PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problems

Athaniar
2009-01-27, 05:48 AM
I'm having a problem with my computer (not the one I'm posting this with, mind you): when I'm starting it up, strange blue (and white) lines and dots appear on the loading screen, and before it's fully started up, the monitor "goes to sleep". I think it may be a graphic problem, but I have no idea what to do about it.

Ichneumon
2009-01-27, 06:34 AM
I had a similar problem once, I think. My cooling wasn't installed and he would overheat and therefore shut down even before he was fully started up. Your problem might be something entirely different though.

Athaniar
2009-01-27, 02:04 PM
Let's go through the problem step by step:

I start the computer up normally. The usual loading screen appears, but it's covered in blue lines and dots (mostly dots). Then, when it should start up, it goes black. The machine itself is still on, but the screen is completely black.

Jimorian
2009-01-27, 02:53 PM
Might be a loose video card is all I can think of.

bluewind95
2009-01-27, 03:03 PM
Or a mis-configured one... although if it was working fine before...

A similar thing happened to me when I installed a new video card and forgot to switch it in the BIOS to VGA mode. Graphic glitches and then.... nothing on the screen.

Thiel
2009-01-27, 05:54 PM
Have you checked whether the monitor is connected properly? It sounds like either a loose connection or a bad wire to me.

thubby
2009-01-27, 10:57 PM
Have you checked whether the monitor is connected properly? It sounds like either a loose connection or a bad wire to me.

i agree with this.
also try using your computer with someone else's monitor.