PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry I zapped your face...[Prc]

pyrefiend
2006-10-01, 06:20 PM
This is a Prc I made months ago. I like some of the class abilities so here it is:

Requirements:To qualify to become a Sparkworker, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
Spells: resist energy(electricity)shocking grasp
Skills: craft (alchemy) 8 ranks
Caster level 4th
Sparkworker

{table]
Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special

1st +0 +0 +2 +0 Discharge 10%, +1 Voltage,+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

2nd +1 +0 +3 +0 Discharge 20%, electricity risistance 5,+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

3rd +1 +1 +3 +1 Discharge 30%, +2 Voltage, magnetic

4th +2 +1 +4 +1 Discharge 40%, Flashdodge 1/day,+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

5th +2 +1 +4 +1 Discharge 50%, ,+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

6th +3 +2 +5 +2 Discharge 60%, electricity resistance 10, +3 Voltage, elctromagnetic, +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

7th +3 +2 +5 +2 Discharge 70%, Voltage +3, Flashdodge 3/ day

8th +4 +2 +6 +2 Discharge 80%,electricity resistance 20,

9th +4 +3 +6 +3 Discharge 90%, ultramagnetic, +4Voltage,

10th +5 +3 +7 +3 Imminent Discarge, Accelerate Metabolism, Flashdodge 5/day
[/table]

Class Skills:The Sparkworkers clss skills are:Concentration (Con), Craft (alchemy) (Int), Knowledge (arcana)(Int), Open Lock (Dex), Spellcraft (Int)
Hit Dice:d6
Class Features:All of the following are features of the Sparkworker prestige class:
Discharge:Beginning at level 1, whenever a Sparkworker uses a spell which uses any type of energy damage, other than electricity, there is a 10% chance it deals electricity dammage. The sparkworker rolls a d%,on a 1-10 the spell is under the effect of discharge. Every level thereafter the chance increases by 10% untill it is inevitable at tenth level. Any time when the Sparkworker wishes to bypass the discharge effect he may make a caster level check , DC 15+spell level, to cast the spell normally.
High Voltage:At level 1, a Sparkworker uses all electric spells, even those used through discharge at +1 caster level. At level 6 this bonus becomes +2 and at level 8 it is +3.
Flashdodge: In battle, a Sparkworker can become pure electric charge for an instant, dodging even the most well-placed blows. Starting at level 4, a Sparkworker can use a flashdodge 1/day in responce to a single attack or situation requiring a reflex save. This automaticly dodges an attack or passes a reflex save. At level 7 he can flashdodge 3/day and at level 10 he can flashdodge 5/day This bonus can only be applied to reflex saving throws and armor class.
Electric Resistance:At level 2 a Sparkworker gains electric resistance 5. At level 6 this resistance increases to 10 and at level 8, 20. At level 10 he is completly immune to electricity.
Magnetic: At level 3, a sparkworker can lift up to 30lbs. of magnetic material as with the mage hand spell.
Electromagnetic:At level 9, a sparkworker can move up to 60lbs. of magnetic material as with the mage hand spell.
Ultra MagneticAt level 10, a sparkworkers electromagnetic ability effects objects up to 90 lbs. Additionaly, any electric attack that passes through a 20 ft. radius, centered on the Sparkworker, is drawn to him. This includes AoE and cone effects.
Accelerate Metabolism: At this point the Sparkworker's body is so used to static electricity running through it, it actually benefits from taking on more electrical current. If a Sparkworker is hit by or uses any elctrical spell at least three times in four rounds, his ultramagnetic ability affects an additional 30 lbs. of materials and his radius of magnetism increases by 10 ft. Additionaly his Voltage ability increases another +1 to caser level. This effect stacks only once more if the sparkworker is electricly amplified another 3 or more times in the next 4 rounds. As soon as this requirement stops being fulfilled, the enhancment drops completly
Arcane spells: A Sparkworker gains more spells per day and spells known as their previous arcane spellcasting class. However they do not gain any other class abilities of this other class.

Diem
2006-10-01, 06:35 PM
It seems fairly balanced, maybe even under-powered. You give them the flash dodge and increased caster level for electricity, but also an inability to cast any other type of damage as they level up. If they fight someone with immunity to electricity, they're SOT (****e on toast). Maybe if you gave them a slight ability to get through electrical immunities (with a hefty bonus to the target's save to balance).

pyrefiend
2006-10-01, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the advice. How about on a discharged spell, the Sparkworker can make a concentration check (15+spell level?)to cast the spell normaly. However I dont see why you'd do this except against monsters with immunity to electricity.

