PDA

View Full Version : (Spoiler) V's story continues

pendell
2009-01-28, 07:43 PM
Well folks, it looks to me as if V is dead-dead. As in: Killed, no possibility of resurrection.

Why is this? We know from earlier comics ze has d4 hit dice. Ze can't possibly be above 20th level. That's -- what -- 80 or so hp max?

And ze just got slammed into a mountain by several metric tons of dragon, in an AMF. Save vs. massive damage or die instantly. Make the save, take hundreds of hp damage and die anyway.

Next strip, I assume the dragon eats V, destroying zir body and eliminating any chance of resurrection short of true resurrection.

But V's story will continue.

How?

I urge you all to consider the very last panel and the last sentence V speaks in Strip 163 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0163.html).

Foreshadowing, perhaps?

Is that the price that must be paid ?

Is that how V will continue as a functional character in the party, in such a condition?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Jokasti
2009-01-28, 07:51 PM
That was... 464 strips ago. I really don't think Burlew thinks that far ahead. At least, not back then.

Woodsman
2009-01-28, 07:58 PM
I really think it was for comedic effect.

magic9mushroom
2009-01-28, 10:31 PM
That was... 464 strips ago. I really don't think Burlew thinks that far ahead. At least, not back then.

He did, look at the dragon.

If V doesn't survive, it's indeed highly likely that she'll have prepared some sort of undeadness. The two most likely that I can see are Lich and Ghost. In that order.

Sarrel
2009-01-28, 10:48 PM
maybe the imp will save him. you never know... though I'm not entirely sure what he could possibly do...

and the quote could still be valid, though I agree that at the time he probably had no intention of using it later, it might have been some little note in the back of his mind all along that it would be a fun thing to play with later.

Flickerdart
2009-01-28, 10:57 PM
Um...Crush damage from an Ancient dragon is only 2d8+16. V isn't dead from this single attack, though he's grappled and easy picking.

Finwe
2009-01-28, 11:01 PM

And yet, it's very possible that this dragon is the foreshadowed mother of the black dragon killed just over 400 strips ago. So it's quite possible.

The Blackbird
2009-01-28, 11:10 PM
Well folks, it looks to me as if V is dead-dead. As in: Killed, no possibility of resurrection.

Why is this? We know from earlier comics ze has d4 hit dice. Ze can't possibly be above 20th level. That's -- what -- 80 or so hp max?

And ze just got slammed into a mountain by several metric tons of dragon, in an AMF. Save vs. massive damage or die instantly. Make the save, take hundreds of hp damage and die anyway.

Next strip, I assume the dragon eats V, destroying zir body and eliminating any chance of resurrection short of true resurrection.

But V's story will continue.

How?

I urge you all to consider the very last panel and the last sentence V speaks in Strip 163 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0163.html).

Foreshadowing, perhaps?

Is that the price that must be paid ?

Is that how V will continue as a functional character in the party, in such a condition?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

V's prophecy by the Oracle has yet to be fulfilled if V does die, he will be back.

SPoD
2009-01-29, 12:07 AM
Save vs. massive damage or die instantly. Make the save, take hundreds of hp damage and die anyway.

This is a dramatically inaccurate assumption. Being crushed by an ancient black dragon has a specific damage dice associated with it; it is not "hundreds of hp damage," it is 4d6+16 (4d6 = crush damage for Gargantuan dragon, +16 = 1.5 Strength bonus of +11). Not peanuts, but actually incapable of triggering a massive damage save, as it tops out at 40 hp..

So, there's no rule-based reason V would definitely be dead. He/she may be dead anyway if Rich wants him/her dead, but there's nothing in the last panel to prove it either way.

Finwe
2009-01-29, 12:10 AM
V's prophecy by the Oracle has yet to be fulfilled if V does die, he will be back.

Combining the two ideas...

(Vaarsuvius is at the gates of whatever his afterlife is)

Gatekeeper: "Alright, let's get this judgment started."

:vaarsuvius: "Actually, I want to go back as a ghost, and claim vengeance upon that dragon!"

