PDA

View Full Version : Is there any chance of splitting the "D20 and General RPG" forum?

Kiero
2009-01-25, 07:49 AM
I'm not holding out a lot of hope for this one, especially since the forum seems to be suffering with technical issues anyway, but I thought I'd make the case.

The D20 and General RPG forum claims to be for any RPGs. Only the reality is that if it's not a thread about a D20 game, or else a meta-thread that applies equally to D20 as anything else, the thread vanishes before anyone gets to read it.

There's a simple rule of internet fora; if people aren't talking about the things you'd like to talk about, then start a new conversation. But if people don't even get the chance to see it, because it's overwhelmed by D20-related topics, then it makes even that a futile prospect.

I've watched them time and again, any thread about a non-D20 game lasts at best a day before it vanishes. It's actually almost pointless posting about it, because you'll get much more of a response on other boards about the same topics. I say this as someone who posts on RPGnet as well as here, and often mirrors threads; and even though that is a much bigger forum, the same non-D20 topics will get a lot more air-time. They have a split for much the same reasons - D20 games are a big enough demographic to have their own forum dedicated to it.

I often have to resist the urge when I see someone posting a non-D20 topic, to tell them they'd be better off posting elsewhere. Because the idea that it's genuinely an "and General RPG" forum at present is a bit of a mockery.

So how about it? Make the present one just the D20 Forum, and have a subforum for "General RPGs"? It'll be slower-moving than the D20 one, but at least non-D20 threads won't be swamped by D20 ones.

Forum Staff
2009-01-25, 08:13 AM
We are working on several message board reorganizations, and while that exact change is not in the works, a different change that will likely solve your problem is.

Fax Celestis
2009-01-26, 01:29 PM
We are working on several message board reorganizations, and while that exact change is not in the works, a different change that will likely solve your problem is.

...that sounds ominous.

Uncle Festy
2009-01-27, 11:10 PM
...that sounds ominous.

You said it. :smalleek:

Occasional Sage
2009-01-28, 02:15 AM
...that sounds ominous.

If by "ominous" you mean "promising, yet likely to be well-considered and balanced," then I wholeheartedly agree.

Kiero
2009-02-06, 08:50 PM
The name of the forum is different, but I'm not sure I see any change. Are there more alterations planned? Are non-D20 games likely to get their own subforum?

Rawhide
2009-02-06, 09:37 PM
The possible change that might fix your problem hasn't happened yet. I'm not sure if it has been shelved for the moment (due to the server problems) or if it is going to be implemented shortly.

Kiero
2009-02-07, 05:55 AM
The possible change that might fix your problem hasn't happened yet. I'm not sure if it has been shelved for the moment (due to the server problems) or if it is going to be implemented shortly.

Any reason why this "possible change" is so secret?

TRM
2009-02-07, 07:38 AM
Any reason why this "possible change" is so secret?
Yes.

There is.
What?

FdL
2009-02-07, 12:02 PM
I don't think the OP's issue has to do with anything organizational or technical about the forums. I see it as a preference of the community in regards to games.

It seems this community is more d20 centric, and seeing it that way, it makes sense that most people are not interested in discussing other games. You can't change that with the structure of the forums. If you make a subforum for Other Games alone, the same could happen.

Kiero
2009-02-07, 12:15 PM
I don't think the OP's issue has to do with anything organizational or technical about the forums. I see it as a preference of the community in regards to games.

It seems this community is more d20 centric, and seeing it that way, it makes sense that most people are not interested in discussing other games. You can't change that with the structure of the forums. If you make a subforum for Other Games alone, the same could happen.

Uh no, if there's a subforum for non-D20 games, those games aren't simply swamped by talk of D20. It will be a slower-moving forum, but at least one where games which aren't D20 can be heard.

TRM
2009-02-07, 12:30 PM
Uh no, if there's a subforum for non-D20 games, those games aren't simply swamped by talk of D20. It will be a slower-moving forum, but at least one where games which aren't D20 can be heard.
I'm confused as to why that would change anything. If people wanted to talk about non-d20 games, they would be talking about them regardless of where they are situated. Or do you mean that they get lost in the swarm of d20 threads?

Defiant
2009-02-07, 01:34 PM
I'm confused as to why that would change anything. If people wanted to talk about non-d20 games, they would be talking about them regardless of where they are situated. Or do you mean that they get lost in the swarm of d20 threads?

