PDA

View Full Version : Dame Morbid's Tourney, Team 4

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-26, 06:41 AM
Time continues to pass in the bunkhouse where combatants are allowed free room and board. "Allowed" is a somewhat misleading term--it is prohibited to leave the confines of the arena until the fights are over. The free lunch is delicious, if unidentifiable. A rough circle of gladiators is forming around a screaming argument near the south wall, where two scarred youths are debating morality with a priest of Ioun. Bets have begun to circulate on which one will be maimed before the guards intervene (again) when a rude-sounding horn blares once more. An otherwise mute hobgoblin stands by the doors, his tarnished horn still bellowing out one note. Another round is starting up, and he motions to five people in turn.

You know the rules. Looking around, you size up the people who will be backing you up in fights that will likely be lethal. The combatants in the room who weren't chosen turn back to their meals or the incipient fight.

You suit up, and are led into the tunnel leading to the arena's main area. A low rumble becomes a deafening roar as you near the crowd. A chill wind blows through the portcullis at the end of the tunnel, and a scarred man at the entryway says "You'd best be getting your introductions out of the way now--you won't have any time once the fighting starts."

Boddan
2009-01-26, 10:47 AM
Ambrosia: gets asked if she's in the right place often.

39/39 AC20 Fort14 Ref15 Will20

A very tiny, very beautiful elven woman enters the tunnel. She is wearing pristine chainmail armor and well kept gear from which flowers are hanging and images of summer are painted upon. A far cry from the usual scarred brute toting skulls about.
The cleric of Pelor speaks softly and humbly to each of the approaching team members:

"Great things will be accomplished by us five."

Ambrosia finishes the greeting with a small bow before returning her attention back to the arena entrance.

Initiative: [roll0]

String
2009-01-26, 12:11 PM
Devis:
41/41Hp AC 18 Fort 14 Ref 16 Will 17

A half-elf man with a thin beard and a thinner frame steps forward, twirling what is either a white wand or a conductor's baton between the fingers of his right hand. His armor consists of hide wrapped around his waist, forearms and legs, leaving his chest in a light beige tunic. His free hand rests on the pommel of the rapier hanging at his side, and a shield is slung across his back. He turns to Ambrosia.

"Great things have always been done in this place. I've no doubt that when the day is through, the poets will be chanting our praises." he says, "My name is Devis. I've a smattering of spellwork studied, and a bit of swordplay learned. Student of many, Master of none and all that."

Initiative 1d20+3

Crucival
2009-01-26, 12:31 PM
Alfarael, call him Alf and see if he electrocutes you.

47/47 hp AC 23 Fort 18 Ref 18 Will 16

Alfarael nods quietly to everyone nearby, and then slides his sword out of its sheath. The otherworldliness of his features and the odd color of his spiky hair leave little doubt that his lineage is not entirely human.

"The name's Alfarael. I'll be watching your backs today, with blade and spell."
He smirks, but it's grim. "May our enemies die well...or may they at least grant the same boon to us."

String
2009-01-27, 01:21 AM
One last try [roll0]

Merlin the Tuna
2009-01-27, 11:10 PM
Immeola Meluria

"Really now, is this how we want to be getting ready for maybe the biggest performance of our lives so far?" a short, slim elf laughs from behind Alfarael with a wide grin and a hearty eye roll. He may or may not have been making sarcastic faces behind the Genasi's back. He pushes his long blond hair back behind a red bandanna and pulls a trio of knives out of the bandolier across his chest. "A little levity goes a long way, y'know," he remarks as he begins to juggle them. After a few seconds, he realizes his mistake and sheathes two, then reaches up to tip an imaginary cap. "Immeola Meluria. Pleasure to meet you."

Immeola turns to the doorman and smiles as he uses his free hand to draw a rapier. "And a pleasure to meet you, Smiles."

And as the saying goes... If you've got it, flaunt it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/MerlintheTuna/Avatars/Immeola.png?t=1232077478

OneFamiliarFace
2009-01-28, 10:15 AM
Topher Snowglobe

A slightly balding, middle-aged man with the barest of paunches steps up to the door holding a cold, iron staff and a small, snowy orb. His eyes widen at how willing everyone seems to be joining combat soon. He rubs at a lump on his head, and then his jaw sets. He is as ready as he will get, he supposes.

"I am called Topher. I hope it will be a pleasure to learn from and not die next to you. I'll try to keep the tough ones off you, and you kept the tough ones off me. Uhh... deal?"

OneFamiliarFace
2009-01-28, 10:21 AM

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-29, 03:33 AM
A hush falls over the arena as the five adventurers are led out into the sun. The arena is a square area, depressed about 10 feet into the ground. Elevated above the fighting pit are rows and rows of graduated stone bleachers. At the very top at the far end sits Dame Morbid, flanked by two oddly proportioned trolls, her face obscured by a veil.

Inside the arena, the terrain is drastically altered from the sandy pit you had seen before. The ring is half-submerged in murky water. Rocky islands rise above the lake, connected by wooden bridges. The islands at the far side of the arena are strewn with corpses, their armor torn apart by vicious claws. A ten-foot-tall wall of ice bisects the farthest island. On the other side of the wall, you can make out the vicious shape of a gigantic black dragon. It lifts a dripping head from its latest kill to glare through the wall at you, and lets out an earsplitting shriek that echoes through the arena.

Fight's on.

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-29, 03:53 AM
Battle Report:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g280/Inyssius/r1.png
Initiative:
27 Black Dragon (delaying)
26 Immeola (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=21163)
22 Ambrosia (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=104027)
20 Alfarael (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=101937)
10 Topher (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=101252)
09 Devis (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=103833)

Boddan
2009-01-29, 07:33 PM
Ambrosia: says EEP

39/39 AC22 Fort14 Ref15 Will20

With wide eyes and a clearing of the throat, Ambrosia tries to remain steadfast.

The cleric will move up behind her companions after she blesses them all with Pelor's guard.

Standard (might have to do after movement if Immeola moves to far away)
Shield of Faith: We all gain +2 AC until the end of the encounter.

Move= Ill move up behind the front liners and remain 2-3 spaces behind em as space allows. I won't be gettin in no water either!

OOC: What be the 2 black squares and the two wee triangles near them? If we can know that is.
Also, I damn near took Wavestrider boots for the hell of it but thought "Nahhh we'll never see water in here!" =D

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-29, 08:00 PM
OOC: What be the 2 black squares and the two wee triangles near them?

Oh, my bad. The black squares are just more rock pillars, and the triangles are floating shards of a smashed bridge (difficult terrain).

Also, I damn near took Wavestrider boots for the hell of it but thought "Nahhh we'll never see water in here!" =D

Never fails! Ever!

Merlin the Tuna
2009-01-29, 11:45 PM
Immeola
41/41 HP; 8/8 Surges | AC: 23 | Fort: 17 | Ref: 21 | Will: 17

The elf relaxes his stance for a moment as he blinks at the sight of his opponent. "Huh. How 'bout that." When the beast lets out its cry, Immeola sobers just enough to advance across the first bridge and ready himself for the coming onslaught.

