PDA

View Full Version : The best spell to wand?

Adumbration
2009-01-28, 10:05 AM
In a campaign - Red Hand of Doom, to be precise - we've gotten some loot, and after selling it, we have approximately 1 500 gps each. Now, my character is a Warlock with UMD modifier of +11, so I was wondering what 1st level spells would be good to have as a wand.

Any ideas? I already have a wand of Lesser Vigor, and becouse of Eldritch Spear and good Dex it's a bit pointless to get Magic Missile as wand. Nearly any book allowed, Spell Compedium included.

Zherog
2009-01-28, 10:35 AM
I've always been a fan of cure light wounds in a wand. It's far cheaper, for example, than buying potions. It also allows the cleric to use his spells for better things.

On a more general note: spells that don't require saving throws are the best bet for wands, because the DC of a wand is so pathetically small.

Crazy Scot
2009-01-28, 10:43 AM
I would agree with a healing stick to back up the heal-bot (especially in case they go down). Other than that, it would depend upon the make-up of the rest of the group. What kinds of characters the group is composed of. But more importantly, is there one type of character that is NOT represented in the group. If so, take a look at their spell list and see if any spells jump out that aren't on someone else's spell list. But with the information you have given, it will be hard to come up with any great specific suggestions.

Adumbration
2009-01-28, 10:46 AM
I already have a healing stick - see the wand of Lesser Vigor. Heals 11 hp in as many rounds. Good for out-of-combat healing.

Are there any good level 1 utility spells out there? I was looking at SpC's bard spell list, and Swift Invisibility stuck out. Would that be good?

Starbuck_II
2009-01-28, 10:51 AM
In a campaign - Red Hand of Doom, to be precise - we've gotten some loot, and after selling it, we have approximately 1 500 gps each. Now, my character is a Warlock with UMD modifier of +11, so I was wondering what 1st level spells would be good to have as a wand.

Any ideas? I already have a wand of Lesser Vigor, and becouse of Eldritch Spear and good Dex it's a bit pointless to get Magic Missile as wand. Nearly any book allowed, Spell Compedium included.

Curse of Impending Blades: No save, enemy has -2 AC for duration (or until cured by remove curse) which happens first.

Useful for tough to hit enemies/enemies with good touch AC.

Keld Denar
2009-01-28, 10:54 AM
Ray of Enfeeblement is pretty good. Its only 1d6+1 at level one, but thats still pretty decent when most of the things you fight DON'T have 25 starting str.

A lot of people will say Grease, but I really don't like it. Greases is only rounds/level, so at CL1, its only a single round. That means you are using it every round, which can get kinda expensive. If you could get one at CL3 or so, that would be a lot better. Course, that would cost you 3x what a CL1 would cost you, but you are still paying 25g per round, so that works out even.

Benign Transposition is an amazing 1st level spell. It allows you to swap your charger and your melee character to allow the charger to charge again, and the melee to get into full attack range without having to move. Its all kinds of tactical useful, and is not save/CL dependant at all.

Greg
2009-01-28, 11:08 AM
Ray of Enfeeblement is pretty good. Its only 1d6+1 at level one, but thats still pretty decent when most of the things you fight DON'T have 25 starting str.
Likewise with ray of clumsiness, which does the same for DEX. Particularly handy for dealing with hard hitters, which may have a low DEX.

Draz74
2009-01-28, 12:41 PM
Benign Transposition is indeed an excellent option.

Protection from Evil, if your party doesn't already have it from some source.

Snake's Swiftness. If you're not sure what to do with your standard action, let your hardest-hitting party member have an extra one instead.

Resurgence. Useful almost anytime someone failed a save.

Enlarge Person, if your party tank doesn't already have a good way to do that.

As for Swift Invisibility, I'd say it's only worthwhile if you have a reliable way to have your want ready as a swift or free action. If you have to pull the wand out as a move action before using it, that kind of defeats the purpose of the "swift" thing. Look into Wand Chambers from Dungeonscape. If you can use one of those and always have the wand ready, Swift Invisibility is a decent option.

