PDA

View Full Version : Wizard or Sorcerer? No, this is different...

Random NPC
2009-01-29, 01:48 AM
Alright, I was reading the other thread and it got me thinking. These two caster do represent two different ways of thinking. One is emotional and the other is rational. One is reckless and the other one reserved. One plans and the other wings it spontaneously. One is a natural genius and the other one studies incredibly hard.

And I realized, I'm more sorcerer dominant. I do things in the last minute and rarely prepare ahead of time, I'm reckless too, and not only that, I'm charismatic :smallcool:

Where would you guys position yourselves? Sorcerer or Wizard?

Who_Da_Halfling
2009-01-29, 01:53 AM
I'm a huge procrastinator and, while maybe not charismatic per se, I'm a pretty good talker when I need to be.

Oh, and I HATE studying.

Sorcerer all the way.

-JM

Malacode
2009-01-29, 02:11 AM
Umm, is Warlock an option? But seriously, Sorc for me. I don't enjoy rote learning, I do things because I enjoy them and I never prepare for anything. Also, I only ever play spontaneous casters... Soo, yeah.

JonestheSpy
2009-01-29, 02:12 AM
One could also say that the sorcerer is conservative - relyting on the same tried and true methods to deal with all situations, and the wizard is more flexible and innovative, adapting themselves to each situation to the best of their ability - (and ability to predict).

I'd probably be more the sorcerer - even though I regard myself as very progressive intellectually/politically, my personal habits and methods are very slow to change and tend to fall back on what i know has worked out before.

Draz74
2009-01-29, 02:15 AM
I'm very analytical. My approach when a problem comes up is usually, "OK, let's think about this problem and see if we can find the best solution before we do anything."

So I'm definitely more of a Wizard, even though I prefer playing Sorcerers.

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-29, 02:20 AM
I'm a sorcerer who thinks he's a wizard. I spend an hour preparing for whatever it is I'm going to do, but handle all of my tasks exactly how I normally would--even without the preparation--regardless.

Abbott
2009-01-29, 04:34 AM
Can you be an Ultimate Magus?

Olo Demonsbane
2009-01-29, 09:40 AM
Can you be an Ultimate Magus?

Thats me. Ultiamate Magus all the way.

Delaney Gale
2009-01-29, 10:07 AM
I'm definitely a wizard- I'm all about knowledge for knowledge's sake, and if I don't know the answer... don't worry, I'll find it out, just let me at my books!

Also, I'm in academia, which is basically what wizarding culture is.

Kobold-Bard
2009-01-29, 10:15 AM
Follow the link in my sig. It'll tell you exactly what you are. 3.5 core only, sorry to disappoint all you Ultimate Magi.

valadil
2009-01-29, 10:25 AM
The way I see them is that the wizard is proactive whie the sorcerer is reactive.

The wizard prepares his spell lists to handle all the scenarios he can imagine. When he gets in combat he applies one of those scenarios to the situation the GM has put him in and casts spells accordingly. He likely has the answer as soon as he sees the combat.

The sorcerer makes a single list which can adapt to any scenario. It's a list of spells which are effective, though not optimal, in 99% of situations he'll face. He evaluates the situation and then picks the spell.

Mando Knight
2009-01-29, 10:26 AM
One is a natural genius and the other one studies incredibly hard.

The Sorcerer isn't really a natural genius... their spellcasting has nothing to do with intellectual capability (which falls under Intelligence and Wisdom). They tend to rather be an "idiot savant." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savant_syndrome)

That said, my intelligence leans toward Wizard, but I spend very little time ever preparing anything. However, I don't cast spells ever, so that could be the source of the problem. :smalltongue:

kamuishirou
2009-01-29, 10:35 AM
Ranger...oh wait, Sorcerer or Wizard?

I'd say I'm more of a Wizard than a Sorcerer. I like to have things planned out and love to use spread sheets to align everything ahead of time.

mikej
2009-01-29, 10:46 AM
Knowledge is power, but in most cases the Wizard has the rational mind to respect the power he/she controls. Sorcerers on the other hand show how destructive emotions can bring. What I'm trying to say is that the Wizard is in more controlled with what they learned, while the Sorcerer is reckless and destructive of its powers.

Aside from the high throne that some people put the Wizard on, I find that they're more humble. They worked hard to obtain there power while the Sorcerer is more arrogant with his/her inherited power without much effort but forth.

For me its a tough choice, I'm leaning more towards the Wizard. High intelligence is a great bonus, but the motivation to seek out answers is a big part of what makes a Wizard to me. Despite that I can be very reckless much like a Sorcerer.

Darth Stabber
2009-01-29, 10:53 AM
Psion. I'm more intellegent than charming, but rely upon split second spur of the moment decision making, than preparing things verbatim.

Starscream
2009-01-29, 11:32 AM
I'm definitely a wizard. I actually enjoy studying, going to libraries, having an obsessively detailed plan, etc.

Yeah, I'm a nerd, I don't deny it.

Dienekes
2009-01-29, 11:32 AM
Incredibly low level wizard.

I do try to prepare everything ahead of time, I ration the different aspects of my life, ect. However when things start happening I have a tendency to wing it.

Flickerdart
2009-01-29, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I'd go with Psion, too. I tend to improvise a lot, but my charisma can be charitably described as atrocious.

MammonAzrael
2009-01-29, 12:02 PM
No, This. Is. SPARTA!

...I'm sorry, I had to do it.

As for the OP, I'm certainly closer to Sorcerer than Wizard in class features, though much more intelligent than Charismatic. A fixed Truenamer would probably be closest though (as long as truespeak is C++ or Python :smalltongue:)

EDIT: Ooh, Psion works too (I haven't played with psionics yet, so I tend to forget those classes :smallsigh:).

