PDA

View Full Version : Victorious Press Wants You

Lord Iames Osari
2009-01-28, 02:56 AM
Victorious Press, the game company founded by our very own Fax Celestis, is looking for more designers, developers, and artists to help us produce quality third-party gaming content. This is a perfect opportunity to get your work published, but we do expect a certain level of commitment and activity from those we accept; too many people have wandered in, done some work, and then vanished, leaving us uncertain how to continue.

We're still working with the 3.5 system at this point, but if we can get enough people with experience working with 4e, we want to introduce some 4e products as well.

The main projects we're currently working on are:
[hr]

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/LordIames/Miscellaneous/TheOuroborosMentality1.png

The Ouroboros Mentality is a 1-20 adventure path that makes heavy use of psionics. It will take you from a bustling city to a sinister plane ruled by dark passions, along a path strewn with powerful foes and pitiful victims, to a final confrontation with the four aspects of a dark god in the heart of the Library of Ouroboros.
[hr]

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/LordIames/Miscellaneous/VariantsHandbook.png

The Variants Handbook is a game supplement that aims to ameliorate some of the most egregious power imbalances of the standard 3.5 rules and give players and DMs alike some more options when it comes to making play interesting, fun, and dramatic.
[hr]

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/LordIames/Miscellaneous/TheTenThousandDays1.png

The Ten Thousand Days is a minicampaign for characters level 9+. Characters will explore an underwater temple, discover the secrets of a cursed ship and eventually battle its evil former captain. The adventure also includes as a bonus, three new base and prestige classes, several shiny new magical items and a lot of general purpose awesome.
[hr]
Of course, those are just the ones we're focusing on at the moment. There are several more projects waiting in the wings, and we're always on the lookout for new and interesting ideas from our designers!

Application procedures vary slightly depending on whether you're applying as an artist or a designer:

Designer ApplicationsGo to this site (http://pifro.com/dnd/NEW/nyu.php) and use it to generate a random set of statistics. There's no obligation to use the first set of stats it spits out at you, feel free to keep cycling until you get something you can work with. Also, the random name it gives you can be totally ignored.

Once you have a suitable skeleton of stats, you have to flesh them out, both mechanically and fluff-wise, to create an interesting and original creature. Creatures will be judged on formatting, punctuation, and spelling, but also on originality, mechanical balance, the quality of the fluff, and general aesthetics (read: coolness).

Please write up your monsters in a word processor and save them as .doc files, and include the name of your monster in the filename.

Artist/Illustrator ApplicationsWe're asking potential artists to submit 1 piece of art based on the descriptions below and a link to a gallery of their other art; if an artist lacks such a gallery, we ask for 2 pieces of art. If you have a portfolio, we will happily take a look at it, but we need to be able to judge your ability to take descriptions of things we've created and turn them into pictures, so we do insist that you produce a piece based on the below options.

Iconic CharactersThe following descriptions are for just a few of our new "iconic" characters.

1. Zak, male elf Monk; brown hair, green eyes; wears pale blues and off-whites; fights unarmed; air motif.

2. Tassen, female gnome Cleric; straw-colored hair, blue eyes; chainmail and shield; morningstar.

3. Rhaokhmar, male half-orc Sorcerer; bald, black eyes; tattooed; spear.
MonstersThe following are descriptions of some of the original monsters we have created.

1. The creature is vaguely reptilian, resembling somewhat a velociraptor in its build. Its forearms are powerfully muscled, and its hands viciously clawed. Its hind legs in vicious, razor-sharp talons that seem meant to cut something more then mere flesh and bone. The creature glares at you with hate-filled eyes, set in an alien, mouthless face, and tenses, readying itself to spring at you...

2. This once-beautiful woman, unkempt and clad in the rags of what might have been a fine dress, sits on her haunches, watching you with baleful, feral eyes. As you approach, she growls at you, showing her teeth, and her hands clench into fists...

3. A black figure hovers in the air upon the center of the deck. It bears the semblance of a man, its features twisted as one subjected to the cruelest of tortures. Black chains of shadow wrap its ghostly body, locking hand to foot to neck.
LocationsThe following location descriptions are currently used in draft versions of some of our upcoming material.

