PDA

View Full Version : Smegheads together for one last time ...

Illiterate Scribe
2009-01-26, 08:20 PM
Discuss. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7851989.stm)

I have a horrible feeling that it will be ruined (mostly because it is a New remake of an Old thing), but I'm holding out hope.

Icewalker
2009-01-27, 01:48 AM
Well it means they have to declare something non-canon Oh wait, 2/3rds of Red Dwarf isn't canon. Never mind.

I dunno, could be alright. Good times though, that show. They had some really hilarious stuff.

Innis Cabal
2009-01-27, 02:09 AM
Awsome show. That and Waiting For God were some of my best Friday nights at home in front of the TV.

I don't know about this, it could be bad. Could be good

TengYt
2009-01-27, 04:59 AM
So, will this declare season 8 non-canon? God I hope so. I dunno how they'd continue off of that ending anyway.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-01-27, 05:00 AM
Hmm... I'm not sure whether to dread or look forward to this. On one hand, I always felt sad that they were never going to get back to Earth, and on the other hand; that was the main premise of the show, the overarching goal of the series'.

bosssmiley
2009-01-27, 06:36 AM
The new two-part series Red Dwarf: Back to Earth will be followed by a "no holds barred" episode without sets, special effects or autocue.

The weekend will climax with Red Dwarf: the Making of Back to Earth, a behind-the-scenes special from the new episodes.

So that'd be some shameless cash-grubbing IP mining by the BBC then. Odds on a ridiculously overpriced DVD being in the shops by May? :smallannoyed:

BBC commissioning hack 1: "So Torchwood's done, we've no Dr Who this year, Survivors was crap and Stardrive* bombed. What are we to do to keep the sci-fi/comedy geeks happy?"
BBC commissioning hack 2: "Let's dig up "Red Dwarf" and play corpse puppets with it. They'll lap it up..."

* The execrable Red Dwarf wannabe with Nick Frost and a bunch of 3rd string comic actors.

Count me as an "Oh dear Holly NO!!!!!!" vote. :smallamused:

SilentNight
2009-01-27, 09:52 AM
Yeah, seems like they're scraping the bottom of the barrel per se. Still might be good though. I just realized though I haven't seen that show in about three years, go figure.

Demus
2009-01-27, 11:43 AM
Meh, I’ll probably check it out simply for the nostalgia of it since I haven’t seen the show in a long time.

Canadian
2009-01-27, 01:22 PM
It's gonna suck.

Athaniar
2009-01-27, 02:21 PM
I certainly hope this is going to be good...

unstattedCommoner
2009-01-27, 02:43 PM
Just so long as Chris Barrie is involved, because
He's Arnold, Arnold, Arnold Rimmer,
Without him life would be much grimmer. (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7b35O8O_5ZM)

Starscream
2009-01-27, 06:57 PM
Well this isn't as cool as getting a proper new series, or that movie that's been in Development Baator for years, but I'm still cautiously optimistic. I just wish I knew who was writing it.

Red Dwarf rules when both Grant and Naylor write it, but when the team is split in half the quality usually follows suit.

I'm assuming the proper cast is returning? You need Charles, Barrie and Jules to have proper Red Dwarf. Llewellyn is pretty important as well. I prefer Lovett to Hayridge as Holly, but can go either way.

Nothing against Kochanski, but the series never really needed her. I don't blame the actress, it's just that she showed up at the same time the writing took a downturn, so she never had any particularly good moments to make her grow on me.

Icewalker
2009-01-27, 07:08 PM
Well, half the reason that show was so great was that half the time it was so horrible in such an awesome way. It had many terrible ideas, awful explanations, unsubtle canon-fixes, and all else. But there were many amazing executions, hilarious jokes, and my favorite explanation for the Kennedy assassination EVER. I think it'd fail pretty hard without the old cast though.

Innis Cabal
2009-01-27, 07:32 PM
That was very clearly the point you know

Athaniar
2009-01-28, 02:15 AM
Just so long as Chris Barrie is involved, because
He's Arnold, Arnold, Arnold Rimmer,
Without him life would be much grimmer. (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7b35O8O_5ZM)

Heh, I love that song. And the series as whole, of course.

Manga Shoggoth
2009-01-28, 05:11 AM
Meh, I’ll probably check it out simply for the nostalgia of it since I haven’t seen the show in a long time.

Keep an eye out on Dave generally. Odd episodes have been turning up in the evenings.

Vael Nir
2009-01-28, 05:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKsjaOqDXgg&feature=related

"... and hopefully, some sex!"
"what a guy!"

:smallbiggrin:

Haven
2009-01-28, 06:58 PM
Development Baator

Heh.

I've never seen Red Dwarf so I don't feel particularly invested in this, but the last time BBC revived an old, long-running sci-fi show it turned out pretty well right? :p

Dispozition
2009-01-28, 07:21 PM
I'm dearly hoping this makes it's way to Australia before the end of the year. Red Dwarf is one of the best comedies I've ever seen, one of the few that can make me laugh even after I've seen it about 5 times :D

banjo1985
2009-01-29, 09:09 AM
I love Red Dwarf, I'll admit to having all 8 series on DVD, but I can't help but be skeptical about this. Series 8 was mediocre, and dredging up an old series after ten years seems desperate.

I'll also struggle to take Craig Charles seriously now because of his stint in Coranation Street. I get shivers of unease just thinking about it. :smalleek:

Z-dan
2009-01-29, 03:43 PM
Well that's interesting... Red Dwarf is one of the best sitcoms ever (rivalled only by Blackadder) and it's been long rumoured that it would make a return... My biggest concern is how much the actors have aged in the past 10 years... I shall eagerly anticipate this, along with the Easter Doctor Who and the new Torchwood... yay geeky sci-fi weekend :smallbiggrin:

Jack_Banzai
2009-01-29, 05:20 PM
I actually really liked Season 8 of Red Dwarf, but not because of Kochanski or anything. It just so happens that Seasons 1 and 2 are my favorite, before the arrival of the "weird phenomena/monster, Kryten or Holly explains everything and hatches a plan, they bugger it up but win anyway" Scooby-Doo plots of Seasons 3-5. I just like Lister and Rimmer hashing it out in their bunk, and the return of snide, jackass Rimmer was way overdue. It was a mistake trying to bring depth to his character. Rimmer is the insult comic of the crew, moreso than Lister or Cat, and though he is weaselly and pathetic, he is also terrifyingly talented at cutting people down.

I was also happy to see Cat getting to do a little of his own thing without Lister or Rimmer as straight men to his cat-like behavior. For instance, the part in Season 8 when he tries to pick a fight with a fellow inmate so that he can go on medical leave. Priceless. Kryten got to stretch out in a couple of new directions as well, like his "Kryten-as-woman" storyline.

I'm on the fence with this new material. Let's see what happens, shall we?