PDA

View Full Version : Hold Spell

Halcyon_Dax
2006-10-04, 06:19 PM
This would either be a feat or a PRC's bonus feature Im working on.

Hold Spell

Prerequisites:

Benefits: You may cast an offensive spell into your hand prior to use. The spell appears in one of your hands and can be cast as an immediate action thereby expending the spell. Normal spellcasting rules apply when casting a spell into your hands. For example, arcane failure chance still applies, and you must have your hands free to cast (you need to be holding nothing) and you may cast a quickened spell into your hand, allowing you to hold 2 spells at once.

After spending a turn casting the spells into your hand(s) you cannot cast other spells until you have used the ones in hand.

The spells are still have the same range/ duration.

Example: Turn one, cast fireball and quickened fireball into hands. Enemies turn, enemy does whatever, you throw 2 fireballs. Turn two: You backflip and then summon a cup of tea.

Every round after the second that you spend holding spells like this there is a cumulative 10% chance the spell would go off in your hand.

When holding a spell the caster gets a 5+Spell Level Bonus to intimidate checks.

The caster may disapate spells held without firing them off without harm, but they loose those spells as if they cast them.

Visual Description: A ball of energy with a size corresponding to the level of spell. For instance, a cantrip would be the size of a golfball. A ninth level spell would be the size of a beach-ball. Obviously the spell would appear similar to the damage or effect delt. Lightning- sphere of crackling lightning, Rays held might appear like atoms, or similarly, like a beam shooting very fast around the outside of an invisible sphere.

Thoughts? ;D

Fax Celestis
2006-10-04, 06:22 PM
Can a Duskblade use this to make things like fireball Arcane Channelable?

HellFencer
2006-10-04, 07:40 PM
Interesting idea. Can't you already do this with certain spells like Shocking Grasp? I honestly don't see the benefit...

Fax Celestis
2006-10-04, 07:43 PM
Interesting idea. Can't you already do this with certain spells like Shocking Grasp? I honestly don't see the benefit...
Disintegrate in the palm of your hand.

Halcyon_Dax
2006-10-04, 07:59 PM
There are tons of benefits to being able to immediately cast!

Fill your hands at the end of a timestop!

Ready them before an ambush, loose them during your friends turn, then cast more on yours.

Intimidate people by holding pure their-death visibly in your hands!

More than likely it will be a part of a PRC that you can expect soon.

I dont really know that much about duskblades, Ill read up, but do you have any suggestions about how arcane channeling and this might be handled?

Fax Celestis
2006-10-04, 08:39 PM
Arcane channeling lets you basically cast touch-range spells as part of an attack. I'm wondering if one could use this to cast a spell that normally isn't a touch spell as a touch spell.

A point-blank fireball certainly has some problems, but could be very effective in the right situation.

Halcyon_Dax
2006-10-04, 09:38 PM
A point blank fireball with explosive metamagic? Yes please!

Oh and im a theif acrobat, so i kip up.

Gralamin
2006-10-04, 10:48 PM
I like it, So much In fact I made another feat to use with it allowing you to use Chidori (from the Naruto Series)
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11600164 17;start=0#0