Move Action: To E-12
Standard Action: Total defense
Minor Action: Distasteful hand gestures

I've already added Shield of Faith and Total Defense into my header.

Crucival
2009-01-30, 12:11 AM
Alfarael
47/47 hp AC 25 Fort 20 Ref 20 Will 18

Alfarael shakes his head to rid himself of the ringing sound the dragon's roar left in his ears, and then moves forward and slides his bastard sword into a guard position.

"Get behind me! But not too close--we don't want this thing to be able to kill all of us in a single breath."

Move: Move to E-13
Standard: Total defense, as included above.
Minor: Looking badass in the face of an oncoming dragon

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-31, 02:53 AM
The dragon takes flight, effortlessly clearing the ice wall and skimming over the lake with shocking speed. It lands on the island Immeola and Alfarael are on--and as it sinks its wicked fangs into the rogue, they realize that it will take far more time than that to prepare for a black dragon.

Immeola Meluria takes 13 damage and 5 ongoing acid (save ends). The pain keeps the dragon's Frightful Presence from affecting Immeola, but Alfarael is stunned.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g280/Inyssius/r2.png
Topher?

OneFamiliarFace
2009-02-01, 09:19 PM
Topher Snowglobe, didn't prepare for this!
HP 35; AC 20, Fort 15, Ref 19, Will 19; Surges 7/7

Topher musters all the courage he can. His mind races through all the incantations he knows, discarding them as fast as his mind touches upon them. But first, a little teamwork is in order.

"Devis, you seem the tricksy kind. If you can lure the beast away from that wall to give Immeola a shot at getting around it, then I think I can keep it in our web! Stand back when you are done, lest the beast come after us!"

Topher waits until after Devis takes his actions, and then he springs to. He holds out his hand with the globe, and snow swirls around it as a Ray of Frost shoots from within the tiny maelstrom. Then, taking decisive action, Topher invokes arcane words which immediately freeze the air outside of his mouth, and the dragon is battered by even stronger cold magic.

Well guys, at least he's one AP down for that Frightful Presence, and we don't have to worry about it anymore. There is a brightside to everything.

Devis: I think that since the Frightful Presence missed Immeola, you can slide an ally 1? Or is that only for melee attacks that miss or something?

Delay until Devis is done.

Free Action: Nature check to determine information about the dragon.

Move Action: Move to A20.

Standard Action: Ray of Frost
Attack: [roll1] vs Fort
Damage: [roll2] damage, and the target is slowed until the end of Topher's next turn.

Action Point: IF Devis has lured the dragon away from the wall (preferably 2 squares south, until it is occupying GH13 and GH14), then Topher will spend an action point to use Icy Rays on the Dragon. IF the dragon remains unmoved, then Topher will instead spend an action point to cast Icy Terrain on H10.

Attack: [roll3] vs Ref (+3 to hit from Action Surge included)
Damage: Icy Rays [roll4] damage, and the target is immobilized until the end of Topher's next turn.

OR Damage: Icy Terrain [roll]1d6+6 damage, and the target is knocked prone.
Effect: Icy Terrain one square burst from H10 is difficult terrain.

OneFamiliarFace
2009-02-01, 09:21 PM
Topher Snowglobe, Icy Terrain damage:

Damage: Icy Terrain [roll0] damage, and the target is knocked prone.

String
2009-02-01, 10:10 PM
Devis, Half-Elf Bard, Has just the thing

41/41HP AC20 Fort14 Ref16 Will17

Yeah, Immeola is just within my range (7 squares) and as such is able to shift 1 square.

Devis grinned and twirled his wand as he stepped onto the middle of the bridge, politely moving past Ambrosia.

"Pardon." he muttered to the cleric before raising the wand and giving it a subtle flick. His voice took on a brasher, louder quality to it and his eyes shone with a dark gleam as he began to goad the dragon.

"Oi! Scaly! You're pathetic! You want real harsh breath!? You should meet my sister!" he taunted, channeling a magical suggestion at the dragon. As the arcane power flew through the air, Devis drew his rapier quickly and held it at the ready. The dark gleam receded from his eyes, and his voice grew quiet

"Come, widowmaker, make legends of us."

Move Action to D14
Standard Action: [roll0] Vs. WILL [roll1] If it hits, I will slide the dragon two squares down, so that it occupies GH14 and GH15. As it blindly blunders my way (enraged at my witty insult, hopefully), Alfareal may make a basic melee attack, with a +3 bonus to Attack.
Minor Action Draw Rapier
Free action: Badass one-liner.

Crucival
2009-02-02, 12:32 AM
Alfarael
47/47 hp AC 25 Fort 20 Ref 20 Will 18

Alfarael is stunned, and can't do anything this round, except struggle against the dragon's frightful presence.

I know Frightful Presence usually has some aftereffects, so here's the saving throw to end those, whenever it applies.
Save vs Frightful Presence: [roll0]

Inyssius Tor
2009-02-02, 12:54 AM
The dragon contemptuously shrugs off Devis' and Topher's magic, and its claws easily find purchase in the icy terrain Topher created.

Topher knows many things about dragons, but it does not take an expert in lore to see that there is something very wrong about this beast. Something about the form of the dragon seems misshapen, faintly off. Its skin is plated with vicious razor-sharp scales, but it hangs in tatters from the monster, seeming somehow too large for the muscular dragon inside. Its eyes and claws are dark with the distinctive oily sheen of necrotic power.

Alfarael, you'll successfully save against the aftereffect at the end of the turn when you are no longer stunned; until then, you take a -2 to attack rolls.

Ambrosia, you were also missed by the dragon's Frightful Presence. If you think you need to shift more than Immeola does, you can take advantage of Devis's Virtue of Cunning instead.

Topher, you can recall the whole stat-block of a normal young black dragon; it's surprising how detailed some epic tales and rare bestiaries can be. Again, however, this dragon is not quite normal; among other things, it seems stronger, faster, and more resilient than the legends would lead you to believe.

Next up: Immeola, Ambrosia, Alfarael, and the dragon.

Merlin the Tuna
2009-02-02, 02:13 AM
Immeola
23/41 HP; 8/8 Surges | AC: 21 | Fort: 15 | Ref: 19 | Will: 15

"Tch. Not our best work, team," the elf grunts. Immeola skips backwards after the dragon's first lunge, sliding comfortably along the ice as he hurls a dagger at the beast.

Ambrosia is welcome to have the free shift.

Move Action: Shift to D-12
Standard Action: Deft Strike. Move to B-11 plus throw a dagger for...
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Saving Throw vs. Acid Damage: [roll2]

Boddan
2009-02-02, 02:30 AM
Ambrosia: is happy to meet the million-dollar-dragon

Ambrosia notices her allies and herself bunching up into a neat dragon breath target and scampers quickly up to cover behind the pillar to the north.

While passing the dragon, the elf notices an unholy gleam to its eyes.

"Is this an undead dragon!? Pelor won't stand for that and neither will I." She cries out and focuses on the beast with holy flame.

