill out based on Jungian archetypes for work. Turns out I'm a red personality type with some blue mixed who wants people to "Be brief, be bright or be gone." :smallsmile: Guess thats kinda true.

[TS] Shadow
2009-01-29, 10:39 PM
Ah...I remember when I was a n00b here...(That was only like 4 months ago, though) Weclome! Now that you're up to date with the comic, you'll have to undure the frustratingly addictive process of waiting for the next strip to come out. The fight at Pete's house took 2 months. I don't want to know how much real time it took for the Azure City battle...

An Enemy Spy
2009-01-29, 10:42 PM
Can you link me to that article about CAD?

The Minx
2009-01-30, 12:41 AM
CAD was good for a while. Sadly its Cerberus trend culminated in a strip that also jumped the shark in a very big way.

Cerberus trend... do you refer to Dave Sim's Cerebus which started off funny and spry but devolved into overlong and overly dramatic psychedelic weirdness? And a "Cerebus trend" would be an attempt to add drama into a comic which leads to such a fate? :smallconfused:

David Argall
2009-01-30, 02:11 AM
I had forgotten where I got it so I had to dig around a bit but it was in the sig of Kobold-Bard

http://easydamus.com/character.html <-- what kind of AD&D character are you?

6th level LN elf Wiz.

The wizard is fairly likely, but the LN was quite shaky. A closer look said NN, with NG tendencies.