PDA

View Full Version : Victorious Press Wants Artists!

Lord Iames Osari
2009-01-28, 11:18 PM
Victorious Press, the game company founded by our very own Fax Celestis, is looking for more designers, developers, and artists to help us produce quality third-party gaming content. This is a perfect opportunity to get your work published, but we do expect a certain level of commitment and activity from those we accept; too many people have wandered in, done some work, and then vanished, leaving us uncertain how to continue.

We're still working with the 3.5 system at this point, but if we can get enough people with experience working with 4e, we want to introduce some 4e products as well.

The main projects we're currently working on are:
[hr]

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/LordIames/Miscellaneous/TheOuroborosMentality1.png

The Ouroboros Mentality is a 1-20 adventure path that makes heavy use of psionics. It will take you from a bustling city to a sinister plane ruled by dark passions, along a path strewn with powerful foes and pitiful victims, to a final confrontation with the four aspects of a dark god in the heart of the Library of Ouroboros.
[hr]

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/LordIames/Miscellaneous/VariantsHandbook.png

The Variants Handbook is a game supplement that aims to ameliorate some of the most egregious power imbalances of the standard 3.5 rules and give players and DMs alike some more options when it comes to making play interesting, fun, and dramatic.
[hr]

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/LordIames/Miscellaneous/TheTenThousandDays1.png

The Ten Thousand Days is a minicampaign for characters level 9+. Characters will explore an underwater temple, discover the secrets of a cursed ship and eventually battle its evil former captain. The adventure also includes as a bonus, three new base and prestige classes, several shiny new magical items and a lot of general purpose awesome.
[hr]
Of course, those are just the ones we're focusing on at the moment. There are several more projects waiting in the wings, and we're always on the lookout for new and interesting ideas from our designers!

Application procedures vary slightly depending on whether you're applying as an artist or a designer:

Designer ApplicationsGo to this site (http://pifro.com/dnd/NEW/nyu.php) and use it to generate a random set of statistics. There's no obligation to use the first set of stats it spits out at you, feel free to keep cycling until you get something you can work with. Also, the random name it gives you can be totally ignored.

Once you have a suitable skeleton of stats, you have to flesh them out, both mechanically and fluff-wise, to create an interesting and original creature. Creatures will be judged on formatting, punctuation, and spelling, but also on originality, mechanical balance, the quality of the fluff, and general aesthetics (read: coolness).

Please write up your monsters in a word processor and save them as .doc files, and include the name of your monster in the filename.

Artist/Illustrator ApplicationsWe're asking potential artists to submit 1 piece of art based on the descriptions below and a link to a gallery of their other art; if an artist lacks such a gallery, we ask for 2 pieces of art. If you have a portfolio, we will happily take a look at it, but we need to be able to judge your ability to take descriptions of things we've created and turn them into pictures, so we do insist that you produce a piece based on the below options.

Iconic CharactersThe following descriptions are for just a few of our new "iconic" characters.

1. Zak, male elf Monk; brown hair, green eyes; wears pale blues and off-whites; fights unarmed; air motif.

2. Tassen, female gnome Cleric; straw-colored hair, blue eyes; chainmail and shield; morningstar.

3. Rhaokhmar, male half-orc Sorcerer; bald, black eyes; tattooed; spear.
MonstersThe following are descriptions of some of the original monsters we have created.

1. The creature is vaguely reptilian, resembling somewhat a velociraptor in its build. Its forearms are powerfully muscled, and its hands viciously clawed. Its hind legs in vicious, razor-sharp talons that seem meant to cut something more then mere flesh and bone. The creature glares at you with hate-filled eyes, set in an alien, mouthless face, and tenses, readying itself to spring at you...

2. This once-beautiful woman, unkempt and clad in the rags of what might have been a fine dress, sits on her haunches, watching you with baleful, feral eyes. As you approach, she growls at you, showing her teeth, and her hands clench into fists...

