PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Alter Self

Gaire
2009-01-25, 03:39 PM
I'm playing in a Sandstorm campaign right now as a Dwarf Wizard 5/ Sandshaper 3. Comes out to caster level 7. The next big point in the campaign is a large tournament, gladiatorial coliseum style. The DM has confirmed that there will be both team and solo matches. In order to prepare for my solo or solos, I've added a few new spells to my spellbook, including Alter Self. My plan is to cast Greater Mage Armor (+6 to AC) before the battle, cast Alter Self and Shield shortly before combat starts, then cast Cat's Grace. Right now my preferred Alter Self is Lizardfolk. I'm wondering if anybody has a better creature to use. I'm looking for high natural armor.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-25, 03:48 PM
I'm playing in a Sandstorm campaign right now as a Dwarf Wizard 5/ Sandshaper 3. Comes out to caster level 7. The next big point in the campaign is a large tournament, gladiatorial coliseum style. The DM has confirmed that there will be both team and solo matches. In order to prepare for my solo or solos, I've added a few new spells to my spellbook, including Alter Self. My plan is to cast Greater Mage Armor (+6 to AC) before the battle, cast Alter Self and Shield shortly before combat starts, then cast Cat's Grace. Right now my preferred Alter Self is Lizardfolk. I'm wondering if anybody has a better creature to use. I'm looking for high natural armor.

Hmm, only Dwarf?
Trog has +6 Natural if Core.

Minitures handbook has: Crucian +8.

Under Dark: Phaerlock +7

Gaire
2009-01-25, 04:01 PM
Hmm, only Dwarf?
Trog has +6 Natural if Core.

Minitures handbook has: Crucian +8.

Under Dark: Phaerlock +7

Well, he was human, but he died in the first session and the druid cast Reincarnate. Thus, dwarf. Anyway, I was looking at Crucian. That +8 is nice, plus it keeps the ability to cast.

Flickerdart
2009-01-25, 05:16 PM
Well, he was human, but he died in the first session and the druid cast Reincarnate. Thus, dwarf. Anyway, I was looking at Crucian. That +8 is nice, plus it keeps the ability to cast.
Humans are still Humanoid. If you were, say, an Elan, you'd get Aberrations. What fun!

Curmudgeon
2009-01-25, 11:48 PM
It's a shame you don't qualify for Dwarf Ancestor, with 18 NA. (That's an outsider form.)

Person_Man
2009-01-26, 11:22 AM
Try this thread (forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=176246).