PDA

View Full Version : The Giant's way of telling us.

Zeitgeist
2009-01-25, 04:44 PM
In the past, I've noticed discussions come up (multiple times) in the forums and at some point in the future, the Giant makes a comic poking fun at and/or specifically dispelling any idea of the theory being true (see: Miko being raised as undead, for one example).

Being that this recent comic had an attempt to "convert/convince" V to join up with evil, and V seems to consider it, then shows that his/her consideration was fake by trying to zap the imp, do you think this recent comic is a way of the Giant saying, "No, V is not turning evil. Get over it"?

NeonRonin
2009-01-25, 04:52 PM
Either that or he's doing a Terry Gilliam fakeout... present a plot twist, then give us all a moment or two to figure we've got the actual situation figured out, then BAM! Pull the rug out from beneath and hit us with something totally unexpected.

Personally, I think that imp is learning the classical adage, 'it's not easy being green'. :smallbiggrin:

TheSummoner
2009-01-25, 05:39 PM
Oh sure, Qarr might not be having much luck now, but I think V might put some thought into that virgin blood idea... and if Qarr were to come back with a few vials of the stuff...

[TS] Shadow
2009-01-25, 05:40 PM
I think the "Plot Holes for Dummies" was his jab at our forum community for now. We'll get another one when Belkar dies, for sure.

Zack Norglad
2009-01-25, 06:02 PM
Shadow;5696958']I think the "Plot Holes for Dummies" was his jab at our forum community for now. We'll get another one when Belkar dies, for sure.

This is a moment that I'm waiting for. Cuz I don't want it to happen!
There got to be some catch about Belkar, I mean, were told that a major character will die...

Regarding V...
I hope he/she holds on...
But the anger is strong in him...

Emilinah Adams
2009-01-25, 07:18 PM
The Oracle did tell V that she would gain ultimate arcane power by speaking with the right person at the right time... Not saying Qarr is the right person but he does know big bad Demons that might be able to make V a deal for the power she seeks. She seems to be willing to go to any lengths to get Sir Greenhilt and Hailey back...

Solara
2009-01-25, 07:45 PM
Being that this recent comic had an attempt to "convert/convince" V to join up with evil, and V seems to consider it, then shows that his/her consideration was fake by trying to zap the imp, do you think this recent comic is a way of the Giant saying, "No, V is not turning evil. Get over it"?

It seems to me that those kind of throwaway jokes usually turn up when there's lots and lots of people expecting/assuming something that there's been no foreshadowing or evidence of in the strip (undead Miko, etc.)

In this case it's slightly different, the Giant has been deliberately giving the impression that V might be going evil for quite awhile now, and the thing with Quarr was set up several strips ago. So my take on it is that whichever way things go, this is a legitimate and important part of the plot, not simply an amusing jab at overly excitable forumers.

David Argall
2009-01-25, 08:26 PM
Until V actually hits Qarr with something like disintegrate, the situation is indefinite. And drawing out a joke is a standard procedure. We can expect Qarr to "court" V for several strips before we find out for sure whether V is turning evil.

Optimystik
2009-01-26, 02:01 AM

The fact that V's biggest issue with using blood as a spell component is the difficulty of acquiring it says otherwise, to my mind.

A good character (and most neutrals) would have stopped at the "reprehensible and depraved" bit.

Morgan Wick
2009-01-26, 02:30 PM
The Oracle did tell V that she would gain ultimate arcane power by speaking with the right person at the right time... Not saying Qarr is the right person but he does know big bad Demons that might be able to make V a deal for the power she seeks. She seems to be willing to go to any lengths to get Sir Greenhilt and Hailey back...

I wonder if V approaches the right being, one who is actually good, but doesn't tell that right being that s/he's there at the bequest of Qarr or the exact reason s/he's asking for it, thus being for all the wrong reasons.

Kaytara
2009-01-26, 02:46 PM
The fact that V's biggest issue with using blood as a spell component is the difficulty of acquiring it says otherwise, to my mind.

A good character (and most neutrals) would have stopped at the "reprehensible and depraved" bit.

In this case, though, there's something else to consider. Qarr is trying to prove that his contributions could be helpful in V's research. He gives his first idea, one that is wrong for a number of reasons, which V lists, but the biggest problem is that the idea isn't helpful because, all moral ramifications aside, they do not have access to that spell component. This makes Qarr's status as potentially helpful highly suspect.

While Vaarsuvius clearly seems to prefer expediency over squeamishness, there's a good reason "highly impractical" is something V deems most important in this situation.

Holammer
2009-01-26, 03:08 PM
Unless Qarr is actually disintegrated/reduced to dust. The future of V is still undecided. I'm with David Argall on this.

