PDA

View Full Version : Intellegent Items as Characters

Olo Demonsbane
2009-01-25, 04:34 PM
I was wondering...

Would it be possible to have an intelligent item for a character? For example, could it be a wizard and constantly use the still spell feat?

Would it still get all the benifets for being an item and a character? Would you still have an ego score (which could be very fun) and all of the powers an intellegent item has, like meteor swarm 1/day or whatever?

What would be the LA of an item? Would it be more or less powerfull, and how could you determine it?

If you were a ring of protection +5, would you gain the +5 bonus to your AC?

Early thanks for all the help!

Flickerdart
2009-01-25, 05:13 PM
Yes, you can be an intelligent longsword Paladin who takes another Paladin as a special mount. The Paladin gets his own mount Awakened, that mount takes levels in Wizard and gets a familiar. Enjoy your circus.

snoopy13a
2009-01-25, 05:24 PM
I don't why it wouldn't be possible. There are some real disadvantages though.

The item character would be dependent on another player or NPC to carry it around. There's also the possibility of the item character being stolen. The item character would also have much less control in battles. The only exceptions would be an item character that can cast spells or an item character that is directly ordering the NPC carrying or wielding it.

As for a wizard, the item would need someone to scribe its spells, carry along its spellbook and hold it up so it can read the spellbook.

Kalirren
2009-01-25, 05:33 PM
The item character would also have much less control in battles. The only exceptions would be an item character that can cast spells or an item character that is directly ordering the NPC carrying or wielding it.

You could take the Leadership feat and have your cohort wield you. It wouldn't be too broken, seeing as the problem with cohorts is usually that you get to control two characters in battle. In this case you still only get the number of actions that a character who hadn't taken the Leadership feat but had a intelligent item would.

I wouldn't be a wizard, though. Perhaps a bard.

JellyPooga
2009-01-25, 05:40 PM
The only real answer to this question is "yes", given that any conceivable possiblilty should at least be an option...

...however, as far as game mechanics go, the only balanced way to play as an intelligent item would be to devise a racial template of some description (along with an appropriate Level Adjustment). Said template would likely involve null Dexterity and Strength scores, the Construct type, Tiny or smaller size and a progression of SLA's as your level increases. You'd probably have to throw in a rule to handle Ego situations too. In short, it could be quite complicated, but certainly possible.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-01-25, 05:57 PM
Well, if a wizard needs someone to do the spellbook, how about a sorcerer?

A bard that also happens to be a lute! Thanks for the idea!

How about an Improved Familiar, who then goes on solo quests to get enough levels in fighter for the Leadership feat? :smallwink:

Sorry about the screwed up order.

MickJay
2009-01-25, 06:27 PM
There's the matter of sundering, would if affect the character because he's an item, or not, because he's got class levels?

Fixer
2009-01-25, 08:01 PM
I would strongly discourage any sort of item characters. Part of the cheese that can occur is that the 'character' could get a friendly wizard to upgrade them with additional effects AFTER they are assigned a LA.

Basic conditions needed for a player character, in my book: Must be able to communicate with ordinary folk in SOME fashion (speech, pantomime, whatever). (Item Character might meet this condition.) Must be able to perform the basic acts of their class without magical assistance. (This depends on the class taken. Psion works for just about anything here.) Must be capable of moving under their own power. (This would be the clincher for most item characters.)
If the player meets all these criteria, they are a construct (perhaps a living construct) and should be treated as such.

Flickerdart
2009-01-25, 08:25 PM
Well, if a wizard needs someone to do the spellbook, how about a sorcerer?

A bard that also happens to be a lute! Thanks for the idea!

How about an Improved Familiar, who then goes on solo quests to get enough levels in fighter for the Leadership feat? :smallwink:

Sorry about the screwed up order.
Not only that, but the lute is a better bard than the bard wielding it, and he'll never let his owner live it down.

Jack_Simth
2009-01-25, 09:50 PM
Well...

