PDA

View Full Version : Luck, please!

Vella_Malachite
2009-01-25, 06:00 PM
It's official. In two days, at 8:45 am, I will undertake the test necessary to enter the ranks of those able to drive an automobile!:smalleek:

Yes, I am going for my learner's permit in two days. Why anyone would want to put me in charge of a machine that goes really fast and runs on explosions, I have no idea, but if the system is that easily exploitable, I'm taking it! :smallwink::smalltongue:

I've pretty much learned the book, and I consistently pass the practice tests on the website, so all that's left now is plenty of luck.

Felixaar
2009-01-25, 06:01 PM
Woo! You can do it Vella! You don't need luck!

Mordokai
2009-01-25, 06:01 PM
Woman behind the wheel! Run for your lives! :smalleek:

Just kidding :smallbiggrin: The best of luck to you :smallsmile:

Rutskarn
2009-01-25, 06:02 PM
May the gods of Not Crashing Into Crap ride shotgun, good Vella.

What's that? Written test?

Okay, you're screwed. As every student knows, as far as multiple choice goes, there is no god.

Warpfire
2009-01-25, 06:10 PM
Meh, from what I remember it wasn't that hard. Didn't even really study and still passed.

Then again, if you don't live in America it could be different. Here, we pretty much let anyone drive. I mean, you don't even have to take a test or anything for your actual license if your parents sign off. At least in my state.

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-25, 06:12 PM
The permit test is one of the easiest things ever. :smallsmile: Good luck!!

Canadian
2009-01-25, 10:03 PM
I wish you good skill! I don't like it when people get to drive because they passed based upon luck. There are too many bad drivers on the road already. So no luck for you. Skill only.

Don't sweat it. You'll pass. Unless you're mentally handicapped. In which case you shouldn't be allowed to drive anyway.

xyzzy
2009-01-26, 12:36 AM
NUMBERS.

Memorize every single number you see. While your state's test is probably different (I don't know where you live, so it's possible we're in the same...), as a general rule there will be several questions that ask you to recall, say, the number of feet away from something before making some action (which, you'll find once you start driving, is completely pointless. The purpose of those rules is a guideline for making it so other drivers know what you're doing, but you'll quickly develop an instinct for what others assume of you, and unusual situations mean those rules are completely thrown out the window all the time) or other weird things. Also, don't assume any information won't be on the test --- I recall getting a question about funeral processions, and while there supposedly aren't trick questions there sure are some stupid questions.

Good luck!

Dallas-Dakota
2009-01-26, 01:23 AM
Goo you! Vella!
You don't need no luck, you're good enough to do it!

But all the same, good luck!

Silence
2009-01-26, 08:56 AM
Best of luck, good buddy!

PhantomFox
2009-01-26, 10:46 AM
Luck of the Vulpine go with you. :biggrin:

Dragonrider
2009-01-26, 11:09 AM
Good luck, good luck!

The permit test is one of the easiest things ever. :smallsmile: Good luck!!

...unless you live in Oregon, in which case it's an agonizing 40-question monster. There were questions like

"You're coming out of an alley onto a one-way street. What should you do before you turn out into it?"

With a li'l picture and then four answers.

It's pretty easy when you've driven, but it's hard to get that kind of stuff from just reading the manual, and there's the unfortunate little fact that you're not allowed to drive OR take drivers' ed till you have your permit. :smalltongue:

...yeah, I failed the first time, can you tell? :smallamused: But I'm a horrible guesser and when I was studying I didn't see what the point of learning the answer to "how many days after you move are you supposed to file a change of address with the DMV?" on a permit test.

But I got 100% on my license written!

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-26, 11:17 AM
Ah. In MD it was 7 questions and one of them was "Which of these is a stop sign?"

unstattedCommoner
2009-01-26, 11:30 AM
"You're coming out of an alley onto a one-way street. What should you do before you turn out into it?"

Check for idiots driving the wrong way on a one-way street.

TwoBitWriter
2009-01-26, 11:45 AM
Good luck! You are embarking on a magical journey of talking your way out of traffic tickets, staying out a bit too late, and breaking down at the side of the road during the winter. :smallamused:

Flame of Anor
2009-01-26, 12:29 PM
Good luck! Here in IL, the test was really easy, though. Definitely remember numbers--how far lights have to be seen, following distances, stopping distances, etc., etc.

Trebuchet
2009-01-26, 12:36 PM
Good luck. Anyone with your intelligent sense of humor should do very well.

Felixaar
2009-01-26, 08:06 PM

This jumps to mind...

"You're coming out of an alley onto a one-way street. Assuming that God is infinite, and that the Universe is also infinite... Would you like some toast?"

Too much Red Dwarf for me...

also: floor it.

averagejoe
2009-01-27, 01:31 AM
Woman behind the wheel! Run for your lives! :smalleek:

Hey, if you don't like how she drives you can just stay off the road.

And off the sidewalk.

And away from any buildings.

In fact, it's probably just best if you leave the city altogether.

Check for traps!

Thanatos 51-50
2009-01-27, 03:17 AM

Perception Check for Plot Hooks.

Vella_Malachite
2009-01-27, 05:09 AM
Yeah, our test down here (Australia) is a 32-question test. Some questions are pretty hard, as in complex, some of them are hard, but if you read the answers, two out of three eliminate themselves because they're the responses the sarcastic pyromaniac sadists choose because it's funny (What should you do if you see a crash scene? A. Pull up next to the car and turn on your hazard lights to warn people, B. Call an ambulance on your mobile phone or C. Stand in the middle of the road and wave your arms). And others are really nonsensically easy: [picture of a Slippery Road sign] What does this sign mean?

So yeah, I should be OK. Thanks for the support everyone! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

No-one wants the job of Multiple Choice Exam God, because they'd have nothing to do. Mind you, the Patron Saint of Multiple Choice Exams'd have the cushiest jobs in the history of mankind. Ever. Including when I got paid $40 for watching TV for four hours. (babysitting sleeping kids is a cinch).:smalltongue: