PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 1 issue

Inhuman Bot
2009-01-27, 07:40 PM
I had downloaded the fallout 1 demo recently, and when I try to play it, an error message reading "An privilaged instruction was executed at adress 0046bfd5".

I tried running the game as an Admin, and in compatibility mode, but alone or in combination, they didn't work, so does anyone have some ideas of how I might be able to play it? Thanks.:smallsmile:

Oh, also, I'am using a Vista computer, and got the download from this site's link.
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=765

Anteros
2009-01-27, 08:37 PM
Fallout 1 isn't compatible with anything newer than Windows 2000. I believe there's a workaround for it, but I don't know offhand what it is.

Jimp
2009-01-27, 10:15 PM
Fallout 1 isn't compatible with anything newer than Windows 2000. I believe there's a workaround for it, but I don't know offhand what it is.

My housemates can run it perfectly fine on Vista and XP. As far as I'm aware they aren't using any extra program.

Kane
2009-01-27, 10:57 PM
I got a white label box containing Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics for the holidays. Aside from being a bit finicky about alt+tabs, I've never had a problem with it.

Erloas
2009-01-27, 11:26 PM
The full game played fine on my XP machine, I haven't got around to trying to install it since I got a new machine with Vista.

I would assume that the demo has had all of the patches necessary done to it, because of all the things Interplay did right with Fallout 1&2, bug removal wasn't one of them. I know Fallout 2 has a very extensive patch made by the playerbase for the sole purpose of fixing bugs.
I wasn't actually aware of a demo of Fallout 1, so I don't know if it was one the playerbase put together later or if it was actually from Interplay.

It might be something as simple as a bad download. You might try re-downloading it and re-installing and see if that fixes anything.

hobbes543
2009-01-28, 12:04 AM
Also, if you don't mind spending a few bucks, you can buy it from gog.com for $6 as a DRM free download. They have an installer that installs it with the right settings and tweaks to get it to run in XP or Vista.

Anteros
2009-01-28, 03:00 AM
As far as I can recall, it's not the game itself that has the issues with newer operating systems, it's the installer. Depending on how you got the game, you may never run into this issue.

I remember when I first got Fallout 1, I had to look up instructions online concerning how to install it manually, and it's supposedly a very common problem.

Triaxx
2009-01-28, 07:19 AM
There's a Fallout Collection available that's got all three, plus it causes 1&2 to install No-CD. Tactics still needs the disc though. Makes you remember why 2 needed a map slower.

Inhuman Bot
2009-01-28, 08:20 PM
ER... I was asking for help on the issue :/

Also: So I'll redownload it, thanks for that idea.