You'd need to homebrew it, obviously, but a Ring (or other small, worn item item) with Leadership (or just a controlled patsy) and with access to Malevolence and Dominate Person (either by making them Spell-like abilities, or getting rid of the components, through, say, the Factotem class, the Archmage PrC, or by way of a Silent and Stilled spell (the crystal is, of course, mounted in the item itself)), would work fairly well (worth about +1 LA, because you've got really cheap resurrection that way... if you're evil and never let anyone know that you are the ring, rather than the person wearing the ring). Works better as a villain, though.

While Intelligent Items do have access to their item powers (e.g., a Ring of Telekinesis would be able to use Telekinesis at-will), you don't really need to include that in the character (as it drastically changes the character's abilities and would often be worth a fair amount).

Knaight
2009-01-25, 10:30 PM
I would allow this, having had one as an NPC already(a sword with a phoenix trapped in it. Basically lit on fire, had a few heat based long range attacks, with the occasional ability for the phoenix to exist outside of the sword. And the phoenix wasn't very bright and had a lot of stories.), which was loved by the players. I would go for warlock levels in particular, taking fell flight at some point, but mostly sticking to eldritch blast stuff. This makes you a magic sword that can shoot stuff at people. You might also want to have some In-Character griping about not being cleaned quickly enough after battle.

Prometheus
2009-01-25, 11:14 PM
Be an Animated Object that someone had cast Awaken Construct on (like the Druid spell Awaken (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/awaken.htm), except that it works on Constructs instead and it is a 9th level spell). It's is covered by the rules, you get to move of your own free will, and you get to be whatever item you want to be.

If you like, perhaps you could advance in HD/size (like a Savage Species progression) so that the item that you control gets larger and larger (or, a number of small object that correspond to the space of the largest size you could be).

Whatever you take, probably the best way to cover gaining magic abilities as a character progression is to be a Bearer of the Ancestral Weapon (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/xJ1VzXrzTxbe9Z8rXIV.html). I'd also say it would be fair to pay to be upgraded (After all, you probably are your only item-slot).

TheCountAlucard
2009-01-25, 11:30 PM
Best class for an intelligent item would probably be Psion...

Just sayin'.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-01-26, 12:03 AM
I just had an idea: Polymorph (or Metamorphosis or whatever the Psioic one is).
With the amount of cheese possible already mentioned, could you, if needed, transform into a humanoid form? That would be pretty awesome.
I am thinking of going as a ring, what abilities could you suggest for a LA of +0?

Olo Demonsbane
2009-01-26, 12:09 AM
I think that the Bearer of the Anscesteral Weapon Class is a good way to cover it for a weapon. Thanks for that idea!

New Idea: A ring of mage hand (mage hand at will, 1,000gp) rouge. You could pick pocket, and if you have a DM that does not really care about RAW (or RAI actually), you could wield a weapon to sneak attack. Or you could add an at will ray spell.

If you got a combat feat, say Power Attack, could you give your wieder free use of it? Thats an ability from Epic Level Handbook.

Lycanthromancer
2009-01-26, 12:49 AM
You could take the Leadership feat and have your cohort wield you. It wouldn't be too broken, seeing as the problem with cohorts is usually that you get to control two characters in battle. In this case you still only get the number of actions that a character who hadn't taken the Leadership feat but had a intelligent item would.

I wouldn't be a wizard, though. Perhaps a bard.

A singing...sword?

Lycanthromancer
2009-01-26, 12:51 AM
I just had an idea: Polymorph (or Metamorphosis or whatever the Psioic one is).

You couldn't use polymorph (it only works on living creatures), but metamorphosis is fair game.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-01-26, 01:36 AM
I think that I want to be a sorcerer, and maybe a psion as well if the DM allows geshalt :smallsmile: ...

A Ring. Definitely a ring. Everyone suspects a sword of being intellegent, but no one suspects a ring. Every other character that I have ends up having an intellegent weapon, but as far as I know, I have never even heard of an intellegent ring.

I want to be able to use mage hand at will. If I put really, really small metal hand-like things on the inside of the ring , mage hand lets him cast spells. It also lets him move around.

A permanent silence spell (inside the ring) is a must. That way, the ring can cast spells without anyone knowing by speaking emenating in, and it can also project its voice out to let everyone hear. Using telepathy, it can hear itself just fine, and therefore takes no penalty on casting this way (I guess).