Fax Celestis
2009-01-28, 01:06 PM
I've always been fond of armor lock. Sure, it only works on armored opponents, but they lose Dex to AC (making them sneak attackable) and lowers their speed to 10'.

Darth Stabber
2009-01-28, 02:59 PM
Create Food and Water - the lunch stick Feeds 15 medium characters for 50 days

Remove Curse
Remove Disease
Identify
Shield
Cure Light Wounds - 1d8 +1 is better than 11 rounds of fast healing in many scenarios.
invisibility 3 minutes per charge.

only1doug
2009-01-28, 03:18 PM
Power word pain (races of the dragon)

great mid to late fight spell, 1d6 damage / round (duration variable by remaining hitpoints). No save.

Create Trap
creates a CR1 trap

AslanCross
2009-01-28, 05:51 PM
I'm in favor of invisibility, and probably fireball. Rocket Launcher Stick FTW.

Glyde
2009-01-28, 06:34 PM
I'm a fan of Icelance

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-01-28, 06:38 PM
You need a wand that can do something that you, as a Warlock cannot already do.

Grease.

Reflex save, Balance checks, all kinds of useful applications. Best part is, a lot of the applications don't allow a save, and none of them allow SR. It makes it one of the best 1st level spells to Wand.

kme
2009-01-28, 07:44 PM
If you can get it, enervation can be nasty.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-01-28, 07:59 PM
If you can get it, enervation can be nasty.
Enervation is a 4th level spell. He specified 1st level.

Toliudar
2009-01-28, 08:09 PM
For out of combat flavour, Endure Elements and Prestidigitation are actually excellent long-duration utility spells. But maybe that's from working with vain arcane casters who didn't always like to be bundled up. :smallamused:

ericgrau
2009-01-28, 08:36 PM
I'd stick with your wand of lesser vigor. I can't think of any other spell that's worth wanding. Save DCs and durations are too low. Grease only lasts 1 round, for example. Probably none are worth the combat round they take to cast. Utility spells should be done with scrolls, since you don't need that many. Higher level wands like fireball are too expensive. That pretty much leaves between combat buffs or heals. Mage armor might be alright, though you only get 1 hour per charge. Still, it might mitigate a lot more damage than the cure spell heals if the target gets attacked during that time. If you can find a use for casting a utility spell a dozen times, it might be worth wanding. Like a stampede of mounts or a dozen unseen servants or several silent images for some obscure plan.

Hypertext
2009-01-28, 08:53 PM
Wand of Mount for sure. It is the most versatile spell in DnD. Here is why...

1. You can ride a mount, so that's good.
2. Food source in a pinch, beggars can't be choosers.
3. Perfect for blocking doorways or other small areas. This works exceptionally well in dungeons or similar structures.
4. Perfect for traps. A horse can not only set off traps that you think could be somewhere in your path but will also prevent an ambush on your party. Not to say the horse won't get ambushed... but it's magic so that's ok right?
5. Profit.

:smallwink:

Starscream
2009-01-28, 09:59 PM
I've found that Reduce Person is a surprisingly handy spell when out of combat. Useful whenever you are being stealthy, cast it on the rogue when he needs to pick a lock, make a fallen comrade easier to transport, etc.

Enlarge person is good as a combat buff, particularly since it grants reach and increased weapon damage.

I was going to say a low level Summon spell would be nice, but since you want CL 1 it would be a waste. One full round to have a creature serve you for one round is pointless in combat. Out of combat it can be handy for triggering traps and such, but still not great.

sonofzeal
2009-01-28, 11:55 PM
Get a wand of the lvl1 Ranger spell "Lay of the Land", especially if you have Artificers in your setting since they can make CL1 versions. Knowledge of all settlements within 50 miles is awesome.

DueceEsMachine
2009-01-29, 12:06 AM
well, something that I've come across with wands in our gaming sessions, regardless of what you put in them, they have a limited number of charges, and eventually prove to be quite the drain on a parties resources (not quite as much as potions, but still).