Two forums:

Player 1 - Hmm, I'll post this thread to discuss RandomRPG.
*2 minutes later*
Player 2 logs on - Hey, I play a lot of Other RPGs, including RandomRPG, let's see what's on that forum. *responds to new thread*

One forum:
*2 minutes later*
Player 2 logs on - Hey, I play a lot of Other RPGs, including RandomRPG. It seems that the place to discuss these is on the All-Gaming forum. *looks around* Hm, there seems to be no thread other than about d20s... nothing about RandomRPG either. Oh well.

TRM
2009-02-07, 01:44 PM
Two forums:

*2 minutes later*
Player 2 logs on - Hey, I play a lot of Other RPGs, including RandomRPG, let's see what's on that forum. *responds to new thread*

One forum:
*2 minutes later*
Player 2 logs on - Hey, I play a lot of Other RPGs, including RandomRPG. It seems that the place to discuss these is on the All-Gaming forum. *looks around* Hm, there seems to be no thread other than about d20s... nothing about RandomRPG either. Oh well.
So you're saying that non-d20 threads get lost in the overwhelming number of d20 threads?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-02-07, 02:10 PM
Yes, I think that's what KieroDefiant and the OP are saying.

Kiero
2009-02-07, 03:03 PM
Yes, I think that's what Kiero and the OP are saying.

Given I am the OP, yes. :smallsmile:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-02-07, 06:05 PM
:smallredface:
Woops.
I ment Defiant and Kiero.
Thenks for pointing that out.
:smallredface:

Llama231
2009-02-12, 10:37 PM
I would also like to add here to politely complain of the speed at which threads get buried in the roleplaying board, in general. The "Today" posts go back quite far...

Winterwind
2009-02-13, 08:55 AM
Seeing as, apparently, what shall happen is already planned out, and one more voice likely being meaningless anyway, it probably won't change anything, but I would like to voice my support for Kiero's cause as well. A non-D&D-RPG-only forum would make it far easier for us non-D&D-players to find interesting threads, and maybe even have discussions that are simply not possible due to being overlooked currently.

The only thing that worries me about this proposal is that this could stifle the experience exchange between D&D and non-D&D-players, and possibly lead to both sides overlooking discussions concerning things relevant to all roleplaying games, if these were posted in one of either two forums only.

Kiero
2009-02-13, 03:37 PM
The only thing that worries me about this proposal is that this could stifle the experience exchange between D&D and non-D&D-players, and possibly lead to both sides overlooking discussions concerning things relevant to all roleplaying games, if these were posted in one of either two forums only.

You're exactly right, that's an inevitable consequence of splitting that there might be topics that span the divide. However, I think the argument there is that they go in the "general" subforum, since people who do have an interest wider than D20 are likely to frequent both.

Winterwind
2009-02-14, 11:33 AM
You're exactly right, that's an inevitable consequence of splitting that there might be topics that span the divide. However, I think the argument there is that they go in the "general" subforum, since people who do have an interest wider than D20 are likely to frequent both.Indeed, but there would inevitably be a lot of threads started in the D&D forum where the creator would reason "I'm a D&D player, so this is a D&D question", without realizing the question is of general nature. Even in the forum in its current form I keep seeing threads with "D&D/D20" or "[3.5]" or something like that in the title, where the topic is something of perfectly general applicability, like maybe style of gamemastering or proper usage of some specific storytelling techniques. Many people reason, so I figure, that, as it is D&D they play, what they want is the input of D&D DMs, and completely forget (or are unaware) that non-D&D gamemasters deal with similar issues and could offer their own perspective just fine.
Though I guess this would be an acceptable price...

Kiero
2009-02-17, 09:33 AM
So, these "plans". Is there a timeframe in which we might expect them to be enacted? Is it in the coming days? Weeks? Months?

Charity
2009-02-19, 06:58 AM
So, these "plans". Is there a timeframe in which we might expect them to be enacted? Is it in the coming days? Weeks? Months?

My mystic 8-ball says...

Kiero
2009-02-19, 08:38 AM
My mystic 8-ball says...

That was over three weeks ago. Not unreasonable to think something might have changed in that time.

Kiero
2009-06-25, 12:28 PM
Had the plans around this one been superceded by other changes now? Or is something still in the works?

Roland St. Jude
2009-06-26, 03:58 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: In the interest of explaining the locked thread...

I assume this thread was closed because when we have news, we'll let you know. Until then, asking every X weeks isn't going to speed us along or provide you any answers. If I've presumed wrong, I'm sure one of my fellow mods will be along shortly to correct me.