If the DM oks this, I think the way my character will start out is that one of the characters will start out with a ring of protection +1 or something, which is me. (They will all probably question why I'm sitting around the table, but whatever :smallwink:) The characters fight through the first mission, wondering why weird spells keep appearing. During the second mission, some brute monster will be taken over by the ring's ego and begin to beg to serve the characters, who will be wondering what is happening. After each monster is killed, it attempts to find another one. They may use drastic measures to find out, but barring that, they may never discover the fact that they have an additional party member!

Olo Demonsbane
2009-01-26, 01:42 AM
Metamorphosis is fair game.

If you wanted to be enhanced with additional powers, use metamorphosis to turn into a human, walk into the wizard's guild, go to the headmaster and say "Enhance me."

You could get some strange looks :smallbiggrin:!

Who_Da_Halfling
2009-01-26, 01:46 AM
Isn't an Intelligent Ring with Malevolence and Dominate Person more or less the One Ring from LotR?

Obviously missing some abilities but thats what it reminded me of.

I am definitely considering stealing this idea for my campaign...

-JM

Revanmal
2009-01-26, 02:09 AM
Not to toot my own horn, but I homebrewed a PC race of living weapons.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92638

Hardly the best homebrew ever, but it may give you an idea or two.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-01-26, 02:12 AM
Isn't an Intelligent Ring with Malevolence and Dominate Person more or less the One Ring from LotR?

The Ring doesnt even have to have Malevolence and Dominate Person Abilities because it has ego. While this initially may not be a very high DC, if it sticks itself on a monster with low Will save's finger, it will probably fail one save before the fight is over.

Also, the feat "Ability Focus (ego)" could add large numbers to this, because (if your DM allows cheezing like this) it would make it from +1 ego per +1 of the item to +3 ego to +1 of the item...

You could get a pretty high save DC pretty quickly. +2 shortsword with 10 Int, 12 Wis, 12 Cha, and detect magic would go from ego 6 to ego 18 with this feat!

Olo Demonsbane
2009-01-26, 02:21 AM
Thanks for the ideas Revanmal. My only problems with it were that a) I am trying to use preexisting material, if possible. b) I am trying to go more with a ring caster build rather than a weapon melee build.

Despite that, you have given me some very good ideas...

I particualary like the fact that your enhancement bonus increases with your level.

Lycanthromancer
2009-01-26, 02:22 AM
You could technically be a regular human/elf/dwarf/etc, and then enhanced if you metamorphosis'd into a masterwork item.

Jack_Simth
2009-01-26, 08:25 AM
The Ring doesnt even have to have Malevolence and Dominate Person Abilities because it has ego. While this initially may not be a very high DC, if it sticks itself on a monster with low Will save's finger, it will probably fail one save before the fight is over.
That doesn't work - see, Ego checks are daily, or until a "critical situation". You'll maybe get one for the battle, but not for each round of the battle. Additionally, failing an Ego check vs. an intelligent item doesn't result in a posession, but a concession.

I think that I want to be a sorcerer, and maybe a psion as well if the DM allows geshalt :smallsmile: ...

If pairing with Sorcerer, you want Wilder, not Psion - for the Charisma synergy. If pairing with Psion, you want Beguiler, for the Intelligence synergy. You want to avoid the dual casting stat.

Alternately, pick up something that will have a lot of passive benefits - large hit die, a bonus stat to saves, or some such.

I want to be able to use mage hand at will. If I put really, really small metal hand-like things on the inside of the ring , mage hand lets him cast spells. It also lets him move around.

Umm... Mage Hand, by default, doesn't let you cast spells through it... and there's no mechanism for using someone else's hands to cast by way of manipulating them. Even worse, Mage Hand doesn't work on magical objects, attended objects, or creatures - and you'll be all three.

A permanent silence spell (inside the ring) is a must. That way, the ring can cast spells without anyone knowing by speaking emenating in, and it can also project its voice out to let everyone hear. Using telepathy, it can hear itself just fine, and therefore takes no penalty on casting this way (I guess).

You do realize that a Silence spell prevents you from using Verbal components, right? You're better off going with a Psion or Wilder, who can simply make Concentration checks to remove the displays.