1. Half sunken into a dank and dismal swamp lies an ancient looking temple. The sea green and foam white tiled roof juts out above the surrounding water atop green walls that darken in hue as they descend, becoming nearly black before they are lost to sight below the level of murky water. The brine of the swamp seems to have kept insects to a minimum.

2. The city of Rihana’s Gate is located on an island in the middle of Crystal Lake, connected to the mainland by one bridge... much of the city is a blindingly beautiful metropolis, and is dominated by a great temple near its center.

3. A run-down, abandoned monastery, its once-pristine courtyard now overgrown with tall grass, bushes, and wildflowers.

Please digitize your artworks and save them as .png, .jpg, .gif, or .svg files.

Once you have your monsters and/or pictures ready, please email them, as attachments, to this address:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/LordIames/Miscellaneous/VPRecruitBanner.png ([email protected])

Due to our wish to avoid biting off more legal issues than we can chew, at this time we are only considering applications from citizens or permanent legal residents of the United States who are at least 18 years old.

Flickerdart
2009-01-28, 02:16 PM
Due to our wish to avoid biting off more legal issues than we can chew, at this time we are only considering applications from citizens of the United States who are at least 18 years old.
Damn you, fine print!

Dewey
2009-01-28, 02:19 PM
curse you legal issues!

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-01-28, 02:24 PM
While I might be able to help out on the Design side, I think that we might be able to help each other out in a much wider scale. Sending PM once I can get the website to stop fighting with me long enough to send it.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-01-28, 02:53 PM
Sorry about that fine print, guys. But until we get more established, we don't wanna get involved with the legal issues surrounding the employment of minors and foreign citizens.

Edit: I suppose that legal permanent residents of the United States are fine, too.

Another_Poet
2009-01-28, 03:12 PM
Hi Lord Iames, I might very well be sending an application your way. I do have some questions if you don't mind. In no particular order:

-Is the creature design application the only/main step in applying, or should applicants expect subsequent rounds of review/interviews?

-In submitting a design application, does it matter which Victorious Press project(s) the applicant is interested in? Are you accepting applications for new projects, or strictly those mentioned in the post above?

-How (if at all) does Victorious pay its designers? Or is all work done on spec?

Thanks for posting this here, and for any answers you may be able to provide.

another_poet

Lord Iames Osari
2009-01-28, 03:38 PM
Hi Lord Iames, I might very well be sending an application your way. I do have some questions if you don't mind. In no particular order:

-Is the creature design application the only/main step in applying, or should applicants expect subsequent rounds of review/interviews?

Creature design is the main step, intended to give us a good feel for an applicant's ability to create both fluff and crunch, which is the main role of being a designer.

-In submitting a design application, does it matter which Victorious Press project(s) the applicant is interested in? Are you accepting applications for new projects, or strictly those mentioned in the post above?

It doesn't matter for the application process; if an applicant is accepted, it then begins to matter. At the moment, we are trying to focus our efforts on the projects listed, so we ask that prospective applicants keep that in mind. Naturally, once those projects are completed and released, we will be looking for new projects to produce, so while we encourage those who have ideas for future products to apply, we also ask that you be prepared to put those ideas aside for the short term, or find a way to incorporate them into what we're already working on.

-How (if at all) does Victorious pay its designers? Or is all work done on spec?

I'm not sufficiently versed in the nitty-gritty details (not my department), but designers (and artists) get paid a certain percentage based on the sales of projects they worked on.

Thanks for posting this here, and for any answers you may be able to provide.

another_poet

No problem.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-01-28, 04:24 PM
Definitely interested, and I'm in the process of seeing just what that generator can accomplish...seems it likes Colossal creatures with low Hit Die.

Anyway, one important question:

If we submit a creation and get accepted, who retains the rights to the creation? Does the designer retain any or all of his or her intellectual property, or does it become the dominion of Victorious Press? It's not a huge issue for me, but I am curious.

-The Djinn

MammonAzrael
2009-01-28, 04:35 PM
I am very interested as well, and will send off an application ASAP.

