PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Stats for a Gibbon

Doresain
2009-01-26, 05:42 PM
thats right...im looking for stats on the smallest of the apes...im beginning to doubt whether they exist or not though...

has anybody seen stats for something that is bigger than a monkey but smaller than a baboon, homebrewed or otherwise? and if not, what would be a good fix? should i just take the baboon and shrink it, fixing ability scores accordingly?

(i need the stats for an awakened gibbon monk that i will be playing...i was originally gunna be a monkey, but theyre to small)

hamishspence
2009-01-26, 05:43 PM
Advance a monkey from Tiny to Small? Brachiation feat from Complete Adventurer might be appropiate.

Prometheus
2009-01-26, 07:36 PM
Here's my take (a baboon only has one HD, so a Gibbon should too. Also, monkeys effectively have Brachiation because they have a high climb speed. If you want, he could have Scent or +1 natural armor and lose the bonus feat).

Gibbon
Small Animal
HD: 1d8
Init: +2
Speed: 30ft walk, 30ft climb
AC: 13 (+1 size +2 dex)
BAB/Grapple:+0/-5
Attack: +3 bite (1d4-1)
Space Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Qualities: lowlight vision
Saves:Fort+2, Ref+4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 9, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 5
Skills: Balance +10, Climb +13, Escape Artist +2, Hide +6, Listen +5, Spot +5
Feats: Alertness Weapon Finesse(Bite) (bonus feat)
CR: 1/4

Doresain
2009-01-27, 01:32 AM
should they have a bonus to jump? gibbons are known for doing some ridiculously long jumps

Darrin
2009-01-27, 09:11 AM
has anybody seen stats for something that is bigger than a monkey but smaller than a baboon, homebrewed or otherwise? and if not, what would be a good fix? should i just take the baboon and shrink it, fixing ability scores accordingly?

Closest I can find is a Brood Monkey, from the WotC website, but it's a monstrous humanoid... not quite what you're looking for:

https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20041126a

If you want to adapt an existing animal, I'd go with resizing the baboon. Just make it small, adjust the stats for the size reduction, but keep everything else the same.

You could also advance a tiny monkey up to 2HD, but then you have a small-sized monkey with more HD than a baboon.

Something else you might want to consider... just take an existing small race and refluff it. I'd probably use Grippli (Dragon #324). Remove or replace the bonus vs. vermin, remove or replace the martial proficiency with nets/bolas, and change the +2 racial bonus on move silently to balance or tumble.

Prometheus
2009-01-27, 05:04 PM
should they have a bonus to jump? gibbons are known for doing some ridiculously long jumps
Sure, I just based mine of an ordinary monkey with stats closer to a baboon, so feel free to modify it to fit your needs. A monkey has a +8 racial bonus to Balance and to Climb, as well as use their Dex bonus for Climbing, and this monkey has 2 ranks in each of Spot and Listen (I made an error in the skills, Climb should be +10). With a +8 racial bonus to Jump added, he'd have +7, if you changed the alertness feat and diverted the skill points that could go as high as +13 (with +2 to swimming).

Tengu_temp
2009-01-27, 05:21 PM
3.5 Weapon Finesse affects all your finessable weapons, not just single chosen one.

Doresain
2009-01-27, 11:14 PM
yeah thats stats work well

thanks for all the help