PDA

View Full Version : Creative uses of items

Elena Hoyos
2009-01-28, 03:37 PM
What are some creative uses of items that you have used in the past or think you could pull off?

For example. Animate Rope + Immobile Rod, and the hundreds of uses that come off of that.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-28, 03:53 PM
Amulet of Adaptation + Dust of Sneezing and Coughing.
The Aulet gives you immunity to the cursed item. The Cursed item stuns or deals con based on targets save: lose or lose item.

Takes out anything living (undead and constructs) are immune for obvious reasons.

I call it the Dragon killer technique.

Molant
2009-01-28, 04:01 PM
A gold coin at the end of a tube with continual flame cast on it = flashlight.

Darth Stabber
2009-01-28, 04:07 PM
2 immovable rods + boots for mounting them = flyspeed 30 (perfect), walk on water, and a host of other benefits (had a character once(Ranger/fighter/horizon walker) mount 1 in each boot with switches activated with his toes. I then let him blow a feat on the ability to rapidly activate and deactivate rods as a free action, Hilarity ensued.)

Considered home brewing an immovable rod based prestige class for him.

tcrudisi
2009-01-28, 04:44 PM
I don't remember what class I was playing at the time (I think it was a rogue), but here goes:

My party stumbled across a sleeping dragon. They all decided that we could not take it. I, on the other hand, felt that we could. If they weren't going to help, then I'd do it alone.

My coup de grace failed and I was fighting the dragon alone. He got me down fairly low on hp, and I knew the dragon was going to win. So I used a Bead Of Force that entraps a monster if they fail a Reflex save. Except I used it on myself. I took some damage, but not quite enough to kill me. I then proceeded to heal myself up while trapped. As soon as the effect went away (10 minutes of the dragon salivating -- I waited until the duration was almost up to heal), I was at full hp and ready to continue my battle against the dragon, which I ended up winning.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-28, 05:13 PM
I don't remember what class I was playing at the time (I think it was a rogue), but here goes:

My party stumbled across a sleeping dragon. They all decided that we could not take it. I, on the other hand, felt that we could. If they weren't going to help, then I'd do it alone.

My coup de grace failed and I was fighting the dragon alone. He got me down fairly low on hp, and I knew the dragon was going to win. So I used a Bead Of Force that entraps a monster if they fail a Reflex save. Except I used it on myself. I took some damage, but not quite enough to kill me. I then proceeded to heal myself up while trapped. As soon as the effect went away (10 minutes of the dragon salivating -- I waited until the duration was almost up to heal), I was at full hp and ready to continue my battle against the dragon, which I ended up winning.

Surprised the Dragon didn't make a fire or trap till you out. But good idea there.

Jack_Simth
2009-01-28, 05:54 PM

A couple of things wrong with this.. (in 3.5, at least).

1) Dragons have Blindsense-60. Without Superior Invisibility, Darkstalker, or some such, you can't get close enough to them to CdG them in their sleep (unless it's not mundane sleep) as walking into their blindsense range wakens them with no roll.
2) The Dragon was played stupid. There's a lot of things it could have done in that ten minutes.
a) Collapse the cave on top of you - you're not immediately damaged, but once the effect wears off, you're stuck in the middle of a cave-in... with nowhere to dodge, if the Dragon does it right. The suffocation rules are kinda mean.
b) Start a fire to use up your air (mentioned already by another).
c) Self-buff.
d) Self-heal.
e) All of the above

smart thog
2009-01-28, 08:17 PM
Alright back to the topic. Wine+Torch= getaway plan. (it helped me take out a Yuan-ti)

Atamasama
2009-01-28, 08:27 PM
A couple of things wrong with this.. (in 3.5, at least).

1) Dragons have Blindsense-60. Without Superior Invisibility, Darkstalker, or some such, you can't get close enough to them to CdG them in their sleep (unless it's not mundane sleep) as walking into their blindsense range wakens them with no roll.
2) The Dragon was played stupid. There's a lot of things it could have done in that ten minutes.
a) Collapse the cave on top of you - you're not immediately damaged, but once the effect wears off, you're stuck in the middle of a cave-in... with nowhere to dodge, if the Dragon does it right. The suffocation rules are kinda mean.
b) Start a fire to use up your air (mentioned already by another).
c) Self-buff.
d) Self-heal.
e) All of the above

If I was the DM, I would have just had the dragon swallow the bead.

Assassin89
2009-01-28, 08:28 PM
Wand of cure light wounds + zombie = damaged zombie
Used it once, but failed.

Thurbane
2009-01-28, 08:33 PM
Alright back to the topic. Wine+Torch= getaway plan. (it helped me take out a Yuan-ti)
Huh? Flammable wine - man, that must be a potent drop!

Jack_Simth
2009-01-28, 09:41 PM
Huh? Flammable wine - man, that must be a potent drop!
Yeah. You need need a reasonable proof before the alcohol burning can deal with the water quenching. Wine isn't going to cut it - you need whiskey, liquor, or some such - at least partially refined alcohol.

shadowfox
2009-01-28, 10:02 PM
Disclaimer: Going by version 3.5.
Step 1: buy a ladder
Step 2: take out the steps; you now essentially have two 10-foot poles
Step 3: sell said homemade 10-foot poles
Wash, rise, and repeat.

Something more "original" and applicable:
Arrow + strands of hempen rope + flash of Alchemist's Fire= homemade Alchemists Arrows... Man, I miss those suckers from version 3.

