PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Two-Weapon question

Holocron Coder
2009-01-27, 02:40 AM
So, this is an easy enough question, but I don't have my books with me currently...

Is there a way to dual-wield khopeshes? (kopeshi?) Seems they're not off-hand weapons, so... Is there an over-sized two-weapon fighting sort of feat in 4e?

Townopolis
2009-01-27, 02:46 AM
Be a ranger.

RTGoodman
2009-01-27, 02:47 AM
Be a Ranger. Either through being a member of the Ranger class:

TWO-BLADE FIGHTING STYLE
Because of your focus on two-weapon melee attacks, you can
wield a one-handed weapon in your off hand as if it were an
off-hand weapon.

Or by taking the Two-Blade Warrior Ranger Multiclass feat from Martial Power:

Two-Blade Warrior [Multiclass Ranger]

Prerequisite: Str 13, Dex 13
Benefit: You gain training in one skill from the ranger’s class
skill list.

You can wield a one-handed weapon in your off hand as though
it were an off-hand weapon.

EDIT: Heh, not only did you ninja me, but with the exact same post! (Except for the extra info I added.)

EDIT 2: Alright, now it's just hilarious. How many "Be a Ranger" posts you think we'll get? :smalltongue:

skywalker
2009-01-27, 02:47 AM
Be a ranger.

EDIT: Double Ninja'd!

Ooh, Two-Blade Warrior is an epic level feat, right? I think that needs to be mentioned...

Holocron Coder
2009-01-27, 02:56 AM
Two-Blade warrior is epic? Dang. I'm trying to build a Barbarian that dual-wields khopeshes.

EDIT: Ah, it's not epic. It's tier-less.

So, any particular power that's imperative for dual weapons (up to lvl18?)

RTGoodman
2009-01-27, 02:58 AM
BOoh, Two-Blade Warrior is an epic level feat, right? I think that needs to be mentioned...

I... don't think so. I don't see it in the Compendium (I literally copied the whole entry above), and unless I'm mistake ALL multiclass feats are Heroic (and thus available at all tiers).

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-27, 03:00 AM
Two-Blade warrior is epic? Dang. I'm trying to build a Barbarian that dual-wields khopeshes.

EDIT: Ah, it's not epic. It's tier-less.

So, any particular power that's imperative for dual weapons (up to lvl18?)

...something that lets you attack with two weapons in one round? That is generally the idea, right?

skywalker
2009-01-27, 03:00 AM
That makes me sad. Now rangers don't get their fun times all to themselves.

Holocron Coder
2009-01-27, 03:03 AM
...something that lets you attack with two weapons in one round? That is generally the idea, right?

Well, yes, but was more leaning towards something that was a definite need. I'll just toggle through the powers and see what there's to be had.

Thanks for the help, all :smallbiggrin:

RTGoodman
2009-01-27, 03:03 AM

This, pretty much. I mean, jaws of the wolf, adaptive assault, they all do basically the same. Just pick which ones have effects you'd want your attacks to have.

Townopolis
2009-01-27, 03:10 AM
That makes me sad. Now rangers don't get their fun times all to themselves.

The thing about this is that TWF is only useful if you have powers that allow you to hit with both weapons. I mean, you can go around with a flaming longsword in one hand and a thundering longsword in the other to gain the benefits of whichever energy type is more useful, but that doesn't strike me as terribly cost effective.

Anyway, long story short, the only people so far who have access to those kinds of abilities are rangers themselves and tempest fighters, who gain bonuses when fighting with offhand weapons such that most tempest fighters are more inclined to fight with two shortswords rather than longsword & shortsword.

Multiclassing into ranger will allow you to spend more feats to gain 2 powers that utilize TWF, but you still won't have the at-will needed to make it really effective unless you paragon multiclass into ranger (or are a tempest fighter, which I already covered).

Overall, it's not that much of a party for whomever takes the multiclass feat.

Holocron Coder
2009-01-27, 03:54 AM
Well, figured I got the character how I want him. Mostly just messing around with the tools.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Drassk, level 18
Dragonborn, Barbarian, Frenzied Berserker
Feral Might: Rageblood Vigor

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 23, Con 18, Dex 16, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 11.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 16, Con 14, Dex 14, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 8.

AC: 30 Fort: 29 Reflex: 25 Will: 22
HP: 135 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 37

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate, Athletics, Perception, Endurance.

FEATS
1: Two-Blade Warrior
2: Hurl Breath
4: Two-Weapon Fighting
6: Two-Weapon Defense
8: Defensive Mobility
10: Novice Power
11: Armor Specialization (Hide)
12: Deadly Axe
14: Heavy Blade Opportunity
16: Adept Power
18: Devastating Critical

POWERS
1, At-Will: Howling Strike
1, At-Will: Pressing Strike
1, Encounter: Great Cleave
1, Daily: Bloodhunt Rage
2, Utility: Primal Vitality
3, Encounter: Blade Sweep
5, Daily: Thunder Hawk Rage
6, Utility: Barbarian Inexorable Shift
7, Encounter: Tide of Blood (retrained to Claws of the Griffon at Novice Power)
9, Daily: Oak Hammer Rage
10, Utility: Wellspring of Renewal
13, Encounter: Blade Whirlwind (replaces Great Cleave)
15, Daily: Flameheart Rage (retrained to Blade Cascade at Adept Power) (replaces Bloodhunt Rage)
16, Utility: Spur the Cycle
17, Encounter: Shoulder Slam (replaces Blade Sweep)

ITEMS
Battle Harness Earthhide Armor +3, Inescapable Khopesh +3, Bloodiron Khopesh +3, Flame Bracers (heroic tier), Luckbender Gloves (heroic tier), Horned Helm (heroic tier), Amulet of Physical Resolve +2, Stalwart Belt (heroic tier), Boots of Adept Charging (heroic tier)
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======

Thoughts?

NPCMook
2009-01-27, 05:13 AM
Off-topic: Is the DnDI Character Building complete yet, or is it still in beta?

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-27, 06:08 AM
Off-topic: Is the DnDI Character Building complete yet, or is it still in beta?

It's not in beta. But, three out of every five posts I've seen it mentioned in were apologies for yet another blatantly incorrect statement based off of yet another Character Builder glitch.

[/offtopic]