If the DM oks this, I think the way my character will start out is that one of the characters will start out with a ring of protection +1 or something, which is me. (They will all probably question why I'm sitting around the table, but whatever :smallwink:) The characters fight through the first mission, wondering why weird spells keep appearing. During the second mission, some brute monster will be taken over by the ring's ego and begin to beg to serve the characters, who will be wondering what is happening. After each monster is killed, it attempts to find another one. They may use drastic measures to find out, but barring that, they may never discover the fact that they have an additional party member!
Could be amusing.

Manga Shoggoth
2009-01-26, 08:45 AM
Many years ago I was joining a campaign (originally based on the 1e Temple of Elemental Evil, but it had run on from there quite a lot). We were looking at a group of minatures and came across a, well, spellbook on legs.

We were so taken by the minature that the DM rolled up a character based on that minature.

Essentially, I was playing an intellegent spellbook (based on the Rag Golem, If I recall correctly) that was itself a sort-of Magic User. It couldn't learn spells, but had the following abilities:

It could "eat" MU scrolls and then cast them at will. Alternately, a MU could read them from the book. (There was a limit on how many scrolls the book could hold, something like 100 caster levels of spell).
It could "eat" Illusionist scrolls but not cast them. A MU could read them from the book.
It could not eat Clerical scrolls (it made the book sick).
It could cast up to its intellegence in cantrips (from Unearthed Arcana) per day (18 cantrips originally). The book could get very creative in its use of cantrips, including using "spider" as an attack.

There were various other attributes and restrictions. It could understand several languages, but only spoke its own (a very corrupted and mumbled version of common), but could make writing appear on its pages. It could also control what "page" it was opened at if someone opened it, and was quite hard to open if it didn't feel like it.

It later gained the ability to fly (a reward from a quest), and when not adventuring worked as a librarian.

(I think I still have the character sheet somewhere...)

Darrin
2009-01-26, 09:39 AM
Be an Animated Object that someone had cast Awaken Construct on (like the Druid spell Awaken (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/awaken.htm), except that it works on Constructs instead and it is a 9th level spell). It's is covered by the rules, you get to move of your own free will, and you get to be whatever item you want to be.

Up to now, I've been harboring a not-so-secret wish to play a Gelatinous Cube PC (via Awaken Ooze)... but now that I think about it... playing a Gazebo would be awesomelicious.

Ravens_cry
2009-01-26, 10:10 AM

But what happens if you get Dispel Magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dispelMagic.htm) cast on you?

Olo Demonsbane
2009-01-26, 10:42 AM
Up to now, I've been harboring a not-so-secret wish to play a Gelatinous Cube PC (via Awaken Ooze)... but now that I think about it... playing a Gazebo would be awesomelicious.

There already is an awakened cube as the leader of a thieves guild in the Affilation section of PHB2. Good for use as precident if your DM looks at you strangely and starts (cussing you out) asking you what on earth you are doing.

Jack, my DM is kinda messed up, and has already let one of my previous items (a morningstar) take control of an orc in order to have my character raised. Im pretty sure he will house rule it in (I have already talked to him a little about this). Anyway, it doesnt just cause concussion, the DMG says that you can force your possesser to surrender, drop from his hand, or even strike the possesser. That sounds pretty dominating.

I know Wilder/Sorcerer would be better, but I am going for versitality. There are tons of cool Psionic Powers, but the wilder only gets one spell per 2 class levels! And Beguiler... I already have a beguiler that I am playing, but thanks for the help. I will have lots of room to play around with my stats, because I will roll 4d6 or whatever, then take away the three lowest because of Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution. I probably wont need any high passive, like monk, because I probably wont be targeted too much.

If you have the spell spell immunity from a friendly cleric, he can make you immune to dispel magic (and shatter). Otherwise, magic items are only suppressed for 1d4 rounds, which would stink...because the characters will be attacked by my controlled monster until I am unsuppressed as well as the spellcasting one.

Darrin
2009-01-26, 10:45 AM
But what happens if you get Dispel Magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dispelMagic.htm) cast on you?

Use a template. Incarnate Construct or Effigy can turn you into a construct.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-01-26, 11:35 AM
I don't really want to play as a construct, because that would be given away to easily. Plus, I just want a caster, not something capable in melee combat.

