PDA

View Full Version : Fun Date Ideas

Jewel Thief
2009-01-28, 02:18 AM
My boyfriend and I switch off with "date schematics," which means sometimes it's up to him to figure out what kinda shenanigans we'll be up to, and the other half of the time it's me who has to be clever (sooo not) and come up with a fun date.

But I've completely run out of ideas! I mean, all I can think of is going for a walk with chalk and making chalk pictures on the sidewalk? *sigh* I'm just not cool anymore.

Suggestions? No gross stuff!

Zakama
2009-01-28, 02:33 AM
Assuming it's warm enough, go kayaking, and in the middle of the lake, flip the kayaks. Commence swimming. (with or without life jackets) It's really fun, trust me.

Be sure to use open kayaks though, something akin to this: http://www.bournemouthcanoes.co.uk/productpages/malibu-kayaks/pictures/mini-x-blue-900.jpg It'd be hard to get water out of a closed kayak.

Occasional Sage
2009-01-28, 02:43 AM
My wife and I, our "first" "date" was a trip to the bookstore, two days before we were going out together for the first time. It was a great way to get to know each other without the pressure of being on a date.

Probably wouldn't work so well if you've been together a while, though.

Is there something he likes doing? If you can find an unusual activity centered around something he likes, he might well reciprocate; for instance if he likes to cook, sign the two of you up for a class led by a well-known local chef. There are loads of cool ways to work enthusiasms into dates and days, in ways people wouldn't normally think of.

xanaphia
2009-01-28, 03:53 AM
Pick a movie you know that both of you are going to hate, and then watch it. Enjoy complaining.

Play an unusual board game. I recommend Killer Bunnies.

Go to visit someone.

reorith
2009-01-28, 04:18 AM
russian roulette. nuff said.

or, go fishing in a pet store, and when the salesindividuals try to haul you away, pretend you don't speak english.

Demus
2009-01-28, 04:20 AM
I'm not very good at this, but maybe dinner at a nice restaurant?

Ashtar
2009-01-28, 04:24 AM
Rent a Cabin for an evening and go out for a fire cooked meal and snuggles in the Angeles national forest. Could be combined with taking a telescope for stargazing. Hopefully you could find someplace in the forest which doesn't suffer from light pollution.

I guess you've done everything there is to do at Raging Waters, if not it is the largest waterpark in CA. Although it's probably closed over winter.

Have you met Bert, the Camel, Reserve Deputy Sheriff?

It seems you can also rent Jet-ski on the Puddingstone Lake, even if the rental costs seem a bit steep ($90/h ??).

Depending on your age and your taste for wine, the Orange County Wine Society, is organizing "Small Wineries...Big Tasting" , a Sunday afternoon tasting wines on the 1st of March.

Otherwise, is there a bookshop café? Maybe one that does public reading.

Check with ImprovEverywhere if they need agents to do a mission in your area? You can find some of their stunts on youtube.

Is there an Alternative Goth/Techno/Other subculture market where small brands and designers sell their stuff (like Camden Lock Market in London?), then some windowshopping / trying out might be fun, especially if you go there without expecting to buy something. Just trying out subculture stuff. ("What would I look like as a ... goth? Tekgirl/boy? etc...")

Well, that's my five minutes worth of internet, back to work!

late for dinner
2009-01-28, 09:01 AM
Ashtar you crack me up....you just sounded like one of the "Come Visit California" Advertisements I see on tv. Now I want to visit Cali again.

Jewl Thief: get a script of something...not shakespear...then pick your parts, (probably multiple) and read them in different voices...sorry that might be lame

Go to the end of the runway at the airport...in a safe spot....and watch/feel the planes take off and land...that might be lame too...sorry

The guy sitting in the cubicle next to me said to plant a garden

ooooo I just thought of something...Go to an Opera. You have to dress up nice and it's really classy. Some good ones are Rigoleto and Tosca

Feed the homeless at a soup kitchen.

Go to a Lakers game...being a suns fan, I am not supposed to encourage this, but Lakers are a really good team this year and Jack Nicholson will be there.

Skydive

Whale Watching if you live near the ocean

Watch the Az Cardinals win the superbowl this sunday

Man I am fountain of Great-to-me ideas ahaha...well, hope something I said helped:smallbiggrin: OH AND ONE LAST ONE: Build a Treehouse...ha off the top of my head...I should write a book. Drive Safe

Flame of Anor
2009-01-28, 03:36 PM
Do all the things on the Fun At K-Mart list.

Moff Chumley
2009-01-28, 08:39 PM
Come up to NorCal. Everything is more fun here.