Move to C-9 (with the shift, gratze) in a position of cover from the dragon

Standard: Sacred Flame the dragon
Wis [roll0] vs Ref
for [roll1] Radiant dmg
& Immeola can choose 5 temp HP or another save for the Acid dmg if I hit or not

Also, a reminder to everyone that they get +2 AC for the duration of the encounter from my shield of faith.
And... is this an undead dragon? If so I can use ye 'ole turn undead and push him 6 squares if we need.

Inyssius Tor
2009-02-02, 03:11 AM
The dragon is technically alive at the moment. Also, you both missed. :smalltongue:

Crucival
2009-02-04, 01:55 AM
OOC:

I'm a little confused: is Alfarael stunned this round, or does he take his -2 attack penalty this round? If he's stunned, consider this my "still here but can't do anything" post.

Boddan
2009-02-04, 06:54 PM
If it's a standard fear effect for black dragons, you're stunned until the end of the dragon's next turn (the one after it stunned you)

Inyssius Tor
2009-02-11, 10:34 AM
Ambrosia's radiant fire splashes harmlessly against the dragon's thick scales. The creature leaps into the air, curving around the combatants to land behind Devis, foreclaws digging into the wood of the bridge, wings outstretched, and--mouth open almost unnaturally wide--sprays the three nearest adventurers with a black tar-like substance which burns their flesh as if it were fire.

Immeola and Alfarael are hit, taking 9 poison damage, 5 ongoing acid damage, and a -4 penalty to AC (save ends both). Everyone, you're up.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g280/Inyssius/round2.png
Oh, and Boddan has the right of it. You're now no longer stunned, but you'll take that -2 to attacks until your turn comes around and you successfully save (which you did).

OneFamiliarFace
2009-02-11, 09:29 PM
Topher Snowglobe, hopes someone hits with something.

Topher feels his heart begin to race as the dragon seems impervious to everything the party has to offer. He was so confident of his plan, which he will have to remember not to do in the future, if he has a future.

"Argh! We need to get this thing surrounded!"

Topher waits for just the right moment to act, delaying until more of his comrades have gone.

Inyssius, not to make your job harder, but I think people are a little confused about the spaces the dragon occupies, as they were taking pains not to be OA'd last round, when I thought he had been attacking them with reach (meaning they weren't adjacent), as he was able to get away with no OAs on him.

Delay Action until dragon is surrounded by Immeola and at least one other teammate, or until after everyone goes but before the dragon.

Move Action: Move to G19.

Standard Action:

If Immeola and one other teammate are surrounding him, then Icy Rays. I'm going target him with one and the water below him with one if that's possible, trying to freeze it over and trap the creature.
Attack on Dragon: [roll0] vs Ref
Attack on Water: [roll1] vs Ref
Hit: [roll2] cold damage, and the target is immobilized until the end of Topher's next turn.

If, after my friend's turns, the dragon is not yet surrounded, then I will use Ray of Frost.
Attack: [roll3] vs Fort
Hit: [roll4] cold damage, and the target is slowed until the end of Topher's next turn.
End of Turn: Difficult terrain caused by Icy Terrain melts away.

Boddan
2009-02-11, 10:00 PM
Ambrosia: thinks we can do this!
Resist Poison 5

Ambrosia turns a concerned eye upon Immeola and casts a portion of divine energy into his wounds. Followed quickly by a ray blinding, golden light shot at the dragons face which also bolsters Alfarael's confidence.

First off, Immeola don't forget the extra save you have from me. It may keep you from another 5 dmg come the start of your turn.

Minor: Symbol of Life (Daily/Item) adds D6 to the next heal I use this turn.

Minor: Healing Word on Immeola
Helaing Surge value + [roll0]

Standard: Daunting Light on zee dragon
[roll1] vs Ref
for (EDIT:Boddan dumb, dumb as hell.. see next post) radiant dmg
& Alfarael gets combat advantage on the dragon until the end of my next turn (in hopes a marking attack strikes true!)

Boddan
2009-02-11, 10:04 PM
[roll0] radiant dmg

Sorry!

Crucival
2009-02-11, 11:28 PM
Alfarael
33/47 HP 19 AC 18 Fort 18 Ref 16 Will
"Damn. I owe you a debt of pain, beast." Alfarael grunts in pain as the acid burns, and stretches out his hand, spreading his Aegis of Assault over the dragon. He then draws back his blade and brings it down on the creature's hide with a crash of thunder.

Move Action: Move to C14 to get adjacent.
Minor Action: Aegis of Assault on the dragon. Dragon is marked, and if it attacks someone other than Alfarael, he gets to teleport next to it and attack.

Standard Action: Booming Blade At-will Power (-2 from fear and +2 from combat advantage should cancel)
Int vs AC: [roll0] for [roll1] damage
On Hit: If the dragon moves away from being adjacent to him, it takes [roll2] thunder damage

Save vs Acid effects: [roll3] Already saved vs fear for the attack penalty.

Finally, if the Dragon attacks him and hits this turn, he'll activate the Frost Backlash Daily as an immediate interrupt.
Int vs Reflex [roll4] for [roll5] damage. Half damage if it misses.

Edit: Wow, terribly unlucky. At least the dragon's marked and the backlash will do half damage....

String
2009-02-11, 11:48 PM
Caught in the confusion, Devis can do little more than flail at the dragon with his rapier

Move action: Shift to C14. Standard: Melee Basic Attack with my Rapier. [roll0][roll1]

I am confused as to the Initiative order. Was I skipped?

Inyssius Tor
2009-02-12, 06:40 PM
OOC:
The initiative is thus:
26 Immeola (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=21163)
22 Ambrosia (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=104027)
20 Alfarael (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=101937)
18 Black Dragon
10 Topher (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=101252) (delaying until 19 or 21, depending on Immeola’s action)
09 Devis (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=103833)

Ambrosia and Alfarael have posted ahead of their initiative; this is generally considered acceptable in Play By Post games (as long as you don’t post ahead of the DM), since it would take even longer to resolve each round otherwise. Speaking of which, you and Alfarael have both stated your intentions to move to C15. Will you squeeze, or is one of you going to try coming at it from the other side? The dragon doesn't have threatening reach, so either of you could do it.

If it helps you strategize, Ambrosia was the only one to score a substantial blow so far. Man, dice.

One Familiar Face: According to the Draconomicon, dragons do strain the very limits of Large (how does a thirty-foot-long dragon fit in a ten-foot space?), but… yeah, I can see how it could be a little confusing. Is this better?

String
2009-02-12, 08:26 PM
I'll move to C14!

Inyssius Tor
2009-02-12, 09:20 PM
Er... you're both moving to C14. Whoops.

Crucival
2009-02-12, 09:24 PM
OOC:
I'm happy to move to any spot as long as I'm adjacent to the dragon, so shuffle me around as needed.

Merlin the Tuna
2009-02-14, 06:40 PM
Immeola should be in B-11 as per my last post on 2/2/09. Should I have been hit by that spray, and should I have gotten an OA on his move?

Sorry about the holdup -- I figured this was dead after a week of not seeing an update.

Inyssius Tor
2009-02-14, 06:57 PM
Augh, I totally missed that. Kind of screwed up the dragon's last turn, then.

Sorry for the hiatus.

EDIT: Actually, wait, not really. It'd have just hit you with the breath weapon before taking flight. And flown to the same place, since you've all gone based on that and the dragon is arrogant enough to think it won't matter.