If your DM will allow it, and you have a character who can make it, or access to someone willing to make a custom wand, get one that had 5 uses/ day.
Not only does it cost the -exact- same as a 50 charge wand, but it's usefulness will never run out.

Just be sure you are aware of the consequences - a wand of fireball, for example, will probably not be a great idea for this - eventually the damage it does will be obsolete at higher levels, but utility spells - knock, cure *blank* wounds and even something like reduce person will continue to perform the same uses at higher levels. Just a thought to help maintain character equipment without insane sacrifice of gold needed to constantly replace used wands.

Thurbane
2009-01-29, 02:03 AM
If your DM will allow it, and you have a character who can make it, or access to someone willing to make a custom wand, get one that had 5 uses/ day.
Not only does it cost the -exact- same as a 50 charge wand, but it's usefulness will never run out.
How does that work? An Eternal Wand (MIC p.159) works 2/day, at the following prices:

Level Eternal Standard

0 460 375
1 820 750
2 4420 4500
3 10900 11250
4 -- 21000

sonofzeal
2009-01-29, 02:12 AM
How does that work? An Eternal Wand (MIC p.159) works 2/day, at the following prices:
More complete chart, full of everything ever.....

Schema Wand Pearl Scroll Knowstone EtWand
1st 400 750 1000 25 1000 820
2nd 2400 4500 4000 150 4000 4420
3rd 6000 11250 9000 375 9000 10900
4th 11200 21000 16000 700 16000 -----
5th 18000 ----- 25000 1125 25000 -----

Schemas are 1/day, Wands have 50 charges, Scrolls have 1 "charge", Pearls have 1 "charge" (which can effectively be chosen out of any spell of that level you've cast today), Eternal Wands are 2/day, and Knowstones are kinda unrelated but in there for bookkeeping purposes. As you can probably see, most of the pricings are rather arbitrary, but c'est la vie.

Malacode
2009-01-29, 02:18 AM
Benign Transposition for the third time. Really, definitely a spell you want acess to. Switching the uber hulk that's just been stunned by the party monk with the Paladin who's just fallen off a red dragon while it was flying, then watching the Uber Hulk splat on the ground is something you'll never forget, and what's more, the paladin avoided falling damage! So many uses... It's even better when the DM rules that Mindless/Stunned/Unconcious creatures are always counted as willing, as in the above example. Rope Trick might be a good idea too. 50 uses is usually enough for a short campaign. A Schema would be better for this, as you're only using it to rest. Problem is, of course, the caster level.

Draz74
2009-01-29, 02:23 AM
Switching the uber hulk that's just been stunned by the party monk with the Paladin who's just fallen off a red dragon while it was flying, then watching the Uber Hulk splat on the ground is something you'll never forget, and what's more, the paladin avoided falling damage! So many uses... It's even better when the DM rules that Mindless creatures are always counted as willing.

Uh ... unless your DM is crazy enough to rule that Mindless things are always willing (I wouldn't!), your example would require Baleful Transposition, not Benign. Which is a much more expensive wand.

And Rope Trick is a bad idea -- it costs 4500 for a full wand (the OP is asking for Level 1 stuff here, people!), and that's if you only want it to last 3 hours. If you want it to keep you safe all night, bump up the price and the caster level. :smallyuk:

TheCountAlucard
2009-01-29, 02:29 AM
Benign Transposition for the third time. Really, definitely a spell you want acess to. Switching the uber hulk that's just been stunned by the party monk with the Paladin who's just fallen off a red dragon while it was flying, then watching the Uber Hulk splat on the ground is something you'll never forget, and what's more, the paladin avoided falling damage! So many uses... It's even better when the DM rules that Mindless/Stunned/Unconcious creatures are always counted as willing, as in the above example. Rope Trick might be a good idea too. 50 uses is usually enough for a short campaign. A Schema would be better for this, as you're only using it to rest. Problem is, of course, the caster level.

I believe you're thinking of "Baleful Transposition."

