PDA

View Full Version : [Spells] I love cantrips

Dhavaer
2006-09-22, 04:41 PM
Restore
Transmutation
Level: Arcane 0; Components: V, S; Casting Time: One immediate action; Range: Short; Target: One object; Duration: Instantaneous; Saving Throw: None; Spell Resistance: No

The targeted object instantly regains 5 hit points. This can mend an object that has been broken. Only damage dealt within the last round can be repaired by this spell.

Snatch Back
Transmutation
Level: Arcane 0; Components: None; Casting Time: One swift action; Range: 10 feet; Target: One object of size Tiny or smaller; Duration: Instantaneous; Saving Throw: None; Spell Resistance: No

The targeted object returns to your hand. You must have held the object within the last minute for this spell to function. If the object is held by another creature, that creature must be willing to release the object.

HealytheHealslime
2006-09-22, 08:55 PM
Awesome, another cantrip fan ;D
Anyway, down to business. The spells are both pretty nice, but one thing that bothers me is how limiting the time frame on both spells can be. Think about. What are the odds that a wizard would be able to predict, with absolute certainty, if s/he would need those spells that day? Of course, you can leave in the time limits if you feel that there's no other way to balance the spells, but I think you should look into finding other ways to balance them.
Just my two cp.

Dhavaer
2006-09-23, 06:38 AM
I generally let mages spontaneously cast cantrips. They're weak enough that it's not unbalancing, and it means they generally aren't short a Detect Magic or a Light when it matters.

Dhavaer
2006-09-23, 06:25 PM
Illustrate
Illusion [Figment]
Level: Arcane 0; Components: V; Casting Time: Attack action; Range: Short; Area: 2 five foot cubes; Duration: Concentration; Saving Throw: None; Spell Resistance: No

The caster brings into being a simple image. It's translucent and clearly fake, but as accurate as the caster's imagination allows. There is no sound, but the caster can cause it to move within the spell's area of effect.

Dhavaer
2006-09-24, 06:55 PM
Animate Vegetable
Necromancy
Level: Arcane 0; Components: V; Casting Time: Attack action; Range: Touch; Target: 1 vegetable of tiny size or smaller; Duration: 1 minute/level; Saving Throw: None; Spell Resistance: No

The caster utters an incantation, and a single fruit or vegetable becomes filled with negative energy. It appears to decay, and grows small tendrils that function as weak limbs. It is not strong enough to carry more than 1 pound. It can move at a speed of up to 10ft., has 1 hit point and a Defence of 12. It cannot attack or speak. It follows the caster's telepathic commands to within the limits of its abilities. The most frequent use of this spell is to make one's dinner dance. The fruit or vegetable is rendered inedible by this spell.

Jarl
2006-09-24, 07:05 PM
You could use it to trip traps.

-Instead of the meatshield.

Dhavaer
2006-09-24, 07:12 PM
You don't find a lot of traps in Modern. But yeah, I guess you could do that. But realistically, you could just throw the thing and have the same effect.

LordOfNarf
2006-09-24, 11:14 PM
Illustrate
Illusion [Figment]
Level: Arcane 0; Components: V; Casting Time: Attack action; Range: Short; Area: 2 five foot cubes; Duration: Concentration; Saving Throw: None; Spell Resistance: No

The caster brings into being a simple image. It's translucent and clearly fake, but as accurate as the caster's imagination allows. There is no sound, but the caster can cause it to move within the spell's area of effect.

This is encomapssed in the effects of Prestigitation, the coolest cantrip in existence, come to think of it, so is snach back.

Fizban
2006-09-24, 11:33 PM
Ahh, but this can give you up to two 5' cubes, enough for a life sized image of a person in 3d. Prestidigitation probly shouldn't be that big, though definitly at least a few feet across in 2d.

Dhavaer
2006-09-26, 05:10 AM
Infernal Autograph
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Arcane 0; Components: S; Casting Time: See Text; Range: 1 ft.; Effect: Writing burnt into flammable material; Duration: Instantaneous; Saving Throw: None; Spell Resistance: No

You wave the index finger of your dominant hand over the surface to be written on, and it glows red hot for a moment before fading to show your words singed into it.
The casting time is dependant of the amount you write. A signature or similar (five words or less) takes a swift action. 10 words takes an attack action, and 25 words a full-round action. You cannot spend more than a full round on a single casting of this spell.

Triaxx
2006-09-26, 08:44 AM
Hmmm... so that's how they made all those heiroglyphs and still had time to build civilizations.

I like Animate Vegetable. There should be a more powerful version, that'll effect more than one at range. You could use it to drive off superstitious foes by animating their food.

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-09-26, 08:53 AM
Illustrate
Illusion [Figment]

Can you quantify "as accurate as the caster's imagination allows", please? If the caster has seen the subject they are illustrating, is the image perfect?

I'm thinking that this could be used to produce wizard art, or "photos" of a suspect / target...

