PDA

View Full Version : Having Some Fun (shield of bashing)

ObsidianRose
2009-01-25, 05:17 PM
Alright, just because it interested me so much, here's a build I toyed around with. I wanted to see if I could do anything silly with a spiked shield of bashing. It's no uber charger, but it's better than I thought it could be.

Alright, here are the few premises I'm operating on:
Centaurs attack and are treated as mounted creatures
A character can wield a weapon one size larger than they woiuld otherwise be able to use, but must wield it in two hands, at a -2 penalty.
A shield can be used a main hand weapon.
The spiked slam ability from Blood-spiked charger can be combined with a charge

Now then, the build.

Centaur Figher 4 (ECL 10)

Flaw, Weapon Focus (spiked shield)
Flaw, (Mounted Combat)
Centaur 1 (Battle Jump)
Centaur 2
Centaur 3 (Ride by attack)
Centaur 4
Fighter 1(Power attack)
Fighter 2(Weapon Focus [spiked armor]) (Spirited Charge)
Fighter 3
Fighter 4(Blood-spiked charger)

Relevant ability scores: Str 30 (18 base + 8 racial + 2 HD increase + 2 magic item) I'm gonna be kind of conservative about this one.

Now, for the effects. I know the damage doesn't set any records, but it's fun.

First, we drink a potion of rhino's rush.

We start with our weapon damage. A large spiked shield of bashing is 3d6, but we're going to go up one size and wield it in both hands, as a 4d6 weapon.

So we have:

4d6 (weapon) + 1d8 (bonus from blood-spiked charger) + 60 (blood spiked charger) + 16 (power attack) +15 (strength bonus on a 2 handed weapon) , or an average of 109.5 Let's round that to 110 for my convenience.

Now, that fun little battle jump ability kicks in, doubling this. Rhino's rush triples it, and spirited charge quadruples it. That's 440 damage. On average. 550 on a crit.

If I'm insane and you can't potion rhino's rush, get some cross class UMD or something.

So shield of bashing isn't OP, but it's not worthless, is it?

Forget sword and board, we have board.

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 06:04 PM
Couple things.

A) You can't assume that a centaur counts as a mounted rider. Its very clear if you read the feats.

B) A Potion of Rhino's Rush would not work. A Wand would, because of the rules in the Rules Compendium, but a Potion is not a Spell Trigger item.

C) Battle Jump is a regional feat, which means it can only be taken at level 1, and the person has to be from the region or know of the region (2 ranks in Knowledge Local)

Now lets break the damage down.
From weapon: 14
Not from weapon:96
% from weapon 12.7%
% not from weapon:87.3%

So, we see that most of the damage in fact comes from other factors than the base weapon damage. The only reason to use that weapon choice matters in this case is because of Blood Spiked Charger.

ObsidianRose
2009-01-25, 06:09 PM
Alright, I'll switch the feats around a little.

Nail on the head, though. The focus was blood-spiked charger. A wand of rhino's rush wouldn't be a problem, and the centaurs counting as mounted was in my list of little allowances, as mentioned at the beginning of my post.

So for future reference, we are pretending that everyone has a DM like the one who once let me treat my centaur as being mounted at all times.

ObsidianRose
2009-01-26, 06:18 PM
Bump for great justice?

No other commentary on this?