PDA

View Full Version : D&D Touhou: Laser-Crazed Lady Incoming!

Leliel
2009-01-25, 12:00 PM
Well, after watching the Touhou project online-though not playing it, as I am sane-I was wondering how you would translate the abilities in there into a balanced form for 4E use...Which may be hard. I mean, take a look at Remilia Scarlet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mhYv9msSN0&feature=related) here (she's th second boss)...and she's holding back.

Tengu_temp
2009-01-25, 12:20 PM
Play at very high levels, almost everyone is a warlock, wizard or other caster with lots of AoE and multi-hit powers refluffed as shooting lots and lots of danmaku. Never underestimate the power of refluffing.

Drascin
2009-01-25, 01:31 PM
Well, after watching the Touhou project online-though not playing it, as I am sane-

Hey! Are you insinuating I'm not sane?

...well, okay, so I'm not, but that has nothing to do with me playing Touhou! :smalltongue:

Also, what do you mean, "watching the Touhou Project"? I think I should make you aware there's like 11 games plus spinoffs, my friend :smallbiggrin:

I was wondering how you would translate the abilities in there into a balanced form for 4E use...Which may be hard. I mean, take a look at Remilia Scarlet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mhYv9msSN0&feature=related) here (she's th second boss)...and she's holding back.

You have to understand Remi is about level 28 or so - Touhou is a setting with some crazy-high level people. So of course, your average character will not shoot anything like that.

But, for best effect, do what Tengu said. Warlocks outta the wazoo, spam blasts, maybe homebrew a couple dailies, refluff a lot, and play at a very high level.

That, or just try another system. I have made rather convincing mock-ups of Flandre and Sakuya in Mutants and Masterminds, myself. I mean, I have used Yuka as an NPC in a 3.5 campaign, but that was for a single "encounter" (encounter between quotes because they didn't try to fight her. Smart guys, my players), but she was fully homebrewed and thought more as a monster than anything, and so very not balanced for being used by PCs.

KKL
2009-01-25, 05:48 PM
Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll for a frill hat. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll for absolutely no reason. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge lesbian subtext. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to make a snappy comment. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet.

d20 does not do it for Touhou, as does basically every other system out there.

If however, we're speaking non-danmaku in the sense that they're playing for keeps, then each Touhou is a solo/elite of varying levels, with Yukari being a level 40 Solo Deity of Gaps. Because yes, she just tweaked the rules :V

Drascin
2009-01-26, 10:41 AM
Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll for a frill hat. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll for absolutely no reason. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge lesbian subtext. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to make a snappy comment. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet. Roll to dodge the bullet.

d20 does not do it for Touhou, as does basically every other system out there.

Er, you obviousy save for whole attacks/spellcards, not for individual bullets. I thought this was obvious. You don't make an individual save for every single projectile in a Swarm of Crystals when a Psion does it, why should this be different?

'sides, even in the game itself, if you're dodging individual bullets instead of patterns, you're going to have some trouble :smalltongue:.