Merlin the Tuna
2009-02-14, 11:10 PM
Nah, I moved before he breathed. I went to E-12, he bit my face off, then I backed off to B-11. No worries though; he nuked me, I'm in B-11, whooptydoo, on we go.Save vs Ongoing Acid Damage: [roll0] (Courtesy of Ambrosia's Sacred Flame)

Merlin the Tuna
2009-02-14, 11:38 PM
Immeola
32/41 HP; 7/8 Surges | AC: 17 | Fort: 15 | Ref: 19 | Will: 15

Immeola continues to sizzle as he flaps his cloak to shake off what acid he can. But though his clothes are flappable, his spirit is anything but. With Ambrosia's works keeping him standing, the elf again raises his rapier and meets the dragon's eyes. "Hey now, away from the audience! Some of my biggest fans are in there!" he yells, winking into the stands at no one in particular.

He draws his attention back to his lumbering opponent who thus far has been nothing short of unstoppable. With steel in his heart and not much beyond hope in his head, he leaps at the beast, looking to force it into the middle of his team.

Standard action: Trick Strike.
Attack: [roll0] vs. AC. Going to Elven Accuracy this if the roll bites.
Hit: [roll1] damage and slide the dragon 1 square east.
Effect: Any time I hit the dragon from now on, I can slide him one square.

Save vs ongoing 5 Acid & -4 AC: [roll2]

Inyssius Tor
2009-02-16, 02:53 PM
The dragon dodges most of the gladiators' attacks, batting swords and icy blasts aside with a sweep of its wings--but Ambrosia's holy flame strikes home, catching the dragon in a tattered spot on its side. Inspired by the sight, Immeola leaps into action. His sudden attack throws the dragon off balance; the audience cheers even louder as he stabs his blade into the dragon's left forearm, and it scrabbles for a grip on the wood of the bridge.

The beast swings from side to side, glaring at the combatants now flanking it. Its eyes burn with necrotic power, and it hisses out a string of twisted syllables in some ancient tongue. Oily black smoke begins to steam from the dragon's skin, enveloping the nearest adventurers and thickening into an impenetrable cloud. The necrotic energy clings unpleasantly to their skin, choking them and burning their eyes and throats. Through the haze, you faintly hear a rasping chuckle and the beating of powerful wings.

You three take 4 necrotic damage, and are blinded while within the black cloud. Next up: everyone.

EDIT: Oh, and I rolled your missed OA for you... but you missed. So yeah.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g280/Inyssius/T-5R-22.png

Boddan
2009-02-16, 08:01 PM
(waiting on others to post so I can see hp's and ongoing effects on em before I decide whom to assist)

OneFamiliarFace
2009-02-17, 10:28 AM
Topher Snowglobe

Starting to panic, Topher yells to his teammates, "Can anyone tell me where the thing is?"

His mind races through the tomes he has read on these progenitors of magic, and latches onto something. It is something small, but it is something. "The creature can see inside of the cloud! It should disperse in a moment."

Topher brings the arcane words to his lips, but holds them in reserve.

Readying Action to use Ray of Frost on the dragon as soon as Topher can see him.

Standard Action: Cast Ray of Frost at B14.
Attack: [roll0] vs Fort
Hit: [roll1] cold damage, and the target is slowed until the end of Topher's next turn.

Inyssius Tor
2009-02-19, 12:58 AM
In case anyone has forgotten:
Topher (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=101252) just went; Devis (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=103833), Immeola (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=21163), Ambrosia (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=104027), and Alfarael (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=101937) are up.

If you all tell me to do so, I'd be willing to move this thread offsite (to Myth Weavers?) until the forum's troubles die down. I'll be here, on the main thread, or (if the site is down) at [email protected].

String
2009-02-19, 01:29 AM
Devis hisses angrily at the pain the acidic darkness inflicts on his bare skin, and backs up until he can see. Then, with a quick one-two swish of his wand, searing flames rush into the darkness, seeking out the beast within.

MOVE: Backing up to C16. STANDARD: using my wand of flaming hands on the blast 5 that the darkness inhabits. (AE10-AE15) [roll0] [roll1]

Crucival
2009-02-19, 02:03 AM
Alfarael takes 5 ongoing damage
28/47 hp AC 19 Fort 18 Ref 18 Will 16, Blinded

Alfarael backs out of the darkness, knowing that the creature is marked, and thus that he can always teleport in for an attack if it goes after any of his teammates. Then he concentrates on encouraging his own natural healing abilities.

Back away to B9, Second wind. Did my Frost Backlash daily power get used when the dragon attacked last round? Basically, the first time the dragon is adjacent, and hits me, it'll trigger. It is technically a melee power, though...

Saving throw against acid effects: [roll0]

Assuming the acid effects are gone, he's at 39/47 hp, 25 AC, 20 Fort, 20 Ref, and 18 Will until his next turn, when the +2 to defenses wears off.

Merlin the Tuna
2009-02-19, 08:54 PM
Immeola
37/41 HP; 6/8 Surges | AC: 23 | Fort: 17 | Ref: 21 | Will: 17

Immeola hacks and coughs as he skitters out of the fog. He finds fresh footing after brushing past Ambrosia and readies himself for another leap into the fray.

Move action: Move to B8
Standard Action: Second Wind. +10 HP and +2 defenses already factored in.

Saving throw vs ongoing 5 acid & -4 AC: [roll0]

Boddan
2009-02-19, 10:31 PM
Ambrosia
39/39 AC22 Fort14 Ref15 Will20 8/8 Surges
Resist Poison 5

The elf winces in anticipation of the havoc to come following the dragon and her allies disappearing from view, but settles when her allies step out of the black and obtain a needed break. Albeit a quick one.

Ambrosia smiles at Alfarael warmly as he exits the darkness and waits for the dragon to show itself once again.

Move: Move to G-10 by way of wading through some shallow water. I'll try and get into flanking position for Immeola when able next turn.

Standard: I'll ready a Sacred Flame for when ugly shows himself.
[roll0] vs Ref
for [roll1] Radiant dmg
& Alfarael gains 5 temp HP

Inyssius Tor
2009-02-23, 01:31 PM
Devis's tendrils of fire disappear soundlessly into the cloud, and another acidic blast comes back out. The other combatants shift position, waiting for the dragon to emerge.

The dragon's breath weapon recharged, and hit both Alfarael and Immeola for 10 acid damage and 5 ongoing acid (save ends).
I was worried about opportunity attacks... but, thanks to Alfarael's mark, they all missed anyway. As an immediate reaction, Alfarael can teleport about to hack at the dragon after it misses Devis or Immeola (since they went before he did, he can still move away without difficulty). At that time, the dragon was in the same space it had previously been in.

(I'll rule that his Frost Backlash wasn't triggered, by the way. It isn't the monster that was damaging you, it's the zone that the monster created.)

Next up: everyone. Those of you with readied actions can fire them now at their preferred location, or just lose those actions.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g280/Inyssius/T-4R-22.png

OneFamiliarFace
2009-02-23, 01:56 PM
Topher Snowglobe

Well, gross, my knowledge check actually screwed me. Can I make another knowledge check or something to know what I knew about the standard block is wrong?

