PDA

View Full Version : Those Poor Half-Breeds[Race]

TheOOB
2006-10-05, 09:42 PM
As I'm sure all you know, the two "half" races in the PHB are quite terrible in comparison to the others.

Anyways, I think I've come up with a varient half-elf that gives the race a new unique ability while still keeping the overall feel of the race intact.

Half-Elves

These traits are in addition to the normal half-elf traits unless otherwise noted

-Versatile: Half-Elves only need to spend 1 skill point to buy a rank in a non class skill. They must still abide by the normal cross-class rank cap ((3+Character Level)/2)
-Jack of All Trades: Half-Elves can use any skill they have no ranks in as if they had .5 ranks, thus enabling them to make use of skills that normally can only be used trained(such as use magic device) without first investing skill points
-Varient Half-Elves do not gain the normal +2 racial bonus to Diplomacy and Gather Information checks.

I'm working on a Half-orc varient right now, I'll post it when I'm done.

TheOOB
2006-10-05, 09:53 PM
Half-Orcs
These traits are in addition to the normal half-orc traits unless otherwise noted.

- +2 racial bonus on intimidate checks
- +2 Strength for the purposes of determining carrying and capacity(this stacks with the normal +2 racial bonus half-orcs get to strength)
- Strong Frame: Half-orcs strong frame allows them greater ease of movement in armor that would otherwise inhibit other races. All armor they wear counts as one size lighter for the purposes of movement and other limitations (though light armor still counts as light). Spell failure chances for armor and shields worn by half-orcs are decreased by 10%, maximum dexterity bonus is increased by 2, and armor check penalties are lessened by 3 (to a minimum of 0). Half-Orcs treat armor and shields made of mithral like masterwork items made of steel(they gain no additional benefit from the mithral special material).

Fizban
2006-10-05, 10:25 PM
Did you know that both your Half-Elf abilities are already feats? Jack of all trades is in Complete Adventurer, exactly the same, and with the same name. Versatile is in Races of Destiny as Able Learner, for humans and human related only. I expect you did know this, but I felt like saying it anyway.

Now, you've given half elves too much, with effectively two feats. I'd just give them Able Learner as a bonus feat and call it good.

Your half orc stuff is good, but I don't personally like it. It baisically makes them into mules who get to wear non-shiny armor ;)

Fax Celestis
2006-10-05, 10:29 PM
The Half-Orc's stat adjustments are unbalanced.

TheOOB
2006-10-05, 11:52 PM
I hate giving a race a penalty to Int, as it hinders almost any class, but the Half-Orcs stats are a little unbalanced I'd agree. Is there a way to balance them without giving a penalty to Int?

As for Half-Elves, I knew Jack of All Trades was a feat, but since it's not Core I needed to spell it out. As for Able Learner I did not know it exists as I haven't read Races of Destiny. I still think it's fairly balanced, considering that the half-elves other traits are largely irrelevent, and the human can choose anything for their feat, they arn't pigeonholed.

Fax Celestis
2006-10-05, 11:57 PM
Either Wis -2 or LA +1, and if you go the LA +1 route, you might as well give them a Con bonus while you're at it.

TheOOB
2006-10-06, 12:31 AM
I think I'll just put the int penalty back, allowing another generation of barbarians with 3 int to go by

MrSeth
2006-10-06, 01:38 AM
I prefer to null the Charisma bonus when dealing with Half-orcs. Charisma is force of personality, not just appearance. As anyone who has ever faced down a snarling Half-orc with a double-axe knows, they've got plenty of that.

And saliva. Yecch.