Starbuck_II
2009-01-29, 12:38 PM
EDIT: Ooh, Psion works too (I haven't played with psionics yet, so I tend to forget those classes :smallsigh:).

You should. Theyt are much fun.

What about Wilder (Cha manifester)?
They are like Vulcans who let out their emotions in short bursts (incidentily remember on Star Trek when emotions were let out how much stronger their mind abilities were).

These burst are called Wild Surging.

alchemyprime
2009-01-29, 12:44 PM
I'm mainly a wizard. Very studious. But the class I'm most like? A bard. I'm ready for anything and yet ready for nothing...

Tyrmatt
2009-01-29, 02:24 PM
My friends would class me as a wizard. I always seem to have a plan for something. But the reality is that I'm making it up as I go. Just VERY quickly :D

Honestly, I identify with the druid the most. A learned master of nature, who bends the world to his will through gentle manipulation of the balance. That comes from being born under Libra. I'm always standing at the tipping point, nudging it back and forth to stop or encourage one thing or another.

Yukitsu
2009-01-29, 02:26 PM
Wizard. I calculate everything before I commit to it in terms of cost benefit ratios. Including spell selection for wizards. :smalltongue:

Salvonus
2009-01-29, 03:06 PM
Neither. I have mental stat penalties. :smalltongue:

The Mormegil
2009-01-29, 03:09 PM
I don't really know. I value knowledge over anything that a sorcerer could have. I am definitely rational, and maths-inclined. I always value preparation over improvisation. But I hate studying, applying and always end up winding something on the fly, school included. It also almost always work, so I suppose I'm good at it... I'm more of a natural genius than a hard worker (always talking school here). I think I have a very low Cha but good ranks in all Cha based abilities (very good Perform, Bluff, nice Diplomacy, nice Intimidate if you include insults and witty reposte...). I also think I have a decent Int, as I appear to have a great memory - except that sometimes it doesn't work: for example I memorize whole chapters of Physics and Maths by just reading them over once, then I spend a week on a History chapter and I don't understand a damn thing nor I remember the dates or infos inside - and good rational and logical capacities. But then, I'm also really bad at making counts, and always wind up making stupid mistakes (such as 3 times 13 = 69). And I am good in History because I can trick my teachers to believe I have studied while I really didn't (it works wonders if the teacher is not a genius). I also have a "genius" reputation in my class, except for the few people that really know me and know how little I study and know.

So... Ultimate Magus? None? :smallconfused:

Egiam
2009-01-29, 03:34 PM
Wizard. I'm a deep thinker that likes to plan things and do those planned things well. I want to finish what I start.

The spell variation thing also fits. I have a lot of different talents, rather than having few and being really good at them. Kind of Bard-y, but still....

Prometheus
2009-01-29, 03:35 PM
I'm a Wizard (Scientist) not a Sorcerer (Artist).

d13
2009-01-29, 03:48 PM
I'll take my chances with an Artificer.

I lack the Sorcerer's charisma and the Wizard's will to study xD

Weezer
2009-01-29, 04:46 PM
I'd probably be a wizard, I'm much more logical and practical than impulsive and instinctive. Also as I'm a scientist I'd look for the internal rules of magic, not accept that it works.

Illven
2009-01-29, 11:02 PM
I feel I have some qualities of both I'm always reading, and am intellgent and logical but I'm also lazy and am a natural leader and extermly maniplutive

mikeejimbo
2009-01-29, 11:06 PM
Out of Wizard or Sorcerer? Cleric.

Random NPC
2009-01-29, 11:27 PM
Now, don't get me wrong. I love science and I consider myself quite smart. No int penalties but nothing higher than 16 :smalltongue:

I guess I am a sorcerer who wants to be a wizard by investing in scrolls and other things like that. And it's not that I prefer tried and true methods, it's that I work with what I'm given and try to make it last.

Now if we go into psionics, my brother is a Wilder.

Out of Wizard or Sorcerer? Cleric.

pray on the exam and hope for the best? :smalltongue:

LurkerInPlayground
2009-01-30, 12:36 AM
Definately a wizard. I'm impulsive and I ironically hate reading walls of dry text out of a book. But my charisma still sucks balls.

That is to say, I'm usually smart enough to coast on talent. So I'm the wizard who probably didn't bother optimizing his spells or leveling up very high.

mikeejimbo
2009-01-30, 01:36 AM
pray on the exam and hope for the best? :smalltongue:

Basically, yep! :smallbiggrin:

Baron Malkar
2009-01-30, 04:44 AM
Factorum.

Both Sorc. and Wiz can reliably (for the most part) do what they are best at.
I mostly make s**t up and I ether Fail horribly or do astoundingly well. I also seem to have a talent for being able to see someone do something and replicate it 9 times out of 10. Finally the Factorum even has a class feature that perfectly suits my Religious Side (http://www.23ae.com/index.asp).

golentan
2009-01-30, 05:16 AM
Wizard who fakes being a sorcerer. I have epically low charisma, and lay elaborate plans based on known facts and study hard to bring them off.

Yet I manage to make it look like I'm winging it all the time, and pretend I don't care or think ahead more than an hour. Since I look like I'm winging it, I pull out the prepared item/plan/spell and it appears it was luck I had it with me or came up with the idea.

And that, my friends, is how a wizard should be played.

BobVosh
2009-01-30, 05:26 AM
Chicken infested commoner.

...I really don't want to talk about it.

Triaxx
2009-01-30, 09:29 AM
Sorcerer. I can manipulate the very essence of that which lets you manipulate reality through study. And all without having to crack a book.

lesser_minion
2009-01-30, 10:02 PM
I think I'd probably go with wizard if anything. Not a very good one though - probably Evoker. I'm disorganised, probably have a Wis penalty and I don't do too well in the Cha stakes either.