Dhavaer
2006-09-26, 05:39 PM
Can you quantify "as accurate as the caster's imagination allows", please? If the caster has seen the subject they are illustrating, is the image perfect?

I'm thinking that this could be used to produce wizard art, or "photos" of a suspect / target...

You could quantify it as a +20 bonus to Craft (visual arts). If the caster can see or has an excellent memory of the subject (a family member, their home) the image would be more or less perfect.
And yes, what you've described is the spell's purpose.

Dhavaer
2006-09-27, 10:59 PM
Sever
Transmutation
Level: Arcane 0; Components: S; Casting Time: Attack Action; Range: Short; Effect: Cuts weak object; Duration: Instantaneous; Saving Throw: None; Spell Resistance: No

One unattended object is snipped in half. Object with hardness greater than 0 or hp greater that 5 cannot be targeted by this spell.

Dhavaer
2006-09-30, 07:05 AM
Launch Bullet
Transmutation
Level: Arcane 0; Components: S, M; Casting Time: Attack Action; Range: Short; Target: 1 bullet; Duration: Instantaneous; Saving Throw: None; Spell Resistance: No

You set off a bullet, firing it without a firearm. You must make a normal ranged attack, with any modifiers the bullet would normally grant you (i.e. -2 with Glaser rounds). The bullet does half the damage it normally would if fired from a gun. Any additional effects (extra damage from an incendiary round) apply normally. Shotgun shells are not applicable targets for this spell.

Material component: The bullet to be fired.

Triaxx
2006-10-01, 08:13 AM
I think it should be applicable to shotgun slugs, but not standard shells.

Fredderf
2006-10-01, 11:28 AM
Wow, these are pretty darn cool. Also original.

Snatch back seems to kind of be covered by mage hand, not prestidigitation, but it seems like it could be useful anyway.

I love Animate Vegtable and Infernal Autograph.

Launch bullet isn't overpowered and could be used in modern easily.

As far as illustrate, I would just shove it under prestidigitation and leave the picky bits to the DM.

pyrefiend
2006-10-01, 04:40 PM
Animate Vegetable is the best spell of all time. I am irrationaly happy you made it.

Dhavaer
2006-10-02, 09:11 PM
Swat
Necromancy
Level: Arcane 0; Components: V, S; Casting Time: One attack action; Area: 5ft. burst, centred on the caster; Duration: Instantaneous; Saving Throw: None; Spell Resistance: No

When the caster completes this spell, all vermin within the spell's area with less than 1/4HD instantly die.

Dhavaer
2006-10-03, 07:30 PM
Snuff
Transmutation
Level: Arcane 0; Components: V; Casting Time: One swift action; Range: Short; Target: one light source; Duration: Instantaneous; Saving Throw: None; Spell Resistance: No

With a word, the caster extinguishes one non-magical light source of up to large size. It can be turned on again as normal.

TheOOB
2006-10-03, 07:32 PM
Snuff
Transmutation
Level: Arcane 0; Components: V; Casting Time: One swift action; Range: Short; Target: one light source; Duration: Instantaneous; Saving Throw: None; Spell Resistance: No

With a word, the caster extinguishes one non-magical light source. It can be turned on again as normal.

It seems like there should be a limitation on the size of the light source. Using this spell to put out a giant signal fire seems a little powerful for a level 0 spell.

Dhavaer
2006-10-03, 07:44 PM
Fixed.

Dhavaer
2006-10-04, 10:04 PM
Lesser Nanny
Abjuration
Level: Arcane 0; Components: V, S, M; Casting Time: One full round; Range: Touch; Target: One crib/cradle; Duration: 10 minutes/level; Saving Throw: None; Spell Resistance: No

The caster enspells a cradle to protect it's occupant. Any infant resting within the affected object recieves a +2 resistance bonus to saves. The crib is also constantly reorganised to keep the baby safe and comfortable; blankets are arranged, toys kept away from the nose and mouth and the baby is gently turned while sleeping.

Material Components: A small statuette or symbol of protection, PDC 12.

SilveryCord
2006-10-04, 10:16 PM
Aww, Lesser Nanny is so C.U.T.E.

Would a Greater Nanny have the same effect as Summon Monster IX? :)

ishi
2006-10-04, 10:18 PM
Would a Greater Nanny have the same effect as Summon Monster IX? :)

Not sure I'd hire an Elder Fire Elemental babysitter.

Dhavaer
2006-10-04, 10:25 PM
Greater Nanny would probably be a combination of a Glyph of Warding, a Magic Circle against X and the Lesser Nanny spell. Probably Alarm, too.

Fax Celestis
2006-10-04, 10:28 PM
Greater Nanny would probably be a combination of a Glyph of Warding, a Magic Circle against X and the Lesser Nanny spell. Probably Alarm, too.
And a contingencied teleport to a safe location (like mom's arms).

TheUdjat
2006-10-05, 12:10 PM
I love seeing cantrips made to do what cantrips do best: Making life convenient. Awesome stuff. :)