Kaytara
2009-01-26, 03:21 PM
Unless Qarr is actually disintegrated/reduced to dust. The future of V is still undecided. I'm with David Argall on this.

I don't think that's really a possibility, at this point. There's been far too much ominous foreshadowing for this encounter for it to be resolved with a successful Disintegrate from V - because in that case, all we'd get from the arc is some more insight into V's personality. Which is nice, of course, but doesn't measure up to the hype.

The Minx
2009-01-26, 03:43 PM
I don't think that's really a possibility, at this point. There's been far too much ominous foreshadowing for this encounter for it to be resolved with a successful Disintegrate from V - because in that case, all we'd get from the arc is some more insight into V's personality. Which is nice, of course, but doesn't measure up to the hype.

Indeed. Not just the hype but the number of strips spent on this encounter, and the amount of time spent with Quarr in general. If the imp gets toasted now, and V just gets on with his research, the whole Kubota storyline was nothing more than distraction. Since Kubota himself got reduced to dust, the result of the arc was to (1) introduce Quarr, and (2) alienate V from the remains of the Order. This is presumably the set-up for something important. Unless something really unexpected happens.

King of Nowhere
2009-01-26, 04:11 PM
I think the Giant uses our reaction to see what other people may think reading the comic. For example, all the theories about Roy being able to manifest somehow, I don't think it was Rich poking fun at the forum, it's rather Rich thinking "lot of people is wondering wheter condition X and Y will make Roy able to manifest. Then it's probably something a normal person can think, too. For the storiline purpose, I need to dispel such belief".
I think all this arc was intended as a good inside into V a(nd maybe as something more) from the beginning

xanaphia
2009-01-26, 05:30 PM
I think that V will turn evil, just because it seems amusing.

I agree with the Mynx.

hamishspence
2009-01-26, 05:36 PM
you know, one could make the case that V is already Evil, but is a "for the Greater good" type, and the change would be to Card Carrying Villain.

I think however, that V is probably not Evil yet (though it would be only a small surprise if I was wrong)- he's so close to the borderline though that a case can be easily made for both Evil and Not Evil.

Ladorak
2009-01-26, 08:21 PM
There was a theory mentioned in another thread, I didn't agree with all of it but it did mention that V might use virgin's blood and because the Cloister spell has ended it works and V is convinced that the imp has some value (Maybe it's Quaar's blood:smallsmile:).

Nothing else to add aside to say that Terry Gilliam is in no way in the Giant's league.

Selene
2009-01-27, 01:32 AM
V's not evil yet. His robe is still red. Red robes turn black when you go evil. :smalltongue:

magic9mushroom
2009-01-27, 01:54 AM
you know, one could make the case that V is already Evil, but is a "for the Greater good" type, and the change would be to Card Carrying Villain.

I think however, that V is probably not Evil yet (though it would be only a small surprise if I was wrong)- he's so close to the borderline though that a case can be easily made for both Evil and Not Evil.

A "for the greater good" type is usually Chaotic Good or Chaotic Neutral.

If V loses sight of the goal, then she will become Evil.

Anteros
2009-01-27, 02:00 AM
I thought it was pretty clear that V's biggest hangup with Qarr's offer was that he/she would need to waste a couple of weeks.

EyethatBinds
2009-01-27, 04:43 AM
A "for the greater good" type is usually Chaotic Good or Chaotic Neutral.

I tend to think of "for the greater good" types as lawful and normally evil. Ever notice how the greater good never seems that good objectively?

hamishspence
2009-01-27, 10:56 AM
Classic example of Evil group that thinks they are Good- the Victorious Blade of the People- Faerun. They see humans as a threat to the elven people that must be eliminated.

there are others in D&D sourcebooks.

Tiak
2009-01-27, 10:00 PM
After reading all of these posts I just wanted to pop in and say
TERRY GILLIAM ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Time bandits........ and i really doubt that v will turn evil. Just saying.

Lerky
2009-01-27, 10:22 PM
In the past, I've noticed discussions come up (multiple times) in the forums and at some point in the future, the Giant makes a comic poking fun at and/or specifically dispelling any idea of the theory being true (see: Miko being raised as undead, for one example).

:smallconfused:well it makes sense...at the least.

David Argall
2009-01-28, 02:09 AM

The basic problem is that this assumes what is denied, that our writer pays much attention to what we write here. Granted, our writer pays more attention than he admits, as is shown by his posting responses at times, but his claim is hardly unreasonable, and the idea he is reading for ideas has more to do with our egos than any facts.
Recall here that these so-called responses are things he could easily think up himself. A review of most of the threads reveals several people getting the same [often bad] idea. If several people can independently get these ideas, why should we not assume that our writer does as well?