Adding in more questions, it sounds like all the work will be done online (presumably on the VP boards). Or are you looking for something on-site?

Will d20R be touched upon at all, or is that a private project of Faxes'?

Definitely interested, and I'm in the process of seeing just what that generator can accomplish...seems it likes Colossal creatures with low Hit Die.

No, no. It likes tiny Dragons with 40 Dex. :smalltongue:

Lord Iames Osari
2009-01-28, 05:08 PM
If we submit a creation and get accepted, who retains the rights to the creation? Does the designer retain any or all of his or her intellectual property, or does it become the dominion of Victorious Press? It's not a huge issue for me, but I am curious.

-The Djinn

For now, everything belongs to its respective creators. Once VP becomes a corporation, that will change for the designers in VP's employ, but I don't know about creations by people who applied but were rejected.

I am very interested as well, and will send off an application ASAP.

Adding in more questions, it sounds like all the work will be done online (presumably on the VP boards). Or are you looking for something on-site?

The work will be taking place at the Victorious Press boards.

Regarding d20r, I regret that Fax Celestis, though admittedly a brilliant homebrewer, found the daily grind of the company not to his liking and has since left. We have an informal agreement with him that we might publish some of his work in the future, but so far there are no concrete plans to do so.

Renegade Paladin
2009-01-28, 05:16 PM
The random generator is screwy; it gave me a plant with the archon subtype. :smallamused:

Starbuck_II
2009-01-28, 05:20 PM
Gave me a 24 HD Animal (I know the Roc is a animal so high HD animal is'nt unusual besides Dire but still wow).

I'm not much a designer: I write comedy scripts sometimes, but not sure if I could work as one (never been much for grammar).

But hope you guys find someone, good luck.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-01-28, 05:23 PM
The random generator is screwy random; it gave me a plant with the archon subtype. :smallamused:

I fixed your typo. :smallamused:

Renegade Paladin
2009-01-28, 05:33 PM
It could still have some sort of parameters besides "jumble all these together." :smalltongue:

Oh, and question: I registered on the Victorious Press board. That lasted about two minutes; my registration is now deleted. Before I waste time trying again, what gives?

Lord Iames Osari
2009-01-28, 06:02 PM
It could still have some sort of parameters besides "jumble all these together." :smalltongue:

Oh, and question: I registered on the Victorious Press board. That lasted about two minutes; my registration is now deleted. Before I waste time trying again, what gives?

Well, why couldn't there be a plant archon? :smalltongue:

It still shows you on the member list, and I've tested out your user permissions. You should be able to log in and browse all the areas open to the public.

Also, a question I got via PM, and the answer:

Lord Iames Osari,

I have a question regarding the monster entries. Are we required to use the "skeleton" technique you presented by using the Monster Generator, or can we submit a monster created in another fashion?

If the latter, is it possible to use a monster that I've already created?

Thank you for your time,
Lappy9000
While we'll happily look at some of your earlier works, we do insist that you flesh out a skeleton creature as described. We need to see the quality of work you can produce "on demand," as opposed to what you can do with basically unlimited time to modify and tweak a creation. You might be asked to take someone else's concept and turn it into a stat block, for example, or to finish something that was begun by somebody who's left or is unavailable for some other reason.

Zeful
2009-01-28, 06:10 PM
Question about the creature generator: If it produces a creature with the same subtype twice, (say native) can we remove the redundant subtype or is the resultant creature native to two separate planes?

Lord Iames Osari
2009-01-28, 06:17 PM
Yeah, go ahead and remove the redundant subtype.

Renegade Paladin
2009-01-28, 06:25 PM
That's because I talked to Reina and then registered again. My registration was gone with no log of it in the admin panel; it's very odd.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-01-28, 06:33 PM
Well, I just hit random monster a couple of times when it gave me silly stats (such as a Tiny Dragon with 42 HD, or a Colossal Monsterous Humanoid with 16 HD) and found something I could really work with. Typed up my entry and sent it out in... oh... I'd probably say an hour or so.