Miles Invictus
2006-10-01, 06:51 PM
This is a caster PrC, right? You might want to give it some sort of caster progression.

Also, Flashdodge could be described in simpler language.
Once per day, you can use Flashdodge to ignore the effects of a single attack, or automatically pass a single Reflex save. If you use Flashdodge to evade an attack, you must use it before the attack is rolled.

Randomman413
2006-10-01, 06:57 PM
500 DEX would be +245, not +200. +200 would be 410 DEX. Also, is there any caster level increase? Is this a full spellcasting advancement PrC? 10 levels is a long time to go for a spellcaster if he isn't getting any new spells. Just think of how impaired a caster would be if they didn't get any new spells for 10 levels. Ouch!

pyrefiend
2006-10-01, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I did some editing. :)

fangthane
2006-10-01, 08:58 PM
Just a thought, but if you're only omitting one level of spellcasting it should probably hit at level 6; at that point the character is getting all 3 saves and more, so spells aren't as much of a necessity for balance.

Edit - for the sake of continuity the electrical resistance should go to 20 at level 8 and to invulnerability at level 10.

Beldak
2006-10-02, 10:44 PM
You may want to break electomagnetic up a little bit so that there is partial benifits at lower levels. I think you should put a minimum caster level on the prerequisite and then you could probably afford to add more in terms of + to caster progression.

I think one of the things you should keep in mind as you balance this prestigue class is that energy substitution powers are probably more powerful then your electrical substitution. And Divine metamagic heighten is almost as powerful as Voltage, and these don't have to come from prestige classes. Which I think gives you a bit more leg room for power over all.

So maybe two more levels of caster progression at 7 and at 8. Also you have voltage +3 writen twice and no hit die recorded that I can see.
[Edit] If you think about it, and you implement everything people are talking about, the person gives up 4 levels of spell progression for: energy substitution(electricity), practice caster (the feat but only for combat damage spells), immunity electricity, slightly more powerful mage hand, and a once a day free miss. Plus they loose some skills but that is countered by better hit die then wizard. I would say you are about as powerful as a base class here, in terms of give and take, you could afford to up the skills selection or give another level of caster progression.

pyrefiend
2006-10-03, 05:02 PM
[Edit] If you think about it, and you implement everything people are talking about, the person gives up 4 levels of spell progression for: energy substitution(electricity), practice caster (the feat but only for combat damage spells), immunity electricity, slightly more powerful mage hand, and a once a day free miss. Plus they loose some skills but that is countered by better hit die then wizard. I would say you are about as powerful as a base class here, in terms of give and take, you could afford to up the skills selection or give another level of caster progression.

Yeah, I think you're right. I toned this pestige class down quite a bit before posting. I dont really want to add anymore caster progession. Instead I'm going to make some more powerful abilities and increase the power of the old ones.

[Done editing, how does it look now?]

Eighth_Seraph
2006-10-04, 05:00 PM
If you think about it, and you implement everything people are talking about, the person gives up 4 levels of spell progression for: energy substitution(electricity), practice caster (the feat but only for combat damage spells), immunity electricity, slightly more powerful mage hand, and a once a day free miss. Plus they loose some skills but that is countered by better hit die then wizard. I would say you are about as powerful as a base class here, in terms of give and take, you could afford to up the skills selection or give another level of caster progression.
*cough, wheeze*
You make it seem like four levels of caster level loss is a little thing. Any primary spellcaster willing to lose that much of his arsenal for electricity damage is ddomed to die horribly, painfully and in several languages at the hands of the first construct or golem he sees. This class managed to balance that issue unusually well, but anyone taking too many levels in this class too quickly will find all of his spellcasting abilities below par, as even with High Voltage, the mage is losing three effective spellcasting levels, and all access to the ninth level spells until into epic levels. Not suer if there's any way to forego that without overpowering the class, but it is an inevitability of adding flavor to magic prestige classes.

pyrefiend
2006-10-04, 05:30 PM
Maybe I could add 1-2 more levels of caster progression for this? That coupled with the ability to risist the discharge effect (already edited in) could be enough to balance this class, I think.

leostar2222
2006-10-05, 05:24 PM
Good. It does look more balanced with the extra levels of caster...