3. A black figure hovers in the air upon the center of the deck. It bears the semblance of a man, its features twisted as one subjected to the cruelest of tortures. Black chains of shadow wrap its ghostly body, locking hand to foot to neck.
LocationsThe following location descriptions are currently used in draft versions of some of our upcoming material.

1. Half sunken into a dank and dismal swamp lies an ancient looking temple. The sea green and foam white tiled roof juts out above the surrounding water atop green walls that darken in hue as they descend, becoming nearly black before they are lost to sight below the level of murky water. The brine of the swamp seems to have kept insects to a minimum.

2. The city of Rihana’s Gate is located on an island in the middle of Crystal Lake, connected to the mainland by one bridge... much of the city is a blindingly beautiful metropolis, and is dominated by a great temple near its center.

3. A run-down, abandoned monastery, its once-pristine courtyard now overgrown with tall grass, bushes, and wildflowers.

Please digitize your artworks and save them as .png, .jpg, .gif, or .svg files.

Once you have your monsters and/or pictures ready, please email them, as attachments, to this address:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/LordIames/Miscellaneous/VPRecruitBanner.png ([email protected])

Due to our wish to avoid biting off more legal issues than we can chew, at this time we are only considering applications from citizens or permanent legal residents of the United States who are at least 18 years old.

celtois
2009-01-29, 01:40 AM
Just going to say this..If don't have time to actually help with this. But if you have need anything little helped with I don't mind doing something. Mind you I don't live in the us so meh..

Bayar
2009-01-29, 06:54 AM
Would it be possible to write a supplement for the artificier class from Eberron ?

Got a couple of ideas in my mind among which are: weapon proficiencies in the tools of the trade (depending on the number of ranks in Knowledge (arhitecture and engineering) ), Arcane Engineer prestige class, new infusions, guide on how to describe your mundane magical items so they dont look like off the shelf run of the mill things (like, instead of Headband of intelect, you could wear a Sweatband of heavy thoughts) and other stuff.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-01-29, 07:25 AM
Victorious Press, the game company founded by our very own Fax Celestis, is looking for more designers, developers, and artists to help us produce quality third-party gaming content. This is a perfect opportunity to get your work published, but we do expect a certain level of commitment and activity from those we accept; too many people have wandered in, done some work, and then vanished, leaving us uncertain how to continue.

We're still working with the 3.5 system at this point, but if we can get enough people with experience working with 4e, we want to introduce some 4e products as well.

The main projects we're currently working on are:
<hr>

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/LordIames/Miscellaneous/TheOuroborosMentality1.png

The Ouroboros Mentality is a 1-20 adventure path that makes heavy use of psionics. It will take you from a bustling city to a sinister plane ruled by dark passions, along a path strewn with powerful foes and pitiful victims, to a final confrontation with the four aspects of a dark god in the heart of the Library of Ouroboros.
<hr>

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/LordIames/Miscellaneous/VariantsHandbook.png

The Variants Handbook is a game supplement that aims to ameliorate some of the most egregious power imbalances of the standard 3.5 rules and give players and DMs alike some more options when it comes to making play interesting, fun, and dramatic.
<hr>

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/LordIames/Miscellaneous/TheTenThousandDays1.png

The Ten Thousand Days is a minicampaign for characters level 9+. Characters will explore an underwater temple, discover the secrets of a cursed ship and eventually battle its evil former captain. The adventure also includes as a bonus, three new base and prestige classes, several shiny new magical items and a lot of general purpose awesome.
<hr>
Of course, those are just the ones we're focusing on at the moment. There are several more projects waiting in the wings, and we're always on the lookout for new and interesting ideas from our designers!

Application procedures vary slightly depending on whether you're applying as an artist or a designer:

Designer ApplicationsGo to this site (http://pifro.com/dnd/NEW/nyu.php) and use it to generate a random set of statistics. There's no obligation to use the first set of stats it spits out at you, feel free to keep cycling until you get something you can work with.

