PDA

View Full Version : Gates Theroy

Lerky
2009-01-27, 10:37 PM
This is just a quick theroy
WARNING! SoD SPOILERSERIOUSLY, IF YOU HAVE NOT READ SoD DON'T READ THIS, IT'S A GOOD BOOK THAT DOESN'T DESERVE SPOILINGye have been warned...NOW to the actual theroy:
as we know Soon's gate had a pretty easy manner of destruction, destroy the little orb thing (sapphire or whatever) on the king's throne and no gate, not control over the Snarl. Dorukan has a pretty obvious manner as well, touch the rune and kaboom. Now Lirian's is a bit more obscure, you'd think druid's grove would naturally be resitant to fire but it wasn't, and not to mention Redcloak even mentioned "If they had only disposed of dead leaves and bark it wouldn't have caught flame so fast". I'm willing to bet that Lirian knew this would happen, if someone set fire so close to the Gate that it couln't be stopped than the gate is in obvious threat and thus is easily destroyed with a simple spark that doesn't even have to magical. Anyone could've done it which just increases the possiblity. So anyway because of this my hypothesis is that the other gates have a way to be destroyed. Just a thought.

Finwe
2009-01-27, 11:37 PM
This is just a quick theroy
WARNING! SoD SPOILERSERIOUSLY, IF YOU HAVE NOT READ SoD DON'T READ THIS, IT'S A GOOD BOOK THAT DOESN'T DESERVE SPOILINGye have been warned...NOW to the actual theroy:
as we know Soon's gate had a pretty easy manner of destruction, destroy the little orb thing (sapphire or whatever) on the king's throne and no gate, not control over the Snarl. Dorukan has a pretty obvious manner as well, touch the rune and kaboom. Now Lirian's is a bit more obscure, you'd think druid's grove would naturally be resitant to fire but it wasn't, and not to mention Redcloak even mentioned "If they had only disposed of dead leaves and bark it wouldn't have caught flame so fast". I'm willing to bet that Lirian knew this would happen, if someone set fire so close to the Gate that it couln't be stopped than the gate is in obvious threat and thus is easily destroyed with a simple spark that doesn't even have to magical. Anyone could've done it which just increases the possiblity. So anyway because of this my hypothesis is that the other gates have a way to be destroyed. Just a thought.

It'sreallyannoyingwhenyouusemultiplespoilers.

Not to mention, completely unnecessary.

Optimystik
2009-01-28, 12:18 AM
Congratulations, you proved your point with an equally irritating and completely off-topic post.

ON topic,while I hope the other gates have both epic protections as well as disaster failsafes, I also hope they're as varied as we've seen so far. I want Kraagor's gate to feel like a barbarian designed it (even if he didn't, really) and the same with Girard's Gate making use of both his illusion and tracking skills. A maze certainly seems the most likely way to test both.

xyzzy
2009-01-28, 12:21 AM
The conditions of Lirian's gate's destruction has been mentioned in the comic... somewhere. Xykon yelling at Redcloak for causing it.

Actually, it would be interesting if

the Order of the Scribble has figured out some way to make the destruction of the gates advantageous to their goals, but haven't told anyone for some reason. Or, the only people who know aren't saying, and in fact it's necessary for the gates to be destroyed.

David Argall
2009-01-28, 12:51 AM
Whether there will be a deliberate way to destroy the other gates, the next gate clearly has to be destroyed. Otherwise, we don't have an excuse to rush to the final gate.

Roc Ness
2009-01-28, 05:22 AM
Not neccessarily, if the goodies captured the gate then the baddies run off to the final gate so then the goodies have to give chase, then they all arrive there anyway.

TheBST
2009-01-28, 05:28 AM
Since The Linear Guild have set off to capture a gate, I'm betting that Team Evil set off to capture the remaining one.

Unlike with Xykon, defeating the Linear Guild won't end the story there and then, so it's possible for the Order to actually secure one gate before heading off to save the final one and defeat Team Evil.

RMS Oceanic
2009-01-28, 05:29 AM
I've always found it interesting that the Gates were destroyed by their own defenses.

Lirian: Ripped apart by Trees called upon to protect it.
Dorukan: The self-destruct sigil was a defense of last resort.
Soon: Smashed by a Paladin sworn to guard it.

I wonder, if Girard's gate is slated for demolition, will it follow a similar irony, if this is an accurate definition of the word?

TheBST
2009-01-28, 05:33 AM
I wonder, if Girard's gate is slated for demolition, will it follow a similar irony, if this is an accurate definition of the word?

Girard was an illusionist, right?

What if the gate there is an illusion and the real one has already been destroyed?

OK, a stretch but good catch about the destruction of the other gates.