Overlord Nicy
2009-01-28, 06:52 PM
Random Monster threw me a Diminutive Giant. Yeah.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-01-28, 07:22 PM
That's because I talked to Reina and then registered again. My registration was gone with no log of it in the admin panel; it's very odd.

That is very odd. I'm glad Reina was able to fix it. :smallsmile:

Shneekey (and anyone else who's already submitted an application), it's going to take a while. I'm not solely in charge of the admission process; at the outside, it could take until next Tuesday.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-01-28, 07:29 PM
Guys, I think you're missing the point about the random monster generator:

The trick isn't to take the first set of stats, no matter how unplayable, and make it work. The trick is to use it a few times until you come up with a decent set of stats that you can work with.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-01-28, 07:35 PM
I even outright stated it in the OP.

Renegade Paladin
2009-01-28, 07:42 PM
(such as a Tiny Dragon with 42 HD
Plutonium dragon! :smallbiggrin:

Fax Celestis
2009-01-28, 08:16 PM

As far as d20r goes, that's a private project of mine. VP and I at this point in time have no official relation. When d20r nears completion, however, I may approach VP to playtest, publish, or produce material for d20r. In the meantime, d20r is freely usable and adding material (as you have been doing) is much appreciated. Some people have even approached me about adding their own material or performing their own rewrites (Thinker, in particular, took over the Druid class), and so far it's been incredibly helpful.

ObsidianRose
2009-01-29, 12:19 AM
If admission is still open, then cool. I emailed in my application.

This looks promising. Fax, you've always been my homebrew idol, and I really love d20r. The modularity isn't really something I'd be able to help out with, but I'm looking forward to playing one of your dreadnoughts.

This VP thing looks good. Hope it turns out well for everyone involved.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-01-29, 12:56 AM
I have an announcement to make. Due to technical problems, the VP forums had to be rolled back to a date earlier than this announcement. All those who registered at the forums after seeing this thread will have to re-register.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Kol Korran
2009-01-29, 12:45 PM
too bad you can't use foreigners (myself being from Israel) i've written some campaign stuff that i would like to see published...

anyway, in my sig there is a link to another thread, in which i expanded on some of the 3.5 monsters. i know it's realy far from what you're looking for, but feel free to explore and take what you need. i don't mind.

good luck with your endevours, the psionics campaign sounds intriguing.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-01-29, 03:31 PM
I have an announcement to make. Due to technical problems, the VP forums had to be rolled back to a date earlier than this announcement. All those who registered at the forums after seeing this thread will have to re-register.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

There's a problem with the Captcha. Specifically, it doesn't show up, so you can't type it in to confirm you're not a bot.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-01-29, 03:48 PM
I'll let Reina know. :smallsigh: It's just problems, problems, problems.

Also, I had someone ask me another question via PM:

Is there a one submission per person limit on the Victorious Press submissions? The announcement post uses the plural several times, so it could be interpreted either way.

Well, you could send in two applications - one as a designer and one as an artist, and there's nothing stopping you from applying again if you've already been rejected, or from sending in multiple submissions. Keep in mind, though, that reapplying after you've been rejected once, or spamming us with applications, is not likely to help your chances of getting in.

Zeful
2009-01-29, 04:04 PM
What will happen to accepted submissions, will they be released in some fashion eventually, or are you going to sit on them?

Lord Iames Osari
2009-01-29, 05:06 PM
There are currently no plans to release accepted submissions.

Another_Poet
2009-01-30, 12:07 AM
Well I'm happy to report that I've now sent in my application. I'll do my best to wait patiently :)

If you have any questions just email me.

ap

Lord Iames Osari
2009-01-31, 03:10 PM
Veni, vidi, offensi ligamentem

Bumping to keep it on the first page. We've received 5 submissions so far, I hope to see more. :smallsmile:

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-01, 04:41 PM

Bumping to keep it on the first page. We've received 5 submissions so far, I hope to see more. :smallsmile:

Aaaaaand again.

This isn't just open to people here on GitP. If you know people outside the forums who might be interested, please encourage them to make a submission. We're especially in need of artists; that's our biggest production bottleneck at the moment, and so far we've had no art submissions.

afroakuma
2009-02-01, 04:42 PM
If you ever expand it to include Canada, let me know.

