PDA

View Full Version : Inspire Courage and Undead

Zergrusheddie
2009-01-25, 08:47 PM
After about a month off, the group is finally getting back together to play some DnD (damn you, LotRO!). My Monk has walked off into the sunset and I have rolled up a Bard/Warblade. I've got the character fleshed and pretty confident it will help the party. With DFI, I'll be adding 4d6 to everyone's swings, which is pretty nice.

However, the Cleric is Evil and has about 6 Undead skellies with him on a regular basis. Would Dragonfire Inspiration affect them? Can an Undead receive Moral Bonuses?...

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 08:51 PM
Requiem, a feat from Libris Mortis (the Book of Bad Latin) requires 8 ranks in Perform and any bardic music. Find it on the bottom of page 29. It extends your [Mind Affecting] music attempts to undead, although at 1/2 duration.

Now, the question is, is IC [Mind Affecting]? If so, you'd need Requiem. If not, you wouldn't need it to affect undead.

EDIT:
Yup, the very last line of IC on page 29 states such "Inspire Courage is a mind-affecting ability.

So, yea, you'd have to grab Requiem as feat sometime after level 5. You could take it at 6 if you didn't have something else you'd want to take.

It would be really good, because it would increase the effectiveness of all the skells.

Plus, since TECHNICALLY, you never have to stop an IC performance, the 1/2 duration isn't a factor. If you get stunned or silenced though, your IC would only affect the skells for 2 rounds, instead of the usual 5, unless you have Lingering Song or wield a Harmonizing weapon, which would extend the IC to 5 rounds on undead, 10 rounds on other people.

Epinephrine
2009-01-25, 09:40 PM
Plus, since TECHNICALLY, you never have to stop an IC performance, the 1/2 duration isn't a factor.

If you're suggesting that the bard should be able to keep an IC up at all times, that's a fairly silly bit of RAW. I'd be about ready to punch the bard out after 20 minutes of the same song. I think a Will save DC 5+1 per minute the song has been going on is appropriate to avoid commiting violence on either the instrument or bard.

Alleine
2009-01-25, 09:51 PM
If you're suggesting that the bard should be able to keep an IC up at all times, that's a fairly silly bit of RAW. I'd be about ready to punch the bard out after 20 minutes of the same song. I think a Will save DC 5+1 per minute the song has been going on is appropriate to avoid commiting violence on either the instrument or bard.

who says it's the same song? People can end a song, keep playing, and just smoothly lead into another.

Zergrusheddie
2009-01-25, 10:12 PM

That reminds of a story:

A few years back, my father was playing a Bard in a campaign. The DM was being an ass and announced "For roleplaying purposes, I think you should actually play the flute while using Inspire Courage." My father has about the same musical prowess with a flute as he does with his belches; he knew this wasn't going to end well.

Half way through the night, one of the players (it was his house) "Demanded" the flute back. His statement: "Kevin, give me the goddamn flute or it's going up <an orifice which flutes are not made to go>! You can have it back when you leave, but you're not playing it now."

Keld Denar
2009-01-25, 10:19 PM

Some epic sagas were stories that took a whole evening to recite. Its not like you are singing the Song That Never Ends all day, or anything...because you know...some people started singing it, not knowing what it was. But they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that never ends. Yes it goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was. But they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that never ends. Yes it goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was. But they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that never ends. Yes it goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was. But they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that never ends. Yes it goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was. But they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that never ends. Yes it goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was. But they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that never ends. Yes it goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was. But they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that never ends. Yes it goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was. But they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that never ends. Yes it goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was. But they'll continue singing it forever jus...POWER ATTACK!

Starbuck_II
2009-01-25, 11:10 PM
I loved Lamb Chop.

Did you type all of that above or copy paste?

Prometheus
2009-01-25, 11:20 PM
...some people started singing it, not knowing what it was. But they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that never ends. Yes it goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was. But they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that never ends. Yes it goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was. But they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that never ends...
That's not a song, that's a Countersong!

Keld Denar
2009-01-26, 12:13 AM
I loved Lamb Chop.

Did you type all of that above or copy paste?

I typed it all out...I'm that bored! Make your new characters already RAWR!

BRC
2009-01-26, 12:15 AM
My next bard will have Perform: Wear Silly Hat. While he is wearing his silly hat, he is automatically considered to be performing.

Keld Denar
2009-01-26, 12:24 AM
My next bard will have Perform: Wear Silly Hat. While he is wearing his silly hat, he is automatically considered to be performing.

How about Perform: Be Nonchalant

That way, you could not care so hard people would be inspired by it.

Alternately, you could become an Exemplar, and Diplomacize people with other skills you are really good at.

(Hide) I can't see him, but I'm compelled to follow him!
(Move Silent) Did you hear that? No, neither did I, but I'm compelled to bow and worship!
(Heal) Its a miracle! He just saved that man from dying! Praise!!!!
(Spot) How did he know I'm 15 minutes pregnant? I must name my child after him!

etc...

FinalJustice
2009-01-26, 12:52 AM
On a side note, it was very frustrating when the bard of my group was giving everyone 8d6 of DFI damage and my character wasn't affected because he had Mind Blank up.

Heliomance
2009-01-26, 06:28 AM
That's not a song, that's a Countersong!

nah, it's the Virtuoso ability. jarring song. Any spellcaster within earshot has to make a concentration check with DC your perform check or any spell with a vocal component fails.

Swooper
2009-01-26, 09:50 AM
I claim rights to a bard that uses Perform: Silly Walks :smallbiggrin:

Eldariel
2009-01-26, 09:57 AM
So wait, you want to play M. J.?

Tyrmatt
2009-01-26, 11:21 AM
I claim rights to a bard that uses Perform: Silly Walks :smallbiggrin:

One of my groups came close to killing me for announcing at the top of my lungs at 2am that my character was "PIIIINNNIIIING FOR THE FJJJJOORRRRDS!!
I may or may not have imbibed a vast quantity of beer :p
Mmm, I like the idea of an undead boosting bard. I'll need to get a homebrewin'

Person_Man
2009-01-26, 11:52 AM
FYI, using Dragonfire Inspiration every combat is a bad idea. If the average damage of every party member is X points higher, then the DM must increase the difficulty of each encounter by X in order to challenge them. You gain nothing, and combat becomes far more repetitive because you're doing the same exact thing every time.

Instead, just rely on normal attacks and manuevers. Only break out your best stuff for when you're fighting a very hard battle, or when you get bored and want to mix it up.