PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to handle this?

Keinnicht
2009-01-28, 12:49 PM
I took a mental health day today, though it was backed up by the fact I'm actually somewhat ill. We had a project that needed to be worked on, and one of my "friends in the group told the teacher why I wasn't there. The teacher than proceeded to mock me.

I have several major issues here. One being the fact she assumed there was only the one reason why I wasn't at school (Given the fact I did actually have symptoms this morning), two being the fact she thought it was appropriate to discuss the (extremely personal) reasons I wasn't at school with a teacher, and three being the fact that she was the one who recommended not coming in the first place, only to get irritated the second it became inconvienient for her. Fourth, I have no idea how publicly she had this conversation, so there's the possibility I was mocked to most of the class. Lastly, I object because one of the people in the class is the primary reason for this mental health day (Unrequited feelings is one of the few things that truly leads to me being extremely depressed) and if this was done in front of the class she may have overheard.

So I'm attempting to figure out what exactly I should do about this. Because I feel like my confidence in her has been very, very, blatantly betrayed, and also am getting tired of dealing with her in general because she's been extremely moody lately.

I'm considering going to school for the second half, but I have the concerns that:
1: Most of the reason I want to go is to yell at her
2: I'm worried I'll be miserable and won't be able to leave.
3: If the aforementioned person did overhear, potential interaction with her later in the day could be very, very, very awkward.

So...Yeah...

Another_Poet
2009-01-28, 01:24 PM
Hmm, well, here is my opinion.

First, yes, your confidence was betrayed and this person did you wrong. You should no longer associate with this person, except as you need to for the sake of completing your school project. Yelling at her/him is probably a bad idea, so try not to do it.

Second, do not go to school for the second half of the day. If you suddenly are well enough to show up and yell at someone, it will only reinforce (to friends, classmates, and teachers) that you were not really sick in the first place. Nevermind that it itsn't true; that is how it will look.

Third, you can't undo the fact that you were mocked in front of the class or having the girl/guy you like overhear something about your feelings. Unfortunately, you'll need to suck it up and deal with it, which eventually (pribably tomorrow) means looking these people in the face. Just have as much dignity as you can and know that the bad stuff will eventually pass. However, hopefully this is something of a lesson, as well; even working with a bunch of professional adults at a nice friendly non-profit I would get some funny looks and questions if I said I was taking off for "a mental health day". In school, I expect teachers/authorities take an even dimmer view of staying home when you're not sick. So, for the rest of your life, when you are staying home because of depression or personal feelings, here is what you say: "I won't be in today. I'm not feeling well." Leave it at that, no details, nothing. They will think you have the flu, you will know the real reason, and you don't even have to lie (depression is an illness, and you really weren't feeling well). Everyone gets to feel OK about it and there's no risk of personal info being shared or judged, since you didn't give anyone any personal info in the first place.

Last, before going to a school authority (principal?) I would talk to the teacher in question about the incident. Your friend(s) already betrayed your confidence; who's to say they are accurately describing what the teacher said or did? Ask the teacher, "I heard you said x, y, and z. Is it true?" If so, explain that you find it insulting and that you don't like having personal information about you discussed in front of other students. It's quite possible the teacher will feel bad, apologise, and act more professionally in the future without any kind of official grievance being filed.

If the teacher doesn't take you seriously or seems unapologetic, go straight to the principal and consider a grievance or (if warranted) even a lawsuit.

Hope things get better for you.

ap

Keinnicht
2009-01-28, 01:31 PM
I did not elaborate on why I was taking the day off to her officially, she just recommended taking a day off and when I didn't show up she just assumed that's why I wasn't there. I actually did feel sick when I woke up this morning, it just happened to cheerfully overlap on a day I didn't really want to go to school anyway. I probably could've gone to school, but I didn't. I do think I am going to go however, if only to get stuff so I don't have a bunch of make up work to do.

Another_Poet
2009-01-28, 01:46 PM
Ah, I see. Well, fair enough, and I hope it goes well for you. In any case I definitely think you should talk to that teacher. That's just bad teachering. :/

Innis Cabal
2009-01-28, 02:32 PM
Also consider going to a Psychiatrist. You said you've been depressed and its not at all wise or healthy not to talk it out.

Flame of Anor
2009-01-28, 02:36 PM
I agree with Another Poet on basically everything. Good luck on your situation, and sorry it got so bad in the first place.

WalkingTarget
2009-01-28, 03:03 PM
That stinks. Reminds me of somebody I know that got frequent, persistent migraines. Back when we were in school, they apparently weren't as widely recognized and she got targeted as a "faker" who just wanted to stay home by a lot of people. She eventually switched to home schooling anyway just so absences wouldn't get in her way.

Having people belittle your problems because they don't recognize them as problems is never good. I agree with the advice you've gotten so far, don't let this become something people can bully you with.