Once you have a suitable skeleton of stats, you have to flesh them out, both mechanically and fluff-wise, to create an interesting and original creature. Creatures will be judged on formatting, punctuation, and spelling, but also on originality, mechanical balance, the quality of the fluff, and general aesthetics (read: coolness).

Please write up your monsters in a word processor and save them as .doc files.

Artist/Illustrator ApplicationsWe're asking potential artists for at least 2 pieces of art. If you have a portfolio, we will happily take a look at it, but we need to be able to judge your ability to take descriptions of things we've created and turn them into pictures, so we do insist that you produce a pair of pieces based on the below options.

Iconic CharactersThe following descriptions are for just a few of our new "iconic" characters.

1. Zak, male elf Monk; brown hair, green eyes; wears pale blues and off-whites; fights unarmed; air motif.

2. Tassen, female gnome Cleric; straw-colored hair, blue eyes; chainmail and shield; morningstar.

3. Rhaokhmar, male half-orc Sorcerer; bald, black eyes; tattooed; spear.
MonstersThe following are descriptions of some of the original monsters we have created.

1. The creature is vaguely reptilian, resembling somewhat a velociraptor in its build. Its forearms are powerfully muscled, and its hands viciously clawed. Its hind legs in vicious, razor-sharp talons that seem meant to cut something more then mere flesh and bone. The creature glares at you with hate-filled eyes, set in an alien, mouthless face, and tenses, readying itself to spring at you...

2. This once-beautiful woman, unkempt and clad in the rags of what might have been a fine dress, sits on her haunches, watching you with baleful, feral eyes. As you approach, she growls at you, showing her teeth, and her hands clench into fists...

3. A black figure hovers in the air upon the center of the deck. It bears the semblance of a man, its features twisted as one subjected to the cruelest of tortures. Black chains of shadow wrap its ghostly body, locking hand to foot to neck.
LocationsThe following location descriptions are currently used in draft versions of some of our upcoming material.

1. Half sunken into a dank and dismal swamp lies an ancient looking temple. The sea green and foam white tiled roof juts out above the surrounding water atop green walls that darken in hue as they descend, becoming nearly black before they are lost to sight below the level of murky water. The brine of the swamp seems to have kept insects to a minimum.

2. The city of Rihana’s Gate is located on an island in the middle of Crystal Lake, connected to the mainland by one bridge... much of the city is a blindingly beautiful metropolis, and is dominated by a great temple near its center.

3. A run-down, abandoned monastery, its once-pristine courtyard now overgrown with tall grass, bushes, and wildflowers.

Please digitize your artworks and save them as .png, .jpg, .gif, or .svg files.

Once you have your monsters and/or pictures ready, please email them, as attachments, to this address:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/LordIames/Miscellaneous/VPRecruitBanner.png ([email protected])

Due to our wish to avoid biting off more legal issues than we can chew, at this time we are only considering applications from citizens or permanent legal residents of the United States who are at least 18 years old.
I was gonna send in some art pieces....
But I am neither of the requirements.:smallfrown:

afroakuma
2009-01-29, 07:32 AM
Unfortunately, I am not a citizen of the United States, so I will be unable to participate.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-01-29, 01:19 PM
Would it be possible to write a supplement for the artificier class from Eberron ?

Got a couple of ideas in my mind among which are: weapon proficiencies in the tools of the trade (depending on the number of ranks in Knowledge (arhitecture and engineering) ), Arcane Engineer prestige class, new infusions, guide on how to describe your mundane magical items so they dont look like off the shelf run of the mill things (like, instead of Headband of intelect, you could wear a Sweatband of heavy thoughts) and other stuff.
Unfortunately, the artificer is not an OGL class, so we can't do anything with it specifically. That said, most of your ideas sound like they could easily be adapted so as not to reference the artificer.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-01-30, 03:28 PM
To clarify, we're not asking for "donations" of artwork. Artists will be paid based on the sales of products they contribute art to.