EDIT: Blasted ninjas! (hangs some sticky strips from the ceiling)

Malacode
2009-01-29, 02:44 AM
In response to the previous posters: No, I mean Benign. Without the houserule that situation is impossible, I know, but our DM has stupidly ruled that Mindless, Stunned and Unconscious creatures are always treated as willing... Partly due to the fact that there's a Mindless cohort in the party, the Pally is frequently stunned and we all end up Unconscious every now and then and it's not that easy to get people out of a supervillain lair. Even without that houserule, it's an incredible spell and a brilliant thing for anyone to have, just not cheesy

Draz74 - Unless there's a wizard in the party, I still recomend Rope Trick, but yeah, getting the caster level up is going to be a pain. Sorc's really don't have the Spells Known to spend on a recovery spell used once a day and as a Warlock, the OP has no acess to anything like it. I missed the "only have 1500 gp" bit, which is why I suggested it.

turkishproverb
2009-01-29, 02:45 AM
THE best spell to wand

W-A-N-D.

:smallwink:

Seriously though, go with Sleep, Silent Image, or Grease.

Neek
2009-01-29, 03:04 AM
In response to the previous posters: No, I mean Benign. Without the houserule that situation is impossible, I know, but our DM has stupidly ruled that Mindless, Stunned and Unconscious creatures are always treated as willing...

*cough* SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#targetorTargets):

"Unconscious creatures are automatically considered willing, but a character who is conscious but immobile or helpless (such as one who is bound, cowering, grappling, paralyzed, pinned, or stunned) is not automatically willing."

So yeah, unconscious creatures are affected by benign transposition. My conjurer did this before with some drunks. They woke up on the roof. They were confused, but they didn't have to think too hard about how they got up there, if their hangovers were any indication.

Draz74
2009-01-29, 03:25 AM
Draz74 - Unless there's a wizard in the party, I still recomend Rope Trick, but yeah, getting the caster level up is going to be a pain. Sorc's really don't have the Spells Known to spend on a recovery spell used once a day and as a Warlock, the OP has no acess to anything like it. I missed the "only have 1500 gp" bit, which is why I suggested it.

Yeah, the biggest problem is that you're not the only one who hasn't noticed. :smallwink:

MammonAzrael
2009-01-29, 01:02 PM
Well first off, what Invocations do you know, or expect to learn in the future?

Do you want something more utility focused, or combat focused?

Grave Strike/Vine Strike/Golem Strike could be good if you've got lots of SA damage in your party, and expect to be facing lots of undead/plant/constructs.
Aspect of the Wolf could be good for some quick scouting if you don't have a druid.
Snake's Swiftness could be useful if your attacks aren't doing much, or if your rogue is in prime sneak attack position and will dish out more damage than you.
Benign Transposition, as already mentioned, is full of random awesome uses.
Backbiter could be loads of fun against melee creature, and effectively remove them for at least one round of combat.
Grease is always a solid choice, though the duration of only 1 round hurts a bit.

Epinephrine
2009-01-29, 04:53 PM
Faerie Fire can be handy, especially if you as the warlock are the only one who can see invisible.
Entangle is nice for halving enemy movement rate as well as having a chance of grabbing them.
Cloudburst reduces fire damage in the area, puts out fires, and affects Spot, Listen, and missile fire.

Eeezee
2009-01-31, 07:54 PM
Silent Image, since it requires an interaction before they can save.

Shield, since at 1 min/level it's not something you can really cast before combat anyway, but it will last for most combat durations. It's +4AC and blocks magic missiles

Summon Monster I, in case you don't have someone who can check/disable traps. Summon critters to trigger the traps instead!

Comprehend Languages, which has obvious utility

Adumbration
2009-02-01, 02:44 AM
Actually, I've made my decisions already. :smallsmile:

- Wand of Create Trap
- Eternal Wand of Enlarge Person
- Eternal Wand of Aspect of the Wolf.

only1doug
2009-02-01, 05:17 AM
Actually, I've made my decisions already. :smallsmile:

- Wand of Create Trap
- Eternal Wand of Enlarge Person
- Eternal Wand of Aspect of the Wolf.

Nice choices, I hope you have fun with the Trap wand.