PDA

View Full Version : SWSE Assistance required.

kkortekaas
2009-01-27, 10:59 AM
So I might be called upon to run a one-off pickup game in two weeks, but I've got very little experience running SWSE and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.

This one-off might form the basis for an on-going campaign but that won't likely happen for a couple months (we've gotta wrap up an Iron Heroes game)

The scenario I'm envisioning is as follows.
- Slightly before Order 66 (I actually see it being executed during the adventure)
- Jedi Master takes his padawan(s) to visit an old friend (a smuggler of some sort) as the old friend has information that could help the Republic vs the Separtists.
- All the characters would have some connection to either the Jedi or the smuggler to force that group connection (not the way I usually operate, but for a 1 off, it'll do)
- The adventure will mostly comprise escaping and evading Clone Trooper forces while they seek a way off of the planet / station / whatever that they are currently on.

I need the community's help in the following
- Fleshing out my idea.
- Assisitng in generating a bunch of pre-generated characters (so if they all want to be Jedi, they can be) say 28 point buy, using the following books
SWSW Core, Threats to the Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Force Unleashed, Starships of the Galxy.
-I'll likely give them a busted up Ghrtoc , but if someone wants to help make it unique that'd be great.

I know I'm asking a lot here, but in my forum trolling, I've noted that this community is excellent at coming through for weird requests.

Thanks Again,
Niv.

Mando Knight
2009-01-27, 11:18 AM
You're in the Late Clone Wars? You should look into the Clone Wars campaign guide...

Talya
2009-01-27, 12:40 PM
You're in the Late Clone Wars? You should look into the Clone Wars campaign guide...

This!

Besides, the book is pretty damn cool. Not perfect, but cool.

Kiero
2009-01-27, 12:46 PM
I need the community's help in the following
- Fleshing out my idea.
- Assisitng in generating a bunch of pre-generated characters (so if they all want to be Jedi, they can be) say 28 point buy, using the following books
SWSW Core, Threats to the Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Force Unleashed, Starships of the Galxy.

On the generating characters side of things, if you've got the Saga Sheet (latest one, 1.27d is here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=866480&page=36)), it's trivially easy.

How many players do you have? Because there should be between 1.5 and 2 pregens per player.

I don't mind having a play at making some characters. What level are these characters, and what kinds of roles do you want them to play? If they're higher than 1st, you can do a lot more interesting things with them than starting characters. I'd recommend 5th to 7th personally. If they're under 8th level, no Jedi character will be an independent Knight.

If you're playing it strictly canon Rise of Empire, the Master can have only one Padawan. But if another Padawan's Master has been killed in the fighting (happened a lot, there were a lot of Master-less Padawans), perhaps they've taken them on unofficially. This matters because otherwise you've basically got a cap of one Jedi (unless this group is higher than 8th level, in which case there could be a PC Knight).

You've also got to explain why there are a load of clonetroopers around. Are they at one of the active war-fronts? Are they in a staging area? Is this some kind of outpost that's being held by the Republic to prevent it falling into Separatist hands? What local resources (either non-clone or even Separatist) could they call upon to ally with when Order 66 goes down?

kkortekaas
2009-01-27, 12:51 PM
budgetary constraints prevent me from purchasing that sourcebook in the timeframe I have available.

Kiero
2009-01-27, 12:55 PM
budgetary constraints prevent me from purchasing that sourcebook in the timeframe I have available.

Honestly, you don't need it. Wookiepedia (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_Wars)is free, there's loads of material from the Republic comics and new and old Clone Wars series you can draw on.

Mando Knight
2009-01-27, 01:57 PM
Besides, the book is pretty damn cool. Not perfect, but cool.

GAH! Now I want my own copy even more! (is out of money)

Kiero
2009-01-28, 06:26 AM
I'm going to start putting together some 5th level characters, in absence of any other kind of guidance, and post them up here. They'll have a brief paragraph of background-type info, then a stat block.

Kiero
2009-01-28, 06:58 AM
Here's the first one, a pilot/spacer type.