Veni, vidi, offensi ligamentem

Berserk Monk
2009-01-31, 01:33 AM
To clarify, we're not asking for "donations" of artwork. Artists will be paid based on the sales of products they contribute art to.

Money? Count me in! I'm a student of MICA (Maryland Institute College of Art). I'm both a US citizen and 19 years old. Just tell me what images you need and I'll send you some. I should warn you my style is kind of cartoonish, but not really cartoonish. Sort of like realistic anime (if you can comprehend what I'm trying to say). Anyway, I can also do some realistic stuff.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-01-31, 02:12 AM
Money? Count me in! I'm a student of MICA (Maryland Institute College of Art). I'm both a US citizen and 19 years old. Just tell me what images you need and I'll send you some. I should warn you my style is kind of cartoonish, but not really cartoonish. Sort of like realistic anime (if you can comprehend what I'm trying to say). Anyway, I can also do some realistic stuff.

*points to the opening post* You should find all the information you need there.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-01, 03:48 AM

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-01, 04:43 PM

I'm bumping the thread again because VP is especially in need of artists; that's our biggest production bottleneck at the moment, and so far we've had no art submissions. Art is, as I'm sure you're all aware, an important part of RPG products, and at the moment we simply don't have enough of it.

Also, as I said in the other thread in Gaming, this isn't just open to people here on GitP. If you know people outside the forums who might be interested, please encourage them to make a submission.

Berserk Monk
2009-02-01, 06:06 PM

I'm bumping the thread again because VP is especially in need of artists; that's our biggest production bottleneck at the moment, and so far we've had no art submissions. Art is, as I'm sure you're all aware, an important part of RPG products, and at the moment we simply don't have enough of it.

Also, as I said in the other thread in Gaming, this isn't just open to people here on GitP. If you know people outside the forums who might be interested, please encourage them to make a submission.

I already said I'd contribute. I just have a lot of work right now at ART SCHOOL. I did mention I AM AT ART SCHOOL right? 'Cause it's kind of a big deal I AM AT AN ART SCHOOL. Also, I'm working on some piece of visual art for someone else at the moment. It might take me a week or two to produce something for you. Also, my style is kind go graphic so I hope it's okay the work I produce is a little carttonish. What sort of RPG is it? If it's anything like Munchkin, then you're lucky I read this thread.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-01, 07:53 PM
Sorry, sorry.

I guess I'm just getting antsy.

We're not aiming for a Munchkinesque feel, at least not with any of our current or near-future projects. Just how cartoonish are we talking, here?

Berserk Monk
2009-02-02, 01:01 AM
Sorry, sorry.

I guess I'm just getting antsy.

We're not aiming for a Munchkinesque feel, at least not with any of our current or near-future projects. Just how cartoonish are we talking, here?

Think sort of anime without all the bad cliches. Bad cliches meaning huge eyes, small noses and mouths, and just about every character having the build of a 12 year old boy or girl. I'm currently working on this one piece. PM me your email and I'll send you the work so far. Tell me what you think of it.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-02, 02:52 AM
Hmmm. That sounds like it should be okay. PM sent.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-18, 03:09 PM

Kara Kuro
2009-02-18, 03:57 PM
I am not an Art Student, per se. I am however, a semi-professional artist, over 18, a legal resident of the United States and rather strapped for cash at the moment.

Are we just to submit the art peices requested above, and then recieve monetary compensation if and when our pieces are selected? Forgive, me, I'm slightly confused.

At any rate, if you'd like some indication of my particular style I can post some samples.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-18, 04:24 PM
We're looking for artists to work with on a regular basis to provide illustrations for things like splatbooks, adventure modules, and monster collections. Compensation is in the form of royalties paid out according to how many pieces a given artist contributed to each product, and the importance of art to that product. For example, an illustration that goes into a monster book is more important to the whole product than an illustration that goes into a splatbook, so the monster book illustration is worth more money than the splatbook illustration.

We're asking for samples of people's work so we can determine whether your aesthetic sense and technical skill are suited to our needs.

Does that answer your question?