I guess I will just have to fire at whatever. So I pick D13.

As per my post above, my Ray of Frost is a roll of 24 vs Fort, and it deals 11 damage and slows the target until the end of my next turn.

Crucival
2009-02-23, 02:21 PM
Alfarael

One retroactive teleport-hack, coming up...

[roll0] for [roll1] damage.
Though since it's dark in there, you may want to subtract from the to-hit roll accordingly.

Boddan
2009-02-23, 02:23 PM
I'll take C-12 for my attack.

Also, Alfarael can choose to make a saving throw for that acid rather than the 5 temp HP if he chooses.

Inyssius Tor
2009-02-23, 02:25 PM
Dragons have always been able to sustain their Cloud of Darkness indefinitely using only a minor action. A minor action which, in fact, they have no other way to spend.

Also: you miss, though you can't tell if the dragon wasn't there or if the shot just glanced off its scales.

Crucival
2009-02-23, 02:25 PM
OOC:
Yes, I'll take that free saving throw plzkthx. :smallbiggrin:

Merlin the Tuna
2009-02-24, 12:04 AM
Immeola
22/41 HP; 6/8 Surges | AC: 23 | Fort: 17 | Ref: 21 | Will: 17

Immeola holds at the ready until the instant the dragon's searing bile bursts from the darkness. As the spray emerges, the whips his left hand forward, hurling a dagger into the blackness at about where he figures his opponent's neck should be, hoping to make the beast reel back. His eyes -- and everything else -- again burning from the acid, he leaps for safer ground, noting to himself that a dunk in the water actually wouldn't be so bad at this point.

Yeesh. Whatever happened to the high-dex rogues being impervious to dragon breath? Jerk's hit me with it while I was defending and while I was Second Wind-ing, no less. But I digress.

Standard Action: Deft Strike via thrown dagger
Attack: [roll0] vs AC. (-5 for no line-of-sight already factored in)
Hit: [roll1] and move the dragon 1 square South thanks to Trick Strike.
Move: Move to C-9 courtesy of Deft Strike, continue East and make a leap for H-9 with regular old move.

Saving throw vs ongoing 5 acid: [roll2]

Merlin the Tuna
2009-02-24, 12:05 AM
Trying this again...

Athletics:[roll0]

Edit: Well then. Stick the jump and continue moving to I-10 then.

Inyssius Tor
2009-02-24, 11:13 PM
[All right, then. And your actual turns...? Would you like to reposition, delay until the dragon comes out, keep attacking the cloud in the hope that the dragon is still in the cloud? Don't worry too much about initiative order, since you'll all go before the dragon does.]

[Yes, I know readied actions do weird stuff to the initiative order now. I don't think we'll follow that particular rule. It seems rather unnecessary.]

Boddan
2009-02-24, 11:44 PM
If the darkness is static and not moving with him, I vote we withdraw to a dif isle, pelt the darkness with at-wills until he tires of the occasional hits and is forced to come to us.

String
2009-02-25, 12:33 PM
I think I agree. Although..my At-Will's aren't great for this sort of thing. Meh. Can we get an updated map? I think we should pick an island where we can't all get caught in his breath when it recharges.

Inyssius Tor
2009-02-25, 12:45 PM
Bam!
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g280/Inyssius/T-4R-23.png

Crucival
2009-02-25, 01:03 PM
OOC:
I'm all for waiting it out, but Alfarael has to walk across some shallow water to get to the rest of you, and Devis looks a little stranded, too. Maybe we should just surround it? It would, at least, decrease the chances of a breath attack splashing us all.

OneFamiliarFace
2009-02-25, 01:36 PM
Topher Snowglobe

"As we do not know when this cloud will be gone, I recommend we retreat from it for now, so it cannot breathe on us with impunity. Still, stand ready to surround it, as that is the only way to be sure we can stop it!"

Disappointed in his memory's failure, Topher tries to get a better read on the cloud.

Inyssius, you never mentioned if my Ray of Frost hit or missed. Also, would it be possible to get a bolded title "map" above the spoilers for maps, so it is easier to find on scrolling back?

Anyway, knowledge checks to try to find out when this cloud will dissapate:
Arcana [roll0]
Nature [roll1]

Delaying action until I know what is going on.

Inyssius Tor
2009-02-25, 01:38 PM
It will dissipate when the dragon stops investing energy into it.

[You already know this from your previous Arcana checks. That's what "sustain minor" means. From your latest check, you can tell that--aside from the minor damage effect--the dragon's Cloud of Darkness power is as it has always been. Also: sorry I forgot to mention it, but you missed--though, again, you're not sure if you actually missed or if the dragon wasn't in that space anyway.]

Merlin the Tuna
2009-02-25, 08:35 PM
Alfarael is trained in Athletics -- you can leap a far chunk of that water and trudge through the rest to get on dry land. I've got little doubt that there's a catch to being in the water, but it's better than being stuck next to a dragon.

Devis isn't all alone at the bottom, either -- Topher is a few squares away, though it's kind of tricky to see him on the map. Those two can route around the south end of the map and try to swing north via jumping from P-16. If Topher can catch him with a Ray of Frost as the dragon pops out, that'll buy us all some extra time as well.

Ultimately I think we'd be best off clearing out that ice wall in the NE corner and engaging from there. We don't appear to have any good way of applying that much fire though, unless Sacred Flame counts. Alternatively maybe we can goad the dragon into melting it for us with another breath attack?

Incidentally, I'm going to throw out that a Sacred Flame would do me a world of good given that I keep getting barfed on by this thing.

Boddan
2009-02-25, 10:22 PM
Ambrosia
Resist Poison 5

When viable...

Standard:
Sacred Flame at C-12
[roll0] vs Ref
[roll1] Radiant dmg
& Imm gets a free saving throw

Move: Withdraw to L-11

OneFamiliarFace
2009-02-26, 01:41 AM
Topher Snowglobe

"I've made a mistake! That cloud will remain as long as the creature wants it to! Get out of the way of its breath.

Wow, terribly sorry. I read that entry a lot and never saw the 'sustain minor' part of it.

Readied Action: Topher will Ready an action to hit the dragon with a Ray of Frost when he is visible.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] cold damage, and the target is slowed until the end of Topher's next turn.

String
2009-02-26, 01:02 PM
Devis backed away from the cloud and wracked his mind for the perfect distraction, the perfect words to distract the dragon. As we waited, he called out into the darkness in the language of dragons, low, rumbling and majestic, somehow just as impressive coming from his half-elf throat.

-Beast! Do you still have sense about you enough to talk?-

Move action: Move to C18
Standard: Ready an action to use Vicious Mockery as soon as I see the dragon attempt to attack someone.
[roll0] [roll1]
Free: Speak. I understand and can speak Draconic.

Crucival
2009-02-26, 01:51 PM
Alfarael
29/47 hp Ac 23 Fort 18 Ref 18 Will 16

Alfarael circles around the darkness, doing his best to leap over the shallow water and join the others.

Move: Moving to H10, or as far as I can get in that direction given [roll0] for athletics and the resulting leap.