Lappy9000
2009-02-01, 04:52 PM
Aaaaaand again.

This isn't just open to people here on GitP. If you know people outside the forums who might be interested, please encourage them to make a submission. We're especially in need of artists; that's our biggest production bottleneck at the moment, and so far we've had no art submissions.I'm sending this link to some of the artists I know. Lots of folks would like a chance to get their art published.

Another_Poet
2009-02-04, 12:43 PM
Hi Lord Iames,

I just wanted to check in and ask how the application review process is going. I know you said it may take some time and I certainly don't want to rush you; just curious if you have a new estimate for when applicants might receive an answer.

Thanks,
ap

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-04, 05:04 PM
We discussed the applications at last night's meeting. The upshot of what we decided is that by Thursday we'll have picked the most promising applications from the current batch, and will then do our best to arrange interviews to finalize things.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-02-04, 11:42 PM
We discussed the applications at last night's meeting. The upshot of what we decided is that by Thursday we'll have picked the most promising applications from the current batch, and will then do our best to arrange interviews to finalize things.

*Crosses Fingers*

Kurald Galain
2009-02-05, 05:00 AM

Weeelllll... some of us don't live in the US. I'm just saying :smalltongue:

It doesn't seem to bother Pathfinder, legally speaking.

Risek
2009-02-05, 07:01 AM
I've made my application already, but I've got to wait two more weeks (I turn eighteen).
Damn you not-so fine print.
Ah well, that'll give me time to fine-tune it..

Dyllan
2009-02-05, 08:55 AM
How'd I miss this thread?

Is it too late to apply as a designer? I'm gonna go have a swing at it either way. Sounds like a fun challenge.

But, let me know if there's a point in still submitting my work.

Another_Poet
2009-02-05, 10:49 AM
I've made my application already, but I've got to wait two more weeks (I turn eighteen).

Obviously this requires an answer from Lord Iames, not just me, but I would venture that you should go ahead and apply anyway. After all, by the time the interviews are over you'll be 18. Then you can sign any paperwork they need, work w/o a work permit, etc.

Of course I realize I'm making more competition for myself but still :)

Lappy9000
2009-02-05, 11:00 AM
Obviously this requires an answer from Lord Iames, not just me, but I would venture that you should go ahead and apply anyway. After all, by the time the interviews are over you'll be 18. Then you can sign any paperwork they need, work w/o a work permit, etc.

Of coruse I realize I'm making more competition for myself but still :)Well, the more the merrier, I say! More people means more chance for talent, which means better things for Victorious Press :smallcool:

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-05, 01:13 PM
Weeelllll... some of us don't live in the US. I'm just saying :smalltongue:

It doesn't seem to bother Pathfinder, legally speaking.

Pathfinder is run by Paizo, who are an established company. If they don't actually have lawyers on staff, they most certainly have the resources to pay lawyers to answer whatever legal questions they might need answered.

Victorious Press has neither of those things, and although I'm told that there are no legal obstacles to hiring foreign citizens for freelance work, the fact that VP occupies a gray area between regular employment and freelancing (as I understand it, IANAL) is enough to give me pause.

Go ahead and make your submission, but tell us in your email when your birthday is.

How'd I miss this thread?

Is it too late to apply as a designer? I'm gonna go have a swing at it either way. Sounds like a fun challenge.

But, let me know if there's a point in still submitting my work.

Recruitment is still ongoing, and we'd welcome a submission from you.

Draz74
2009-02-05, 02:06 PM
My brother is a good fantasy artist. I told him all about this, but he hasn't responded, so I don't know whether you'll hear from him -- probably not by today, at least!

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-05, 11:08 PM
Well, the first six designer applications have been reviewed, and emails have been sent to the applicants. To those of you who made it to the next step, I offer my congratulations. To those who didn't, my apologies.

Icewalker
2009-02-06, 01:30 AM
Well, I would very VERY want to do this. Like, seriously working. However, if you aren't accepting minors as jobs right now, nothing I can do.