Kara Kuro
2009-02-19, 12:13 AM
We're looking for artists to work with on a regular basis to provide illustrations for things like splatbooks, adventure modules, and monster collections. Compensation is in the form of royalties paid out according to how many pieces a given artist contributed to each product, and the importance of art to that product. For example, an illustration that goes into a monster book is more important to the whole product than an illustration that goes into a splatbook, so the monster book illustration is worth more money than the splatbook illustration.

We're asking for samples of people's work so we can determine whether your aesthetic sense and technical skill are suited to our needs.

Does that answer your question?

Yes, I beleive it does. So the example drawing prompts above are to be the samples?

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-19, 12:43 AM
Control-Alt-Bingo.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-25, 03:32 AM
We have amended our artist submission policies. Instead of submitting two illustrations chosen from the lists in the first post, we ask that you submit one illustration and a link to a gallery of other art you have created, prefereably in the same style.

If you have no such gallery, please produce two illustrations chosen from the lists in the first post.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-02-25, 04:55 AM
You know, I'd be willing to do some requests. No money, as long as my name(thus credit) is under it.

Though I fully respect your wishes if you don't want that.

Hell Puppi
2009-02-25, 02:20 PM
Just wanted to pop in and say I'll be happy to do a submission for artist, just please give me a day or two.

Also are you looking more for the DnD style of realism and shading (or full-color) or more the Rifts black and white lineart? Or both?

In the meantime here's a link to my deviantart:
http://thehellpuppi.deviantart.com/gallery/

I'd advise you to look at the whole gallery as my last couple of things were cutsey little paintings and not at all what you probably want =P.

If it just is not what you're looking for, I completely understand.

Berserk Monk
2009-02-25, 11:32 PM
I have a question: can I both create monsters and then illustrate them? I noticed you needed both original monster ideas as well as artist to illustrate.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-02-26, 02:25 AM
You know, I'd be willing to do some requests. No money, as long as my name(thus credit) is under it.

Though I fully respect your wishes if you don't want that.

Uh... so let me get this straight... we're offering to pay you to draw art for us... and you're turning us down...? :smallconfused: Am I missing something here?

Just wanted to pop in and say I'll be happy to do a submission for artist, just please give me a day or two.

Also are you looking more for the DnD style of realism and shading (or full-color) or more the Rifts black and white lineart? Or both?
Either way works. Make sure to include the DevArt link in your email.

I have a question: can I both create monsters and then illustrate them? I noticed you needed both original monster ideas as well as artist to illustrate.

Not as part of your appilcation. We don't ask prospective designers to design monsters because we need the monsters, we ask them to do so as a test of their ability to work with stats not entirely their own and come up with something interesting and fleshed-out.

By the same token, we ask artists to draw something from a set of lists not only to get a sense of their technical ability and aesthetic sense, but also as a test of their ability to take the descriptions created by a designer and turn it into an illustration, since that is the function artists will be performing in the company. Drawing something that you yourself created is not a test of that ability.

You are free to submit an application as both a designer and an artist, but you will be judged separately for each aspect, and we insist that artists submit an illustration based on one of the descriptions we provided.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-02-26, 03:54 AM
Uh... so let me get this straight... we're offering to pay you to draw art for us... and you're turning us down...? :smallconfused: Am I missing something here?
Hmm, maybe this?

I was gonna send in some art pieces....
But I am neither of the requirements.:
So no legal issues?
Ofcourse when IŽl be 18(+) and if I move to the USA, IŽl be sure to look at it again.:smallwink:

Hell Puppi
2009-02-27, 06:02 PM
Already sent in my application but did two drawings more of one of the other characters. Should I send it in or just wait for a reply on the first e-mail? Not sure how busy you guys are.

PhoeKun
2009-02-27, 06:28 PM
Feel free to send it in, if you'd like. A larger sample size is never a bad thing.