If there is a silence spell on the outside of the hollow of the ring (sculpted), it can still say the spells, but no one outside can hear. In Tome of Magic, the truenamer has a small section saying "The Universe Hears Just Fine." I don't think the enemy has to hear you cast fireball to be burnt.

I was thinking a ring of protection +1, with mage hand at will and the little silence thing inside of it. How balanced would that be compared to other characters?

WJLIII3
2009-01-26, 12:56 PM
If there is a silence spell on the outside of the hollow of the ring (sculpted), it can still say the spells, but no one outside can hear. In Tome of Magic, the truenamer has a small section saying "The Universe Hears Just Fine." I don't think the enemy has to hear you cast fireball to be burnt.

Its been pretty well established throughout D&D's history that a Silence spell makes it impossible to cast spells with verbal components. That is, in fact, the entire reason the Silence spell exists. The spell states it specifically, as well. The Universe Hears You Just Fine section refers specifically to Truenamer Utterances, because they draw on a deeper power.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-01-26, 01:02 PM
I know, I love using silence on casters, but what I am trying to say is: A caster would be able to cast silence if he was in a bubble of silence that did not have him in its area.

O O O
O X O
O O O

The caster is on square X, which is not affected by silence, but all the squares O are affected.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-01-26, 01:15 PM
As a sorcerer, I don't want to have a familiar (that would look weird). What would a good alternate class feature be? And no, I don't want metamagic specialist from PHB2.

Fixer
2009-01-26, 08:07 PM
From what I am reading, you have a very specific idea of what you want to play and our discussions of game balance are not registering.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-01-26, 08:16 PM
I am trying to build at least part of a campain on this, and I don't want the PCs to be able to find out. If strange noises that an easy spellcraft check identifies as the spells being cast come from the ring, it will be pretty easy to figure out.

bosssmiley
2009-01-27, 06:02 AM
I was wondering...

Would it be possible to have an intelligent item for a character? For example, could it be a wizard and constantly use the still spell feat?

Are you kidding me? How would an item interact with the world? Who would carry it about? How would it use level-appropriate magic items to stay on the expected WBL/power curve? (and the first person to say, or - Pelor forbid - stat, a "VoP intelligent item PC" earns a special place in munchkin hell :smallamused: ) How would it gain class levels? In short: what use would it be as a player character? :smallconfused:

Sure, D&D is a pretty flexible system. But I sincerely doubt that a magic item is a viable PC.

MickJay
2009-01-27, 06:38 AM
I am trying to build at least part of a campain on this, and I don't want the PCs to be able to find out. If strange noises that an easy spellcraft check identifies as the spells being cast come from the ring, it will be pretty easy to figure out.

They might still figure it out soon, and they might get annoyed by the weird things going on around them if they don't, too. It's risky.

Still, what about sundering? As I see it, it could be instant and permanent kill.

Person_Man
2009-01-27, 11:18 AM
There are two easy ways to do this. You can be a weapon with the Dancing property, so that you can control yourself. Or you can have high Int/Wis/Cha, so that you can win an Ego battle with whoever picks you up, and control them. (Or both).

Canadian
2009-01-27, 01:18 PM
I want to use intelligent characters as items.

MickJay
2009-01-27, 04:00 PM
I want to use intelligent characters as items.

Play Vampire: Masquerade, as Tzimisce vampire you can make any intelligent (or not) character into an item of your choosing and use them in any way you can imagine :smallbiggrin:

Olo Demonsbane
2009-01-27, 04:19 PM
They might still figure it out soon, and they might get annoyed by the weird things going on around them if they don't, too. It's risky.

Still, what about sundering? As I see it, it could be instant and permanent kill.

Well, I doubt they will figure it out soon because I convinced my DM to give everyone starting equipment, which includes a couple magic items for each of them. If they suspect an intellegent item as the cause, they will have to look through a lot of items. Plus, it could be made from lead :smallbiggrin:.

If they manage to figure it out before I want them to, I can just add hoc it. Thats how I run some of my adventures anyway.