Grail
2009-01-28, 08:46 PM
What do you consider gross? :smallwink:

wadledo
2009-01-28, 08:55 PM
Do something recklessly stupid(such as climbing a water tower and dropping balloons filled with orange juice on people, or break into some public building and just enjoy wandering around a place where so many people work and sweat while they ain't there.
If you get caught, you can have the fun of trying to get your stories straight.
(Note: This only for either female protagonists or the significant others of protagonists.
If you get caught right away or you are not able to complete the plan, then you are not a protagonist and great harm could come to you if you try to complete any of these ideas anyway.)

TRM
2009-01-28, 09:29 PM
Go canoeing.

Ice skating.

Cross-country skiing.

Find someplace and dance. Alternatively, maybe there are one-shot dancing workshops where you live; or perhaps you already know how to dance—have a dancing extravaganza.

Go out for ice cream (not original, but always fun—unless you're vegan. Then it's immoral, but still fun).

Do absolutely everything on Ashtar's list.

Cook a good meal together; or bake bread, cookies, or a romantic cake.

That's all for now!

Jewel Thief
2009-01-29, 02:06 AM
you guys are awesome!

Alleine
2009-01-29, 02:14 AM
You could always become zombies and go eat someone's brains together.

Or devour the hearts of your enemies.

Or you could do something really dull, like go visit a somewhat secluded or at least not often visited beach(simply so that it isn't swarming with people) and see how many pieces of sea-glass you can each find.
Take the glass and find a way to put it into jewelry. Like a necklace, bracelet, or earrings.

I would go with the brain eating suggestion though. My personal favorite. It's so romantic *sigh/eye-fluttering*

phoenixineohp
2009-01-29, 05:32 AM
Go to a zoo.

Play card games.

Go to a magic show.

Go on a mini vacation. (Somewhere close by, but kinda new to you.)

Go to a national or provincial park. (And camera hunt for wildlife!)

Go for a bike ride.

Hmm... this list seems familiar somehow...

Go to an art gallery.

Have friends over for dinner / movie / games / sports.

Go to a fair, (amusement, Renaissance, craft or otherwise.)

Stay in and snuggle.

Give each other marker or henna tattoos.

Take a class together, like an art class or something that interests you.

Learn a new sport like badminton.

Go hot tubing.

Go sightseeing and get wonderfully lost.

Read a book together.

Go to a festival, like a annual Jazz fest. See what your town is hosting.

Volunteer somewhere together.

Make a scavenger hunt and let him follow it. (Also good for Easter.)

Go to the mall and people watch. See what the weirdest thing you over hear is.

Go to a goodwill store and shop for crazy stuff.

wadledo
2009-01-29, 06:34 AM
Oh, and you should try to burn the world. (http://www.xkcd.com/429/)

Boo
2009-01-29, 06:46 AM
>> Go skinny-dipping. What? Someone had to suggest it.

Go to a barber shop, and shave his head.

Go clubbing. Alternatively: Go club some baby seals.

Go to a musical [movie] and dance in front of it whenever there's a song.

Start a Rocky Horror Picture Show Theatre like back when it was really popular.

Go rock climbing/sky diving/bungee jumping.

Rent the services of a childrens party clown, and have him perform for you on your front lawn.

Go to a roller-disco.

Jalor
2009-01-29, 06:48 AM
Pick a movie you know that both of you are going to hate, and then watch it. Enjoy complaining.

Play an unusual board game. I recommend Killer Bunnies.

Go to visit someone.

I second this post. These are good.

SilverSheriff
2009-01-29, 07:05 AM
Go rock climbing/sky diving/bungee jumping.

go bungee-chuting off a cliff you've just climbed?
:wink:

Krytha
2009-01-29, 08:01 AM
I think its nice to go hiking in a nearby wooded area. bringing a picnic is optional, but recommended.

Grail
2009-01-29, 08:12 AM
Snorkeling
Shark-cage 'diving'
Tandem Sky diving
Bungee Jumping
Nude Twister
Paragliding
Tandem Hang gliding
Go to a <insert sport> match

Exeson
2009-01-29, 12:11 PM
I second Ashtar's idea of the whole subculture thing. I did that, (went to Camden) and it was an awesome day out, and I liked the stuff so much I have now turned Goth. :smallbiggrin:

late for dinner
2009-01-29, 06:23 PM
Shark-cage 'diving'

HAHAHA BEST IDEA YET :smallbiggrin:

Moff Chumley
2009-01-29, 08:56 PM
Airsoft rentals? Nothing says "I love you" like a bee-bee to the face. :smallbiggrin:

SilentNight
2009-01-29, 11:29 PM
Depending on where you live, you could try a bike ride. Either ride roads to a cafe-type thingy or take a picnic on a mountain ride. Some trails have pretty spectacular views.