Standard: Gonna use Total Defense again, so AC 25, Fort 20, Ref 20, Will 18.

Two options, assuming the dragon comes out (it is still marked):
It attacks Alfarael and hits, so Frost Backlash hits it:

[roll1] vs Reflex for [roll2] cold damage, half if it misses.

It attacks someone other than Alfarael, so he gets to use the Aegis for a teleport-hack, in which case he uses the Blastback Swipe encounter power:
[roll3] vs Fort for [roll4] thunder damage, and push the target 2 squares.

Inyssius Tor
2009-03-05, 11:35 PM
The arena is briefly silent.

Then the dragon bursts from the lake, soaring high above the arena. Batting another bolt of holy fire away with its wings, it exhales yet another cloud of acid down on the startled Topher--who fires at the dragon with the spell he'd been holding at almost the same time. A ray of icy frost sears through the air, catching the dragon dead center in the creature's wide-open maw. It screams in pain, muscles contracting involuntarily...

Battle Report:
Ambrosia missed; Topher scored a critical hit, dealing [roll0] cold damage and slowing the creature until the end of his next turn.

The dragon recharged its breath weapon yet again, missed Devis (who was also within the blast zone), and hit Topher for 21 acid damage; he also takes ongoing 5 acid damage and a -4 penalty to AC (save ends both).

Alfarael, your Aegis of Assault is triggered. You can teleport to any adjacent square, but the dragon happens to be 30 feet above the lake at this moment. Your attack will hit, but you will plummet into the lake below and take 3d4 damage (because the water will break your fall) or 3d10 damage (if you fall to the ground).

Alternatively, you could teleport to a square on top of the dragon. If you switch to a one-handed grip, you could grab hold; the dragon would be able to move at full speed (albeit slowed), dragging you along with it, you'd have to maintain the grab, and if the dragon breaks free you'll still fall. On the other hand, if the dragon crashes or lands while you're still grabbing it, you can dismount with no problems.

Next up: everyone!
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g280/Inyssius/T-4R-24.png

Merlin the Tuna
2009-03-07, 01:38 AM
Immeola
17/41 HP; 6/8 Surges | AC: 21 | Fort: 15 | Ref: 19 | Will: 15

Immeola deftly slides his rapier into its scabbard and rips his longbow from his back. "You know, you two are probably going to want to get out of there," he calls to Devis and Topher and he nocks an arrow. He takes aim, commenting, "And you? You should head right... over....... there."

Saving throw vs ongoing 5 acid: [roll0] (Before my turn, thanks to Sacred Flame)

Maybe if we're lucky I'll actually get to Sneak Attack this guy once. Yeesh.

Minor Action: Sheath rapier
Standard Action: Draw bow (free thanks to Quick Draw) and Deft Strike.
Attack: [roll1] vs AC
Damage: [roll2] and move the dragon 1 cube NW
Also: 2 squares of movement to K-11.
Move Action: Continue to O-9.

Merlin the Tuna
2009-03-07, 01:39 AM
Saving throw vs ongoing 5 acid... again: [roll0]

OneFamiliarFace
2009-03-07, 04:58 AM
Topher Snowglobe, out of options.
(9 or 25)/35; AC (20 or 24), Fort 15, Ref 23, Will 19

As the acid breath races towards him, Topher throws up his staff and speaks a single arcane word. An icy Shield appears in front of him.

Immediate Interrupt: Cast Shield as the Acid Breath hits him. +4 AC and +4 Ref

Sorry, my turn kind of depends on whether or not the breath still hit. Sorry it has been a while. My next post will be faster after I. tells me if my shield is enough to deflect the breath. It would make my AC 24 and my Ref 23.

If it becomes necessary to keep the game going, then just assume I run away and shoot another Icy Bolt to try to keep him up there, but if I can post in time, then I'll go ahead and take my turn.

Also, isn't the Dragon only 25 feet up? Occupying the 25-30 ft square? I know it doesn't matter that much, but otherwise, he'd miss with his breath :-p.

Inyssius Tor
2009-03-07, 05:13 AM
Nice one! But the dragon still just hits, so... yeah. Also: yes, you're right about the dragon height--for speed reasons, though, since you can fire bursts at a diagonally adjacent angle. On the ground, I'd be tempted to say that the dragon is only one square tall, since the black dragon is uncharacteristically low-slung--but that doesn't make much sense in flight, so... yeah.

String
2009-03-07, 02:02 PM
I would say that the dragon would be able to orient himself any way he pleases whilst in flight, if he has hover, wouldn't you? I don't know if that effects it. Also, since the dragon missed me, I believe one of my allies may shift 1 square. I'm waiting on Topher's turn to make mine.

OneFamiliarFace
2009-03-08, 01:55 AM
Topher Snowglobe, is a hurtin'
9/35; AC 20, Fort 15, Ref 23, Will 19; Surges 7/7
Condition: Acidified.

Knowing the dragon can follow him anywhere he goes if he doesn't keep it pinned down, Topher lets fly another Ray of Frost, hoping to give his team time to do some damage while the dragon can't reach them. Then he runs away, hoping that the creature has to choose between him and Devis if it regains its breath.

Standard Action: Ray of Frost.
Attack: [roll0] vs Fort
Hit: [roll1] and the target is slowed until the end of Topher's next turn.

Move Action: Move to M19.

Save vs Acid: [roll2]

Orb of Imposition: Since I missed with that Ray of Frost, I will use my class feature to make the Slowed condition last until the end of my next turn instead, so the dragon is still slowed.

Edit: Save means I have 24 AC and no Acid condition.

String
2009-03-08, 02:42 AM
Devis grinned and began to circle around the hovering dragon, ticking his wand in time with his words as he let arcane strength flow from his voice into Topher.

"And Lo! Did the Dragon now grow sluggish
Fairly pierced by an errant ice arrow.
And the looser of this bolt so deadly?
Topher Snowglobe, the Dragonslayer Mage!"

The words flowed with a magic of their own, and Topher felt his acid burns healing under their bracing hold. Devis kept the dragon in his sights, and then repeated his poem in Draconic, mocking the dragon and once again supporting his words with magic, this time malignant.

Ok. Move to H19.
Minor Action- Majestic Word. Topher may spend a healing surge, gain an extra 4HP, and shift one square.
Standard- Vicious Mockery. [roll0] [roll1] If it hits (against WILL) then the dragon takes -2 to attack rolls until the end of my next turn.

String
2009-03-08, 02:44 AM
I'm on a roll! critical! [roll0]

Boddan
2009-03-08, 11:20 AM
Waiting to see what Alf does before I post =)

OneFamiliarFace
2009-03-08, 12:17 PM
Topher Snowglobe
21/35; AC 24, Fort 15, Ref 23, Will 19; Surges 6/7

Despite having only landed a single hit on the dragon, Topher's spirits are raised by Devis' song. He steps, almost dancing, away from the dragon and prepares his next attack.

"Let's turn this thing around!"

Shift: Shift to N20.

Remember the dragon is still Slowed due to my Orb of Imposition class power until the end of my next turn.