Gatekeeper: "Ok, just step into this ghostification machine, and we'll send you right on back!"

:vaarsuvius: "I get to keep my spellcasting powers, right?"

Gatekeeper: "Yes, you do. Hold on, I need to set the caster level on this thing. I forgot, did you say you were level fourteen, or fourty-one?"

:vaarsuvius: "Oh, uh, fourty one, of course!"

Presto! Ultimate arcane power!

:smalltongue:

pendell
2009-01-29, 12:35 AM
I note Spod and others stating that the actual damage by the rules might not be sufficient to kill V. I stand corrected.

I nonetheless think it's possible. The question V asked was 'How will I attain ultimate arcane power?'

I don't see anything in the prophecy that indicates V must be *alive* when ze 'attains ultimate arcane power'. Lots of casters -- Death Knight, Xykon himself -- are not alive.

Thanks to notes by Spod and others, I now see this as only a *plausible* theory rather than a probable one. But it's still a distinct possibility even so.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Kaytara
2009-01-29, 01:44 AM
I note Spod and others stating that the actual damage by the rules might not be sufficient to kill V. I stand corrected.

I nonetheless think it's possible. The question V asked was 'How will I attain ultimate arcane power?'

I don't see anything in the prophecy that indicates V must be *alive* when ze 'attains ultimate arcane power'. Lots of casters -- Death Knight, Xykon himself -- are not alive.

Thanks to notes by Spod and others, I now see this as only a *plausible* theory rather than a probable one. But it's still a distinct possibility even so.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Pendell, I think right now Vaarsuvius is safe from having been killed by the dragon because Qarr is still alive and obviously still has a part to play. If V dies now, the dragon would, what? Ignore the imp and fly away, never to be seen again? Kill the imp and fly away, never to be seen again? What purpose would that serve?

As tricky as V's current situation is, that crush can't have killed him just yet. (Although, if we ignore DnD and use common sense, it probably should have, especially seeing as V was slammed into the ground with his head first, with huge dragon feet on his chest and face. There's no way his fragile elven bones can survive an impact like that.)

Sylphy
2009-01-29, 02:23 AM
I predict this either going 1 of 2 ways:

1. The being that V is suppose to say the four words to gain the ultimate power is this dragon.

2. Little impy saves V....somehow....thus gaining some form of trust from V...or at least owing him a favor?

Also, maybe the dragon is just kind of grappling V around and wants him alive?

Corwin Weber
2009-01-29, 02:28 AM
I predict this either going 1 of 2 ways:

1. The being that V is suppose to say the four words to gain the ultimate power is this dragon.

2. Little impy saves V....somehow....thus gaining some form of trust from V...or at least owing him a favor?

Also, maybe the dragon is just kind of grappling V around and wants him alive?

While most predators go for the kill fairly quickly, it's not entirely unknown for them to play with their food first.... ask anybody who's ever owned a cat.

David Argall
2009-01-29, 02:41 AM

Our writer started foreshadowing the rescue of Haley's dad with 131, almost 500 strips ago, and it is unlikely to happen for another 100 strips. The hints about Elan's dad are even older.

However, as noted, the presence of Qarr argues that V is going to survive, and so do other plot elements. Just how is a guess, but V will get out of this alive. Happy? maybe not. But alive.

Finwe
2009-01-29, 03:00 AM
Our writer started foreshadowing the rescue of Haley's dad with 131, almost 500 strips ago, and it is unlikely to happen for another 100 strips. The hints about Elan's dad are even older.

However, as noted, the presence of Qarr argues that V is going to survive, and so do other plot elements. Just how is a guess, but V will get out of this alive. Happy? maybe not. But alive.

Perhaps the head of a zombified great wyrm prismatic dragon will fall from the sky and crush his assailant?

Golden-Esque
2009-01-29, 03:54 AM
Perhaps the head of a zombified great wyrm prismatic dragon will fall from the sky and crush his assailant?

Bahamut: God damn it Tiamet, watch where the hell you throw your food! You almost hit me!
Tiamet: *Snarl* I'll be sure to correct that mistake this time...