PDA

View Full Version : Neverwinter Nights 2 Comic Oots Style

Raenir Salazar
2009-01-29, 12:01 AM
I am pretty interested in making a comic strip detailing the plot of NWN2 as I would play through it give or take a few things but I have some questions to those interested:

What class? I generally prefer going through the game as either Sorcerer or Wizard as my game play essentially changes each encounter while anything fighter or priest type remains the same. But seeing as how the main characters are in order of appearence: a fighter, a rogue, a druid, a sorceress, a bard, a paladin, a wizard, a ranger, a cleric and finally a warlock I don't have too many choices on what main character class(es) I should be. I'm thinking Sorcerer/Red Dragon Disciple/Monk.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-29, 12:17 AM
I am pretty interested in making a comic strip detailing the plot of NWN2 as I would play through it give or take a few things but I have some questions to those interested:

What class? I generally prefer going through the game as either Sorcerer or Wizard as my game play essentially changes each encounter while anything fighter or priest type remains the same. But seeing as how the main characters are in order of appearence: a fighter, a rogue, a druid, a sorceress, a bard, a paladin, a wizard, a ranger, a cleric and finally a warlock I don't have too many choices on what main character class(es) I should be. I'm thinking Sorcerer/Red Dragon Disciple/Monk.

That combo sounds fine, though really, why not just tweak things to fit how you'd like? I guess I kind of don't understand making a webcomic based on a story someone else has already told (though then again I am a big fan of Darths & Droids). Whatever you pick though, I wish you luck!

Raenir Salazar
2009-01-29, 12:23 AM
I'm a hobbiest writer and have written some short stories but I'm still very new, by taking an established visual D&D story with a linear plot, ie NWN2, it will A) give me practice with making a comic and B) by overlapping it with side quests test out my own story writing abilities and C) even in the OC I can still add m own flair to places where dialogue was lacking.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-29, 12:26 AM
I'm a hobbiest writer and have written some short stories but I'm still very new, by taking an established visual D&D story with a linear plot, ie NWN2, it will A) give me practice with making a comic and B) by overlapping it with side quests test out my own story writing abilities and C) even in the OC I can still add m own flair to places where dialogue was lacking.

Ah, your approach sounds good, particularly A! I just dove right into my first webcomic, and I can entirely empathize with the value of practice. :smallsmile:

Squark
2009-01-31, 07:36 PM
A few notes for training:

1.Both ABR (found on this forum) and Lightning made of Owls (http://www.mezzacotta.net/owls/) are collaborative webcomics (that is, anyone can make a comic strip), which could help you get some extra practice in before you start a full time comic. If you do post on one, make SURE to follow the rules. Don't do what I did with ABR and get a reputation they'll never let you live down (You blow up ONE citadel and you're branded for life...:smallfurious::smallbiggrin:)
2. Start with a schedule that's easy to meet, like 1-2 days a week. This will make it easier to keep up with.
3. Make a Buffer: Seriously. Have the next few weeks comics made in advance, so if something comes up, you can still update. This would have made making Tales of Squark (see my signiture) a LOT easier to keep up with.
4. Consider using a proper hosting site like Smackjeeves instead. I know you want to post it here, but both my own comic and several of the more succesful webcomics on this forum (Antiheroes and Remember) have migrated to their own site. With a hosting site, you can archive easily, and some sites will let you build the buffer easily (Smackjeeves allows you to set the comic upload date to a future date, and it won't be posted until then). You could always update both on this forum and here simultaneously, if you so choose.
5. Choose your Style: Do you want to go for dark humor, or a more light hearted style? Do you want to do this comic DM of the Rings style (sticking to the plot of the original as close as possible) or Darths and Droids style (Changing the plot significantly, to represent the notorious uncooperative nature of players)? Make these desicions now, rather than later.
6. Use the experience of those wiser than me. The resources page on Lightning made of Owls has links to both a wide variety of tutorials by experienced webcomic writers, and better fonts than what you probably have in your graphics program.
7. Make sure to download (legally) or buy a better graphics program than MS paint. I know some people will disagree with me, but while the learning curve on programs like Inkscape, Macromedia Fireworks, or Adobe Photoshop may be higher, in the long run, their utility will save your life. The ability to create templates alone is a lifesaver. Even the guide to making avatars with MS paint on this forum reccomends a different program to resize the avatar (and reduce pixalation). I personally use Inkscape, which is free, but Rich uses Photoshop, and Nameless (who writes a story of death) has done some amazing things with Fireworks (although he does copy and paste too much, but so do I).

Mad Mask
2009-01-31, 08:15 PM
Actually, Rich Burlew uses Adobe Illustrator. And unless you want do redo each characters for every panel, I wouldn't recommend photoshop, since it's not vectorial.

Bayar
2009-02-01, 03:49 AM
A few notes for training:

1.Both ABR (found on this forum) and Lightning made of Owls (http://www.mezzacotta.net/owls/) are collaborative webcomics (that is, anyone can make a comic strip), which could help you get some extra practice in before you start a full time comic. If you do post on one, make SURE to follow the rules. Don't do what I did with ABR and get a reputation they'll never let you live down (You blow up ONE citadel and you're branded for life...:smallfurious::smallbiggrin:)

:glare: you only blew up the citadel...

4. Consider using a proper hosting site like Smackjeeves instead. I know you want to post it here, but both my own comic and several of the more succesful webcomics on this forum (Antiheroes and Remember) have migrated to their own site. With a hosting site, you can archive easily, and some sites will let you build the buffer easily (Smackjeeves allows you to set the comic upload date to a future date, and it won't be posted until then). You could always update both on this forum and here simultaneously, if you so choose.

Would not reccomend it. I'd say start here, and if you see that you get sufficient fans and interest, THEN migrate. And Smackjeeves or Snafucomics are filled with webcomics that are HORRIBLE. So dont expect a lot of traffic there...

Squark
2009-02-01, 12:04 PM
You have a point there, Bayar. About the hosting sites I mean, not the citadel.:smallbiggrin:

Lyinginbedmon
2009-02-01, 12:11 PM
In ABR saying "I blew up ONE citadel and I'm branded for life!" is like saying "I nuked ONE whitehouse and I'm branded for life!"

Squark
2009-02-01, 12:30 PM
*sigh*

I was trying to be witty, lying.:smallannoyed:

Fawkes
2009-02-01, 01:26 PM
Would not reccomend it. I'd say start here, and if you see that you get sufficient fans and interest, THEN migrate. And Smackjeeves or Snafucomics are filled with webcomics that are HORRIBLE. So dont expect a lot of traffic there...

Yeah, I remember we had someone who kept plugging his comic, saying it was one of the best comics on DrunkDuck.com.

Yeah, congratulations. *rolls eyes*