Just one question: though you aren't accepting minors as actual applicants at the moment, how about a donation of material with no need for compensation or any such thing? It'd need some legal clarification, but I really wanted to submit my campaign once I've finished with it.

As a side note, I will be approaching the age of 18 by the time I fully finish the write up, so it may be the case that I can just wait until then and submit it in about 13 months.

I'm writing it up in EXTENSIVE detail, to be usable as a premade campaign by others. I estimate the 9 adventures that take the party through levels 10-14 or so will total about 200 pages taking fluff, DM instructions, maps, and stat blocks.

One other question in the context of the campaign, actually: if you would like to use or consider it for use, would you prefer if I didn't post the finished write up on the forums here?

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-06, 01:42 AM
That would be preferable to us, yes. We can't stop you from posting it, nor would we want to, but once the time comes to have it published we would ask that you remove the content from the boards, either by editing it out of the posts, or asking a mod to delete the thread altogether.

Edit: I see your quote of the week, and raise you a poem by Kipling:

There were thirty million English who talked of England's might,
There were twenty broken troopers who lacked a bed for the night.
They had neither food nor money, they had neither service nor trade;
They were only shiftless soldiers, the last of the Light Brigade.

They felt that life was fleeting; they knew not that art was long,
That though they were dying of famine, they lived in deathless song.
They asked for a little money to keep the wolf from the door;
And the thirty million English sent twenty pounds and four!

They laid their heads together that were scarred and lined and grey;
Keen were the Russian sabres, but want was keener than they;
And an old Troop-Sergeant muttered, "Let us go to the man who writes
The things on Balaclava the kiddies at school recites."

They went without bands or colours, a regiment ten-file strong,
To look for the Master-singer who had crowned them all in his song;
And, waiting his servant's order, by the garden gate they stayed,
A desolate little cluster, the last of the Light Brigade.

They strove to stand to attention, to straighten the toil-bowed back;
They drilled on an empty stomach, the loose-knit files fell slack;
With stooping of weary shoulders, in garments tattered and frayed,
They shambled into his presence, the last of the Light Brigade.

The old Troop-Sergeant was spokesman, and "Beggin' your pardon," he said,
"You wrote o' the Light Brigade, sir. Here's all that isn't dead.
An' it's all come true what you wrote, sir, regardin' the mouth of hell;
For we're all of us nigh to the workhouse, an, we thought we'd call an' tell.

"No, thank you, we don't want food, sir; but couldn't you take an' write
A sort of 'to be continued' and 'see next page' o' the fight?
We think that someone has blundered, an' couldn't you tell 'em how?
You wrote we were heroes once, sir. Please, write we are starving now."

The poor little army departed, limping and lean and forlorn.
And the heart of the Master-singer grew hot with "the scorn of scorn."
And he wrote for them wonderful verses that swept the land like flame,
Till the fatted souls of the English were scourged with the thing called Shame.

O thirty million English that babble of England's might,
Behold there are twenty heroes who lack their food to-night;
Our children's children are lisping to "honour the charge they made-"
And we leave to the streets and the workhouse the charge of the Light Brigade!

Icewalker
2009-02-06, 01:48 AM
Awesome.

One thing, which I'm not sure but may be a legal issue with WotC: it draws from some material in Sandstorm, as it is a desert campaign.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-06, 01:53 AM
Ah. Yes. That is a problem, since none of the material in Sandstorm is Open Gaming Content.

In fact, as far as I am aware, it is an insurmountable problem.

PhoeKun
2009-02-06, 02:12 AM
Ah. Yes. That is a problem, since none of the material in Sandstorm is Open Gaming Content.

In fact, as far as I am aware, it is an insurmountable problem.

No, not insurmountable. Well, using Sandstorm would be, but it's hardly an issue to find some rough OGL equivalents, or to craft something in the same spirit. It's workable, it just requires extra effort.

But, before we get too carried away with this, I would much prefer to ask how far away Icewalker is from shedding "minor" status. We can't sign a contract with a minor, and I am in no way comfortable taking someone's intellectual property and selling it without compensation and without a legitimate guarantee no legal action will be taken down the road.