I doubt they will be annoyed because I am mostly playing a GOD/Controller wizard. It is unlikely that they will be annoyed about being hasted. If they manage to roleplay their character's annoyance, that could also be interesting.

Sundering is just attacking an object. I have hardness and hp as if I was a sorcerer of my level with 10 Constitution. They cant even damage me unless they have a higher weapon bonus/DR bonus than my enhancement bonus... How often does an orc with a magical sword attack your ring anyway? If it does and be some chance kill me... oh, well, thats just as likely as another character being killed.

NeoVid
2009-01-27, 04:44 PM
Try gestalting Psion/Factotum. You will be the ring that rules them all. Psion casting, sor/wiz spells as spell-likes, 6+int skill points and whatever skills you want most, and an ability that lets you use your Int mod on Str and Dex skills and checks... when you won't have Str or Dex, but crazy high Int. Fun times.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-01-27, 05:10 PM
Try gestalting Psion/Factotum. You will be the ring that rules them all. Psion casting, sor/wiz spells as spell-likes, 6+int skill points and whatever skills you want most, and an ability that lets you use your Int mod on Str and Dex skills and checks... when you won't have Str or Dex, but crazy high Int. Fun times.

Thanks for the idea! Could you use this to, for example, bash down doors even if you don't have a strength score...

For everyone who has ballance issues with this, remember that I will not be getting very much/any treasure until the characters discover my identity. I can only snag a few things when they are not looking, for example...

Psion/Factotum. Factotum is from dungeonscape, right? I think I need to go reread that class...

EDIT: I think I will start as Psion/Sorcerer, then at 4th level multiclass into Cerembrancer/Factotum. Would this work?

Prak
2009-01-27, 05:26 PM
Not only that, but the lute is a better bard than the bard wielding it, and he'll never let his owner live it down.

the lute can't move. Ie, it can't play itself. So until a DM okays Perform (sit there and do nothing) the cohort's actually the better bard, regardless of levels.

What would be kinda cool would be an intelligent apparatus of kwalish.

Play Vampire: Masquerade, as Tzimisce vampire you can make any intelligent (or not) character into an item of your choosing and use them in any way you can imagine :smallbiggrin:
I think they have to still be flesh...

NeoVid
2009-01-27, 06:21 PM
Psion/Factotum. Factotum is from dungeonscape, right? I think I need to go reread that class...

EDIT: I think I will start as Psion/Sorcerer, then at 4th level multiclass into Cerembrancer/Factotum. Would this work?

Yep, Dungeonscape. Great class.

You should get Factotum at 1st level, since you shouldn't miss out on the 6+Int x4 that you'd get by taking a skillmonkey class at 1st.

With Factotum/Psion gestalt, you'll already have so many abilities on hand for every situation that you won't even need any more. Also, both are Int centric, which will make things easier on you. Sorcerer and Cerebremancer seem fairly unnecessary, since you'll get some Sor/wiz spells from Factotum, and Cerebremancer costs you good class abilities.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-01-27, 09:15 PM
You should get Factotum at 1st level, since you shouldn't miss out on the 6+Int x4 that you'd get by taking a skillmonkey class at 1st.

My DM uses screwed up versions of some UA rules, so the highest skill bonus works for your skills (almost no skill dipping though :smallannoyed:)

With Factotum/Psion gestalt, you'll already have so many abilities on hand for every situation that you won't even need any more. Also, both are Int centric, which will make things easier on you. Sorcerer and Cerebremancer seem fairly unnecessary, since you'll get some Sor/wiz spells from Factotum, and Cerebremancer costs you good class abilities.

I like to have lots of spell possibilities, and with Cerebremancer I won't miss out on a single spell level :smallbiggrin:.

The Factotum is good, but I don't want to make that my primary thing: spellcasting is my usual, and Ill use inspiration for everything else.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-01-30, 05:13 PM
The party has been decided on:
A rouge/wizard, focusing on rays with sneak attacks and utility spells, and plans to multiclass to prestige bard/rouge.
A fighter/swordsage, charge maniac with Leap attack and tons of feats.
ME, a ring sorcerer/psion, GOD extrodinare
A bard (or cleric)/fighter, who I don't know that much about...

Any advice?