Crucival
2009-03-08, 12:30 PM
Alfarael

With a muffled *bamf*, Alfarael vanishes...and appears above the dragon. Since he uses his bastard sword one-handed at all times, he has a hand free to attempt to grab it.

Alright, let's see... Grab attack is str vs ref
[roll0]

Boddan
2009-03-08, 01:09 PM
Ambrosia
Resist Poison 5

Ambrosia rushes forward and cast yet another bolt of holy flame at the dragon. The righteous fire washes over Alfarael leaving a thin, white shield of radiance.

Move: H-13

Standard: Sacred Flame once more
to-hit [roll0] vs Ref
for [roll1] Radiant dmg
& Alfarael gets 5 temp hp or a free saving throw

Inyssius Tor
2009-03-24, 12:16 AM
It screams in pain, muscles contracting involuntarily...

...and Alfarael Tempus appears above the beast in a blast of thunder, smashing it a full ten feet downward before landing perfectly on its back. It gyrates madly in an attempt to throw him off, wings thrashing frantically. It screams, but only hacking whispers can be heard; and when Devis begins reciting verses in booming Draconic--worded painfully well, in the tongue of their target--the perfectly recited words slice through the quiet air like physical blades.

High above the arena, the dragon lashes about in a frenzy, clawing repeatedly at the only combatant within reach, but Tempus dodges its blows with ease. Finding a vulnerable spot at the base of the dragon's wings, he grabs tight hold of the wing and twists. Badly disconcerted by Devis's cutting rhyme, still shuddering from Topher's well-aimed ice bolt, and blasted off course by Alfarael's thunderous swing, this is the final straw. The dragon folds under the pressure, falling like a stone into the lake below.

And the swordmage comes down atop him, using the forty-five foot drop as a lethal weapon in itself, hacking at the drake with renewed strength. A cloud of ichor begins to spread around the bloodied dragon--but even the blood of a great dragon can be deadly! Devis is caught by surprise with a great splash of the burning spray, scalding his eyes and skin--although Alfarael fights on undeterred just at the surface of the roiling water, clinging to the drake even as he stabs at it with his blade.

Battle Report:
The dragon is very much bloodied. Immobilized by Alfarael's grab, it fell to the lake below; Alfarael used the dragon to cushion his own fall (and rolled a natural 18 on the Acrobatics check), taking only 5 damage; the dragon, on the other hand, took another 14 from the fall (it would have been much more, but they fell in the lake). The dragon's Bloodied Breath missed Alfarael; but got a natural 20 on Devis, who takes 15 acid damage, 5 ongoing acid damage, and a -4 to AC (save ends both).

Devis and Alfarael both hit with their attacks, though Alfarael's grab did no direct damage. The dragon is still grabbed. Next up: everyone.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g280/Inyssius/T-4R-25.png

String
2009-03-24, 01:12 AM
Ok. Wowza.
Devis, IT BURNS...
17/41HP AC16 Fort14 Ref16 Will17
Ongoing 5 Acid

Devis writhed in pain and fell to a knee, clawing at his burning skin. As his flesh bubbled in the acid, the half-elf's pupils grew wide again until his eyes were entirely black. His skin shook with eldritch healing as the worst of his wounds began to heal. His voice resonated with magic as his wand tapped out a rhythm on the ground.
-
"I have lived through worse than this, beast! I will have your horns for goblets!"- he shouted in Draconic, before switching back to Common, "Your horns for goblets!" A magical pulse flew towards the beasts mind again, seeking to distract it further from the swordmages machinations. Devis stood again and stepped to the water's edge, glaring at the thrashing beast.

[spoiler] Minor Action- Majestic Word. I heal 14 HP. I slide to H18.
Standard -Vicious Mockery [roll0] [roll1]
Saving throws [roll2]

String
2009-03-24, 01:13 AM
Devis, would like to reiterate that Vicious Mockery attacks will.
31/41HP AC20 Fort14 Ref16 Will17

OneFamiliarFace
2009-03-24, 03:15 AM
Topher Snowglobe
HP 21 (or 30?)/35; AC 20, Fort 15, Ref 19, Will 19; Surges 6/7

At Tempus' amazing display, Topher's eyes widen in admiration, then they become hard with determination.

With the dragon momentarily dispatched, the frost wizard goes on the offense. Putting away his orb, he curls his fingers into a claw and twists them, causing cutting blades of force to leave freezing trails in the water around the dragon. A cloud of invisible daggers erupts amid the water surrounding the vile creature.

Then he takes a step back, lest the dragon erupt upon him again.

Inyssius: I think the dragon did more damage to me with his breath weapon than he did to Devis with a crit. I looked up the Adult Dragon's breath weapon, and he dealt 6 more damage to me with it than his his maximum. Did he have some kind of buff? Or should I have more hps (at least 6 more, and that's if he rolled max on the 1d12)? I am imagining it was supposed to be "12," in which case, I'd have 9 more hps, putting me at 30/35.

Minor Action: Stow Orb of Imposition.

Standard Action: Use Cloud of Daggers on G16.
Attack: [roll0] vs. Reflex
Hit: [roll1] force damage, and the dragon takes 3 damage if he starts his turn there or moves through that square (which probably just means 3 extra damage)

Move Action: Shift to O-19.

Inyssius Tor
2009-03-24, 12:08 PM
OneFam: You're right--the dragon could not possibly have dealt 21 damage to you and 15 damage to Devis. My gut says that I said "21" and I meant what I said, but that makes no sense at all! So, yes, let's go with 12 damage instead.

Devis hits; Topher just misses. Immeola, Alfarael, and Ambrosia are up.

Boddan
2009-03-24, 03:17 PM
Ambrosia: numbers count for a lot.
Resist Poison 5

Ambrosia starts in surprise as Alfarael blinks out of existence and onto the beast's back! She watches in amazement as he proceeds punish the dragon, and lets out a cry of alarm as the beast and warrior plummet into the water.

When Alfarael and the dragon surface in a grappling, chaotic tumult, Ambrosia stands still amidst the splashing water and roaring protests of the dragon and whispers to no one.

A column of light erupts from the water. The holy light burns the dragon while Alfarael merely hears a faint whisper of a woman's voice, "Brave warrior, that act will be remembered. Strike true and finish the beast!"

First, Alfarael had 5 temp HP from my last attack. So he broke even on the damage from the fall.

Standard: Divine Glow - Close Blast 3 on the dragon and Alf.
to-hit: [roll0] vs Ref
for: [roll1] Radiant dmg
& Alfarael gets +2 to-hit until the end of my next turn
(Note: Alf doesn't take any dmg from my attack, only the buff)

May use Elven Accuracy...((Yep, next post))

Boddan
2009-03-24, 03:19 PM
Elven Accuracy

Reroll attack:
[roll0]

Crucival
2009-03-24, 10:06 PM
Alfarael who loves using temp hp as a cushion for falling.

Struggling to hold onto the dragon with one hand, Alfarael raises his bastard sword above his head. Lightning crackles up from his hand along the edge of the blade as his spiky hair stands on end, his entire body resonant with electricity.

And then he slams the blade down into the beast with the full fury of a thundering storm.