If you need a venue for publication, we'll look into working something out, but not in the way that is currently being discussed.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-06, 02:36 AM
As a side note, I will be approaching the age of 18 by the time I fully finish the write up, so it may be the case that I can just wait until then and submit it in about 13 months.

Does that answer your question, Phoe? :smalltongue:

PhoeKun
2009-02-06, 02:45 AM
Satisfies me perfectly. I'm the Voice of Caution, not the Voice of Reading Comprehension. :smalltongue:

edit: Just know I'm not ok with moving too far forward with this until after the magic date has passed.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-02-06, 12:16 PM
Satisfies me perfectly. I'm the Voice of Caution, not the Voice of Reading Comprehension. :smalltongue:

edit: Just know I'm not ok with moving too far forward with this until after the magic date has passed.

My most sincere suggestion to you:

1) Erase any and all mention of any copyrighted materials, most specifically those referring to Sandstorm. Do this *NOW*. If it breaks your module, then you wouldn't have been able to get it published anyways. Better know now than latter, eh?

2) For those things you wished to use Sandstorm for, examine your motivations carefully. Why, exactly, did you use Sandstorm? Because it was easy and there? Because it exactly suited your needs?

The reason why I suggest this: It is entirely possible you were simply using it as a 'crutch', so you don't have to make something up. However, there is nothing saying you cannot create your own desert setting, complete with PrC's and spell lists. It just... takes a bit more effort.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-06, 03:18 PM
Shneekey, while that's good advice, wouldn't it be better directed toward the person who actually needs it (Icewalker)?

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-02-06, 05:19 PM
Shneekey, while that's good advice, wouldn't it be better directed toward the person who actually needs it (Icewalker)?

D'oh! Yes... yes it would.

Icewalker
2009-02-06, 07:06 PM
Yeah, it'll be 13 months, and it will likely be more than half that time until I'm fully done fleshing it out.

A note: I wasn't writing it with the intent to get it published, just to run it as a campaign, and post it on the forums.

Basically, it draws one or two creatures and abilities per chapter from Sandstorm, easily replaceable. It also basically says 'use the heat mechanics' at a few points to certain specifics. Are those not OGL either?

Mainly, it uses the Marruspawn. However, with the recasting of a few major characters (Marruspawn, Crawling Apocalypse), and the creation of a new 'ancient dead race' set in the desert, it would still work. I took a lot of liberties with the Marru backstory as it is, so it would come out pretty different from what WotC has.

Is Tome of Battle unusable also? That'd just require a bit of restatting of enemies.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-06, 07:16 PM
ToB isn't OGC either. Basically, if you can't find it on d20 SRD.org (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm), we can't use it.

KeresM
2009-02-06, 07:20 PM
Well, the first six designer applications have been reviewed, and emails have been sent to the applicants. To those of you who made it to the next step, I offer my congratulations. To those who didn't, my apologies.

I sent in an application, but have not received an email response. Should I assume my application has gone astray and try sending from a different email address? I used my hotmail one.

Otherwise the link in my signature is to a sample of my work.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-06, 08:08 PM
When did you send your application?

Icewalker
2009-02-06, 08:21 PM
Well, I use a few other sources, but it doesn't rely hugely on any. Reworking the fluff around the Marruspawn into a new race, and changing a number of spells and abilities will be all it takes.

I plan to run the non-OGL version as a pbp and a live game with some friends, then I'll rework it to make a tweaked OGL version for you, if you'd like it.

mikeejimbo
2009-02-06, 09:13 PM
Do you guys think you'll ever take freelance work? I sometimes think I'd eventually like to attach myself to an RPG publishing company, but for now freelancing is how I roll.

Edit: Also, you only need designers for creatures?

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-06, 09:41 PM
We're open to publishing for freelancers, but we want to publish our own work first.

And no, we don't need designers just for creatures. It's just that creatures are the easiest thing to look at from a variety of angles: fluff, balance, math, all that jazz.

Dyllan
2009-02-06, 10:10 PM
I sent my application in last night. I just assume it'll take a few days before I hear anything back.

If you want to verify that you received it, my creature's name was Senchal.