Ashtar
2009-01-30, 05:36 AM
Jewel thief, we might be able to give you more ideas based on what you have available.

Ie. Money (what is the "date budget", 20$ - 100$)? Car? Passport? Time available for a date (1 hour, 5 hours, 1 day, week-end)?

Eg: Tijuana is 131 miles to the south of you and is an awesome place to go. But it takes time, transportation (greyhound / car) and money.

Bike tours, Rollerblading and other could be an idea, although it's probably best in spring/summer.

Minor rant : Now if only I could find someone over here (ie. Western Europe) who would want to do all these things I love to plan...

thubby
2009-01-30, 05:52 AM
go paintballing.
what better way to show you love one another than shooting each other?

it would help if we had a budget/idea of what you 2 like.

edit: demi sarnathed.

Felixaar
2009-01-30, 06:45 AM
russian roulette. nuff said.

I like it!

P.S. Don't actually do this.

Skip or dance in the street.

idemies
2009-01-30, 07:00 AM
Why don't you two go to LA Galaxy match?:smallsmile:

idemies
2009-01-30, 07:03 AM
Why don't you two go to LA Galaxy match?

I've had the best time of my life watching Finnish National Team in Olympiastadion, Helsinki.:smallsmile:

DigoDragon
2009-01-30, 07:55 AM
Back when my Wife and I were dating, one thin we liked to do is find Arcades to go to. Then we'd pick a game we're both bad at and enjoy. :smallsmile: We have many fond memories on the "Skeet Ball" and "Crusin world".

OverdrivePrime
2009-01-30, 09:56 AM
Bring a dessert picnic in a basket (dessert wine, yummy pastries) and head out somewhere in the mountains around dusk. Make sure you're a good distance from any light pollution. Toast each other and have a contest to see who can see the most shooting stars. Bring a couple good blankets and some pillows, then snuggle up and tell stories about the constellations.

Find out if there's a roller derby nearby. If so, go. You won't be sorry!

If the two of you like to cook, take a cooking class at a local cooking shop like Williams Sonoma or something. Then have fun in the kitchen.

Head out to a climbing gym and have fun getting sweaty and looking dumb together. Practice makes perfect, right? :smallsmile:

Telonius
2009-01-30, 11:19 AM
Assuming he likes (American) football, the answer is easy this weekend. Local sports bar/microbrewery/etc. and watch the Super Bowl! Find out which team he wants to win, wear some clothes with those colors, and have fun.

Dirk Kris
2009-01-30, 11:28 AM
Bowling. That way, no matter the weather, you'll be comfy. It's cheap, fun, and anything where there's friendly competition is fun. Plus you can people-watch!

TRM
2009-01-30, 05:48 PM
Bowling. That way, no matter the weather, you'll be comfy. It's cheap, fun, and anything where there's friendly competition is fun. Plus you can people-watch!
Minigolf too.

Tennis is great as well, but you can't really talk while playing.

Twister could be fun... :smallwink: Make it a double date and guarantee a full board.

And, if I can plug my sport, take up sculling. Row a double together. Spend long mornings trapped in a thin boat together getting in shape on a beautiful body of water.

Moff Chumley
2009-01-30, 07:14 PM
Ooh, ooh, air band competition!

TheThan
2009-01-30, 08:09 PM
Well since you’re in SoCal. You could take a trip to one of the various amusement parks.

Off the top of my head there are:

Six flags magic mountain
Nott’s Berry farm
Disneyland
Universal studios
Sea world

That’s five major them parks located in your general area. (some may be a drive though).
Alternately you could head to Pismo or some other beach. I know a lot of people that like to go off-roading in places like that. Or if that’s not your thing, head out to the desert and go camping for the day.

Really it depends on how much you wanna spend, and how much you wanna drive.

xanaphia
2009-01-31, 04:39 AM
More ideas:
Items marked with an asterisk I have done.

Go to a Freudian psychology lecture*
Go to a stationary shop
Visit the children's ward in a hospital-more fun than it sounds*
Go around a public place singing people songs*
Epic fail something publicly, like an open mike night*
Go to a local band's concert*
Bake biscuits, then give them to random people you see*
If you're religious, go evangelizing. Very fun.*
Make up a language together.
Write a song together*
Start a band together*
Have an improv rap-off*