Tolu Inrull always wanted to fly. For as long as she could remember, it was her dream to get out into the black and fly the fastest thing she could. She's a natural in the cockpit, and came top of her class in flight school. An ExplorCorps recruiter happened to be observing the final proficiency exams, and offered her a job supporting the Jedi Order. That drew her into the Clone Wars, where she's served in a number of roles including occasionally on the front lines.

Tolu Inrull CL 5

Medium Duros scoundrel 4/scout 1
Init +10; Senses Perception +9
Languages Basic, Bocce, Durese, Rodese, Sullustese

Defenses Ref 20 (flat-footed 17), Fort 16, Will 18; Evasion, Vehicular Combat
hp 38; Threshold 16

Speed 6 squares
Melee by weapon +3
Ranged blaster rifle +6 (3d8+2) or
Ranged blaster rifle +1 (3d8+2) with autofire or
Ranged blaster pistol +6 (3d6+2)
Base Atk +3; Grp +6
Atk Options autofire (blaster rifle), Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
Special Actions Knack 1/day

Abilities Str 10, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 12
Special Qualities expert pilot
Talents Evasion, Knack, Spacehound
Feats Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Skill Focus (Pilot), Starship Tactics, Vehicular Combat, Weapon Proficiency (pistols, rifles, simple)
Skills Acrobatics +10, Initiative +10, Knowledge (galactic lore) +10, Knowledge (tactics) +10, Mechanics +10, Perception +9, Pilot +15 (may reroll but must keep the result of the reroll even if worse)
Possessions blaster pistol, blaster rifle with Retractable Stock

She has 3 unselected Starship Maneuvers.

Kiero
2009-01-28, 07:36 AM
Originally from Ord Mantell, Garrik spent some time as a mercenary wandering from skirmish to skirmish before the Clone Wars. He fell in with a company working for the Republic and spent a lot of time with the clones, even learning their language. At the war's end he was a Sergeant on Saleucami.

Garrik Houn CL 5

Medium Human scout 1/soldier 4
Init +9; Senses darkvision, low-light vision; Perception +10
Languages Basic, Bocce, Mando'a

Defenses Ref 21 (flat-footed 18), Fort 21, Will 16; Evasion
hp 67; Threshold 21

Speed 6 squares
Melee vibroblade +6 (2d6+4) or
Melee vibroblade +4 (3d6+4) with Rapid Strike or
Melee vibroblade +10 (2d6+6) with Powerful Charge
Ranged commando special rifle +6 (3d10+2) or
Ranged commando special rifle +1 (3d10+2) with autofire or
Ranged blaster pistol +6 (3d6+2)
Base Atk +4; Grp +6
Atk Options autofire (commando special rifle), Point Blank Shot, Powerful Charge, Rapid Strike
Special Actions Shake It Off, Tough as Nails

Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 10
Talents Armored Defense, Evasion, Tough as Nails
Feats Armor Proficiency (light), Martial Arts I, Point Blank Shot, Powerful Charge, Rapid Strike, Shake it Off, Weapon Proficiency (advanced melee, pistols, rifles, simple)
Skills Athletics* +9, Endurance +9, Initiative +9, Knowledge (tactics) +9, Mechanics +9, Perception +10, Stealth +9, Survival +8
Possessions blaster pistol, commando special rifle, stormtrooper armor (+6 armor, +2 equipment) with vaccuum seals, Internal Comlink, short-range and Helmet Package, vibroblade

*Assuming you're going with the three skills Climb, Jump and Swim merged

Armour (which is customised clonetrooper armour) has an unused upgrade slot. If you want to make him either more melee focused, or more ranged-focused, feel free to play with his Feats. I went for someone who was reasonably good at range and up close.

Yes I like Evasion for pilots and primary combatants, sue me. :smallbiggrin:

Kiero
2009-01-28, 08:02 AM
Noa was a fairly typical Jedi Padawan before the Clone Wars began, one who's progress marked him out as a likely Guardian one day. Then he lost his Master in one of the early battles, and became one of the many Masterless students left in a kind of limbo. He was with the "Padawan Pack" on Jabiim and was one of the few survivors.