Berserk Monk
2009-02-28, 03:33 AM
Hey, I has question, Lord Iames, can you give me some more images to illustrate? I've decided to kill two bird with one stone, and I'm going to turn in the images for your games I make as a series project for one of my classes. I'll probably need like ten to illustrate (minimum).

Lord Iames Osari
2009-03-03, 12:38 AM
Hmm, maybe this?

So no legal issues?
Ofcourse when IŽl be 18(+) and if I move to the USA, IŽl be sure to look at it again.:smallwink:

While we appreciate your enthusiasm, at the moment we'd prefer to err on the side of caution rather than risk exposing ourselves to a lawsuit we don't have the money to fight. Sorry.

Hey, I has question, Lord Iames, can you give me some more images to illustrate? I've decided to kill two bird with one stone, and I'm going to turn in the images for your games I make as a series project for one of my classes. I'll probably need like ten to illustrate (minimum).
Again, I'm sorry, but this opens us up copyright issues. While we're allowing artists and designers to retain their own individual copyrights for the time being, it's with the understanding that once we incorporate, all content produced for the company will be owned by the company. And while using art you create for us to help with your class sounds innocuous enough, I have to repeat that we'd prefer to err on the side of caution in the absence of advice from an actual lawyer.

Berserk Monk
2009-03-03, 12:55 AM
While we appreciate your enthusiasm, at the moment we'd prefer to err on the side of caution rather than risk exposing ourselves to a lawsuit we don't have the money to fight. Sorry.

Again, I'm sorry, but this opens us up copyright issues. While we're allowing artists and designers to retain their own individual copyrights for the time being, it's with the understanding that once we incorporate, all content produced for the company will be owned by the company. And while using art you create for us to help with your class sounds innocuous enough, I have to repeat that we'd prefer to err on the side of caution in the absence of advice from an actual lawyer.

Say whaaaaaaaaaaat? I have no idea what you just said. I only speak American. Could you please say that in American? (in other words dumb it down)

Quincunx
2009-03-03, 03:45 AM
Allow me. I was an Exit 2 girl, once.

Yo, we don't wanna pay for some guy from New York to sit on his [bleep] and tell us what to do y'know? We're not gonna take your stuff if someone else is touchin' it first. Even if it is a school.

(friendly fisticuffs here)

No, it ain't spoiled if someone else touches it first! We know it ain't! But we'd have to pay some suit to tell us that!

Lord Iames Osari: About that change of art ownership at a future date--I do hope you mentioned that in the contract you sent to the art applicants, as you didn't in the initial pitch?

Hell Puppi
2009-03-03, 10:18 AM
Erm the application thus far consisted of me sending them stuff through e-mail.

Hopefully should they say yes to an artist it is mentioned in their contract before they say yay or nay.

Not that my work is anything to horde or anything but quite a few higher-end artists do get touchy at the mention that their work is no longer technically theirs. I know you guys are up to your necks in legal issues but should the gaming company move along I would definitely take a look at the ownership laws regarding art. When it's between friends (or people on the forum) it's a general given that they're not going to screw you over and use art without permission or payment later but you are going to risk losing good artist later on who apply at a company they don't know if it's assumed that you retain ownership of their works.

Not trying to be rude or anything, just letting you know.
(note: I don't know the particulars since I'm used to working for free/cheap. If my work is sold at all it's generally because I've given a painting to charity. So I may not be the best to advise you in this matter.)

Lord Iames Osari
2009-03-04, 11:53 PM
A further note about copyright issues - if you'd otherwise want to work with us but balk at the prospect of giving up your copyright, send us a submission anyway. We're willing to negotiate.

Berserk Monk
2009-03-12, 12:37 PM
A further note about copyright issues - if you'd otherwise want to work with us but balk at the prospect of giving up your copyright, send us a submission anyway. We're willing to negotiate.

Okay. Also, it's not too late to submit work right?

Lord Iames Osari
2009-03-12, 01:01 PM
No, it's not too late.

Lord Iames Osari
2009-03-27, 09:51 PM
Veni, vidi, offensi ligamentem.