Starbuck_II
2009-01-28, 11:14 PM
Yeah. You need need a reasonable proof before the alcohol burning can deal with the water quenching. Wine isn't going to cut it - you need whiskey, liquor, or some such - at least partially refined alcohol.

What about Everclear (almost 100 proof)?

DueceEsMachine
2009-01-28, 11:55 PM
Alright - well, I was considering starting a thread like this myself, but seeing how it's already been done - I might as well post some of the creativity that has come my way as a DM and player.

1. Arrows of Healing - very useful when your cleric character insists on playing an archer, and refuses to STOP FIGHTING to HEAL the other character. The cleric would fire the arrows at whoever was in need of healing (manyshot, rapid shot, ect) and we would just -hope- that he didn't roll a critical and do more damage with the arrows than they healed.

2. Holy Firehose - I once had a character who for some reason or another (I don't really remember why) had a decanter of endless water. Now, said character found himself using holy water to deal with quite a bit of undead, and had the epiphany of "hey, why don't I enchant the decanter?" Well, quite a bit of gold, and a trip to the nearest holy city later, he had a decanter of endless holy water..... which quickly dealt with any undead when turned onto its 'geyser' setting..... and left a squeaky clean dungeon.

3. I once had a high level character whose favorite tactic when dealing with larger creatures, specifically those who enjoy eating you, was to douse himself with barbeque sauce and attempt to be eaten, taking some damage, but with resistance to acid and dr vs. bludgeoning, it wasn't too bad. Once inside said monsters, he would use double bladed swords of sizing - making them grow to immense size - and poking out quite dramatically through the sides of said creature. Ten or eleven of these was usually enough to make quite the sight (pin-cushion) and effectively deal with the monster.

4. Dust of Dryness - so, you use dust of dryness on a body of water, and it turns a large volume of water into a small marble that can later be smashed to turn back into the water. Well, this started out with a character using the marbles quite effectively in his sling shot - didn't do damage, but was enough to throw people off their guard, maybe knock them off their feet if he rolled well enough. The problem is, this snowballed into the character carrying around several bags of these things and using them to escape places - like the insides of monsters. (now that I think about it... we seem to get swallowed a lot.... have to mention that to the DM.)
Just imagine, the character finds himself in the gullet of a purple worm, and smashes a backpack with several hundred marbles in it. Now, if my memory serves me, they each contain 1 cubic yard of water. So the characters not swallowed would give it a moment and laugh hysterically as the unlucky monster had a swimming pool suddenly erupt like a fire hydrant out of it's mouth - and the swallowed character with it.

5. Daerns Instant Fortress. Oh my good heavans. Who hasn't used this thing as an instant solution (catapult) for large charging monsters? I mean, honestly? What's better than watching a Colossal creature blast skyward, screaming the whole way up and down?

Hmmm... I'll have to keep thinking, there -has- to be more, but those are the most memmorable for now. Hope they are enjoyed.

SilentNight
2009-01-29, 12:20 AM
Not claiming credit for this by the way.

Throwing a folding boat into the mouth of a dragon turtle, then saying the command word, rendering it unable to bite.

Thurbane
2009-01-29, 01:49 AM
Back in the 2E days, our group was being chased through an underground lake by some gargantuan aquatic nasty. I pulled a patch of my Robe of Useful Items - a mule. It made a great snack for the beastie while we got to shore. :smallbiggrin:

AslanCross
2009-01-29, 06:24 AM
Eberron. Eyes of the Lich Queen. The Grinder room.

In the first chapter, there's a room that's about..95% trap. Buzzsaws in the walls, floor, and ceiling, and two spinning columns covered with scimitar-like blades in the middle.
The rogue and the artificer in the party were having a hard time disabling them all, and we couldn't move on. The swordsage tossed a tanglefoot bag at one of the columns, and he was actually able to glue it in place. It stayed put long enough for most of the party's frontliners to get through to the 2-square safe zone in the middle of the mess.

We later discovered that the blade columns weren't so bad. My warforged managed to get through (with a successful reflex save) and only 3 damage.

Jack_Simth
2009-01-29, 08:20 AM
What about Everclear (almost 100 proof)?You're confusing percent and proof. 200 proof is 100% pure alcohol. Everclear is a brand-name, and is available in concentrations from 151 proof to 190 proof (75.5% pure to 95% pure). Yeah, that'll burn quite well, but I'm not quite sure where the line is, exactly.

Joey/Flake
2009-01-29, 09:46 AM
Endless Bags of sand/water/anything else can always be useful when mixed with the correct spell..

I once boiled a entire underground complex with one..and then used Water Breathing to loot it. xD Of course, They can do the same spell sometimes.

Healing Weapons are brilliant, Can do some seriouse Damage to Undead, and heal party members.

Wand of Fire + Wand of Oil Splash = COver them in Oil, and set them alight.

Freezing them solid is also a lovely tatic.

Oh..Throwing a Expanding house in a room..Can't remember that name of the item..And then shouting 'House house house house' and watch as it crushes everything in the room repeatedly.

Molant
2009-01-29, 03:30 PM
Yeah, that'll burn quite well, but I'm not quite sure where the line is, exactly.

Alcohol starts burning at around 50 proof as I recall.

zerombr
2009-01-29, 07:57 PM
got swallowed by a dragon, pulled out my decanter of endless water, and one geyser later, drowned the sucker from the inside out, granted it took a bit of time...Only time I ever used that Helm of Underwater Action.