Okay, I've been waiting all battle for this. I will assume that Ambrosia's +2 power bonus to attacks applies (and I kinda want to delay until after it does, anyhow). I have no idea whether a one-handed grab on a dragon gives CA, though, so I didn't add it in.

First of all, Alfarael converts his Move action into a Minor Action.
Minor Action 1: Maintain the grab. The dragon, if I remember correctly, has to make an acrobatics check versus Alfarael's reflex, or an athletics check versus his fortitude in order to escape.

Minor Action 2: Use Alfarael's "Promise of Storm" ability. All lightning and thunder powers now do 1d8 extra damage until the end of his next turn.

Standard Action: Lightning Clash Encounter Power

Int vs AC: [roll0]
On hit, this happens:
[roll1] Lightning Damage with [roll2] Bonus damage.

Now, Alfarael has a lightning longsword. This means that on hit, he can use a daily power as a free action, to do an additional 1d6 lightning damage to the target. This is a lightning power, so Promise of Storm applies again.
[roll3] and [roll4] lightning damage.

Also, on hit, Lightning Clash allows him to make a secondary attack. There are no other enemies around. I doubt you'll let me arc the energy back into the dragon, so we'll leave that alone.

Alfarael also has an action point. He will spend it, for another standard action. He uses the At-will power Booming Blade. It's a thunder power, so Promise of Storm applies yet again.

Int vs AC again [roll5]
Damage [roll6] with [roll7] bonus thunder damage.

On hit: If the dragon moves away from Alfarael before his next turn (like, say, breaking the hold. :smallbiggrin:) it takes an additional [roll8] Thunder Damage. This, too, takes [roll9] bonus thunder damage from Promise of Storm.

Edit: CRIT!!!!! And...epic fail. In the same post. Nice.

For book-keeping purposes, assuming that the crit only maxes damage for the specific power, that's 15 damage plus 8 bonus damage. Then the item power kicks in for a bonus 5+3=8. All in all, Alfarael should do 31 Lightning Damage to the dragon this round.

Crucival
2009-03-24, 10:15 PM
Alfarael who forgot that he gets bonus damage die for a crit.

Critical hit with a +1 lightning longsword means +1d6 lightning damage. [roll0]

Edit: Alright, so, again, assuming that crits max out only the directly-related dice, we're talking 32 lightning damage this round.

Merlin the Tuna
2009-03-24, 11:03 PM
Immeola Meluria
17/41 HP; 6/8 Surges | AC: 21 | Fort: 15 | Ref: 19 | Will: 15

"Yes, yes, blah blah blah." Immeola rolls his eyes as he witnesses Alfarael cleverly using lightning power after lightning power while standing in a pool of water. He draws another arrow from his quiver and spends a second frowning at it. "My kingdom for a spoon," he mutters, as he nocks it and lets it fly.

Move: To O-13
Standard: Deft strike, I suppose?
Attack: [roll0] vs AC
Damage: [roll1]

Boddan
2009-03-24, 11:17 PM
=D I lol'ed

Crucival
2009-03-25, 09:18 AM
Alfarael

OOC:

Argh, the lightning-in-water argument. I assumed that Alfarael was still on the dragon's back, so the lightning would still hurt it directly. If the lightning attacks are going to electrocute my allies (not sure of the mechanics on this), then I'll change my actions. Thought it was a funny comment, though. :smallwink:

Inyssius Tor
2009-03-25, 11:56 PM
Scything daggers of force erupt around the tumultuous melee, drawing more blood from the creature even as a wash of radiant fire burns at its existing wounds. The area flickers with blinding arcs of lightning, as the stormsoul Tempus stabs the beast again and again with every fraction of strength he can muster.

Thrashing frantically below the waves with the mad strength of one at the very precipice of death, muscles coiling and sliding beneath disturbingly loose-hanging skin, the dragon claws and bites repeatedly at its armored assailant. Some of its strikes reach their mark, and Alfarael feels his arm throbbing with pain as acidic venom sears up his veins; the blood that tints this water is no longer the dragon's alone.

Devis, Immeola, and Alfarael all hit; Topher does not, but his attack damages the dragon anyway. The dying beast spends its last action point (and possibly its last two actions) to attack twice; one bite and one claw (of two) hit Alfarael, dealing a total of 9 damage and 5 ongoing acid (save ends).

All this lightning might possibly be a problem if there was anyone else actually touching the water, but right now there's only Alfarael--who is a stormsoul Genasi, and as such any residual shock he could receive at this point would basically feel like drinking a hot cup of coffee. (Don't worry, Merlin, you'll have plenty of flanking opportunities soon enough. :smallamused:)

Next up: everyone, again.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g280/Inyssius/T-4R-26.png

String
2009-03-26, 01:41 AM
A few notes and questionsfirst: 1) The map is slightly off. i should be at H18. I slide there using my Majestic Word. 2) I'm planning on switching out Misdirected mark for Guiding Strike after this fight. Would you be amenable to letting me rearrange by switching out my Wand of Burning Hands for a Harsh Songblade Rapier, and switching out my Flaming Rapier for a Ruby Scabbard. Also? if i were to use impelling force, which allows me to slide an opponent 5 squares to a space adjacent next to one of my allies, would I be able to convince you to let me slide him anywhere, since he's adjacent to Alf?

Merlin the Tuna
2009-03-26, 02:28 AM
Immeola Meluria

Immeola looks up at the stands and shrugs dramatically. "Should we end this now? I think we should end this now," the elf calls to the stadium. e twirls an arrow in his fingers as he sets it to his bowstring and eeeever-so-carefully lines up his shot, taking aim at the base of the dragon's skull. Taking an extra moment to

Standard Action: Woo, longbow.
Attack:[roll0] vs AC
Damage:[roll1]

Since I don't think a 17 is going to cut the mustard...
Free Action: Elven Accuracy. Roll will be in the next post.

Merlin the Tuna
2009-03-26, 02:51 AM
Grr. Argh. This forum is incredibly frustrating sometimes.

Elven Accuracy reroll: [roll0] vs AC

OneFamiliarFace
2009-03-26, 05:38 AM
Topher Snowglobe, thinks this was easy... a little too easy?

Topher hammers at the dragon with another attack of force, bringing his arm up and down as if he himself were wielding the daggers agains the creature.

Standard Action: More Cloud of Daggers!
Attack: [roll0] vs Ref
Hit: [roll1] force damage.
Effect: Continuing daggers for another 3 force damage.

Crucival
2009-03-26, 12:00 PM
Alfarael
20/47 hp Ac 21 (Since he's got one hand in use) Fort 18 Ref 18 Will 16

When the dragon's claw tears into him, Alfarael's eyes glow a brilliant, icy blue, and frost arcs out at the creature.

If I recall correctly, Alfarael's Frost Backlash was never triggered. Seeing as the dragon has now hit him with an attack, I will trigger it as an immediate interrupt.

Int vs Ref [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Half Damage on a miss

Inyssius Tor
2009-03-26, 12:26 PM
[I'm going to jump in right about now. See you back here in two hours' time, and I'll have an update for you.]

Boddan
2009-03-26, 02:19 PM
Spose I'll hold for the update. I wont be doing anything but tossin another sacred fire out and giving Alf a 5 hp buffer or save for that pesky acid.