PDA

View Full Version : Need a quick answer [3.5]

Mooch
2009-01-25, 01:04 PM
Where does it say that item bonus from the same source (enhancement etc) do not stack? (book and page number if you could)

My group is saying that once you hit epic bonuses from the same source stack indefinitely, and I am positive this is wrong I just don't remember where this is stated.

Thanks

Llama231
2009-01-25, 01:05 PM
I don't think that it does at all...

Assassin89
2009-01-25, 01:09 PM
I think it is in the player's handbook somewhere, as said in the SRD
Multiple enhancement bonuses on the same object (in the case of armor and weapons), creature (in the case of natural armor), or ability score do not stack. Only the highest enhancement bonus applies.

Unless your group is talking about the bonuses provided by epic feats, I have no more ideas.

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 01:22 PM
DMG. pg21, 2nd paragraph, 3rd sentance.

<snip> Identical types of bonuses do not stack, so a +3 longsword (which gives a +3 enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls) would not be affected by a magic weapon spell that grants a weapon a +1 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls.

Douglas
2009-01-25, 01:29 PM
There are a number of epic feats that give bonuses and explicitly stack with themselves if taken multiple times, but these are specific exceptions to the general rule already quoted for you and each one is specifically spelled out in each individual feat as appropriate.

Flickerdart
2009-01-25, 02:07 PM
No bonuses from the same source stack, with the exception of dodge bonuses to AC that stack with themselves.

elonin
2009-01-25, 02:10 PM
The general rule about similiar bonuses not stacking is overruled by the feat or item stating that it doesn't?

Flickerdart
2009-01-25, 02:14 PM
The general rule about similiar bonuses not stacking is overruled by the feat or item stating that it doesn't?
No, feats that stack specifically say that you can take them multiple times and they stack. Specific trumps general.

elonin
2009-01-25, 02:28 PM
Did I say my thing out of order? Alot of feats specifically say that they don't stack. And for example different items that grant enhancement bonuses don't stack. Sure you can wear 3 +4 items of strength but they overlap. That is the general rule. Where the feats allow stacking (such as some dodge bonuses) it's absolutely specific and not general. If these feats didn't mention stacking it would follow the general rule of not stacking.

Flickerdart
2009-01-25, 02:35 PM
Did I say my thing out of order? Alot of feats specifically say that they don't stack. And for example different items that grant enhancement bonuses don't stack. Sure you can wear 3 +4 items of strength but they overlap. That is the general rule. Where the feats allow stacking (such as some dodge bonuses) it's absolutely specific and not general. If these feats didn't mention stacking it would follow the general rule of not stacking.
Sorry, your use of the double negative confused me.

Mooch
2009-01-25, 04:14 PM
Thanks so much.

Prometheus
2009-01-25, 07:31 PM
I believe in addition to dodge, luck also stacks.

Douglas
2009-01-25, 07:34 PM
I believe in addition to dodge, luck also stacks.
No. Only dodge, circumstance, and untyped bonuses stack with the same type, and only if they come from different sources.

Innis Cabal
2009-01-25, 07:50 PM

No, i've almost never seen a feat say that its effects don't stack. On the reverse, I have seen feats that say that they -do- in fact stack with either that same feat, or what ever it indicates in text.

If it dosn't say it stacks, it dosn't stack. The rule's already been posted here.

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 08:04 PM
Weapon Focus specifically doesn't stack with itself. I says "every time you choses this feat, select a new weapon you are proficient with" or something like that.

Same with Spell Focus and Spell Mastery.

Toughness specifically states that you can gain it multiple times.

Innis Cabal
2009-01-25, 08:13 PM
The key word was almost.

And they don't say the feats don't stack with one another. They say you have to pick a new option ever time you take it. Not "This feat does not stack with itself". Which was what he was saying, I think, his double negatives also sort of confused me.