PDA

View Full Version : Negative Energy Burst (new spell)

wormwood
2006-10-05, 10:22 AM
I'm not entirely sure about the level of this one. It's pretty much a straight rip-off of fireball except for the negative energy damage bit. I added a level for the different energy type, since it also has the potential to heal undead but I'm now thinking that it might not be so useful since a Death Ward makes it null and void. So, what do you think?

I've seen similar spells somewhere but can't recall where. If you can point me to one, that might be a better option for me than researching a new one.

Negative Energy Burst
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 4, Clr 4
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft + 40 ft/caster level)
Effect: 20-ft radius burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex 1/2
Spell Resistance: Yes
A Negative Energy Burst spell is a burst of negative energy that expands silently over an area and deals 1d6 points of negative energy damage
per caster level (maximum 10d6) to every creature within the area.
You point your finger and determine the range (distance and height) at which the burst is to be centered. A dark, pea-sized bead streaks
from the pointing digit and, unless it impacts upon a material body or solid barrier prior to attaining the prescribed range,
blossoms into the negative energy burst at that point. (An early impact results in an early burst.) If you attempt to send the bead through a
narrow passage, such as through an arrow slit, you must hit the opening with a ranged touch attack, or else the bead strikes the barrier
and bursts prematurely.
The negative energy burst heals damage to undead in the area. It causes no damage to objects in the area.
Material Component: A tiny ball of bonemeal and blood.