Noa Salm-Saar CL 5

Medium Human Jedi 4/soldier 1
Init +9; Senses Perception +9
Languages Basic, Bocce

Defenses Ref 20 (flat-footed 17), Fort 19, Will 18; Block, Deflect
hp 59; Threshold 19

Speed 6 squares
Melee lightsaber +7 (2d8+4) or
Melee lightsaber +7 (2d8+6) with both hands or
Melee lightsaber +5 (3d8+6) with Rapid Strike or
Melee unarmed +7 (1d6+4) or
Melee unarmed +5 (2d6+4) with Rapid Strike
Ranged by weapon +7
Base Atk +5; Grp +7
Atk Options Rapid Strike
Force Powers Known (Use The Force +14) battle strike (2), mind trick, move object, surge, vital transfer

Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 14
Talents Armored Defense, Block, Deflect
Feats Armor Proficiency (light), Force Sensitive, Force Training (2), Martial Arts I, Rapid Strike, Skill Focus (Use the Force), Weapon Proficiency (lightsabers, simple)
Skills Acrobatics +9, Initiative +9, Perception +9, Use the Force +14
Possessions lightsaber, stormtrooper armor (+6 armor, +2 equipment) with Internal Comlink, short-range and Helmet Package

kkortekaas
2009-01-28, 08:16 AM
Great characters Keiro, I've decided to run Dawn of Defiance so I'm going to need to "dumb" down the characters to level 1, but the little backstory blurbs are great.

Do you think I could get you to churn out a bunch more backgrounds of similiar length?

I've got 4 players, and I' figured I'd provide a total of 8 characters for them to choose from, I figured two jedi, and a spattering of other classes would work well.

Thoughts?

Kiero
2009-01-28, 08:48 AM
Great characters Keiro, I've decided to run Dawn of Defiance so I'm going to need to "dumb" down the characters to level 1, but the little backstory blurbs are great.

Do you think I could get you to churn out a bunch more backgrounds of similiar length?

I've got 4 players, and I' figured I'd provide a total of 8 characters for them to choose from, I figured two jedi, and a spattering of other classes would work well.

Thoughts?

Problem is they don't really work as 1st level characters, they're all multiclass because you get more interesting variations that way. With a single level, no variation.

Writing blurbs for 1st level characters is often quite painful, because they really haven't done much. To be honest, 1st level characters just aren't interesting to play around with.

They're not difficult to do if you download the SagaSheet linked upthread, though.

Have you given any thought to the questions about where this is taking place?

kkortekaas
2009-01-28, 09:16 AM
arg the boards ate my reply.

Basically its as follows, I'm not going to have the time to flesh out my original plan, so I'm going to run Dawn of Defiance, the first adventure is supposed to be set a couple months after Order 66, so any Jedi on the space station (where the adventure starts) have to keep a low profile.

They have to be level 1 because that requires the least amount of work to prep for my upcoming game night.

and it's mostly the motivations that I have difficulty for, I'm confident I can push out 8 sets of stats, but the reason why everyone is on the station is what's troublesome for me

kkortekaas
2009-01-29, 08:03 AM
So the crunch part for a level 1 is (as Kiero said) going to be pretty easy, but it's the motivations I'm going to have difficulty with. Any chance I could get the communities assistance in producing 5 - 7 additional backstories to go along with these? (I've modded Kiero's backstories a touch to fit better with my scenario)

Human Male Jedi 1 (Noa Salm-Saar)
Noa was a fairly typical Jedi Padawan before the Clone Wars began, one who's progress marked him out as a likely Guardian one day. Then he lost his Master in one of the early battles, and became one of the many Masterless students left in a kind of limbo. He's now on the run from the Empire while trying to contact surviving members of the Jedi Order.

Human Male Scout (Garrik Houn )
Originally from Ord Mantell, Garrik spent some time as a mercenary wandering from skirmish to skirmish before the Clone Wars. He fell in with a company working for the Republic and spent a lot of time with the clones, even learning their language. The war ended before Garrik could see any real large scale action.

Medium Duros scoundrel 1 (Tolu Inrull)
Tolu Inrull always wanted to fly. For as long as she could remember, it was her dream to get out into the black and fly the fastest thing she could. She's a natural in the cockpit, and a chance run in with a ExplorCorps recruiter had her quickly enrolled in flight school. It was quickly apprently that she would graduation at the top of her class and she was earmarked to work closely with the Jedi Order. The Rise of the Empire has changed that.