MammonAzrael
2009-02-06, 10:20 PM
Finally got it sent in. I nearly lost it due to a virus. :smalleek:

For verification, the creature's name is Onnakunde.

JackMage666
2009-02-06, 10:20 PM
I submitted a 23 HD small Animal (Evil, Swarm) monster named Tainted Puppy Pack.

...That's right, I went there.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-06, 10:49 PM
For future applicants: Please include the name of your monster in the filename. It gets confusing trying to keep track of which "resume.doc" and "VP_Application.doc" belongs to which applicant.

Dyllan
2009-02-06, 10:54 PM
For future applicants: Please include the name of your monster in the filename. It gets confusing trying to keep track of which "resume.doc" and "VP_Application.doc" belongs to which applicant.

Do I get extra brownie points since I named mine Senchal.doc?

PhoeKun
2009-02-07, 12:52 AM
Do I get extra brownie points since I named mine Senchal.doc?

No. You just avoid the whipping. This time...

KeresM
2009-02-07, 10:13 AM
When did you send your application?

Wednesday, I believe. The creature was an Espriz.

PhoeKun
2009-02-07, 12:52 PM
Wednesday, I believe. The creature was an Espriz.

Your application was received, and is currently under review. The submission is considered part of our second "batch" of applicants, and you should be hearing from us as soon as we have had time to adequately discuss and consider yours and the other new applicants.

I can't give a hard date, but you should likely be hearing a response sometime next week.

KeresM
2009-02-07, 07:16 PM
Cool. Just wanted to be sure it was received. Hotmail and spam filters do not always get along.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-11, 02:21 PM
We conducted interviews last night for the first batch of applicants.

Applicants in the second batch should be hearing from us by Thursday evening, and interviews for them will be held on the 17th, again at 10pm Eastern.

Dyllan
2009-02-12, 09:10 PM
We conducted interviews last night for the first batch of applicants.

Applicants in the second batch should be hearing from us by Thursday evening, and interviews for them will be held on the 17th, again at 10pm Eastern.

It's Thursday, 9:11 PM EST. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't somehow overlooked in the applications, as I haven't heard anything yet.

If there's been a delay, no problem. I'm just eager to hear if I make the cut (and to hear what you think of my submission, either way).

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-12, 10:51 PM
Heh, actually, I just got busy typing up an adventure and totally forgot to send out the emails. :smallredface:

MammonAzrael
2009-02-12, 11:01 PM
Heh, actually, I just got busy typing up an adventure and totally forgot to send out the emails. :smallredface:

Ahh, I was starting to wonder about that myself. :smallsmile:

I look forward to the email. If you had any question, please don't hesitate to ask.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-12, 11:16 PM
The emails have all been sent by now. There was a minor technical difficulty with the email system, so some people may have received duplicated. If anyone has not received an email, let me know.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-17, 03:39 PM

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-24, 02:44 AM
An announcement from Reina, creator of the random monster generator used in the Designer Application process:

My monster generator has changed a little bit.
It refuses to combine incompatible subtypes now (Evil, Good) (Chaotic, Lawful) (Native, Extraplanar).
And I use an amusing name generator. I would recommend noting somewhere that the names generated by this will usually make no sense and they can be simply ignored.

Blackfang108
2009-02-24, 11:41 AM
The names ARE funny...

I'm playing with this now.

I think I'm having too much fun thinking of things regarding the Colosal Undead Swarm it gave me.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-03-27, 09:43 PM
Veni, vidi, offensi ligamentem.

Who_Da_Halfling
2009-04-01, 07:09 PM
In my ongoing job search, I'm exploring as many opportunities as possible. I'd just like to know if applications are still being accepted, and if I should send one.

Thanks to VP for this chance. Working on RPG material sounds like a blast!

-JM

Lord Iames Osari
2009-04-01, 08:48 PM
Yes, go ahead and send in an application.

VirOath
2009-04-03, 09:51 AM
Dang, too bad you guys aren't taking outside of the US. I'm a Canuck, and I love coming up with just flat out quirky and unique things for RPGs and stories.

When the company is willing to sponsor people for the work portion of the US citizenship for permanent residence, let us know!